Which day of the Week is the Bible Sabbath?

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
When Complaints are raised that we should not honor God's 4th commandment so that someone might see it happening in real life (external vs internal) The answer was given -

In the any-ol-excuse will do model for attacking God's 4th commandment one key element that is never lacking is the idea of always "hopping about to different subject whenever one line of argument fails" -- as in the following example in response to the "Sabbath is kept in real life" topic above.
Ah yes and it came from the SDA camp.

bugkiller

Upvote 0

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The Seventh, Saturday. There are 2 claiming to be God. One demands the 7th Day the other the First day, They are opposites. Pick one.
Trying to pull a sneaky one, eh Gary? You just as well have said those who worship on Sunday are worshipping the devil.

bugkiller

Upvote 0

Lysimachus

Vindicating our Historic Biblical Foundations
Dec 21, 2010
✟9,605.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Private
If you are married do you sleep in the same bed as your wife during her monthly? Does she perform the ritual cleansing bath required at the end of it?

bugkiller

Majoring and minors.

I'm sure there are studies on the meaning of this, and why God required it. But when you pick on some of the more difficult passages of scripture (which none of us claim to understand every portion of scripture--we are all students of the Word, ever learning), you unwarrantably insist that because we may not have the particular "answer" for every single command God may have made, that this somehow "negates" all the other clear distinctions we have made, and the rules laid forth.

The attack you have made against God's Ten Commandments is glaring. You appear to be determined to lump the Ten Commandments with some additional laws Moses wrote concerning women's menstrual cycles?

Seriously Bugkiller, is this not going over the top?

Your posts appear to manipulate, and dance between the rain drops, and whiggle in every way imaginable to try and not have to keep God's Ten Commandments.

It wearies many of us to have to provide you the answers on a silver platter, when many of you all know very well that answers to such objections have been carefully laid forth by Adventist apologists, over the last century and a half.

Most don't even realize that men like Francis D. Nichol, back in 1952, wrote an 896 page book entitled:

Answers to Objections: An Examination of the Major Objections Raised Against the Teachings of Seventh-Day Adventists (link to full PDF book)

Many of our critics would save themselves (and ours) a lot of time if they were actually willing to muster a little more openness and desire to find the answers and read the material that is available.

It is only when in one's heart is opposed and not inclined to have to change their minds, that they will, at all cost, find anything and everything wrong that they possibly can.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
You determine which don't apply based on which were "ordinance shadows"--all that pointed forward to Christ as shadows were abolished.

All that applied to Israel Civil Law were abolished when the kingdom of God was taken from Israel, and now Jesus sits as King. He will execute punishment. Vengeance is His.

All health laws still apply, and all the laws related to Hygiene carry over their principles of cleanliness today.

It's really not that hard to determine which laws apply and which don't. Paul was very clear which don't apply...all those that are "shadow", and one "contained in ordinances".

Circumcision
Festivals
Holy Days
Animal Sacrifices
Offerings
Priesthood
Sanctuary Services

...all these were tied to "shadows". All these were abolished--in their earthly sense.

The health laws were a separate category (not tied to any shadowy services), and intimately tied to the Moral Law-- "thou shalt not kill"--meaning.... these animals are not good for you. To willfully consume them is to destroy your own temple and harm your body.

sabby was in with the festivals, that u call shadows right in your post...^_^

col 2;16 Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath. 17 These are a shadow of the things to come, but the substance belongs to Christ.

go ask a jew, as 3 angels quotes, if one under the law, can opt out of literal external laws, 8th day cutting, stoning, sabby, foods, festivals etc..

please, it is pick-n-choose...

like it, externalize it, don't like it, internalize it..

as dana carvey on SNL used to say, as church lady..

