Why are Mormons so afraid of others.

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
And were any other variables considered when it was determined that altitude is the major contributing cause to suicide and depression?

Note that he whole thing is listed as a "hypothesis", which means "still in the stages of gathering evidence and conducting initial observations / experiments."

We might have other issues, but it'll take time for them to manifest.

Upvote 0
B

bbbbbbb

Note that he whole thing is listed as a "hypothesis", which means "still in the stages of gathering evidence and conducting initial observations / experiments."

We might have other issues, but it'll take time for them to manifest.

When one develops a hypothesis one usually waits until it is a theory before presenting it for critical review and comment.

I have many personal hypotheses about many things, but I will keep them to myself until I have enough evidence to develop a sound theory from them.

Upvote 0

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Feb 5, 2005
Wasatch Mountains
✟15,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Moscow, Russia elevation is 151 meters height, that is equal to 495 feet.

I just realized, to my horror, that I may be prone to clinical depression and/or suicide because my city is 95 feet (19%) higher in elevation than Moscow.
Alright! Where is the rolling on the ground laughing emoticon? :roll:

See, this is why I peek in when I can. You guys are always good for fun. :)

(yes, I'm still alive after a very hard semester. Barely) Which may or may not be a contributor to my clinical depression because this forum never has anything new to talk about. :)

Upvote 0
B

bbbbbbb

Alright! Where is the rolling on the ground laughing emoticon? :roll:

See, this is why I peek in when I can. You guys are always good for fun. :)

(yes, I'm still alive after a very hard semester. Barely) Which may or may not be a contributor to my clinical depression because this forum never has anything new to talk about. :)

Yes, but we have so much fun discussing (dissing?) with each other. ;)

Welcome back!

Upvote 0

KENIK

Spiritus intus alit
Sep 30, 2014
Pacific Northwest USA
✟7,675.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
To return to the subject . . . As a Friend (Quaker), I would witness and interject at this point that if one has the Spirit and has been redeemed in Christ, that one would not have need of ecclesiastical hierarchies and sacraments or Mormon prophets and First Presidencies.

The gift of prophecy that has been given to the Church would exclude the necessity of all these things. Also, given that Spiritual immediacy in the believers life, causing growth and maturation in the faith, it would render as pointless the further creation of more Scriptures, that would be used to cause further divisions within the Church.

Upvote 0

RevelationTestament

Our God is a consuming fire.
Apr 26, 2013
United States
✟19,404.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
To return to the subject . . . As a Friend (Quaker), I would witness and interject at this point that if one has the Spirit and has been redeemed in Christ, that one would not have need of ecclesiastical hierarchies and sacraments or Mormon prophets and First Presidencies.

The gift of prophecy that has been given to the Church would exclude the necessity of all these things. Also, given that Spiritual immediacy in the believers life, causing growth and maturation in the faith, it would render as pointless the further creation of more Scriptures, that would be used to cause further divisions within the Church.
Except maybe they aren't really for us, but for him. You conclude that somehow God's work is done, when He has not regathered Israel.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Feb 5, 2005
Wasatch Mountains
✟15,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, but we have so much fun discussing (dissing?) with each other. ;)

Welcome back!
Thanks, I just have to remember to come back. :p I'm still recovering from all the homework and now it seems I might have a full time job again. So....erm...and besides..I just can't take any of this seriously anymore.

I dunno why, I just don't care. I should but most of the time it all seems sooooo arbitrary and speculative. Ya know?

Upvote 0
B

bbbbbbb

Thanks, I just have to remember to come back. :p I'm still recovering from all the homework and now it seems I might have a full time job again. So....erm...and besides..I just can't take any of this seriously anymore.

I dunno why, I just don't care. I should but most of the time it all seems sooooo arbitrary and speculative. Ya know?

Indeed I do. Should I congratulate you on your full-time job or hope that you have time to recover before wading into this muck again?;)

Upvote 0

endofrope

Dec 9, 2014
✟7,715.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Mormons hold many, many doctrines and beliefs that put them well outside what is generally considered Christian orthodoxy. Most "denominations" would in fact, term them a cult. I am an ex mormon and this is my position. Google will quickly fill you in on what they really believe, and unbiblical it is. This is just their doctrines on their face. We don't even need to get into their history or more recent practices.

Do not be deceived. Learn at least a little about anyone claiming to be the Lord's. Oh, and doing this will shed some light on your original question.

