Why are Creationists Obsessed with the Grand Canyon?

lemmings

Veteran
Nov 5, 2006
California
✟18,469.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
It seems like a Creationist mentions the Grand Canyon at least once in every flood thread. Why is this? There are bigger canyons in the world, look at the Mariana Trench; it is over five miles deeper at 35,000 feet. With the Grand Canyon, one can explain its creation with “rapid” erosion from the Colorado River. The Mariana Trench however relays on plate tectonics for explanation. Even Mount Everest’s growth over 4mm a year could theoretically be used by Creationists in support for their “cork Earth” theories where the surface is bobbing up and down on a giant subterranean ocean.

DailyBlessings

O Christianos Cryptos; Amor Vincit Omnia!
Oct 21, 2004
Berkeley, CA
Visit site
✟30,234.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Popular location, one which Creationists are likely to have visited at some point, being Americans for the most part. Why focus on a far flung underwater phenomenon that is not only more difficult to explain, but also unfamiliar to many? Creation-evolution has always been a debate of opinions and ideologies, not facts.

Upvote 0

lemmings

Veteran
Nov 5, 2006
California
✟18,469.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I just don't see how someone can call this a rip in the Earth's crust.
grand-canyon.jpg

Yet they compeltly ignore an object hundreds of times larger.
6284.gif

Most Creationists are just like parrots just repeating the same words that they hear from ICR, AIG, and Hovind; this is why we have so many PRATT lists. However their leaders should be capable of formulating new arguments that should be even harder to debate.

An obscure geological phenomenon of which we know nearly nothing about should be a prime target for those seeking to use the name 'God' as a form of superglue to fill in the gaps of science.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Most Creationists are just like parrots just repeating the same words that they hear from ICR, AIG, and Hovind; this is why we have so many PRATT lists. However their leaders should be capable of formulating new arguments that should be even harder to debate.

I don't mention either canyon at all, and I lived right by the Marianas Trench for 3 1/2 years - and my Four Biblical Proofs Against Evolution still stand.

Upvote 0

Nooj

Senior Veteran
Jan 9, 2005
Sydney
✟19,215.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
AU-Greens
Most Americans are familiar with the grand pictures of the Grand Canyon. In many ways, it's a national symbol. Just like the Statue of Liberty or the Empire State Building. Explaining the Grand Canyon earns more brownie points with the average American. It's like how in all the disaster movies, all the prominent symbols and buildings are shown getting destroyed (Day After Tomorrow, Independence Day etc)

Upvote 0

moogoob

Resident Deist
Jun 14, 2006
✟16,082.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
CA-Others
I don't mention either canyon at all, and I lived right by the Marianas Trench for 3 1/2 years - and my Four Biblical Proofs Against Evolution still stand.
You lived in the middle of the Atlantic?

Edit: And on the topic of big geographical formations, what about Valles Marineris on Mars? Or the rest of the cosmos, for that matter?

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
You lived in the middle of the Atlantic?

Psst, Pacific. If AV was in the Navy or Air Force he likely was stationed on Guam.

And to the OP, don't forget the other current favorite Creationist PRATT generator - Mt. St. Helens.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

A4C

Secrecy and Christ likeness cannot co-exist
Aug 9, 2004
✟3,626.00
Faith
Christian
The Grand canyon is a good example of Flood geology. It contains obvious sedimentary layers with masses of soil and minerals and fossillised plant and animal life consistent with these being displaced from surrounding tropical vegetated mountainous areas. It also includes evidence of catastrophic erosion of those soft sediments as massive volumes of water receded causing formations only possible by the action of such a dramatic set of geological circumstances as would be present during the period of a world wide flood.

Upvote 0

lemmings

Veteran
Nov 5, 2006
California
✟18,469.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Can you please elaborate on how you came to this conclusion? And why is it that the others do no qualify as Flood compatible?