how convenient!:D:p

Reactions: Isatis
Upvote 0

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Majoring and minors.
What I see is an artfull dodge and refusal to answer a simple straight forward question. I am pretty sure of the truthful answer. I did not pit you against the Scripture. Nor did I pit one verse against another. I think it was you that said health laws were still in effect. Physical health is no minor thing in your church.
I'm sure there are studies on the meaning of this, and why God required it. But when you pick on some of the more difficult passages of scripture (which none of us claim to understand every portion of scripture--we are all students of the Word, ever learning), you unwarrantably insist that because we may not have the particular "answer" for every single command God may have made, that this somehow "negates" all the other clear distinctions we have made, and the rules laid forth.
The only thing I see difficult about my question is you do not wish to give an honest and open answer. I do not promote any of the law, you do. You preach something you refuse to do yourself.
The attack you have made against God's Ten Commandments is glaring. You are determined to lump the Ten Commandments with some additional laws Moses wrote concerning women's menstrual cycles?
I made no attack on the ten commandments. That my fiend is a false statement and falls under the 9th commandment. It is also against the rule here. Why do you have no respect for them either?

I do not have to consider the regulations of the sabbath found within the law outside of the 4th as issued in Ex 20:8-11 to know that you willing and purposefully violate every week. You pretend to excape by legalism. What ever happended to the spirit of the law?
Seriously Bugkiller, you are going over the top.
Really? Get serious. I do not promote the law and refuse to observe it. When I point you back to the law you get more than upset. Why? Do you not love the law? I value and love my imputed righteousness and position in grace ore than you love the law. The law only brings condemnation and death. Probably why it is called the ministration of death. Life is so much more wonderful when you think about the things you can do rather than focusing on the forbidden. Love does not focus on adultery, theft, murder and such. It is so much more pleasant to focus on being nice because you are and like to be nice and not because you are told to be nice.
Your posts appear to manipulate, and dance between the rain drops, and whiggle in every way imaginable to try and not have to keep God's Ten Commandments.
Talking about yourself here? I do not need legalisms to avoid fooling myself about sin. Liberty in Christ is wonderful. You should try it. You might like it. God forbid!!!!
It wearies many of us to have to provide you the answers on a silver platter, when many of you all know very well that answers to such objections have been carefully laid for by Adventist apologists, over the last century and a half.

Most don't even realize that men like Francis D. Nichol, back in 1952, wrote an 896 page book entitled:

Answers to Objections: An Examination of the Major Objections Raised Against the Teachings of Seventh-Day Adventists (link to full PDF book)
I know nothing about the book. If you wish me to read it, challenge me to a formal debate on it. Otherwise it is not worth my time.
Many of our critics would save themselves (and ours) a lot of time if they were to actually willing to muster a little more openness and desire to find the answers and read the material that is available.
Read take your position without question.
It is only when in one's heart is opposed and not inclined to have to change their minds, that they will, at all cost, find anything and everything wrong that they possibly can.
You should read the Scripture with an open mnd without the special glasses.

bugkiller

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
We've already been over Colossians 2:16 probably 10,000 times in this forum Froggy.

You're doing a poor job at seducing me into repeating the record player again. ;)

col 2:16 Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath.

like moons is not a calendar word, years, months etc? What does months mean, not a calendar word? dude.. Days? hmmmm...sabby!

Gal 4:10 You observe days and months and seasons and years!

put these verses with 2 chron 2;4, and it will all teach ya bro..luv ya...

2 chron 2:4 Behold, I am about to build a house for the name of the Lord my God and dedicate it to him for the burning of incense of sweet spices before him, and for the regular arrangement of the showbread, and for burnt offerings morning and evening, on the Sabbaths and the new moons and the appointed feasts of the Lord our God, as ordained forever for Israel.

The Galatians were told it was a waste, TO BE ON THE JEWISH CALENDAR THAT HAD THE SABBATH...

Reactions: Isatis
Upvote 0

Qnts2

Jan 31, 2012
✟2,056.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
The question came up here -

DeVon Franklin Tells Oprah About The Sabbath - YouTube

According to the Bible --

What day did Christ rise from the dead? Luke 24:1, 13, 21 -- the first day of the week. Week day 1.

