✟17,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I know this seems like a small deal:

But I never know when to joke around, when to be serious, etc.

Is it enough just to act like the other person? To act "Seasoned with salt?"

I know it seems silly, but I never have the time to deal with these issues. Any suggestions on finding the time?

When the cops are putting you in cuffs don't joke around. When you're notifying a family about the death of a loved one don't joke around. When you're proposing to the other love of your life don't joke around. Those are all, obviously, very solemn occasions. There are others and simple judgment will show you what they are as they happen.

Upvote 0

wayfaring man

Veteran
Jan 25, 2004
✟20,565.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Personally I find most " joking around " to be inappropriate and insensative . We live in a world which is reeling to and fro with sickness and woe , people are hurting on all sides , both inside and out , this is hardly the time to be fooling around , not that there even ever is a good time , and not that we don't have sincere cause for joy and thanksgiving either .

But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints;
Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.
<-----> Ephesians 5:3+4

For our rejoicing is this, the testimony of our conscience, that in simplicity and godly sincerity, not with fleshly wisdom, but by the grace of God, we have had our conversation in the world, and more abundantly to you-ward. <-----> 2nd Corinthians 1:12

May The Lord Be Magnified !

wm

Upvote 0

personone

Sep 17, 2010
✟7,637.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Personally I find most " joking around " to be inappropriate and insensative . We live in a world which is reeling to and fro with sickness and woe , people are hurting on all sides , both inside and out , this is hardly the time to be fooling around , not that there even ever is a good time , and not that we don't have sincere cause for joy and thanksgiving either .

wm

But that's my point. If the apostles want us to be "Serious and self-controlled", does seriousness mean laack of humor?

Upvote 0

wayfaring man

Veteran
Jan 25, 2004
✟20,565.00
Faith
Non-Denom
But that's my point. If the apostles want us to be "Serious and self-controlled", does seriousness mean laack of humor?

There are many kinds of ways to experience humor . Contrived humor is often an exhibition of wit , which scarcely serves the seriousness of preaching The Gospel to a lost and dying world .

But sometimes things happen in an unexpected manner which we naturally find humorous , and that may be an integral part of this human experience .

So , I'd say if one tries to make things funny , they're focusing their efforts in a rather unfruitful way , but if something happens to be funny , based upon it's own nature , or occurance , it's not wrong to enjoy the moment ... provided we are not being overly self-indulgent or sinful in our reaction / reponse .

Hope this is a help to you .

wm

Upvote 0

Jonnley

Aug 29, 2010
✟7,630.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When you want to tell someone of a truth (especially to correct them of wrongdoing) A good option is through humor, so you won't appear condemning.

Jokes can also express tolerance over a matter but still expressing its truth.

A good motivation for joking is for gently leading people to Christ.

Though tolerable, joking just to get attention or to feel good by making people laugh aren't really very noble purposes.

Keep praying the holy spirit will work in you more clearly so you know when to act in a way or not. Keep praying also he purges whatever is impure within you so you will radiate in purity and will have less need for jokes.

I believe a loving spirit is definitely higher and more influencial than a funny spirit.

Upvote 0

FaithPleases

Jun 22, 2010
✟15,762.00
Faith
Christian
That is my problem, I am a jokester who goes to making fun of people to have a good time. And indeed we have a good time. I am very slowly moving away from that point. At first I thought, what is the point of not joking when it is something that I will probably never be able to stop. But then I thought, well I am to follow the ways of the Jesus and he did not sin, so I just as well try and keep the sin out for as longs as I can.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

janny108

Feb 7, 2005
Arizona
Visit site
✟23,724.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Make your jokes clean and benevolent, and it's all good. Humour plays a big role in human life. It's good stuff and worth having.

I agree about the clean and benovolent issue and everyone should like to laugh, but at what is the question at least with certain relatives I know...:D

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
But I never know when to joke around, when to be serious, etc.

Is it enough just to act like the other person? To act "Seasoned with salt?"

I know it seems silly, but I never have the time to deal with these issues. Any suggestions on finding the time?
It's a good question. I think you will sense that there are people who get your jokes, and ones who don't... then people who don't like to joke, and those who do. It can send you into a very self-aware mode, always gearing your conversations toward what people will handle well. But then, that could apply to whining or philosophizing or intellectualizing... everyone has some tendency that doesn't always fit.

Be yourself. Easy to say. As implied above, use good judgment and discernment with whatever goes out into space, from your brain. Insulting people is not useful, but making jokes about your own weaknesses can sometimes help other people admit that in themselves.

I suspect there's a lot more to talk about in this realm.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums