When the Bible lies and youre tempted beyond what you can bear...

InChristAlone525

May 12, 2022
tropics
✟10,478.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sounds like you are taking the first step, which is acceptance that you have a problem. Please don't call God a liar though. He wants to take you through the healing of the addiction but you have to allow him to. The root of addiction is shame and unfortunately religion shames people. God doesn't shame you, people and your inner voice shames you. A really good book on shame is "healing the shame that binds you", it is not really a christian book but it's the book that helped my husband and I turn to Christ. We had so much toxic shame that we became a false self, either less than human or more than human. Less than human means you hate yourself and thus don't have the motivation to do the work to get better. If you've ever watched that show 600 lb life or something like that many of the people on that show with food addiction hate themselves or had some sort of toxic shame from when a child. One guy I saw needed to forgive his Dad, and then once he was able to do that he lost a lot of weight. It's different for everyone but there is a root for eveyrone. Find the root cause.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Ok so there's a sin that I keep living in over and over again. It's a VERY strong sin that I cannot get out of because the temptation is to great. Paul tells us that God will never let us be tempted beyond what we can bear. But yeah this sin has such a powerful hold on me that I have to do it everyday. Especially in the afternoon/at night. No it's not inappropriate contentography I kicked that life long habit to the curb. It's not drugs or adultery or anything quite that bad. It's gluttony, the worst sin
Exercise is a good cure for gluttony - If you burn off enough calories you can actually reduce your hunger and exhaust your intake of calories.

And of course you can "glutton" all you want on green leafy vegetables without any harm.

But in general --

Eph 6 says only those who have put on "the full armor" for a given day "are able to stand firm" for that day.

"having done everything -- stand firm".

Problem is... most people don't do it.

Upvote 0

Freth

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟382,131.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Ok so there's a sin that I keep living in over and over again. It's a VERY strong sin that I cannot get out of because the temptation is to great. Paul tells us that God will never let us be tempted beyond what we can bear. But yeah this sin has such a powerful hold on me that I have to do it everyday. Especially in the afternoon/at night. No it's not inappropriate contentography I kicked that life long habit to the curb. It's not drugs or adultery or anything quite that bad. It's gluttony, the worst sin that I'm unable to avoid no matter how hard I try. I buy healthy food, I still gain weight and indulge in gluttony because I eat a ridiculous amount of it. I'm just ever more being close to being over 500 pounds. I'm really not that far away. I can't stop no matter how hard I try, is there any hope for me?

There is hope. I used to be addicted to eating huge meals myself, among many other addictions.

I found success in reducing my portions to a normal size (not eating huge plates, not eating seconds and thirds), and changing my diet. The biggest change being removing meat and highly processed foods, which tend to be high calorie. Switching to a vegetarian diet has reduced my calorie intake, which means I am steadily losing weight as a natural byproduct of diet change. I don't feel bloated anymore, or tired from eating too much, and I have plenty of energy. I don't have sugar spikes because I've reduced my sugar intake to mainly come from fruits. Another thing I noticed is aches and pains have gone away. My back doesn't hurt anymore, nor does my chronically painful ankle from a bad sprain in the 90's.

Going vegetarian can be a challenge because of a life-long dependence on meat as a main food group. It's when you find tasty meal recipes that you enjoy that you start to wean yourself off of meat and eventually you're just not eating it anymore.

One of my favorite foods to make is wraps, which you can put just about any food combination in. I keep it simple with beans, some greens (spinach, for instance), onion and a small bit of salad dressing or a dab of sauce. This is also an easy way to get a variety of vegetables into your diet by combining them together in the wraps, making it more flavorful. Keep meals simple and as natural as possible. Vegetables, grains, nuts, fruits.

Exercise, I'd recommend starting slow and walking leisurely for short distances, then work your way up to about a half hour of walking up to five days a week, and you will lose weight steadily. You don't want to lose it too fast so that your body can adjust. Fresh air is something you need to get on a regular basis. Crack a window at night for a better night's sleep.

I've steadily lost weight with exercise, portion control and diet change. I am well on my way to a normal weight, and I feel great.

Upvote 0