Argent

Sep 29, 2005
New York, NY
✟10,621.00
Faith
Baptist
Politics
US-Libertarian
This thread is intended as a companion piece to Robert (BAFriend)'s two "What Would You Do?" poll threads. I'm not posting it as a poll, because I want to leave room for open ended answers.

The situation to deal with is this:

A young woman, let's say age 19 now, was systematically molested as a small child by her father, and suffers from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder as a result. She grew up in the custody of her "mothers" -- her actual mother by blood and the woman her mother took for life partner after leaving the girl's father. She was attempting to follow the Lord in the tradition of the Society of Friends, and had finally admitted to herself that, like her mother, she had bisexual tendencies. While she loves her mother, she does have some difficulties with her.

Suppose you encountered her online, say in one of these threads, and got some of the facts about her story. What would you do? What advice would you give her?

There's a special reason I'm setting up this particular scenario, and I want to deal with that after people have answered it as a hypothetical scenario. Thanks.
I would tell here that as a Baptist I can't in good conscience say that having gay sex is within God's will for His children, but if she's finding some sort of spirituality in the Quakers, then go ahead and pursue it.

I would also highly recommend counseling. DBT (Dialectical Behavioral Therapy) with a psychiatrist trained in DBT might help her a lot, but my understanding is that they are hard to find.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟995,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
[SIZE=-1]I used to believe as you do till God showed me the light.[/SIZE]

I seriously doubt that, but it is irrelevant to anything.

Once knew a pastor of a large church, one of those denominations that don't believe in divorce. Was a staunch anti-divorce preacher for 25+ years, until his own daughter was divorced and he performed the ceremony when she remarried. Appears he suddenly found some scriptural justification for divorce when it affected his own family. True faith is NOT impacted by personal circumstances.

And this irrelevant digression about what you did or did not once believe still does not address your accusations. Where have I posted any verse, "ripped out of its context?" Or indicated that, "The Bible is full of magic sayings?"

You made the accusation, now back it up or pack it up.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟995,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
[SIZE=-1]I seriously doubt that your so-called research amounts to anything than a lot of prejudice and hot air.[/SIZE]
Still posting nothing, and still unable to back up your false accusations.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟995,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
. . .[SIZE=-1]And God still told me you're wrong.[/SIZE]

Yeah right! Automatonic nonsensicial reply. I'm sure God told you that ALL the Hebrew scholars, from the time of Moses were wrong, and that the entire early church in the first 300-400 years of the church were also wrong.

Just like God told Jim Jones to feed his congregation poison koolaid. And like God told David Koresh to lead his congregation in a self barbecue in El Paso.

Upvote 0