Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Why are Mormons so afraid of the other Christian religions?

The Mormons seem to do more to divide families over religious dogma than any other Christian religion other than the Jehovah Witness. If a Mormon or Jehovah’s Witness decides to move to another Christian church, they are then shunned. Why is that?

What are they afraid of? Have they ever considered the Lord may just be leading that individual or family to another church?

The Bible says we are all different parts of the body of Christ, so why shun other Christians?

When I read the Mormon statement of faith I only have difficulty with eight and ten, actually only eight, I just can’t accept the book or Mormons as divinely inspired. As for ten, I don’t see Christ establishing his kingdom in North America, but I suppose he could establish it where ever he wanted.

So why can’t we come together on what we do agree upon, and lay aside the theological differences? This issue of different dogma isn’t just separating Mormons, but it has separated the Catholics from Protestants, and of course us Protestants have more denominations than we know what to do with, and most disagree on varied theology.

We are supposed to be leading people to God through His son Jesus Christ. One of the statements John Wesley made was, “Love God with all your heart, and love others as yourself, all the rest is just commentary.”

When Jesus was asked what were the greatest commandments he said, “Love God with all your heart, and your neighbor as yourself”. Shunning people isn’t loving them.

If you want and eye opener, no matter what denomination you belong to, ask members at random what the churches statement of faith is, and what is different about theirs than other denominations. You will find most don’t know.

I believe we need to focus on loving one another, and not dividing the body. Our focus should be leading non believers to Christ.

TasteForTruth

Half-truths are lies wearing makeup
Dec 2, 2010
✟16,765.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
RBPerry said:

The Mormons seem to do more to divide families over religious dogma than any other Christian religion other than the Jehovah Witness. If a Mormon or Jehovah’s Witness decides to move to another Christian church, they are then shunned. Why is that?

What are they afraid of? Have they ever considered the Lord may just be leading that individual or family to another church?

The Bible says we are all different parts of the body of Christ, so why shun other Christians?

When I read the Mormon statement of faith I only have difficulty with eight and ten, actually only eight, I just can’t accept the book or Mormons as divinely inspired. As for ten, I don’t see Christ establishing his kingdom in North America, but I suppose he could establish it where ever he wanted.

So why can’t we come together on what we do agree upon, and lay aside the theological differences? This issue of different dogma isn’t just separating Mormons, but it has separated the Catholics from Protestants, and of course us Protestants have more denominations than we know what to do with, and most disagree on varied theology.

We are supposed to be leading people to God through His son Jesus Christ. One of the statements John Wesley made was, “Love God with all your heart, and love others as yourself, all the rest is just commentary.”

When Jesus was asked what were the greatest commandments he said, “Love God with all your heart, and your neighbor as yourself”. Shunning people isn’t loving them.

If you want and eye opener, no matter what denomination you belong to, ask members at random what the churches statement of faith is, and what is different about theirs than other denominations. You will find most don’t know.

I believe we need to focus on loving one another, and not dividing the body. Our focus should be leading non believers to Christ.
Too few facts and too many assumptions/stereotypes in here to formulate an intelligent response.

Upvote 0

RevelationTestament

Our God is a consuming fire.
Apr 26, 2013
United States
✟19,404.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married

Ok. Wow, that's a one-sided view. Do you honestly feel that other Christians do not shun LDS converts? There are many examples of persons converting to the Church of Jesus Christ LDS who were shunned by their "Christian" families, friends, etc. I was surprised to learn of one convert shunned by his buddhist community in Asia. On the other hand I believe there are a lot fewer examples of LDS shunning people who leave the church. There is a certain segment which "avoids" non-members and try to encourage their children to play with other LDS children etc, but we have never really done that. Our children have always played with whoever they they made friends with. If you need examples of other "Christians" shunning LDS, I am sure any LDS can give many and varied examples.

Have you ever read the Book of Mormon? Do you believe there can be any more scripture outside of the books found in the Bible?
This is mainly because each interprets the scriptures differently, and because some of the truths of Christianity were lost over the millenia. If they were not lost, how come there are Protestant churches?

There is some wisdom here. Satan has done a good job of dividing up Christians so that they fight amongst themselves rather than leading people to Christ. After all there are some 4-5 billion people who don't know Christ.

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
It is no exaggeration to compare how Mormons have historically been treated in the US to how Jews have historically been treated in Russia or how Baha'is and Zoroastrians have been treated in Iran under the Mullahs.

We've been subject to state-sanctioned pogroms, our beliefs have been made illegal, courts have ignored our pleas, and murderers went free. Even today, merely self-identifying as Mormon in the wrong place can leave one subject to verbal abuse, shunning, or even threats of violence; in more than a few instances, these threats have led to actual violence, with individual members being severely injured or even killed. There's even a cottage industry devoted to tearing down the faith, and items that are clearly false - if not slanderous - are routinely published as if they were the truth, with those who go to correct it being accused of lying or other sinister actions / motives.

In that sense, I think you can imagine how "leaving the church" may be viewed as "joining the enemy."

Upvote 0
B

bbbbbbb

I think the root of the problem is the same as in any other religion which claims exclusivity. The LDS claims to be the one and only church of God on earth. As such, it does not recognize any other denomination as having any real legitimacy.

The LDS are hardly unique in this sort of mentality. All Mormon sects except the RLDS (now Community of Christ) share this view. The Catholic Church also has this mentality. Lest we limit ourselves to Christianity, it can be safely said that all Islamic denominations have this mentality. It seems, to me, to be part and parcel of human nature.

Upvote 0

joneysd

Apr 29, 2013
✟3,162.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

it shows they are scared that other will find the same things out about the lds...

I have read terrible stories of family's being split up because they have left the lds...

Upvote 0

joneysd

Apr 29, 2013
✟3,162.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It is no exaggeration to compare how Mormons have historically been treated in the US to how Jews have historically been treated in Russia or how Baha'is and Zoroastrians have been treated in Iran under the Mullahs.

We've been subject to state-sanctioned pogroms, our beliefs have been made illegal, courts have ignored our pleas, and murderers went free. Even today, merely self-identifying as Mormon in the wrong place can leave one subject to verbal abuse, shunning, or even threats of violence; in more than a few instances, these threats have led to actual violence, with individual members being severely injured or even killed. There's even a cottage industry devoted to tearing down the faith, and items that are clearly false - if not slanderous - are routinely published as if they were the truth, with those who go to correct it being accused of lying or other sinister actions / motives.

In that sense, I think you can imagine how "leaving the church" may be viewed as "joining the enemy."

lol..... ^_^

Upvote 0

RBPerry

Christian Baby Boomer
Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2013
Northern California
✟86,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Ok. Wow, that's a one-sided view. Do you honestly feel that other Christians do not shun LDS converts?

You are correct, they do, and they shouldn't. But two wrongs don't make a right. Attempting to redirect the focus to others that do the same is not a good way of debating an issue.

Have you ever read the Book of Mormon? Do you believe there can be any more scripture outside of the books found in the Bible?

Yes, from cover to cover. I'm not wishing to challenge your theology. My point is we who believe in God and His son Jesus Christ need to focus on bringing people to Christ, not fighting over differences. If the world seen Christianity united, it might be a little more accepting of our core beliefs.

This is mainly because each interprets the scriptures differently, and because some of the truths of Christianity were lost over the millenia. If they were not lost, how come there are Protestant churches?

You can blame Luther for starting the reformation. I'm very familiar with church history, and all have made some big mistakes. We Protestants don't have all the answers either, and we find plenty of issues to argue about. Those debates don't do anything to bring others to Christ.

After all there are some 4-5 billion people who don't know Christ.