To me it would seem that a volume of water traveling at close, if not over, the speed of sound would result in all of the fossils, vegetation, and sediment within several hundred miles being effectively obliterated; yet we do not see this. Thus for the Flood story to be true, there must be dozens of Grand Canyons all around the world.

Upvote 0

Pete Harcoff

PeteAce - In memory of WinAce
Jun 30, 2002
✟9,874.00
Faith
Other Religion
The Grand canyon is a good example of Flood geology. It contains obvious sedimentary layers with masses of soil and minerals and fossillised plant and animal life consistent with these being displaced from surrounding tropical vegetated mountainous areas. It also includes evidence of catastrophic erosion of those soft sediments as massive volumes of water receded causing formations only possible by the action of such a dramatic set of geological circumstances as would be present during the period of a world wide flood.
It also contains trace fossils (i.e. nests, burrows, prints) that wouldn't have formed in flood, features like sheer vertical walls or Redwall Cavern that would be impossible to form in soft sediment, angular unconformities that suggest gradual erosion within layers, and fossil sorting that precludes the type of sorting you'd get in a flood.

All in all, the grand canyon is an excellent refutation to the idea of a global flood.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

A4C

Aug 9, 2004
✟3,626.00
Faith
Christian
It also contains trace fossils (i.e. nests, burrows, prints) that wouldn't have formed in flood,
All are explanable by the Flood model
features like sheer vertical walls
a result of cliff collpse due to undercutting by rapid receding water flows
or Redwall Cavern
undercuting that didn't cause collapse
that would be impossible to form in soft sediment,
rather they would be impossible to form except by a flood
angular unconformities
upheaval of previously laid down sediment during the course of the Flood
that suggest gradual erosion within layers,
the evidence suggest all erosion occurred AFTER all the sediment was laid down which really doesn't suggest long time periods
and fossil sorting that precludes the type of sorting you'd get in a flood.
On the contrary the "fossil sorting" is more idicative of a flood than any other suggestion
All in all, the grand canyon is an excellent refutation to the idea of a global flood.
Actually there is no other feasible way of formation of the Grand Canyon other than by a huge flood.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
A4C that is probably one of the worst Ad Hoc responses I have seen you post around here in a long time. You can redeem yourself by doing me a favor. Would you explain:

- what trace fossils are found in the Grand Canyon and how they are explained by the Flood.
- the composition of the rock that forms the sheer walls and how they formed during the Flood.
- the composition of Redwall Canyon and how it was formed during the Flood.
On this last two could you provide details explaining why one area was undermined and collapsed while another one was and didn't.

Upvote 0

A4C

Aug 9, 2004
✟3,626.00
Faith
Christian
A4C that is probably one of the worst Ad Hoc responses I have seen you post around here in a long time. You can redeem yourself by doing me a favor. Would you explain:

- what trace fossils are found in the Grand Canyon and how they are explained by the Flood.
- the composition of the rock that forms the sheer walls and how they formed during the Flood.
- the composition of Redwall Canyon and how it was formed during the Flood.
On this last two could you provide details explaining why one area was undermined and collapsed while another one was and didn't.
And you can redeem yourself by asking for things in a polite manner otherwise you will find yourself on my ever -increasing ignore list

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
And you can redeem yourself by asking for things in a polite manner otherwise you will find yourself on my ever -increasing ignore list

If you're unable to answer, that's fine. I understand.

Upvote 0

notto

Legend
May 31, 2002
Visit site
✟22,369.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
It also contains trace fossils (i.e. nests, burrows, prints) that wouldn't have formed in flood, features like sheer vertical walls or Redwall Cavern that would be impossible to form in soft sediment, angular unconformities that suggest gradual erosion within layers, and fossil sorting that precludes the type of sorting you'd get in a flood.

And don't forget the eroded lava dams. Certain creationists always neglect to discuss the eroded lava dams when talking about the 'soft sediment' that the canyon contains.

Upvote 0