Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
What's wrong with this picture?

1381623_630055797034341_636847453_n.jpg
well what's wrong is that the picture doesn't tell us how much money Jesus saves.

Reactions: Hammster
Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Rhamiel said:
justice is to give to each person what they are due

God is worthy of worship and praise

idols are not worthy

depriving God of worship is an unjust act

giving worship to false gods is also an unjust act

What are you talking about? What does this have to do with racism or illegal immigration?

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
What are you talking about? What does this have to do with racism or illegal immigration?

they were saying that as Catholics
we should push to have laws that conform to our Catholic faith

if they are consistent on that
it would stand to reason that they would want laws that call for the destruction of idols

I am all for immigration reform, but I think that amnesty would be a mistake
we should be lenient with illegal immigrants
but total amnesty sounds disrespectful to the law

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Rhamiel said:
they were saying that as Catholics
we should push to have laws that conform to our Catholic faith

if they are consistent on that
it would stand to reason that they would want laws that call for the destruction of idols

I am all for immigration reform, but I think that amnesty would be a mistake
we should be lenient with illegal immigrants
but total amnesty sounds disrespectful to the law

Amnesty with a long wait to citizenship contingent on good behavior, working, learning English, and passing all other citizenship requirements.

Also pass the Dream Act. No need to punish children who didn't come to this country voluntarily.

Upvote 0

Second Phoenix

Jul 28, 2013
✟2,668.00
Faith
Christian
Mexicans are entering illegally? Can you blame them?

We have a system deliberately setup to create the same second class citizenry of the third world. We encourage them to come in by having no enforcement of the law.

We have merged our economies - making it almost impossible to live in Mexico on the wages the poor are paid. Minimum wage is about $6... a day. This has really helped Mexico's economy and promoted a middle class - but leaving still a majority population that hasn't risen out of it yet. You may think $6 goes farther than it does here - but it doesn't. Food costs the same, gas costs the same. There is a slightly lower cost on some things involving labor, but its not significant.

If you ride the bus, it's about 50 cents a trip - if you are lucky enough to need only one bus. The Mexican government encourages them to leave, knowing they'll pour money back into their economy. The illegals are poor, the same poor that suffered the same injustices the prophets cried out about. Most people think the prophets were all about worshiping God and living right - but so much of what they said was about social injustices - the rich taking advantage of their own people.

It's hard for us to appreciate the poor, given the social mobility of our society. Throughout most of time, and for most of the immigrants, there is no social mobility. They are poor- no chance for education - no chance for a good job (they all require knowing someone). The only hope they have is to come to America, have American children and let them aspire to something they can never have.

I don't believe in letting anyone in that wants to. We have to be careful, but charitable when it comes to letting people come to find opportunities. I believe only families should be able to emigrate. We should, along with the poor of the third world, push their governments to end the corruption and the deliberate social manipulation that creates this problem.

Mexico WANTS some level of poverty for exploitation - and now are taking advantage of that.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yep. Illegal immigration happens thanks to both sides. The Dems want them here to give them freebies and get their votes. The Republicans want the cheap labor base and $$$.

Mexicans are entering illegally? Can you blame them?

We have a system deliberately setup to create the same second class citizenry of the third world. We encourage them to come in by having no enforcement of the law.

We have merged our economies - making it almost impossible to live in Mexico on the wages the poor are paid. Minimum wage is about $6... a day. This has really helped Mexico's economy and promoted a middle class - but leaving still a majority population that hasn't risen out of it yet. You may think $6 goes farther than it does here - but it doesn't. Food costs the same, gas costs the same. There is a slightly lower cost on some things involving labor, but its not significant.

If you ride the bus, it's about 50 cents a trip - if you are lucky enough to need only one bus. The Mexican government encourages them to leave, knowing they'll pour money back into their economy. The illegals are poor, the same poor that suffered the same injustices the prophets cried out about. Most people think the prophets were all about worshiping God and living right - but so much of what they said was about social injustices - the rich taking advantage of their own people.

It's hard for us to appreciate the poor, given the social mobility of our society. Throughout most of time, and for most of the immigrants, there is no social mobility. They are poor- no chance for education - no chance for a good job (they all require knowing someone). The only hope they have is to come to America, have American children and let them aspire to something they can never have.

I don't believe in letting anyone in that wants to. We have to be careful, but charitable when it comes to letting people come to find opportunities. I believe only families should be able to emigrate. We should, along with the poor of the third world, push their governments to end the corruption and the deliberate social manipulation that creates this problem.

Mexico WANTS some level of poverty for exploitation - and now are taking advantage of that.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
yep....you should hear those radio commercials to the Mexican community from SNAP food assistance government gimme-gimmes...oh man, unreal!!!!!

Exactly. They are being exploited for the benefit of those in power and wealth- which goes against the faith.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KatherineS

Jan 31, 2010
Washington, DC
✟5,152.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Pushing people into social welfare and denying them the motivation and need to work is also against the faith. Taking sides politically is quite difficult, sadly.

Funny, it is the faith institutions that give away handouts as willingly as the government. Are you saying our Catholic Charities work against the faith?

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟441,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Heck if the government can access all our info - why not have them do access to these ppl. Less red tape. :p
I jest.

The Mexican government needs to have a program with names on file and addresses and such so we would be able to access their personal history - such as criminal activities.
That's my beef with illegals.

Otherwise - cut thru the red tape and make the system move as fast as a NY minute vs molasses in January... and then some.

Should have head quarters near the borders - so ppl can go to them with complaints and - immediate back ground checks.
This way they should be able to pay 'temporary taxes' until such time as a green card, citizenship etc.
Have them work 2 years before applying for any assistance by paying temp taxes. This will integrate them into the system.

BUT never forget our enemies also want in here. So we need back ground checks on al illegals and not just our neighbors - like Al queda and other terrorists.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟441,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Pushing people into social welfare and denying them the motivation and need to work is also against the faith. Taking sides politically is quite difficult, sadly.

True - ppl need to work and the Catholic charities across the world implement working thus receiving charity - not just handing off goods for doing nothing.

Again - get them working and paying temp taxes.
Until such time the red tape is finished.
meantime if we can integrate health care soon - in a press of a button world wide info - all governments should be inclined to have data on all criminals in their country.

Upvote 0

TheOtherHockeyMom

Contributor
Jul 9, 2008
✟14,889.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
hockeymom

are you going to start working to outlaw the creation of idols?

bring back sodomy laws?

Here's what I'm thinking and trying to get at with these posts.

Groups like the Vatican, various Popes, and the Bishops have issued statements and positions on a variety of things, from gay marriage to gun control, from abortion to just war, from birth control to immigration...statements describing the Catholic response to these social concerns.

As a struggling Catholic, I admit I have a problem with a few areas. I can't wrap my head around the need to outlaw secular gay marriage, while at the same time, I respect the authority of the Church to define what kind of marriage is sacramental. If I didn't, I wouldn't be working hard to make sure my own marriage would be able to be converted into a sacramental one.

I also have a hard time with the prohibition on all kinds of birth control, including barrier methods, which I think can do some good to reduce the number of abortions and sexually transmitted diseases, especially in developing countries.

I have been struggling to understand, and to bring my feelings more in line with the Church, but at the same time, I don't claim to be in full communion with the Church and see myself as a poor example of a good Catholic.

My query is why is it so easy for people to support what they hear from the Church on gay marriage, for example, yet write off what they hear from the Church on gun control, just wars, and immigration?

I know that I need to keep learning from the Church and try to understand their views on the issues I disagree with.

Upvote 0