Why are Creationists Obsessed with the Grand Canyon?

nvxplorer

Senior Contributor
Jun 17, 2005
✟20,675.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
Allllllright then, am I good to checkmark this thread for deletion, or is there anything else I can help you guys with?
You don't get it, do you?

You would save yourself and everyone else much time if you either used a period (.) as the sole component of your posts, thus taking us to the only point you have to make: If it disagrees (with my interpretation) of the KJV Bible - it's wrong.

Alternatively, you could simply copy your signature as the body of all your replies. (That it's your interpretation of scripture at issue is undertstood. ;) )

Upvote 0

MrGoodBytes

Seeker for life, probably
Mar 4, 2006
✟22,772.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I hate to think what my life would be like, had I adopted AV's mindset.

Imagine it: there's nothing in the world left to discover, because almost everything out there contradicts the Bible and therefore cannot be true. There is no sense of awe before the vastness of this universe, no desire to understand and enlighten - there is only 1000 pages of ancient parables and "Shlomo begat Joseph, and Joseph begat Mordecai, and Mordecai..."and that is your supreme authority on what is right and wrong - worse yet, on what is real or not.

AV, I really feel sorry for you.

Upvote 0

rmwilliamsll

avid reader
Mar 19, 2004
✟7,946.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
If the scientist are not going to confirm to us (creationists) that the world was formed in a certain way (creation) and was modified dramatically ( the Flood) in another way than as creationists we have no other option but to use our own limited knowledge and apply our God given intelligene to come to our own conclusions. We can be no more criticized for our lack of scientific expertise than a scientist can be held responsible for his ignorance of the significant truth of God's Word .
When you play in someone else's sandbox, it is your responsibility to learn the rules of their game.

you say:
in another way than as creationists we have no other option but to use our own limited knowledge and apply our God given intelligene to come to our own conclusions
but yet are unwilling to learn the basic understanding of the field. Rather than building on what other people have done (including many Christians) you wish to force the science into your common sense and naive boxes. The problem is that things don't work that way.

likewise if a scientist wants to talk about religion as in: "We can be no more criticized for our lack of scientific expertise than a scientist can be held responsible for his ignorance of the significant truth of God's Word ." then you can claim ownership of this sandbox and demand that they learn the ropes and pay their dues as well.

the big problem is that biology and how God really did create the life we see around us today, is their sandbox, not religion's. The Scriptures can and do speak to the heart of people doing science and inform these Christians about many things that impact their work, but it does not inform them of the content of their studies, creation itself does that.

when you make demands like this, you come off not only as ignorant but an arrogant ignorance, content with sitting in it's own sandbox and demanding that everyone else obey your rules even though they are playing in their own areas, with their own rules, that you never seem to take the time even to understand.

Upvote 0

lemmings

Veteran
Nov 5, 2006
California
✟18,469.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Allllllright then, am I good to checkmark this thread for deletion, or is there anything else I can help you guys with?
Why?

The question as to why the Grand Canyon is used rather than other geological structures in support for the Flood has never properly been answered. Creationists have presented a list of reasions as to why they believe, but thusfar they have been unable to defend their position. At the very least, rather than deletion; anyone who is offended by this thead can simply ignore it and let it slowly die and pass into forum history.

Upvote 0

Tomk80

Titleless
Apr 27, 2004
Maastricht
Visit site
✟21,582.00
Faith
Agnostic
If the scientist are not going to confirm to us (creationists) that the world was formed in a certain way (creation) and was modified dramatically ( the Flood) in another way than as creationists we have no other option but to use our own limited knowledge and apply our God given intelligene to come to our own conclusions. We can be no more criticized for our lack of scientific expertise than a scientist can be held responsible for his ignorance of the significant truth of God's Word .
Yeah, that's really the only option right? Avoid trying to do crazy, evil stuff like, heaven forbid, actually studying geology.

Upvote 0

DailyBlessings

O Christianos Cryptos; Amor Vincit Omnia!
Oct 21, 2004
Berkeley, CA
Visit site
✟30,234.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And you can redeem yourself by asking for things in a polite manner otherwise you will find yourself on my ever -increasing ignore list
Whoa, I just think I figured out how the Creationist regulars manage to maintain their positions... When it seems like they are ignoring the responses given to their questions, they actually are!

Though I agree that many could use some lessons in etiquette. Yes, myself included.

Upvote 0

A4C

Secrecy and Christ likeness cannot co-exist
Aug 9, 2004
✟3,626.00
Faith
Christian
One thing I like about open discussion is that you can believe things because you believe things -not because somebody says -"This is what you have to believe". The option is that others can believe what you do if they want but there is no compulsion to do so. What I have found is that when it comes to geology related to the Flood there is little understanding in the scientific community which is more a fault of the lack of influence of the "organised" Church than anything else I would say.

Upvote 0

Dal M.

...more things in heaven and earth, Horatio...
Jan 28, 2004
Ohio
✟9,758.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
If you ask nicely I will explain to the best of my ability...

I already did. If you're expecting people to kneel before you and beg for your wisdom - wisdom which they have no reason to suspect you've got - then your ego needs recalibrated.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lemmings

Veteran
Nov 5, 2006
California
✟18,469.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I already did. If you're expecting people to kneel before you and beg for your wisdom - wisdom which they have no reason to suspect you've got - then your ego needs recalibrated.
He just openly admited to believeing because he believed. You are not going to get an argument out of him. I feel sorry for the entire population of thesic scientists who have read this thead.

Upvote 0