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
The Mormons hold many, many doctrines and beliefs that put them well outside what is generally considered Christian orthodoxy. Most "denominations" would in fact, term them a cult. I am an ex mormon and this is my position. Google will quickly fill you in on what they really believe, and unbiblical it is. This is just their doctrines on their face. We don't even need to get into their history or more recent practices.

Do not be deceived. Learn at least a little about anyone claiming to be the Lord's. Oh, and doing this will shed some light on your original question.

Problem is, much of what you'll see on Google is either fake or wrong.

You see, far too many people who do not like the church see no problems in lying about us.

Upvote 0
B

bbbbbbb

Problem is, much of what you'll see on Google is either fake or wrong.

You see, far too many people who do not like the church see no problems in lying about us.

All one really needs to do is go to lds.org. There is more than enough information there to inform the inquirer regarding the unorthodox doctrines of the LDS.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Feb 5, 2005
Wasatch Mountains
✟15,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Of course we are unorthodox in our beliefs. And it's not like we haven't heard the LDS religion referred to as a cult. But if someone dared to look up the meaning of the word cult...they'd be in for a bit of a surprise.

Why do we put so much emphasis on being mainstream? What happened to the saying, Dare to be Different? Embrace our weirdness is what I say!

Upvote 0

Norah63

Jun 29, 2011
everlasting hills
✟14,569.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Actually unorthodox draws many because they are looking very close at something that they say they have no reason to believe in....... I don't get that logic.
Would I study every detail of golf and try and talk others out of golf.
Wanting to warn them, sometimes with cutting jabs, because I love them so much.
Such is the unorthodox world, awesomly different!

Reactions: Cassiopeia
Upvote 0

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Feb 5, 2005
Wasatch Mountains
✟15,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Actually unorthodox draws many because they are looking very close at something that they say they have no reason to believe in....... I don't get that logic.
Would I study every detail of golf and try and talk others out of golf.
Wanting to warn them, sometimes with cutting jabs, because I love them so much.
Such is the unorthodox world, awesomly different!

Well you could try but as an avid golfer...you have more chance of talking me out of my religion than my game of golf. ^_^

;)

Upvote 0

endofrope

Dec 9, 2014
✟7,715.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
LOL. I"m an insider with many LDS officials in my family. You're talking to someone who knows not only the available facts, but is very familiar with the people and their lives. So, go on, I'm listening....

You see, it DOES matter whether you believe that God is unique, and "there is none like Him" or that he was once a mere man, and that mere men can become "gods" by following your religion. It DOES matter whether you believe that Jesus is the second person of the Trinity, or whether He is basically the same sort of being as Lucifer, or your plumber, for that matter. My faith is in someone wholly unique and omnipotent, the First Cause and sustainer of all that is. The Bible clearly states that it is blasphemy to claim to be equal to God. Did not Satan say "I will be like the Most High"? For this, the Bible states, he was cast out, by a God who conceived and created him, whose equal he could never be, no matter what works he did. It is like a mug believing it could become the man who made it. And it goes on and on. Believe what you want, but please, don't try to equate your beliefs with what most people understand as Christianity.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Feb 5, 2005
Wasatch Mountains
✟15,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
LOL. I"m an insider with many LDS officials in my family. You're talking to someone who knows not only the available facts, but is very familiar with the people and their lives. So, go on, I'm listening....

You see, it DOES matter whether you believe that God is unique, and "there is none like Him" or that he was once a mere man, and that mere men can become "gods" by following your religion. It DOES matter whether you believe that Jesus is the second person of the Trinity, or whether He is basically the same sort of being as Lucifer, or your plumber, for that matter. My faith is in someone wholly unique and omnipotent, the First Cause and sustainer of all that is. The Bible clearly states that it is blasphemy to claim to be equal to God. Did not Satan say "I will be like the Most High"? For this, the Bible states, he was cast out, by a God who conceived and created him, whose equal he could never be, no matter what works he did. It is like a mug believing it could become the man who made it. And it goes on and on. Believe what you want, but please, don't try to equate your beliefs with what most people understand as Christianity.

I'm sorry, I'm confused. Why do you assume that being an insider as you say matters to me? I'm not sure what your following rant says but I will tell you that to claim we are not Christian is your opinion and you are welcome to it. It matters not to me what you think or who you might or might not be. One can be on the inside and view things in a skewed way due to bitterness and anger and judging. Good luck with that.

Upvote 0