Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I just took a test ▷ ▶ Christian Denomination Selector SelectSmart.com free Religion personality test, selector quiz, matching, choose, compare. and it said I should be either:

Evangelical Lutheran 100%

Wesleyan / Methodist 100%

or Anglican / Episcopal 94%

Which of these would be good to join, if any? Advice plz?

These quizzes do some good, but slight changes in your answers can result in huge differences in the suggested church. They also don't usually sample enough. That said, the three you name here are probably there for a reason, so let's go with that.

All are ceremonial (what we call "liturgical"). The Methodists are usually the least formal or elaborate, however.

By "Evangelical Lutheran" these quizzes usually mean the "Evangelical Lutheran Church in America," the most liberal of the Lutheran church bodies in the USA, similar to the Episcopal Church.

The Wesleyan Church and the Methodist churches stress personal holiness and charitable work, the others less so although every church agrees to those ideas in principle.

All of the named churches have women ministers. All but the Wesleyans/Methodists are gay-friendly.

Generally speaking, the United Methodist, ELCA, and the Episcopal Church are traditional, policially active, theologically liberal to moderate, and on the formal side of worship which many think of as dignified. By the way, there is a more conservative branch of each of these that the survey didn't account for, if that matters to you.

Does any of that help?

Upvote 0

Reanbell

Dec 24, 2012
✟331.00
Faith
Christian
These quizzes do some good, but slight changes in your answers can result in huge differences in the suggested church. They also don't usually sample enough. That said, the three you name here are probably there for a reason, so let's go with that.

All are ceremonial (what we call "liturgical"). The Methodists are usually the least formal or elaborate, however.

By "Evangelical Lutheran" these quizzes usually mean the "Evangelical Lutheran Church in America," the most liberal of the Lutheran church bodies in the USA, similar to the Episcopal Church.

The Wesleyan Church and the Methodist churches stress personal holiness and charitable work, the others less so although every church agrees to those ideas in principle.

All of the named churches have women ministers. All but the Wesleyans/Methodists are gay-friendly.

Generally speaking, the United Methodist, ELCA, and the Episcopal Church are traditional, policially active, theologically liberal to moderate, and on the formal side of worship which many think of as dignified. By the way, there is a more conservative branch of each of these that the survey didn't account for, if that matters to you.

Does any of that help?

Interesting.

I don't hate gay people and I don't object to female pastors, so maybe that is why I got those answers.

Upvote 0

L0NEW0LF

Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod
Jul 20, 2012
✟8,018.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Not so long ago I was trying to decide which church I wanted to belong to. I'm moderate to conservative, and a traditional liturgical mass/service was/is important to me. My options were, Lutheran, Anglican, Catholic, or Orthodox. The Anglican/Episcopal church is way too liberal for my tastes. I'm against the Papacy so that scratches out Catholicism. I'm still intrigued by Orthodoxy, but there's still a lot of unkowns about it. I decided that Lutheranism was the best fit for me. In American, there's 3 main branches of Lutheranism: LCMS, WELS, and ELCA. The ELCA is very, very liberal; they ordain women and are open to homosexuality. The WELS are beyond conservative, to the point of not even praying with people outside of their synod. The LCMS is the perfect balance. We're moderate to conservatice, do not ordain women, are not open to homosexuality, but welcome Christians of any denomination with open arms. Lutherans are completely bible based, from the service to the Book of Concord.

Upvote 0

L0NEW0LF

Jul 20, 2012
✟8,018.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Interesting.

I don't hate gay people and I don't object to female pastors, so maybe that is why I got those answers.
LCMS Lutherans don't hate gay people, either. We just don't allow openly and practicing gay pastors, and do not support homosexual lifestyles, and certainly not marriage. There's a difference in struggling from same sex attraction and actually living a homosexual lifestyle.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Interesting.

And I don't even know what the questions were that went into those church suggestions. ;)

However, they are similar, and since the same denomination can vary a lot from one of its congregations to another, I'd say that you might take that list and visit a few of the churches in your area. You asked which would be right for you, but you certainly can't know without making on-site visits as well as doing some reading about each of them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The Anglican/Episcopal church is way too liberal for my tastes.

You mean The Episcopal Church. In this country (USA), the churches that have the word "Anglican" in their names are the conservative churches formed by former Episcopalians wanting to stay with the historic beliefs and practices of the Church of England, i.e. the "Anglican Church."

Just for the record and for anyone else reading this thread who may be engaged in a similar search.

Upvote 0

Reanbell

Dec 24, 2012
✟331.00
Faith
Christian
And I don't even know what the questions were that went into those church suggestions. ;)

However, they are similar, and since the same denomination can vary a lot from one of its congregations to another, I'd say that you might take that list and visit a few of the churches in your area. You asked which would be right for you, but you certainly can't know without making on-site visits as well as doing some reading about each of them.

It asked about women clergy. I personally don't care either way, but I do have a harder time taking female pastors seriously on a personal note.

