Who is your pick so far for the next US president?

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I would say that there weren't enough people taking care of the elderly and so we have SSI. I see that these programs have developed over time because the needs of the poor were not being met, so I think we agree on this.
Agreed 100%.
There is no need to be snarky. This is the every reason that communications break down rather than people coming together to come up with working solutions to our problems in this country. That goes on far too much between the politicians in Congress.
I actually wasn't being snarky, to be honest. I have come across people IRL and on this forum who are utterly ignorant of what taxes are spent upon, and who have reacted with shock to the idea that, if they don't pay their taxes, they shouldn't have a right to use the infrastructure that they take for granted. I didn't know you if you were one of these, Hank, hence the "if you didn't know" comment.
If you want to know what percentage of your taxes go to these programs compared to infrastructure, etc. you can look at the combined percentages of the US budget that goes to these things and that is the same percentage of your taxes that are going there. It's not rocket science or I wouldn't have been able to work in the field of accounting and tax preparation for 30 yrs.. I'm not smart enough to be a rocket scientist. o_O
I took accounting classes many years ago as part of my business degree and couldn't have hated anything more. No offense, it just wasn't for me. Kudos to those who can figure all of that out.
And that is your right to make those decisions. I appreciate your participation in helping to better our country and peoples lives in general. The more helping hands the better off we will all be.
So much truth. That's what we should all be doing, no excuses.

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
In Hillary's case, it would be. Pay attention to what's been said before trying for the retort.
I totally paid attention. People change their minds allll the time about which candidate they prefer. Note, not the political party they prefer, but the candidate. On that thread about "who would you vote for" some Republicans are referencing 2 or 3 candidates they would vote for. So if one doesn't make it to nomination and they switch to another and that one is elected president (God forbid), does that mean that the country doesn't get what it wants? You just want it to be different if it's a Democrat who is elected. In reality, it's the same all the way around.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When did this become a "conservative Christian" forum??

I was referring to the whole of the postings from the whole spectrum, including all those Democrats who posted that they were for Bernie instead of Hillary.
Upon its inception. Ask the mods. Unlike many Christian social media, there is a respect for differences of opinion. I realize it is a foreign concept to many of my fellow Christians, but it is so.

Reactions: Hetta
Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
??? Have you noticed that it's just 'American Politics' and a large number of posters are Leftists and Democrats, precisely because it's NOT confined to Conservatives or even Christians? :doh:Five of the previous seven posts, for just one example, demonstrate that.
And by the time this thread goes on, many more Conservatives or Rightists will respond. I can point you to one thing in particular - when the admin thread was opened a little while ago on the topic of SSM, during that thread it was mentioned that a vote of all admins/mods was against defining people in SSM as "married". I asked one of the moderators in that thread whether it was a unanimous yes, and his response was that it was. That tells me that the management and administration of this forum is 100% conservative Christian. While I was genuinely shocked that not one person stood against that vote, I accept that this is the reality of this forum, and I find it hard to believe that you will use this one thread as an example of why CF is not conservative.

Reactions: cow451
Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And by the time this thread goes on, many more Conservatives or Rightists will respond. I can point you to one thing in particular - when the admin thread was opened a little while ago on the topic of SSM, during that thread it was mentioned that a vote of all admins/mods was against treating people in SSM as "married". I asked one of the moderators in that thread whether it was a unanimous yes, and his response was that it was. That tells me that the management and administration of this forum is 100% conservative Christian. While I was genuinely shocked that not one person stood against that vote, I accept that this is the reality of this forum, and I find it hard to believe that you will use this one thread as an example of why CF is not conservative.
:amen:

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,118,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And to answer your (rhetorical) question, yes, I do volunteer work at least once a month. I used to do something almost every weekend, but I just don't have the time anymore to do that since I started my own company. Now, I have even less time since my lovely son was born about a month ago :)
Congratulations on your new son and to him as well for having a dad who will put his welfare ahead of other priorities.
I don't give money to charity every month, no. Primarily because I'm not really in a position to do so. I have enough to live a comfortable life, but not to give away. I would if I were rich I think. But let's take up that subject again when I'm actually rich, if ever :)
I completely understand this. Some people just don't have extra money to give but do give in other ways.
I still do what I can though. The last thing I did was help out with the Syrian refugees in Brussels a couple weeks ago.
I can not imagine what that would be like. Probably the closest thing here in the US to that type of service would have been the disaster that hit New Orleans and people had to be relocated to other cities across the country and yet quite different. There wasn't anyone wanting to kill them.
Nevertheless, part of my income goes into charity by default, through taxes going to social programs (universal health care, social housing, welfare, etc).
Yep, somewhat the same here in the US.
We do a lot of charity shows with the band though. We actively promote ourselves to play for free on shows in support of whatever that needs support. They are always fun gigs, we always meet interesting people and we contribute in the process. I love it.
What fun. We have family that also had a band that played for years, both for money and for charity events. A good band will often draw more people to a charity event. :)

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟376,565.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
So is he stupid? Too stupid to find out who is running the event? It wouldn't matter if he was a child molester or a satanist. "No problem, just sign me up." People that stupid shouldn't be put in a position of power.
I guess you think the guy makes his own calendar...I wonder who really has time to look up how everyone they meet feels about any given issue. Except in criminal cases, there's no guilt by association. Everyone's a sinner, so I guess he should show up nowhere...

