Who was the founder of the Catholic Church?

Status
Not open for further replies.

holyorders

Miserable Pile of Secrets
Aug 27, 2004
✟3,631.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Not trying to be smart or anything. The Lutherans have Luther. And other churches have their founders.

Some say that the Catholic Church is wrong, and some even say pagan. If that is the case then the founder was wrong. And honestly if the founder of the Catholic Church isn't Jesus then who is it? I want to know if someone can be specific.

Asinner

Seeking Salvation
Jul 15, 2005
✟22,772.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
holyorders said:
Not trying to be smart or anything. The Lutherans have Luther. And other churches have their founders.

Some say that the Catholic Church is wrong, and some even say pagan. If that is the case then the founder was wrong. And honestly if the founder of the Catholic Church isn't Jesus then who is it? I want to know if someone can be specific.

Jesus Christ. :)

God Bless

Upvote 0

Combatchuc11

Oct 2, 2005
✟365.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's all "he said, she said" Jesus told Peter that Peter would be the rock and what not and the Catholics therefore claim Peter as the first pope and thus lead-guy of the catholic church. Since Luther popped up and said the Catholics were wrong, Protestants could just as easily say Peter was the leader of the first church and thus the leader of all PROTESTANT churches because Luther claimed the catholics had gone astray from Jesus' teachings. I honestly could not say when the catholics first because catholics. I'd recommend searching SECULAR documentation on the founding of the catholic church so you can get the record of who came out and said "we are Catholics, hear us roar."

Upvote 0

IgnatiusOfAntioch

Contributor
May 3, 2005
Visit site
✟23,767.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
holyorders said:

Jesus Christ. But I've got a feeling that you already knew that.

Pax.

Upvote 0

holyorders

Aug 27, 2004
✟3,631.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
GraceInHim said:
here is the game, who is higher and who is smaller.. rather be humble and stick with Jesus Christ :)
Nothing intended. If there is a single solution to a church that is what all His people should follow. Do Protestants have the right and authority to tell the Catholic Church that they lost the Holy Spirit?

Catholics are accused a lot of being "high and mighty" and some are very pompous and rude. But its not about being the best, is it? Its about making sure we are following the Master and not some hypocrite/deciever. I am aiming for Truth and Love not for power. The Blessed truly are the meek, and so is those who hunger and thirst for righteousness [not to prove one wrong but to find Truth]

I just ask so I can be sure that I and everyone else can be in the right church..... the church with the Holy Spirit. Somehow I just don't think its the way we make it[make a church] to be...........that would be our will and not God's will.

Not trying to argue... just trying to make a point.

Upvote 0

Combatchuc11

Oct 2, 2005
✟365.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
holyorders said:
I just ask so I can be sure that I and everyone else can be in the right church..... the church with the Holy Spirit.
As you see it, by what standards should we judge a church before it is considered "the right church"and "with the holy spirit"?

Upvote 0

holyorders

Aug 27, 2004
✟3,631.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Combatchuc11 said:
As you see it, by what standards should we judge a church before it is considered "the right church"and "with the holy spirit"?
What I want would ultimately be sinful and not the Will of God for a church. My church has done horrible things and we have admitted it. You'll catch a few bad ones trying to cover stuff up sometimes- thats cause people can willfully reject God...this includes Popes [infallibility is a strange doctrine that is very rarely used due to the "ex cathedra" stuff]

Has anyone actually thought about how much Catholicism has done for the world? Even looking at the lay [common] Catholic's contributions to the world. It, I would hope, at the very least prove that the Catholic Church isn't some evil force in society.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

oworm

Veteran
Nov 24, 2003
United States
Visit site
✟12,171.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
Combatchuc11 said:
Oh, I don't think the catholic church is evil or anything like that, I just meant if we were to define what "the right church" was, what standards would we use?
Scripture provides the only standard :)

Upvote 0

holyorders

Aug 27, 2004
✟3,631.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Combatchuc11 said:
Oh, I don't think the catholic church is evil or anything like that, I just meant if we were to define what "the right church" was, what standards would we use?
My church uses Scripture and Tradition. Both infallible on there own and yet totally subject to the fallibility of interpreters.