I was curious to know more about those churches, even though I don't like denominations much. Theologically, I am somewhere between east orthodox and word of faith. I accept parts of each but not all. It's hard to find a church I would agree with. If a church started preaching about tithing or some future 7 year tribulation, I'd be gone.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It asked about women clergy. I personally don't care either way, but I do have a harder time taking female pastors seriously on a personal note.

I was curious to know more about those churches, even though I don't like denominations much. Theologically, I am somewhere between east orthodox and word of faith.

Almost everyone is. ;)

I accept parts of each but not all. It's hard to find a church I would agree with. If a church started preaching about tithing or some future 7 year tribulation, I'd be gone.

My suggestion is to look into The Episcopal Church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

L0NEW0LF

Jul 20, 2012
✟8,018.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
You mean The Episcopal Church. In this country (USA), the churches that have the word "Anglican" in their names are the conservative churches formed by former Episcopalians wanting to stay with the historic beliefs and practices of the Church of England, i.e. the "Anglican Church."

Just for the record and for anyone else reading this thread who may be engaged in a similar search.

This is new to me. Thank you.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,563.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
When I do an internet search for Anglican churches in Salt lake city utah they all come up with Episcopal without Anglican in their name. So would I assume they are probabley liberal? And one more quick question what is the difference between the LCMS and a conservative Anglican church? :confused:Thank You!

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
When I do an internet search for Anglican churches in Salt lake city utah they all come up with Episcopal without Anglican in their name. So would I assume they are probabley liberal? And one more quick question what is the difference between the LCMS and a conservative Anglican church? :confused:Thank You!

Hi, Tigger. Thanks for the message.

They are all Episcopal in that case. I understand that this is a confusing matter for a lot of people, including Episcopalians and Anglicans, so let me take a moment to explain further. Normally, when there's a split in some denomination, the split-off takes the denominational name and modifies it somewhat. For example, the main conservative split from the "Presbyterian Church (USA)" is the "Presbyterian Church in America." But in our case, the split-off groups chose not to use the Episcopal name (although I can think of two exceptions) because they didn't want unnecessary court fights and because they wanted to suggest that they were true to the historic faith and it was The Episcopal Church that had changed. But The Episcopal Church continued to belong to the worldwide federation of churches, the "Anglican Communion," so Episcopalians are not about to surrender the identity just like that, either.

Anyway, if it says "Anglican" in the phone book heading or on the church, it's one of the "Continuing Anglican" churches or the more recent split, the "Anglican Church in North America." If it says "Episcopal" without any modifiers, it's the parent church.

Sorry to go into all that if it's unnecessary, but maybe it'll help you or someone else in another conversation some day.

In addition, I know where many of the Continuing or ACNA churches are--or to be more exact, where they are not. And my memory is saying there are none in Salt Lake City. I will double check, though, and let you know if it turns out I'm mistaken.

As a footnote to that, though, I should probably say that you can occasionally find an Episcopal parish that resists the national church's theological orientation and would not be notably liberal. But that's rare, and Utah is not one of the parts of the country that has that reputation.

Lastly, the LCMS question. That's an interesting one, for sure. By all comparative standards, they are close. When conservative Episcopalians decide it's time to find a new church, they probably choose the LCMS more often than any other. I've not seen any data on that, but that's my feeling. Bear in mind that each person has different priorities, so I don't know which of these differences would rank higher than the next one to you.

Polity/government--All Anglican and Episcopal churches are governed by bishops in Apostolic Succession. The LCMS has a presbyterian-type government of representative assemblies and elected national officers, etc. (The ELCA has bishops, but that's the liberal branch of American Lutheranism and a close ally of the Episcopal Church.)

Sacraments--Baptism about the same, but Communion is somewhat different. Lutherans believe that the bread and wine remain bread and wine but also take on the physical nature of Christ in addition. That's like the Catholics except that they believe the bread and wine are totally changed except for the appearance, etc. Anglicans normally say it's a spiritual change, although a real one, or they say it's a mystery best not defined.

Doctrine--LCMS Lutherans are typically Lutheran in being very precise in their doctrinal statements and demand correctness. Anglicans generally, even the conservatives, recognize our historic flexibility on matters that are not considered essentials of the faith. Lutherans agree in principle but you'll find them more determined to dot a lot more "I"s if you know what I mean.

Worship--Not a lot of difference in format, although many people think that there is a certain sobriety about Lutherans, and Anglicans are, well, English in style. There is a style difference that is a bit hard to identify. Some people say that there's a seriousness about the Lutheran worship but yet there's often a degree of casualness that offends Anglicans.

In most other ways, these are two pretty similar churches. BTW, the church that probably comes in second with fleeing Episcopalians is the Presbyterian Church in America, but that works only for those Evangelical Anglicans who are in favor of a more bare-bones liturgy coupled with a belief in Calvinistic views of salvation.

Whew. Don't hesitate to get back to me if there's something that doesn't exactly "click." ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0