What day of the week do Jews celebrate as the 7th day of the week?

What day of the week do Christians celebrate as the day of Christ's resurrection?

What day of the week was Christ keeping as the Sabbath in Luke 4:16?

What is the best text in the Bible showing that the 7th day is the Sabbath? (Genesis 2:1-3, Exodus 20:8-11)

Could the Jews have picked any day they wish as "day 7"?? Exodus 16:23-27 God identified the day of the week for them - they had no choice in the matter.

What is the best text in the Bible showing that the first day of the week is the Sabbath?

What did D.L. Moody believe about the continuation of the Sabbath Commandment?

in Christ,

Bob

Very confusing questions, as they miss the entire point.

But very simply, the Lord rose on the first day of the week.
The Sabbath is the 7th day of the week.

Now the real issues. The Sabbath is commanded to be a day of rest. Not a day of church meetings. There is no command to meet and worship on the Sabbath.

In the days of the Temple in Jerusalem, the people met and worshipped 7 days a week. But there were no individual days of the week which were commanded for meeting to worship. There were special Holy days during the year,like Passover, Shavuot, and Succott, when the people were to travel to Jerusalem.

Upvote 0

New_Wineskin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2004
Elizabethtown , PA , usa
✟13,854.00
Faith
Non-Denom

Why do you say that ?

Now the real issues. The Sabbath is commanded to be a day of rest.

To the Israelites .

Not a day of church meetings. There is no command to meet and worship on the Sabbath.

Of course not - that would violate the Sabbath - there is no rest in that .

In the days of the Temple in Jerusalem, the people met and worshipped 7 days a week. But there were no individual days of the week which were commanded for meeting to worship. There were special Holy days during the year,like Passover, Shavuot, and Succott, when the people were to travel to Jerusalem.
How many pushing the Sabbath on Gentiles obey *those* commands to go to Jerusalem ?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Why do you say that ?

To the Israelites .

Of course not - that would violate the Sabbath - there is no rest in that .

How many pushing the Sabbath on Gentiles obey *those* commands to go to Jerusalem ?

yeah, just like the passover, gotta go the "holy city".

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,774.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

What day did Christ rise from the dead? Luke 24:1, 13, 21 -- the first day of the week. Week day 1.

What day of the week do Christians celebrate as the day of Christ's resurrection?

What is the best text in the Bible showing that the 7th day is the Sabbath? (Genesis 2:1-3, Exodus 20:8-11)

Could the Jews have picked any day they wish as "day 7"?? Exodus 16:23-27 God identified the day of the week for them - they had no choice in the matter.

What is the best text in the Bible showing that the first day of the week is the Sabbath?

Very confusing questions

How so??'

The Sabbath is the 7th day of the week.

Ok so ... not that confusing so far.

Now the real issues. The Sabbath is commanded to be a day of rest. Not a day of church meetings. There is no command to meet and worship on the Sabbath.

Well that is only true if one is carefull not to read Lev 23:1-3 I suppose or Isaiah 66.

"From Sabbath to Sabbath shall ALL mankind come before Me to worship".

But I think you will agree with me that many Bible students will be willing to read those texts when they come to this subject.

in Christ,

Bob

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,774.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
sabby was in with the festivals, that u call shadows right in your post...^_^

col 2;16 Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath. 17 These are a shadow of the things to come, but the substance belongs to Christ.

go ask a jew, as 3 angels quotes, if one under the law, can opt out of literal external laws, 8th day cutting, stoning, ...

please, it is pick-n-choose...

As has been pointed out dozens of times - the Bible model for the saints does not allow us to toss scripture under a bus simply because you are afraid you might have to obey the commandments of God.

By contrast the NT saints state "What matters is keeping the commandments of God" 1Cor 7:19

And Paul says "do we then make void the Law of God by our faith? God forbid! In fact we establish the Law of God" Rom 3:31

John agrees - saying that the saints "are those who keep the Commandments of God AND their faith in Jesus" Rev 14:12.

