Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The post below kind of runs counter to the remark about voting values. My values tell me to not vote Trump regardless, and it appears that your values are a bit conflicted. However the comment below is intelligent and thought out.
I just do not feel that a person who COULD have voted, that is they were of age at the time of the election, of sound mind, and not under some type of court sentence and yet they CHOOSE not to vote, at all has no right to complain about who other people put in office.

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,880.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
I just do not feel that a person who COULD have voted, that is they were of age at the time of the election, of sound mind, and not under some type of court sentence and yet they CHOOSE not to vote, at all has no right to complain about who other people put in office.
Perhaps, but that is not normally the case IMO. Usually the people who don't vote simply do not care to vote and have no interest in the political process....and don't usually complain.
The complainers are the ones whose candidate lost, and the problem is that the complainers are complaining too much. We should respect the political process and support the winner regardless....but that is not working anymore. I am expecting big problems from the some of the voters who did not vote for Trump if he wins; and I expecting big problems from the some of the voters who did not vote for Clinton if she wins.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟900,286.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Perhaps, but that is not normally the case IMO. Usually the people who don't vote simply do not care to vote and have no interest in the political process....and don't usually complain.
The complainers are the ones whose candidate lost, and the problem is that the complainers are complaining too much. We should respect the political process and support the winner regardless....but that is not working anymore. I am expecting big problems from the some of the voters who did not vote for Trump if he wins; and I expecting big problems from the some of the voters who did not vote for Clinton if she wins.
odd I also hold that people should be at least somewhat interested in the process of choosing our leaders. For my age, I consider myself fairly policitally active and have contacted my elected officials several times since reaching 18 am now just over three months shy of my 25th birthday. Much more than many people 2 and 3 times my age I know.

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,880.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
odd I also hold that people should be at least somewhat interested in the process of choosing our leaders. For my age, I consider myself fairly policitally active and have contacted my elected officials several times since reaching 18 am now just over three months shy of my 25th birthday. Much more than many people 2 and 3 times my age I know.
I understand that it may be odd, but not uncommon considering 40% the people do not vote. The biggest complaints to not voting was that they were either too busy, have no transportation or had registration issues.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟900,286.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I understand that it may be odd, but not uncommon considering 40% the people do not vote. The biggest complaints to not voting was that they were either too busy, have no transportation or had registration issues.
You either vote or do not complain. Sometimes, I think they should require people to vote.

Upvote 0

Eryk

Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2005
Maryland
✟109,945.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The people who, ideologically, are in line with the Green Party, have way more in common with democrats than they do with republicans. However, voting for the green party actually favors republicans because the green party is going to take more votes away from the democrats. This is known as the spoiler effect.
The Democratic Party has kill switches to deal with reform. Corporate-sponsored ad buys for establishment candidates, and superdelegates to overrule the will of primary voters. It takes a great deal of naiveté to expect this bought and paid for party to turn left. They've been steadily moving right since the seventies. Putting Miss Goldman Sachs on the ticket is the terminus.

No, we do not have much in common with a party that is so enamored by privatization and deregulation, they aren't liberals anymore. Both parties are undermining democracy by favoring the donor class and ignoring the desires of the electorate. The only thing to do is to build a movement outside these parties.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Who here would whether vote third party than not vote ( supposeding that you do not support either major party?)
Nope. I would have to believe that the third party person has a shot, and I don't.

Upvote 0

A New Dawn

God is bigger than the boogeyman!
Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
While Trump might represent, in principle, some of the things the founding fathers wanted out of the people running our country, I don't believe he has the right temperament to actually be president. He is mean, he is a liar (what I despise Hillary for), and he flip-flops on issues. I would rather vote libertarian, or write in Ted Cruz. I liked Cruz as a constitutionalist.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟900,286.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
While Trump might represent, in principle, some of the things the founding fathers wanted out of the people running our country, I don't believe he has the right temperament to actually be president. He is mean, he is a liar (what I despise Hillary for), and he flip-flops on issues. I would rather vote libertarian, or write in Ted Cruz. I liked Cruz as a constitutionalist.
I will likely vote libertarian.

