Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Nothing that isn't wrong today. Those men are no different from the modern day Christians who ignore the Church's continued calls for amnesty and immigration reform. People get so busy trying to define "real Americans" that they lose focus on what it is to be a real Christian.

Upvote 0

Needing_Grace

Chief of Sinners
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
✟11,799.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Nothing that isn't wrong today. Those men are no different from the modern day Christians who ignore the Church's continued calls for amnesty and immigration reform. People get so busy trying to define "real Americans" that they lose focus on what it is to be a real Christian.

This.

Upvote 0

catholicbybirth

St. Louis, pray for me.
Aug 11, 2012
Western Kentucky
✟17,029.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Except, Mike, the slaves did not ask to come to this country. IOW, those who are crossing the border now without going through the legal channels, are committing a crime. They are entering the country illegally.

Those the KKK were fighting against did not enter into the country illegally. Therefore they were wrong.

I saw, lock up the illegal immigrants and while they are in prison, start their path to US citizenship. They should have to pay for the crime of entering the US illegally.

Also, how many that are thinking as I do, that the illegal immigrants should not have a free pass to citizenship, believe that they should be lynched? Not I, they are humans, but they need to own up to their crime of entering the US illegally. If they can't do the time, they should not of done the crime.

Janice

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Except, Mike, the slaves did not ask to come to this country. IOW, those who are crossing the border now without going through the legal channels, are committing a crime. They are entering the country illegally.

Those the KKK were fighting against did not enter into the country illegally. Therefore they were wrong.

Slavery was long dead by the time that photograph was taken.

I saw, lock up the illegal immigrants and while they are in prison, start their path to US citizenship. They should have to pay for the crime of entering the US illegally.

What good will come from locking them up en masse? Teaching them a lesson?

Also, how many that are thinking as I do, that the illegal immigrants should not have a free pass to citizenship, believe that they should be lynched? Not I, they are humans, but they need to own up to their crime of entering the US illegally. If they can't do the time, they should not of done the crime.

I rode motorcycles on public roads in excess of 150mph on perhaps 1000 ocasions durring my youth. What punnishment do you recomend for me? I used illegal drugs a handfull of times. I'm a serial jaywalker. I broke laws not because I sought a better life for my family but for fun, far worse than what the typical illegal immigrant has done. What do I owe and how long should I sit?

Reactions: Armoured
Upvote 0

InnerPhyre

Nov 13, 2003
✟71,967.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

The cost of doing this would be astronimical. What do you do with the children of those who came across the border to seek relief from a life of perpetual poverty and despair? How about the ones who came to escape from the drug wars that are happening in Northern Mexico? Shall we take their children away from them and break up their families? Incarceration is not a good blanket response. Is it right to satisfy our sense of "Justice" if that means that no one actually wins? Is that how God deals with us? I kind of hope not.

Upvote 0

catholicbybirth

St. Louis, pray for me.
Aug 11, 2012
Western Kentucky
✟17,029.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The cost of doing this would be astronimical. What do you do with the children of those who came across the border to seek relief from a life of perpetual poverty and despair? How about the ones who came to escape from the drug wars that are happening in Northern Mexico? Shall we take their children away from them and break up their families? Incarceration is not a good blanket response. Is it right to satisfy our sense of "Justice" if that means that no one actually wins? Is that how God deals with us? I kind of hope not.

If they are coming over to get away from the drug wars, then let them claim amnesty, and if what they say fits in the guidelines for amnesty, then the government should grant it.

Petition the US to help them eradicate their country from drug lords. Surely that could be done.

Are you comparing humans to God? Surely humans will come out looking bad every time, so that was just hyperbole, wasn't it?

Should we only imprison those who we can afford to imprison?

We should send the children back to be with other family members. Is that not we did for Elia Kazan, or whatever his name was.

IOW, we should take long hard looks at what is going on. We should think what general amnesty would instigate. We have granted blanket amnesty before, so why would we do it again? All it does is encourage folks to enter the country illegally, because eventually we will grant them amnesty.

We should try to help those who are fleeing their countries illegally to fight for their countries. But only if they ask for the help. And yes, this would be a fight for the security of our country. For not only innocent people who are fleeing their countries to get away from drug wars are coming over the border, but people who have designs to partake in illegal activities when they get here.

Janice

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

catholicbybirth

St. Louis, pray for me.
Aug 11, 2012
Western Kentucky
✟17,029.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Slavery was long dead by the time that photograph was taken.

I realize that. However, the descendents of the slaves is who the KKK attack and lynch. Or do you think they are "good ole boys"?

What good will come from locking them up en masse? Teaching them a lesson?

Well, it would show them that we are serious about the laws that are on our books.

I rode motorcycles on public roads in excess of 150mph on perhaps 1000 ocasions durring my youth. What punnishment do you recomend for me? I used illegal drugs a handfull of times. I'm a serial jaywalker. I broke laws not because I sought a better life for my family but for fun, far worse than what the typical illegal immigrant has done. What do I owe and how long should I sit?

