Baby Cottontail

Sep 25, 2016
Northwest Ohio
✟19,571.00
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Single
We aren't going to agree on this. Maybe in twenty years we will.

Jesus had a lot of important things to teach us. Are you studying those things?
All right, then. I thank you for an engaging discussion on the topic.

I am in agreement with you that I don't think we're going to agree. As I said before, you and I both believe in Jesus' deity, and that to me very important.

Yes, I am growing in my faith, and I have been studying Jesus' teachings as well.

Upvote 0

Baby Cottontail

Sep 25, 2016
Northwest Ohio
✟19,571.00
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Well, someone was aware that he did it. Otherwise, how could someone have written about it?
The disciples may have been aware when Jesus left to go off by Himself. Or, it was the Holy Spirit who enabled the Gospel writers to write about Jesus doing this.

Upvote 0

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
There are those, like me, who believe Jesus is God in flesh. Others believe he is the Son of God, a separate being.

This scripture would seem to suggest that I am right:

"Behold, a virgin shall conceive and bear a son,
and his name shall be called Emmanuel"
(which means, God with us). Matt 1:23 RSV

However, I suspect there is biblical evidence that I am wrong.

What do you think?

Maybe "God with us" is not all God?

Upvote 0

Baby Cottontail

Sep 25, 2016
Northwest Ohio
✟19,571.00
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Single
This doctrine (Hypostatic Union) was promulgated at the Council of Chalcedon 451AD.
This was necessary, precisely because it is not proven by scriptural texts alone. That's why alternative interpretations abounded. e.g. Eutychianism, Appollinarianism, Nestorianism, Monophysitism, Dyophysitism & Miaphysitism.
These alternative popular interpretations were adjudged "heresies" solely on the apostolic authority of Catholic Bishops Councils.
If you don't accept the Apostolic-Succesion (& authority) of Catholic bishops there is no need, and no logic, to adopt their judgements on such doctrines.
And indeed that's why "Me-&-my-Bible"-Christians must eventually & logically revisit all these heresies.
And, without Apostolic authority, the only answers to these questions are
(1) 30,000 Protestant denominations. or
(2)An "It doesn't really matter what we believe" attitude.
Most mainline denominations, as well as many non-denominational churches accept the decisions at the Council of Chalcedon, along with other church Councils and Creeds. In fact, many of them base their statements of faith upon them.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Exactly what Mormons say about reading the book of Mormon!

Have you tried the Koran?

This is a cop-out.
You are seemingly putting the "church" above the Scriptures and so anything I say to you probably won't be acceptable.

Upvote 0

Baby Cottontail

Sep 25, 2016
Northwest Ohio
✟19,571.00
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Jesus was a Jewish rabbi, who the Jewish people back then thought to be their awaited Messiah as described in the Old Testament.

That's it. That's who Jesus is.
So you don't believe in Jesus Deity at all?

Upvote 0

Baby Cottontail

Sep 25, 2016
Northwest Ohio
✟19,571.00
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Single
If Mary bore a son then he was born a man (a human). If God wanted to appear
on earth as a man then he could just appear without all of the drama of childbirth.
The Bible is a weapon created by men, who want to be holy, to subjugate other men
(who need some one to interpret the bible for them) and lead them to perdition.
Sibyl.
So you don't believe that the Bible was inspired by the Holy Spirit?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

wilts43

May 22, 2011
✟21,547.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
You are seemingly putting the "church" above the Scriptures and so anything I say to you probably won't be acceptable.

(1)If you reject The Catholic Church how do you know which writings should be included in your New Testament?
Have you read the many Gospels & Epistles rejected by the Catholic Church to see if You (rejecting The Churche's Authority) also find them "self-authenticating"?

(2)All heresies are based on EITHER/OR thinking. Catholicism/Orthodoxy is BOTH/AND thinking. Thus Church & Scripture.

(3)it is not I that puts the Church above scripture, but scripture itself.....
"If I am delayed, you will know how people ought to conduct themselves in God's household, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth." (1Tim3:15)

(4)It is also a matter of History. the Catholic Church was over 350 years old before it compiled the New Testament Canon. The Church precedes the New Testament and discerned what was to be included & what left out.
It was not left for you to "self-discern" by Individual self-authentification

(5)When NT Epistle-writers refer to "scripture" they can only be referring to their Jewish Torah, Law & Prophets.
They show no sense that Catholic Bishops hundreds of years later would add some of these happenstantial letters to scripture on their (necessarily higher or equal) authority!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aaron Rich

Jan 3, 2017
Denver
✟18,319.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If Mary bore a son then he was born a man (a human). If God wanted to appear
on earth as a man then he could just appear without all of the drama of childbirth.
The Bible is a weapon created by men, who want to be holy, to subjugate other men
(who need some one to interpret the bible for them) and lead them to perdition.
Sibyl.

