ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
So how do I know if I am truly trusting in Him?
By confessing that Jesus Christ is Lord, you are confessing saving faith in the blood of Jesus Christ who died on the cross for your sins and mine.

Do you know why you need forgiveness from your sins? Hint: It goes back to the beginning.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Ok. I am so confused by all the different websites I read online. So I am asking here.
1. What must I do to be saved and spend an eternity in Heaven with Jesus Christ?
2. What is saving faith?
3. How do you get or have saving faith?

Most of the answers you'll get on here will likely come from an American Evangelical perspective.

But here's a Lutheran response (Scripture passages are provided in case you want them):

1) You don't do anything to be saved. Salvation isn't something you can achieve by trying hard enough, doing the right things, thinking the right things, or believing the right things. Salvation is God graciously saving you, by sending His Son, the Lord Jesus, who suffered death on the cross for all our sins, and who rose from the dead as victor over sin, death, hell, and the devil. It is only Christ who is our salvation. Salvation is therefore by grace alone, that is, by the abundant kindness and generosity of God which He has for us. God acts upon us to grant us faith, faith to trust in Christ, and we receive this faith as a gift from God, not of ourselves, through the preaching of the Word and the Sacraments.

"But God, who is rich in mercy, out of the great love with which he loved us even when we were dead through our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved— and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the ages to come he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. For by grace you have been saved through faith, and this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God— not the result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:4-9

"For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; the same Lord is Lord of all and is generous to all who call on him. For, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.”

But how are they to call on one in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in one of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone to proclaim him? And how are they to proclaim him unless they are sent? As it is written, “How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!” But not all have received the good news; for Isaiah says, “Lord, who has believed our message?” So faith comes from what is heard, and what is heard comes through the word of Christ.
" - Romans 10:12-17

"Do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? Therefore we have been buried with him by baptism into death, so that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life.

For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we will certainly be united with him in a resurrection like his. We know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body of sin might be destroyed, and we might no longer be enslaved to sin. For whoever has died is freed from sin. But if we have died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with him.
" - Romans 6:3-8

2) "Saving faith" is faith that trusts in Christ. Martin Luther, quite eloquently I think, describes it as a "bold trust in God's grace". This isn't a faith we conjure up from within ourselves by our own power, but is faith given to us as a gift from God, because of His kindness toward us. God turns us toward Himself, granting us faith to trust in Christ. It is entirely the work of God, not our own efforts or strength or power.

3) See answer to question 1.

Don't think of "getting saved" as something that happens all in one instant, as though you'll suddenly go from not believing at all, to a powerhouse of faith without any doubt. I mean, with some it certainly seems that happens, but for most Christians faith is a journey that God sets us upon. We hear the Gospel and the Holy Spirit acts upon us, we have been baptized and through this God has joined us to Christ and His Church. Faith can't be forced, nor is faith without questions or doubts. Faith can start very small, and grow, but it is always God doing the work. It is God who not only has saved you, two thousand years ago when Christ died and rose again, but God is now saving you. God is now saving you by calling you to Himself, He is saving you even by what tiny amount of faith you may have, when you hear the Gospel being preached, God is saving you. If you've never received Baptism, be baptized, because in this God is saving you. Hear the Word, receive the Lord's Supper (Communion) here too God is giving you faith, turning to Himself, freely justifying you on Christ's account, because you are found in Christ and His righteousness. Trust Him, He is, right now, saving you.

There is no looking to yourself to find any assurance that you are saved, because there's no salvation in our own efforts, even our best efforts, even our best efforts to believe. It is found only in Jesus Christ, who died for you. Because God loves you, because this good news, this hope, this life which Christ speaks of and offers, it's for you.

Do you believe yet have doubts? The greatest saints in the history of the Church had doubts. Pray like this, "Lord I believe! Help my unbelief!" (Mark 9:24)

Don't try to scale the mountain. Look to Jesus.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Countryangel707

Sep 29, 2015
✟17,970.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
By confessing that Jesus Christ is Lord, you are confessing saving faith in the blood of Jesus Christ who died on the cross for your sins and mine.

Do you know why you need forgiveness from your sins? Hint: It goes back to the beginning.
Because there is no other way to Heaven. I do believe that Jesus is God . I just have trouble with if it it mere mental knowledge or if it is truly in my heart.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Because there is no other way to Heaven. I do believe that Jesus is God . I just have trouble with if it it mere mental knowledge or if it is truly in my heart.
But either way it is showing faith, right? You said you believe that Jesus is God. God will help you. Look to Him.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

Let me share with you my own story.