I'm so happy for you that you enjoy flaunting the laws of the land in which you live. If you had gotten caught doing any of these things, should you have been given a golden star and told you how great it is that you did these things? Your behavior has been detrimental to yourself and those around you. It is only by the grace of God that you are still on this planet.

Janice

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Janice, the USCCB calls for "humane treatment" of illegal immigrants. Is imprisoning 15 million people "humane"? Where would we even put them? In internment camps? Our prisons are already full to bursting.

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I realize that. However, the descendents of the slaves is who the KKK attack and lynch. Or do you think they are "good ole boys"?

The KKK doesn't like the decendents of slaves - but they don't like blacks who are not decendents of slaves any better. They aren't big fans of Catholics either.

Well, it would show them that we are serious about the laws that are on our books.

I would prefer we show them that we are forgiving and willing to help them however we can. I echo the statements of our Church through the USCCB that immigration must become easier and cheaper and that amnesty be granted to these children of God.

[I'm so happy for you that you enjoy flaunting the laws of the land in which you live. If you had gotten caught doing any of these things, should you have been given a golden star and told you how great it is that you did these things? Your behavior has been detrimental to yourself and those around you. It is only by the grace of God that you are still on this planet.

I asked you a question, please answer it. What should be done with me? I have broken laws and gotten away with it. Don't you think I should be thrown in prison to teach me a lesson and to demonstrate to me the importance of following the laws of the land? What do I owe and how long should I sit?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TheOtherHockeyMom

Contributor
Jul 9, 2008
✟14,889.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
It's like the just war thread...to some, the teachings of the Church are only worth following when they line up with supporting one's country, or at least one's vision of it.
God says, "don't engage in gay sex"...wait, let's see what are political party says...it agrees, great! Let's get outspoken against gay sex!!!
God says, "treat immigrants in a welcoming way"...wait, looks like our party doesn't support immigrants, looks like we better keep those lawbreakers out, perhaps the Church got this one wrong.

Upvote 0

InnerPhyre

Nov 13, 2003
✟71,967.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
If they are coming over to get away from the drug wars, then let them claim amnesty, and if what they say fits in the guidelines for amnesty, then the government should grant it.

Petition the US to help them eradicate their country from drug lords. Surely that could be done.

So a poor farmer in Mexico whose family is in clear and present danger from the Zeta Cartel should file government paperwork with the United States Government asking for amnesty and requesting American military support? You can't honestly think that's a reasonable solution.

Are you comparing humans to God? Surely humans will come out looking bad every time, so that was just hyperbole, wasn't it?
No, it was not hyperbole. As Christians, everything we do should be compared to what Christ did and what He would do. That is the essence of our salvation: to become Christ-like.

Should we only imprison those who we can afford to imprison?
I'll answer with another question: Should we break our nation financially by imprisoning millions of non-violent offenders to satisfy our sense of "Justice?"

We should send the children back to be with other family members. Is that not we did for Elia Kazan, or whatever his name was.
Do you mean Elian Gonzales? He was sent back to Cuba, where there is not a drug war happening, and where his biological father lived. So if a child comes over with his mother and father, we toss the parents in jail and do what with the child?

IOW, we should take long hard looks at what is going on. We should think what general amnesty would instigate. We have granted blanket amnesty before, so why would we do it again? All it does is encourage folks to enter the country illegally, because eventually we will grant them amnesty.

I agree we need to look harder at the issue. If you don't like the one extreme of amnesty, why must the answer be the opposite extreme of incarceration?

We should try to help those who are fleeing their countries illegally to fight for their countries.
So the Christian response to this encouraging armed rebellion?

But only if they ask for the help. And yes, this would be a fight for the security of our country. For not only innocent people who are fleeing their countries to get away from drug wars are coming over the border, but people who have designs to partake in illegal activities when they get here.

Janice

So for the sake of the guilty, we must not help the innocent? That doesn't quite seem like the essence of the gospel to me. But perhaps I misunderstood the gospel and we should look at the man beaten on the road and say "He should not have been journeying from Jerusalem to Jericho alone."

Upvote 0

hsilgne

Frustrated in Hooterville.
Feb 25, 2005
Canada
✟39,329.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
God says, "treat immigrants in a welcoming way"...wait, looks like our party doesn't support immigrants, looks like we better keep those lawbreakers out, perhaps the Church got this one wrong.

How does... 'treat immigrants in a welcoming way' = 'do not punish people who break the law'?

Upvote 0

TheOtherHockeyMom

Contributor
Jul 9, 2008
✟14,889.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
How does... 'treat immigrants in a welcoming way' = 'do not punish people who break the law'?

If the laws are written in such a way that immigrants are not welcomed into our country, then should we punish them for breaking the law? Would God support our laws as written?

Upvote 0