Sibyl - I'm not so sure you're one of the faithful. Either that or I'm just completely misunderstanding your entire response. Perhaps you forgot to indicate that you were being sarcastic? That's my hope, but I'll reply to what you said anyway.

You seem to be questioning everything regarding the faith of Christianity. No man could create the Bible individually and the fact that there are no contradictions over the course of a millennium of writing from 40 different authors - yeah...I think it's a bit hard to say it is nothing more than a weapon created by men to subjugate people. We're watching that "weapon" prove true before our eyes and you think it was created by men? Men were nothing more than the tools. If you question it's authenticity all you have to do is look at a map and see the fact that Israel is sitting smack dab in the middle of the world where we're told they would be. I'd like to see a mere mortal man trying to subjugate people pull off that feat. Maybe you should count the number of prophecies that single feat proved as true - but, I'm sure you're right. It's only a weapon made by men (sarcasm intended).

As for your little quip about God manifesting in the flesh - yes, I will agree with you. He absolutely could have done that, and there are definitely opinions that He did just that throughout the Old Testament - but that's a different topic. Let me explain why God came as a child born of a virgin.

By Yeshua coming via the birth canal, He made Himself eligible to sit on the throne of David. The only possible way to accomplish that according to God's law is through the birth canal. God set that rule up and God Himself sticks within His own structure of teachings. So, the only way for God Himself to become THE eternal King that was prophesied to sit on David's throne was to implant Himself into the womb of Miriam. Oh wait - that's Old Testament and obsolete, I keep forgetting that. (again - sarcasm intended)

Before you choose to try and argue the authenticity of the Scriptures, be sure you know every last point because God's Word proves true in every argument.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
That is a reflection on the pastors and that you have had and Christian education that has been offered in the church's you have attended. Some pastors don't teach on the Trinity much at all, if ever. Some don't even believe it themselves. (And I'm not just talking about within the UMC either. I'm talking in general.)

It isn't a topic that comes up a whole lot, unless you are taking an adult Sunday school class on Christian beliefs and doctrine, or unless the subject happens to come up in Bible study or in conversation. Doesn't happen a lot. Either it is assumed that everyone who attends the church believes it, or teaching on it has been devalued in society.

They might not have taught much about it when you went through confirmation class, either. I know that the subject wasn't touched when I went through.

It seems to be a topic people at church tend to avoid.
I don't agree. I don't see the importance. Jesus had a mission - to bring us to the Father. We can argue about exactly who Jesus is, but if that's all we're going to do, we're missing the point.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
What's the name of the God you pray to?
In my Bible, the Revised Standard Version, he calls himself, “I AM WHO I AM” and “I AM.” He is also called LORD. I’ve heard him called Yahweh and Jehovah. Sometimes I call him the God of Abraham. In the original text, perhaps he is named YHVH - that's what Baby Cottontail has been calling him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aaron Rich

Jan 3, 2017
Denver
✟18,319.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
(1)If you reject The Catholic Church how do you know which writings should be included in your New Testament?
Have you read the many Gospels & Epistles rejected by the Catholic Church to see if You (rejecting The Churche's Authority) also find them "self-authenticating"?

(2)All heresies are based on EITHER/OR thinking. Catholicism/Orthodoxy is BOTH/AND thinking. Thus Church & Scripture.

(3)it is not I that puts the Church above scripture, but scripture itself.....
"If I am delayed, you will know how people ought to conduct themselves in God's household, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth." (1Tim3:15)

(4)It is also a matter of History. the Catholic Church was over 350 years old before it compiled the New Testament Canon. The Church precedes the New Testament and discerned what was to be included & what left out.
It was not left for you to "self-discern" by Individual self-authentification

(5)When NT Epistle-writers refer to "scripture" they can only be referring to their Jewish Torah, Law & Prophets.
They show no sense that Catholic Bishops hundreds of years later would add some of these happenstantial letters to scripture on their (necessarily higher or equal) authority!

I have a strange stance on this myself. I agree that the Catholic church, guided by the Holy Spirit, had a hand in directing the final product that we now recognize as the complete Bible - Genesis to Revelation. Although, we are told that God uses all things for the good of those who love Him - Roman 8:28

That said, I think the Church (big C) has its order of authority messed up - not least of which is the Catholic church (little c).