Good point, that is what we need to focus on, and loving one another. That is why I choose to be a non denominational believer, I don't think any have all the answers. I also think there was a lot of wisdom in the Gnostic thinking, but I'm not jumping into that club.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RBPerry

Christian Baby Boomer
Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2013
Northern California
✟86,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
The LDS claims to be the one and only church of God on earth. As such, it does not recognize any other denomination as having any real legitimacy.

I have heard this before, but not from Mormons. I have two close friends that are Mormon, there statement is they believe other denominations have part of the truth, and they possess the full truth. I don't agree with them, but that is OK.

Upvote 0

RBPerry

Christian Baby Boomer
Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2013
Northern California
✟86,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
t shows they are scared that other will find the same things out about the lds...

I have read terrible stories of family's being split up because they have left the lds...

It's not just the LDS, I was raised Seventh Day Adventist. Same thing when I left I must have left with the plague because those who had been my friends no longer wanted to associate.

I must ask myself, who did Jesus reject?

Upvote 0

Moodshadow

Veteran
Jun 29, 2006
Flower Mound, TX
✟13,243.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Of my seven children, only two remain LDS. After I left the church, they were both very cool and distant to me, and one was downright hostile for a while. My relationship with both, I'm happy to report, is now wonderful, though they are both still totally unwilling to discuss anything remotely connected with religion. I am happy to attend the grandchildren's baptisms and programs, but we cannot discuss doctrine, period. Neither of them has a clue why I really left, simply because they will not let me tell them. It is almost as if they are afraid to find out. Both of them have a very happy relationship with their five other siblings who preceded me out, but they don't discuss religion either. As long as we all pretend the subject doesn't exist, everything is lovely. It's sad for all of us in a way, but at least it's better than it was. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that this is typical in part-member families.

Upvote 0

TasteForTruth

Dec 2, 2010
✟16,765.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
I have heard this before, but not from Mormons. I have two close friends that are Mormon, there statement is they believe other denominations have part of the truth, and they possess the full truth. I don't agree with them, but that is OK.
In the other statement "legitimacy" should be thought of in terms of authority to administer the ordinances (sacraments) of God's church and priesthood. Not legitimacy in terms of teaching truth. Your LDS friends spoke aright—LDS believe that all religions teach some degree of truth (some more than others, potentially). And we accept at face value God's declaration that the LDS church is the "only true and living church upon the face of the whole earth" (D&C 1:30).

Upvote 0
B

bbbbbbb

Thank you for agreeing with my point. The fact does remain that the LDS, although recognizing the existence of other denominations, views them as apostate, having become so shortly after the first century. It was Joseph Smith who "restored" the Church to its rightful place as the one and only true Church of Jesus Christ on the earth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RevelationTestament

Our God is a consuming fire.
Apr 26, 2013
United States
✟19,404.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
You are correct, they do, and they shouldn't. But two wrongs don't make a right. Attempting to redirect the focus to others that do the same is not a good way of debating an issue.
If you didn't want to discuss it, maybe you shouldn't have brought it up. I'm just pointing out that the LDS who do this are by no means unique among "Christians."

Yes, from cover to cover. I'm not wishing to challenge your theology. My point is we who believe in God and His son Jesus Christ need to focus on bringing people to Christ, not fighting over differences. If the world seen Christianity united, it might be a little more accepting of our core beliefs.
The world will see a big change soon enough.

You can blame Luther for starting the reformation. I'm very familiar with church history, and all have made some big mistakes. We Protestants don't have all the answers either, and we find plenty of issues to argue about. Those debates don't do anything to bring others to Christ.
I don't blame Luther for the reformation, but the church for going astray - the "sale" of indulgences, and the many other abuses. If I were in Luther's shoes, I would have done similarly. He just wanted to reform the church and get rid of the abuses, but the church didn't want to reform its money-raising ways or show that it needed to change.