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
How's he ever gonna poll well unless you support him? That's the problem with ever trying to build any third party, everyone expects everyone else to do it! Sitting on a fence doesn't cut it.
You don't have to vote for someone for them to poll well. If contacted by a pollster, I say I support Johnson. If enough other people do that, I know my vote wouldn't be flushed down the toilet.

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟174,245.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I voted for Gary Johnson last time. I will do so again. Clinton belongs in prison. Trump is some kind of narcissistic nightmare. Democrats or Republicans- it's all the same shenanigans and ridiculousness. I don't respect them. I refuse to vote for them for POTUS. Nobody should sit around and think about the 'lesser of two evils' foolishness when it comes to voting. Get over that and vote third party.

Upvote 0

SepiaAndDust

There's a FISH in the percolator
May 6, 2012
Mid-America
✟26,546.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
You either vote or do not complain.

Yeah, I saw that bumper sticker, too. It was garbage then, it's garbage now. I'm a citizen, and I pay taxes. I have every right to complain if I don't like the policies being set.

Sometimes, I think they should require people to vote.

Not voting can be as much a political statement as voting. If I can't in good conscience cast my ballot for a candidate who might possibly win, I won't vote at all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Willtor

Not just any Willtor... The Mighty Willtor
Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I also want to observe that the spoiler effect has actually been mitigated by the electoral system. For those of us who live in deeply red or blue states, a protest vote doesn't hurt the lesser of two evils.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟900,286.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yeah, I saw that bumper sticker, too. It was garbage then, it's garbage now. I'm a citizen, and I pay taxes. I have every right to complain if I don't like the policies being set.

Not voting can be as much a political statement as voting. If I can't in good conscience cast my ballot for a candidate who might possibly win, I won't vote at all.
The problem with not voting that I see if you wanted to argue that is that by NOT voting how will they know you are not happy? There are MANY reasons (none good) but many reasons people do not vote, whereas if you vote third party at least that lets the leaders know that we are not happy with EITHER of them. Also, by simply the logic of paying taxes if you (general) vote you in a sense can have some say in where those taxes go. If you support a strong safety net then it makes sense to vote for people who feel the same way. If you support a weaker safety net then that makes sense the same could be said of anything on which taxes are spent.

Upvote 0

SepiaAndDust

There's a FISH in the percolator
May 6, 2012
Mid-America
✟26,546.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
The problem with not voting that I see if you wanted to argue that is that by NOT voting how will they know you are not happy? There are MANY reasons (none good) but many reasons people do not vote, whereas if you vote third party at least that lets the leaders know that we are not happy with EITHER of them.

Yeah, I might think that too if I were trying to drum up support for third-party candidates. Every election has detailed coverage who who turned out to vote and who didn't, and voter apathy is a very big deal (since the voters might not be so apathetic in the next election).

Also, by simply the logic of paying taxes if you (general) vote you in a sense can have some say in where those taxes go. If you support a strong safety net then it makes sense to vote for people who feel the same way. If you support a weaker safety net then that makes sense the same could be said of anything on which taxes are spent.

And if none of the candidates--including the third-party ones--fall in line with my political views? Just pick one? Nah, I'd rather go into the didn't vote this time category than give some Libertarian or Constitutionalist even that slight shred of legitimacy.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟900,286.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yeah, I might think that too if I were trying to drum up support for third-party candidates. Every election has detailed coverage who who turned out to vote and who didn't, and voter apathy is a very big deal (since the voters might not be so apathetic in the next election).

And if none of the candidates--including the third-party ones--fall in line with my political views? Just pick one? Nah, I'd rather go into the didn't vote this time category than give some Libertarian or Constitutionalist even that slight shred of legitimacy.
What is wrong with the libertarians?

Upvote 0