United States of America
✟18,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
We are called to "die to ourselves each day", as Paul puts it. Obviously this doesn't mean killing yourself slowly, but rather to leave things of your previous life of the world behind. Fasting helps us focus less on our carnal desires and more on God. And fasting can take many forms, its not jsut a food fast. One can fast form anything important to them like: facebook, texting, movies, et cetera. Basically anything you feel you could do less of to focus more on your walk with Christ. Hope this helped!

Upvote 0

berachah

Jesus Christ is Lord of heaven and earth
Site Supporter
Oct 5, 2004
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟53,247.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
By denying the lust of the flesh, (fasting) we allow the spirit to grow, which makes us far more receptive to what God is wanting to say to us. Our prayers become more Spirit-led (therefore more effective) our receptiveness and discernment increases dramatically and after the first day or two the devil loses the capacity to interfere in our interaction with God.

I have never completed a fast without some huge spiritual realignment, revelation or breakthrough. Fasting on water is most effective, but you could also consider juice. Anything less than that is not very effective.

Upvote 0

Child of JC

Created to Love, and be Loved
Dec 31, 2004
Northern Ontario
Visit site
✟10,346.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Fasting on water is most effective, but you could also consider juice. Anything less than that is not very effective.
I'm not sure this is truth for everyone. I would have debated this with you but as I look back I have to say it's true for me. Have you experienced fasts where you drank more than juice or water and didn't experience a breakthrough? I've fasted a lot. In the recent years I have tried to bring a level of comfort by drinking anything I wanted. I didn't receive correction from the Lord but I feel that the fasts were not very effective. In fact, it's hard to recall any change at all.
I'm starting a fast today and I'm praying that it's not the same as it's been in the past. One of my life motto's is "if you want different results then you have to do things differently".
Thanks for your post. Overall, I feel God is refining me. This fast is the start of something new.

Upvote 0

justhamp

Oct 9, 2012
✟15,150.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
every instance in scripture where fasting is mention, it is always in conjunction with abstaining from food in some way. Your body NEEDS food to sustain life, but your spirit NEEDS the voice of God to live (Matthew 4).
Fasting quiets the cry of your flesh's loudest cries, for food. It wants many other things but food and water are at the top of its priority list. Once those cravings are brought into subjection to the Spirit of God, you will be able to "hear" more clearly His voice because the "voice" of your flesh that you normally listen to has been quieted.
There is so much more valuable info for you on the site understandfasting.com ;)

Upvote 0

berachah

Jesus Christ is Lord of heaven and earth
Site Supporter
Oct 5, 2004
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟53,247.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Have you experienced fasts where you drank more than juice or water and didn't experience a breakthrough? I've fasted a lot. In the recent years I have tried to bring a level of comfort by drinking anything I wanted.

Any fasting is better than none, but my experience is, the greater the denial, the greater the benefit. All the best for the fast....drink lots of water so the body can also do it cleansing processes at the same time.

Upvote 0

ElijahW

Jan 8, 2011
✟8,675.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think the main mental/spiritual help that fasting brings is that it helps practice control over the voice/s in your head. Lot's of times the voice has control over what we do or at least how we feel, and fasting helps separate that voice from the self/soul some by making it simplistic by focusing it's desire desire to "give me something tasty" during a fast. That is a much simpler desire to control and deal with in your mind, then what can often be going on inside the mind of an individual that distracts them from thinking about the what is beneficial.

Upvote 0
A

All4HISglory

To add to what many have shared here, fasting for me has also been about filtering.

The world we live in today allows us to be exposed to many things, even things outside of our control. In my experience, fasting from food along with the "things of the world" (internet, social media, cell phones, magazines etc.) allows me to filter things out and replace what would normally surround me with more of God. By supplementing TV hours with prayer and studying, having praise and worship instead of sitting at my computer while incorporating all of this with refraining from food, has almost always, allowed me move forward in God in ways that are unimaginable. Even just being able to have a greater capacity of patience, or grace comes from fasting.

Even though I live my life before God on a daily basis, fasting is set aside to focus solely on Him. There are things that we just can't stop (like being a spouse or parent) but that in which we have control over, remove it and replace it with seeking God, and you will be able to reach another level in Him. Everything becomes much clearer. The bible says for us to draw closer to Him and He will draw closer to us. So the more we reach out, the closer our relationship and fellowship with Him is.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Criada

Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2007
✟114,628.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Mod Hat On
dr-seuss-cat-in-hat-2.jpg

This thread has been moved from the 'Fasting' forum.
Some posts by non-Christians have been removed to avoid violating the rules of this forum.

Mod Hat Off

Upvote 0

chilehed

Veteran
Jul 31, 2003
Michigan
✟237,116.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
St. Thomas Acquinas said that fasting has a threefold purpose:
First, in order to bridle the lusts of the flesh;
Secondly, we have recourse to fasting in order that the mind may arise more freely to the contemplation of heavenly things;
Thirdly, in order to satisfy for sins.​
By fasting, we deprive ourselves of a good in order to attain a greater good.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟736,252.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

Fasting for me is just an act of obedience. Jesus fasted, he said his disciples would too. I know of many ministers of the gospel who have performed many miraculous signs, including the raising of the dead, all of these attribute it to years of fasting and prayer.

Upvote 0