So much for tossing the NT saints tossing the OT text under a bus to escape the idea of keeping the Commandments of God.

Even their quote of the New Covenant in Hebrews 8 is from JEREMIAH 31:31-33 where the Law of God is written on the heart as part of that New Covenant.

All the details you are reminded of over and over again. And all of which you ignore each time you circle back to a prior line of guesswork.

The Law of God is not a matter of picking and choosing - it is a matter of listening to God and following what HE said. In the case of animal sacrifices - Hebrews 10 places that at an end.

Obviously - your efforts to bring in civil laws and civil punishment - are pointless without a theocracy to enforce them. That plane never gets off the ground.

in Christ,

Bob

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
yeah, just like the passover, gotta go the "holy city".
Do you mean the Vatican in Rome or Jerusalem? :)

http://www.blueletterbible.org/search/translationResults.cfm?Criteria=holy+city&t=NKJV&sf=5
"holy city"
occurs in 25 verses in the NKJV, including 10 exact phrases shown first.

NKJV) Nehemiah 11:1 Now the leaders of the people dwelt at Jerusalem; the rest of the people cast lots to bring one out of ten to dwell in Jerusalem, the holy city, and nine-tenths [were to dwell] in [other] cities.

Revelation 11:2 and the court that is without the sanctuary leave out, and thou mayest not measure it, because it was given to the nations, and the holy city they shall trample down forty-two months;

http://www.christianforums.com/t7434988/
OC Jerusalem and Lake of Fire

Reve 18:8 "Therefore her plagues will come in one day -- death and mourning and famine.
And she will be utterly burned with fire, for strong [is] the Lord God who judges her.
9 " The kings of the land who committed fornication and lived luxuriously with her will weep and lament for her, when they see the smoke of her burning,
10 "standing at a distance for fear of her torment, saying, 'Alas, alas, that great city Babylon, that mighty city! For in one hour your judgment has come.'

Upvote 0

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom

How so??'

Ok so ... not that confusing so far.

Well that is only true if one is carefull not to read Lev 23:1-3 I suppose or Isaiah 66.

"From Sabbath to Sabbath shall ALL mankind come before Me to worship".

But I think you will agree with me that many Bible students will be willing to read those texts when they come to this subject.

in Christ,

Bob
How many times do you need to be asked about from ...to in order that you might understand there is not one shred of evidence keeping about the sabbath in Isa 66:23?

bugkiller

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Originally Posted by Lysimachus We've already been over Colossians 2:16 probably 10,000 times in this forum Froggy.

You're doing a poor job at seducing me into repeating the record player again. ;)
And you have denied the truth 10,000 times.

bugkiller
:D
That passage in Colossians 2 is also a favorite of mine and why I have it in my siggy :)

Upvote 0

New_Wineskin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2004
Elizabethtown , PA , usa
✟13,854.00
Faith
Non-Denom
How many times do you need to be asked about from ...to in order that you might understand there is not one shred of evidence keeping about the sabbath in Isa 66:23?

bugkiller
They also say things like "Christ rose from the dead on the first day of the week" ( as if *that* had anything to do with the thread ) but don't back it up .

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,774.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

bugkiller

Unless you take the time to actually read the chapter --

"From Sabbath to Sabbath shall ALL mankind come before Me to worship". Isaiah 66

"From Sabbath to Sabbath shall ALL mankind come before Me to worship". Isaiah 66

in Christ,

Bob

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,774.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
They also say things like "Christ rose from the dead on the first day of the week" ( as if *that* had anything to do with the thread ) but don't back it up .

On the contrary - it raises the "inconvenient detail" that a great majority of Christians today - admit that Sunday is "week day 1" making Saturday the 7th day - as we find it in practice in almost every Christian denomination on the planet.

in Christ,

Bob

Upvote 0