Ultimately any standard will get misiterpreted by someone in the end [I hate original sin]. All we have is the hope in God that the Holy Spirit is guiding the spiritual leaders..... although just because they [spiritual leaders] can reject the Holy Spirit it does not necessarily mean that every part of the church is wrong nor does it mean that the Holy Spirit would leave the church in question and never come back [after all there is a covenant there].

Upvote 0

holyorders

Aug 27, 2004
✟3,631.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Combatchuc11 said:
ok, so you would say that the right church is in line with both scripture AND your church traditions?
The traditions of the Early Church. The Capital "T" not the lowercase "t'. The lowercase "t' ultimately is personal piety and spiritual edification. We want to be following the stuff the apostles were teaching [which there is a good amount in the NT] but also teachings that carried through the first 400 or so years of Christianity.

My church and the Orthodox church have attempted with the best we can [with hopefully the help of the Holy Spirit] to follow this. I think there have been other churches that have tried too. Ultimately the 1st step is to try to find Early Church writings and follow the paper trail to the present as best as possible. What else do we have? What else could we do? Assuming that the Early Church was passing along the Holy Spirit and other teachings.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GraceInHim

† Need a lifeguard? Mine walks on water †
Oct 25, 2005
MA
✟24,206.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
holyorders said:
Nothing intended. If there is a single solution to a church that is what all His people should follow. Do Protestants have the right and authority to tell the Catholic Church that they lost the Holy Spirit?
I see mostly questions asked and posts made conerning doctrines, you know how many times I was called a PROTESTant, when I never knew about Luther? Do I care? NO.. oh and many times called a Judasim kind.. let God deal with people who want to judge.

Catholics are accused a lot of being "high and mighty" and some are very pompous and rude. But its not about being the best, is it? Its about making sure we are following the Master and not some hypocrite/deciever. I am aiming for Truth and Love not for power. The Blessed truly are the meek, and so is those who hunger and thirst for righteousness [not to prove one wrong but to find Truth]
So are many other Churches and faiths, as I said.. by asking who was first, the one who follows Jesus.. it is people not a stone building.. everyone who believes, obeys, follows him rather then thier own carnal lives.. ;)

I just ask so I can be sure that I and everyone else can be in the right church..... the church with the Holy Spirit. Somehow I just don't think its the way we make it[make a church] to be...........that would be our will and not God's will.
Read Corinthians.. our Bodies are God's Temple not a Stone building.. The HS goes into Bodies.. please show scripture showing the HS rest on non-Bodies.. thanks

Not trying to argue... just trying to make a point

the point your making is saying many people who do not belong to your Stone building have no HS,,, that is wrong.. but ya know what.. keep your building of stone.. which is very old.. Jesus said the Last will be first.. mind getting behind me :D *joking* :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

GraceInHim

† Need a lifeguard? Mine walks on water †
Oct 25, 2005
MA
✟24,206.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
holyorders said:
BTW- I used to be the rude "high and mighty" kind. I learned that it hurt my walk with the Lord. I wouldn't recommend anyone doing so. Fear of the Lord is a gift of the Holy Spirit.

that is right.. in humans not stone:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
H

hoser

holyorders said:
holyorders said:

Well the founder of the Catholic Church IS Jesus. He founded the Church an instructed St. Peter lead it.

Matthew 16:18 And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it.

He then went on to give the keys of the kingdom to Peter

Matthew 16:19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."

Upvote 0

holyorders

Aug 27, 2004
✟3,631.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Iollain said:
What do you mean by 'passing along the Holy Spirit'?
Evangelizing. Making members of the Body of Christ.

Passing along what Jesus told the apostles to do. [That is how people recieve the Holy Spirit, right?]

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.