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I guess you think the guy makes his own calendar...I wonder who really has time to look up how everyone they meet feels about any given issue. Except in criminal cases, there's no guilt by association. Everyone's a sinner, so I guess he should show up nowhere...
Everyone's a sinner? Everyone suggests that people be murdered. Okay.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟376,565.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Condemning someone for thinking a group of people should be put to death is funny? If a candidate attended a rally hosted by someone who thinks Christians should be killed, you'd be singing a different tune.
It's funny that you want to be the thought police. It's funny that the guy, regardless of what he may have said (I don't even know who we're talking about) has apparently never acted on his thoughts. And again, I'll mention Obama and Rev. Wright. That's a very similar thing.

Upvote 0

OldFashionGal

May 17, 2015
✟9,197.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
I can answer that question because I talk to Christians who are against the government taking money from one person and giving it to someone else. It is because they believe that it is the families and Christians, the churches, that should be the ones providing for the poor and needy and that they should be able to do this by their own decisions in giving, not through the government.
I know many Christians who pay taxes and give at least 10% more of their gross income to the church and other charities on top of the taxes that they pay.
They see that the government spends too much of the taxes that should go to these programs on administrative costs and are inept at what they do. There is a lot of waste in government. And that there are people receiving from these programs that shouldn't be, they are scammers and thieves. If these cares are taken care of mostly locally and through non-profit charitable organizations, that are monitored for honesty, more people who need it could be helped. The federal government just isn't good at money management, that is obvious.

They are not against Christian values, they are against big governmental agencies taking their money and deciding which poor, sick, disabled people it should go to and forcing them to participate in huge, poorly managed governmental charity programs. At least that is what I hear most of them say.

Do you give at least 10% of your gross income, over and above the taxes you pay to charity? (That is intended as a rhetorical question, it is not any of my business what you do with your money.) Because many, many of them do, and many do volunteer work in hospitals, soup kitchens, etc.

In my almost 40 yrs. of being a Christian I have talked to people on both sides of the prosperity doctrine. Reading the scriptures I can understand where both sides are coming from but personally do not agree with the Modern Word of Faith prosperity doctrine, tithing is not taught in the NT, and the OT does not teach this modern approach to tithing either. Personally I believe that we are called to give, and if the Lord chooses to bless us with more then we are called to give more.

Those that don't believe in helping others through taxes do they also believe in NO bail outs for Wall Street, and no tax refunds for those that don't pay taxes?? Problem is churches would not have enough money to pay for all the medical bills of seniors!

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,118,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I actually wasn't being snarky, to be honest.
Then I apologize for accusing you of such. I'm glad to hear you were not.
I have come across people IRL and on this forum who are utterly ignorant of what taxes are spent upon, and who have reacted with shock to the idea that, if they don't pay their taxes, they shouldn't have a right to use the infrastructure that they take for granted.
Sometimes I really wonder what people are thinking, or not thinking.
No offense, it just wasn't for me. Kudos to those who can figure all of that out.
Well, it wasn't my first choice but because of circumstances at the time it was just more practical for me than wildlife biology. I didn't plan very well, young and stupid.

Reactions: Hetta
Upvote 0

OldFashionGal

May 17, 2015
✟9,197.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Yes, but you're obscuring the point here. USUALLY, the nominee of one or the other party does indeed have the favor of the majority of American voters.

From the way it's shaping up, that won't be the case in 2016, but that if Hillary wins, she won't have been the first choice of anywhere near the majority of Americans, regardless of party.

I read it from others the only reason they don't vote for Sanders is because they don't think he can win. That's a poor excuse in my opinion. I will vote for the one that is the same as me on most of the issues and then if they lose they can't blame me LOL when his supporters don't get what they want but actually I am still hoping people will realize when it comes time to vote they should vote for the one that they want not the one they think can win.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I read it from others the only reason they don't vote for Sanders is because they don't think he can win. That's a poor excuse in my opinion. I will vote for the one that is the same as me on most of the issues and then if they lose they can't blame me LOL when his supporters don't get what they want but actually I am still hoping people will realize when it comes time to vote they should vote for the one that they want not the one they think can win.
But that's a difficult choice, don't you think? I would rather have my second choice as president than have another Republican foisted upon me or the country. If Hilary can win and Bernie cannot, then I would have to vote for Hilary.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟376,565.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I bet you'ld think differently about that if an unfortunate set of events and / or circumstances makes you go bankrupt, leaving you unable to take care and provide for your family, perhaps even make you loose your house.
Actually, I probably wouldn't. I've lived 60 years without depending on the Government for much of anything. Isn't it great what they offer vets? The government offers them guaranteed mortgage loans...but that costs the vet an extra $10,000 on top of the price of the home. I'm a vet and never used my VA loan privilege. Never been on Food Stamps, never been on welfare.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Actually, I probably wouldn't. I've lived 60 years without depending on the Government for much of anything. Isn't it great what they offer vets? The government offers them guaranteed mortgage loans...but that costs the vet an extra $10,000 on top of the price of the home. I'm a vet and never used my VA loan privilege. Never been on Food Stamps, never been on welfare.
Likewise. However, I acknowledge that I am uniquely fortunate in that, and I don't look down upon anyone who has been or is on food stamps or welfare. Their experience and life has been hugely different to mine, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Reactions: OldFashionGal
Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟376,565.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Everyone's a sinner? Everyone suggests that people be murdered. Okay.
Oh, so just because they don't condone a sin you enjoy, they should be cast out. I get it now.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Oh, so just because they don't condone a sin you enjoy, they should be cast out. I get it now.
So there isn't a ranking of sin after all. Funny, I was told by a Catholic on these very forums that there was.

Upvote 0