I grew up in a Christian home, Christian parents, Christian school, the whole nine yards. My earliest memory, from when I was between 3 and 4 years old my parents set me down and explained death to me because my grandfather had suffered a stroke and we didn't know if he'd make it or not (he did, he lived many years after). In the course of that talk my parents led me through what was called the "Sinner's Prayer" where one "asks Jesus into their heart". So I prayed that prayer, though in my child mind I thought that meant I'd never die--my parents corrected me, so I tried to "shoo" Jesus out of my heart. I was barely 4, so I mean what do ya expect?

When I was about 8 years old I had the closest thing a kid could have to a crisis of faith. I was terrified of two things, 1) that I didn't really "mean it" when I asked Jesus into my heart and 2) that whole shooing Jesus away thing. So I talked to my dad, and he led me through the Sinner's Prayer again, you know, just to make sure it stuck this time. He asked if I meant it that time, but I told him I didn't know, because I didn't know how I could know if I really meant it or not, I didn't know what that was supposed to feel like.

When I reached adolescence this really started to bother me, especially as I was confused with the whole hormonal changes that come with puberty and generally feeling dirty for having what were very natural thoughts and feelings about the opposite sex. But I felt dirty, ashamed, horrible, and was certain I couldn't be saved, so I desperately wanted to be saved. I desperately wanted to believe, not just mentally, but deep down in my heart. So I prayed, I prayed a lot.

And that was my adolescent life, from puberty and through high school. We attended a Pentecostal church when I was in high school, and so I desperately tried to feel God every Sunday morning, Sunday evening, and at the two youth groups I attended on Wednesdays and Fridays. I put everything I had, it was emotionally and psychologically exhausting. When I thought I "felt" God I felt great, but then I'd find myself sinning again, and then there would be times when I couldn't feel anything. I'd shut myself in my room some nights and just prostrated myself on the floor pleading, begging, weeping for God to make me better, to make sure I was really, truly, actually, 100% saved.

Everyone who had ever taught me about faith taught me that I should have complete assurance of my salvation. I should just know it. I should, if someone asked me where I'd go if I died that night, be able to say with complete confidence "Heaven" and I'd just know because I knew that I knew. But, and here's the thing, I didn't know how to know, I didn't know what I was supposed to feel or experience that was what everyone was saying. But I tried really hard. And most of the time I did a really good job putting on my pious face. The leaders in my church as well as my peers saw me as quite spiritual, as someone to look up to, and someone who was going to really do something important for God one day. They, however, didn't know what I knew, and that was that I was just a terrible sinner, and in spite of all my begging and pleading for God to make me a real bonafide believer, one that was supposed to be able to grow and mature and overcome certain sins I struggled with--I continued to fluster, fail, fall.

It was that dirty nagging issue about "meaning it".

In my early 20's I had been engaged in online religious discussion forums like this one for a number of years and been learning a lot. But the most important thing that happened in that time was one of the Lutheran posters explained the way Lutherans understand what saved by grace alone through faith alone meant. And it was very different than everything I'd been told about grace alone and faith alone growing up in my Evangelical and Pentecostal upbringing.

And it was very direct, it was almost stupidly simple. It's not about me, it's about Jesus. I'm not the one turning to God, it's that God had turned toward us in Christ. I'm not the one who brings my yes to God, it's that God has already said yes to us. It's not that I need to believe the right things, think the right things, feel the right things, or do the right things; because there's simply nothing I can do, say, feel, think, or believe that will save me. God had already saved me, when He sent Christ who died for me. I was looking to myself and to how I felt and how I thought, instead of looking to what God had done. I wasn't looking at the Cross, I was looking at me. I could know God made me His, I was baptized, and in Baptism I belong to Christ--not ifs, ands, or buts, whoever is baptized into Christ is clothed with Christ (Galatians 3:27).

It was this remarkable moment for me and I realized that the first time I ever really heard the Gospel preached with such clarity was then and there. I knew the Gospel story, I had heard the Gospel, but it had always been muddied and muddled with preaching of the Law, of what I was supposed to do, of what I owed God. The Gospel isn't a law to be obeyed, it's the gracious promise of God to sinners in Christ.

This is the Gospel: "But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Romans 5:8) and "The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, and I am the chief of sinners."

What I realized coming through all of that was that I had always believed. There was never a time I didn't believe. From the moment I came into this world my mother and my father had been preaching the Gospel to me, when learning how to talk I was being trained up in the faith. There simply wasn't a time I had never believed, because the Gospel had been at my ears since I was in diapers. The problem was that in addition to the Gospel it was being confused with the Law. And you always mess things up when you confuse Law and Gospel.

When I speak about the difference between Law and Gospel I mean this (quoting Martin Luther's Heidelberg Disputation)

"The Law says 'Do this' and it is never done. The Gospel says 'Trust this' and it is done already."

What you should not be getting out of this is that I think you should be a Lutheran or be going to a Lutheran church. I'm merely telling my story. What I do want you to get from this is that you can't force or earn faith, you can't work faith into yourself.