Good point, that is what we need to focus on, and loving one another. That is why I choose to be a non denominational believer, I don't think any have all the answers. I also think there was a lot of wisdom in the Gnostic thinking, but I'm not jumping into that club.
Certainly most Christians share basic principles of the gospel - it is when it comes to the particulars that they can't agree. Unfortunately, I feel that Christianity has suffered a general degradation in America, until people just go to church to be entertained, "praise the Lord," and pay their tithe. There is little emphasis on service or works - people don't want to be bothered with this in their busy lives so pay others to prepare their music and services. Indeed, many now preach they cannot lose their salvation. They teach of Christ, but do they do His works? It seems calling them to follow Christ will do little to stem this tide...
But you of course are welcome to try.

Upvote 0

RBPerry

Christian Baby Boomer
Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2013
Northern California
✟86,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
And we accept at face value God's declaration that the LDS church is the "only true and living church upon the face of the whole earth" (D&C 1:30).

My post was not intended to begin a debate about any "true church", too many already think they are the only ones with the correct theology. Christ never wanted his church divided. After the reformation the divisions began mainly in the 19th century. Satan has done a very good job of dividing the body of Christ. It is my contention we should put theology aside and focus on serving Christ, following his commands, and uniting Christians as merely Christians.
The problem is denominations, each is scared to death of losing membership, because with membership comes money, that can build bigger and fancier churches. There is a lot the Mormons do that I truly respect. I think their missions service requirement is a great idea.
My Mormon friends would give me the shirt off their backs if I needed it, and I would do the same for them. We are Christians and we are to love one another.

Upvote 0

TasteForTruth

Dec 2, 2010
✟16,765.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
My post was not intended to begin a debate about any "true church", too many already think they are the only ones with the correct theology. Christ never wanted his church divided. After the reformation the divisions began mainly in the 19th century. Satan has done a very good job of dividing the body of Christ. It is my contention we should put theology aside and focus on serving Christ, following his commands, and uniting Christians as merely Christians.
The problem is denominations, each is scared to death of losing membership, because with membership comes money, that can build bigger and fancier churches. There is a lot the Mormons do that I truly respect. I think their missions service requirement is a great idea.
My Mormon friends would give me the shirt off their backs if I needed it, and I would do the same for them. We are Christians and we are to love one another.
Nor was my intent to start a debate about the true Church. I only wished to clarify the reason for which we hold to the claim...that it wasn't because we did some kind of assessment or analysis and then drew that conclusion. It is not a bragging point.

The differences in our theology need only be points of contention if we choose to make them so. I agree with you that we are to love one another, and leave the accounting for one's beliefs to the individual and God.

That said, I stop short of the position that it doesn't matter if we ever attempt to share with others the truth we possess. It does matter. Spreading the Gospel has been a hallmark of Christianity since the beginning, and one cannot count himself a disciple if he passes by the spiritually lost. We are to be evangelical good Samaritans, as well as temporal ones.

Upvote 0
B

bbbbbbb

Nor was my intent to start a debate about the true Church. I only wished to clarify the reason for which we hold to the claim...that it wasn't because we did some kind of assessment or analysis and then drew that conclusion. It is not a bragging point.

The differences in our theology need only be points of contention if we choose to make them so. I agree with you that we are to love one another, and leave the accounting for one's beliefs to the individual and God.

That said, I stop short of the position that it doesn't matter if we ever attempt to share with others the truth we possess. It does matter. Spreading the Gospel has been a hallmark of Christianity since the beginning, and one cannot count himself a disciple if he passes by the spiritually lost. We are to be evangelical good Samaritans, as well as temporal ones.

Hence, we have a solid rationale for Mormons evangelizing members of other Christian denominations.

Upvote 0

RBPerry

Christian Baby Boomer
Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2013
Northern California
✟86,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

This is an excellent point. Once someone has submitted their life to Christ it is important to grow in knowledge and understanding. Remembering that the Holy Spirit will lead us into all truths. I have questioned in my own mind if the varied denominations don't fill a specific spiritual need in the individual. Although I was raised SDA they did not fulfill the spiritual needs that I had, but they obviously serve the needs of many others, and for that I will praise God. If a Mormon leads someone to Christ, then who am I to judge.

Upvote 0