The typical order of authority is something *like* (maybe not exact)
1. Paul
2. Rest of the New Testament Scriptures
3. Christian Writings
4. Old Testament
Trash = Everything Jewish

The real order of authority as I've discovered through my own studies rather than listening to a pope, preacher, or other believers -
1. Torah (Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy)
2. Rest of the Bible
3. Jewish Writings
4. Christian Writings (most of which should be shuffle quickly into the trash)

Now let me explain in more detail.

One of the last things we are told before the intertestamental period is "Remember the laws of my servant Moses..." Mal 4:4. Secondly, in Acts 15:21 the Apostolic Council made a very important *assumption* that we all seem to miss. They assume you'll be studying the words of Moses on a weekly basis. Yeshua Himself said not a dot or tittle would pass from the LAW until all things are completed and He also said that it's easier for Heaven and Earth to disappear before even the smallest piece of the Torah. Perhaps this will help you grasp the authority of the Torah, but if you study the entirety of the Scriptures you'll find many more references to the absolute authority of the Torah over all written content on this planet.

In case you missed it-
1. Anytime you see the word "law" in English, it's talking about the Torah.
2. We're a long way from everything being completed.
3. The Heavens and the Earth are still here

Now before you go off and tell me "but, Paul says" - understand this. Paul is the only author in the entirety of the Bible that is said to be hard to understand and misused. This is stated by two people (two witnesses prove any matter) 2 Pet 3:15 and Acts 21:20.

So before you go off trying to tell me that the Torah and the rest of the OT Scripture were nailed to the cross, know that I will expect two different authors as proof. Because the one author that is difficult to understand is not sufficient according to Biblical standards.

So, while I agree that the original structure of the Catholic church had a hand, guided by the Holy Spirit, in creating what we now have as the complete Bible, I also think it's gone very much astray. As have other denominations. You pray to statues, dead men, beads, and priests. That alone should be sufficient to show that you're not abiding by Biblical standards. But upon study of the Scriptures I think every denomination has gone astray to some extent. We can correct a lot of that by getting our order of authority straight.

Now, why do I say the Jewish writings come before the Christian writings? Because they are the custodians of the Scriptures. This can be obviously seen in that every man that contributed to the Bible is a Hebrew, but you can also see this in the Scriptures such as Romans 3:2. Study yourself to find more evidence - I'm being as brief as I can. :)

Christian writings on the other hand consistently speak against the authority of the Old Testament because they are coming at the Scriptures from a Greco-Roman viewpoint. Some of them don't make that mistake, but for those that do, I personally have come to consider them fire kindling.

I know I got a bit off topic, but I wanted to reply to this one post. :)

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2015
✟7,833.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
According to my faith, Jesus, the Lord is indeed God incarnated. Jesus is also the Son of God as the Wisdom deriving from the divine Love which is the Father in God... as God is the Father, Son, Holy Spirit trinity, but still one individual - same as we are body, soul and spirit but still one person. Two sources for that, the Bible and the New Revelation through Jakob Lorber and Gottfried Mayerhofer - a detailed presentation of these ideas can be found in A Proof that THE NEW REVELATION Comes From GOD which deals exactly with the fundamental issue of Jesus being God Himself.

Upvote 0

Baby Cottontail

Sep 25, 2016
Northwest Ohio
✟19,571.00
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Single
I don't agree. I don't see the importance. Jesus had a mission - to bring us to the Father. We can argue about exactly who Jesus is, but if that's all we're going to do, we're missing the point.
Maybe that's why your pastors and the people at your church didn't teach on the Trinity. Maybe they didn't hold it with very much importance.

I still think it is important to try to understand God as best as we can, with what He has revealed about Himself in Scripture.

I should hope that arguing about theology is not the only thing that we as Christians do.

Upvote 0

Baby Cottontail

Sep 25, 2016
Northwest Ohio
✟19,571.00
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Single
According to my faith, Jesus, the Lord is indeed God incarnated. Jesus is also the Son of God as the Wisdom deriving from the divine Love which is the Father in God... as God is the Father, Son, Holy Spirit trinity, but still one individual - same as we are body, soul and spirit but still one person. Two sources for that, the Bible and the New Revelation through Jakob Lorber and Gottfried Mayerhofer - a detailed presentation of these ideas can be found in A Proof that THE NEW REVELATION Comes From GOD which deals exactly with the fundamental issue of Jesus being God Himself.
We need to be very careful of those stating that they have new revelation from God....often times some of what they teach is extra-biblical, and some of it outright contradicts Scripture.

I have never heard of either of the individuals you name, but I would exercise extreme caution.

Upvote 0