I'd put it to you like this, really: The very fact that you care at all enough to even entertain these questions means yes, you have faith. Continue to wrestle with your faith, but you do have faith. And I pray one day you will be able to look back and see that you had faith even when you didn't think you did.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Countryangel707

Sep 29, 2015
✟17,970.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Let me share with you my own story.

I grew up in a Christian home, Christian parents, Christian school, the whole nine yards. My earliest memory, from when I was between 3 and 4 years old my parents set me down and explained death to me because my grandfather had suffered a stroke and we didn't know if he'd make it or not (he did, he lived many years after). In the course of that talk my parents led me through what was called the "Sinner's Prayer" where one "asks Jesus into their heart". So I prayed that prayer, though in my child mind I thought that meant I'd never die--my parents corrected me, so I tried to "shoo" Jesus out of my heart. I was barely 4, so I mean what do ya expect?

When I was about 8 years old I had the closest thing a kid could have to a crisis of faith. I was terrified of two things, 1) that I didn't really "mean it" when I asked Jesus into my heart and 2) that whole shooing Jesus away thing. So I talked to my dad, and he led me through the Sinner's Prayer again, you know, just to make sure it stuck this time. He asked if I meant it that time, but I told him I didn't know, because I didn't know how I could know if I really meant it or not, I didn't know what that was supposed to feel like.

When I reached adolescence this really started to bother me, especially as I was confused with the whole hormonal changes that come with puberty and generally feeling dirty for having what were very natural thoughts and feelings about the opposite sex. But I felt dirty, ashamed, horrible, and was certain I couldn't be saved, so I desperately wanted to be saved. I desperately wanted to believe, not just mentally, but deep down in my heart. So I prayed, I prayed a lot.

And that was my adolescent life, from puberty and through high school. We attended a Pentecostal church when I was in high school, and so I desperately tried to feel God every Sunday morning, Sunday evening, and at the two youth groups I attended on Wednesdays and Fridays. I put everything I had, it was emotionally and psychologically exhausting. When I thought I "felt" God I felt great, but then I'd find myself sinning again, and then there would be times when I couldn't feel anything. I'd shut myself in my room some nights and just prostrated myself on the floor pleading, begging, weeping for God to make me better, to make sure I was really, truly, actually, 100% saved.

Everyone who had ever taught me about faith taught me that I should have complete assurance of my salvation. I should just know it. I should, if someone asked me where I'd go if I died that night, be able to say with complete confidence "Heaven" and I'd just know because I knew that I knew. But, and here's the thing, I didn't know how to know, I didn't know what I was supposed to feel or experience that was what everyone was saying. But I tried really hard. And most of the time I did a really good job putting on my pious face. The leaders in my church as well as my peers saw me as quite spiritual, as someone to look up to, and someone who was going to really do something important for God one day. They, however, didn't know what I knew, and that was that I was just a terrible sinner, and in spite of all my begging and pleading for God to make me a real bonafide believer, one that was supposed to be able to grow and mature and overcome certain sins I struggled with--I continued to fluster, fail, fall.

It was that dirty nagging issue about "meaning it".

In my early 20's I had been engaged in online religious discussion forums like this one for a number of years and been learning a lot. But the most important thing that happened in that time was one of the Lutheran posters explained the way Lutherans understand what saved by grace alone through faith alone meant. And it was very different than everything I'd been told about grace alone and faith alone growing up in my Evangelical and Pentecostal upbringing.

And it was very direct, it was almost stupidly simple. It's not about me, it's about Jesus. I'm not the one turning to God, it's that God had turned toward us in Christ. I'm not the one who brings my yes to God, it's that God has already said yes to us. It's not that I need to believe the right things, think the right things, feel the right things, or do the right things; because there's simply nothing I can do, say, feel, think, or believe that will save me. God had already saved me, when He sent Christ who died for me. I was looking to myself and to how I felt and how I thought, instead of looking to what God had done. I wasn't looking at the Cross, I was looking at me. I could know God made me His, I was baptized, and in Baptism I belong to Christ--not ifs, ands, or buts, whoever is baptized into Christ is clothed with Christ (Galatians 3:27).

It was this remarkable moment for me and I realized that the first time I ever really heard the Gospel preached with such clarity was then and there. I knew the Gospel story, I had heard the Gospel, but it had always been muddied and muddled with preaching of the Law, of what I was supposed to do, of what I owed God. The Gospel isn't a law to be obeyed, it's the gracious promise of God to sinners in Christ.

This is the Gospel: "But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Romans 5:8) and "The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, and I am the chief of sinners."

