Who was the founder of the Catholic Church?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaliforniaJosiah

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2005
✟206,695.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
IMO...

The founder of the catholic church was Jesus Christ.
Catholic means "whole" "complete" "universal" "all-embracing." It is the mystal union of ALL believers - past, present and future.

The founder of the Roman Catholic Denomination is something history doesn't record. It's not even possible to know when it became a denomination - that seems to have been a very slow, gradual evolution. I sincerely doubt any one person was responsible for that.

MY view...

Pax.

- Josiah

Upvote 0

canadiancatholic

Aug 14, 2005
✟8,032.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
CaliforniaJosiah said:
IMO...

Catholic means "whole" "complete" "universal" "all-embracing." It is the mystal union of ALL believers - past, present and future.

The founder of the Roman Catholic Denomination is something history doesn't record. It's not even possible to know when it became a denomination - that seems to have been a very slow, gradual evolution. I sincerely doubt any one person was responsible for that.

MY view...

Pax.

- Josiah
Funny,The RCC considers itself "Universal". Are you under the impression that the RCC isn't a Christian church? With all your comparisons between the RCC and the LDS, one would think you hold us in the same regard. I'll pray for your enlightenment.
canadiancatholic

Upvote 0

stray bullet

God Made Me A Skeptic
Nov 16, 2002
✟20,457.00
Marital Status
Private
CaliforniaJosiah said:
IMO...

All believers, so that includes Buddhists, Muslims and Jews?

The founder of the Catholic Church is something history doesn't record. It's not even possible to know when it became a denomination - that seems to have been a very slow, gradual evolution. I sincerely doubt any one person was responsible for that.

History does record it- in Matthew 16. We can look at the early centuries of Christianity through canonical and non-canonical texts and see this confirmed. History also shows how each and every Christian group, from the obscure Gnostics to the Mormons were founded... from Magus to Smith.

It is interesting how we can see the emergence of every Christian group, including the Christians themselves, but you insist that we just don't know how the Catholic Church got started. We do know how it go started, even secular sources will say when it got started- at Pentecost.

What is in dispute is not how or by whom, but when. The question of when the Catholic Church got started depends on your view of which Church broke from which and which See holds the foundation of the Church.

Upvote 0

Combatchuc11

Oct 2, 2005
✟365.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
stray bullet said:
We do know how it go started, even secular sources will say when it got started- at Pentecost.
What sources? Couldn't I very well say my church got started at pentecost? Not trying to be be belligerent, just not seeing the connection.

Upvote 0

stray bullet

God Made Me A Skeptic
Nov 16, 2002
✟20,457.00
Marital Status
Private
Combatchuc11 said:
What sources? Couldn't I very well say my church got started at pentecost? Not trying to be be belligerent, just not seeing the connection.

The Church of the five apostolic Sees and apostles began at Pentecost according to historical sources (united, apostolic, five Sees) and the bible (at Pentecost).

Christianity later divided up into the Catholic, Orthodox and Coptic Churches. Who broke up with whom and who holds the foundation of the faith is a matter of debate and faith and thus, it is debatable as to who was the original, legitimate Church. Often third party sources will call the first five or ten centuries the "One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church", ending at the Coptic or Catholic/Orthodox splits.

This historical account can also be found on wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Christian-lineage.png

Upvote 0

Maximus

Orthodox Christian
Jun 24, 2003
✟7,903.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
holyorders said:
Not trying to be smart or anything. The Lutherans have Luther. And other churches have their founders.

Some say that the Catholic Church is wrong, and some even say pagan. If that is the case then the founder was wrong. And honestly if the founder of the Catholic Church isn't Jesus then who is it? I want to know if someone can be specific.

Our God and Savior Jesus Christ founded the Catholic Church.

Upvote 0

stray bullet

God Made Me A Skeptic
Nov 16, 2002
✟20,457.00
Marital Status
Private
Combatchuc11 said:
Well, moving back, does everyone agree that we could say any church in line with the biblical teachings of Christ is "the church" as one would say?

That depends on your view of what is the 'church'- if you are protestant, then you believe that the church is just another name for all Christians. This, obviously, would be argued as a convenient and self-justifying modern position.

If you are Catholic, then you believe the See of Rome is the foundation of the Church and all Churches in union with the Apostolic See are the true, original Church- founded by Christ giving the Keys of Heaven to Peter, who passes it on to his successors (the Popes).

If you are Orthodox/Coptic/etc then you believe the Catholic Church broke away, rather than Orthodox/Coptic/etc broke away. If you are Muslim, Gnostic, Mormon and in some protestant circles, then you believe the Catholic Church fell away from the truth and it doesn't exist anymore, never really existed or re-exists as a new church.

Upvote 0

Combatchuc11

Oct 2, 2005
✟365.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So, because the churches that Paul founded weren't in line with the church at Jerusalem and Paul himself taught not to claim humans as their leader (1 Cor 3:21 So then, no more boasting about men! Allthings are yours, 22whether Paul or Apollos or Cephas[c] or the world or life or death or the present or the future—all are yours, 23and you are of Christ, and Christ is of God.) And for many years went off founding churches of gentiles and had no contact with Peter (Galations 1:17), or the church at Jerusalem, is it to be believed that those churches, which make up a fair portion of the new testament were not truly churches because they were not subject to the teachings of the church or churches that Peter presided over? Or are we to believe that Paul went around preaching that Peter was the pope, althought it was never mentioned in any of his epistles?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CaliforniaJosiah

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2005
✟206,695.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
CaliforniaJosiah said:
IMO...

StrayBullet said:
All believers, so that includes Buddhists, Muslims and Jews?

No, Christians.

CaliforniaJosiah said:

StrayBullet said:
History does record it- in Matthew 16.

Not in my Bible.

My Bible says nothing in Matthew 16 about the Roman Catholic Denomination - or any other for that matter.

MY view...

Pax.

- Josiah

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.