What I realized coming through all of that was that I had always believed. There was never a time I didn't believe. From the moment I came into this world my mother and my father had been preaching the Gospel to me, when learning how to talk I was being trained up in the faith. There simply wasn't a time I had never believed, because the Gospel had been at my ears since I was in diapers. The problem was that in addition to the Gospel it was being confused with the Law. And you always mess things up when you confuse Law and Gospel.

When I speak about the difference between Law and Gospel I mean this (quoting Martin Luther's Heidelberg Disputation)

"The Law says 'Do this' and it is never done. The Gospel says 'Trust this' and it is done already."

What you should not be getting out of this is that I think you should be a Lutheran or be going to a Lutheran church. I'm merely telling my story. What I do want you to get from this is that you can't force or earn faith, you can't work faith into yourself.

I'd put it to you like this, really: The very fact that you care at all enough to even entertain these questions means yes, you have faith. Continue to wrestle with your faith, but you do have faith. And I pray one day you will be able to look back and see that you had faith even when you didn't think you did.

-CryptoLutheran
that story sounds almost exactly like mine.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Essentially it's very, very simple. Jesus said we must come as a child. It's that simple.

The key lies in acknowledging the fact that we cannot save ourselves. That there is nothing we can do to save ourselves. It follows then, that salvation is a free gift. It has to be, or we cannot be saved at all, because we cannot earn it.

If you can accept that, then the next step is to trust Jesus to save you right where you are, "just as I am", even if you can't clean yourself up, even if you can't jump through umpteen religious hoops.

Can you do that? Can you say to Him, "Lord, I cannot save myself. I ask You to save me. I ask You to come in and guide me the way You want me to go. I am going to believe in Your goodness (Heb 11.6), that You want to save me, just as the Bible says. I am going to begin to trust You, day by day, moment by moment."

Can you do that? That is a transfer of spiritual sovereignty from yourself to the Lord. You've handed over the keys, given Him the driver's seat. And with that, the responsibility is now off you and on Him, where it belongs. He can handle it, because Jesus already paid the price.

If Jesus said a child could get it, what then is our problem? We complicate things with our fears and doubts. It doesn't have to be so. It helps to understand the problem, so we can cast the fears and doubts down when they come. Because they really are a waste of time. God is holy. That means He is untainted by the corruptions of this world.

God is love, 1Jn says, and He is greater than both our understanding and our sin (Jesus overpaid the price of our sin). Rom 10 assures us that no one who puts his trust in Him will be ashamed.

Upvote 0
Oct 20, 2015
✟628.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I am so confused by all the different websites I read online

In my opinion, the Gospels - particularly the Gospels of Matthew and Luke - are probably better sources of this kind of knowledge than the Internet (see below). These are only my opinions, though. As the handle says, I am not a theologian.

1. What must I do to be saved and spend an eternity in Heaven with Jesus Christ?

Then Jesus told his disciples, “If any man would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.For whoever would save his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.For what will it profit a man, if he gains the whole world and forfeits his life? Or what shall a man give in return for his life?For the Son of man is to come with his angels in the glory of his Father, and then he will repay every man for what he has done.
(Matthew 16:24–27)​

“Woe to the world for temptations to sin! For it is necessary that temptations come, but woe to the man by whom the temptation comes!And if your hand or your foot causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away; it is better for you to enter life maimed or lame than with two hands or two feet to be thrown into the eternal fire.And if your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out and throw it away; it is better for you to enter life with one eye than with two eyes to be thrown into the hell of fire.
(Matthew 18:7–9)​

And behold, one came up to him, saying, “Teacher, what good deed must I do, to have eternal life?”And he said to him, “Why do you ask me about what is good? One there is who is good. If you would enter life, keep the commandments.”He said to him, “Which?” And Jesus said, “You shall not kill, You shall not commit adultery, You shall not steal, You shall not bear false witness,Honor your father and mother, and, You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”
(Matthew 19:16–19)​

“Then who can be saved?” But he said, “What is impossible with men is possible with God.”And Peter said, “Lo, we have left our homes and followed you.”And he said to them, “Truly, I say to you, there is no man who has left house or wife or brothers or parents or children, for the sake of the kingdom of God,who will not receive manifold more in this time, and in the age to come eternal life.”
(Luke 18:26–30)​

and perhaps most importantly

“When the Son of man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne.Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate them one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats,and he will place the sheep at his right hand, but the goats at the left.Then the King will say to those at his right hand, ‘Come, O blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world;for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me,I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see thee hungry and feed thee, or thirsty and give thee drink?And when did we see thee a stranger and welcome thee, or naked and clothe thee?And when did we see thee sick or in prison and visit thee?’And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brethren, you did it to me.’Then he will say to those at his left hand, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels;for I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink,I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.’Then they also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see thee hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to thee?’Then he will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it not to one of the least of these, you did it not to me.’And they will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”
(Matthew 25:31–46)​

2. What is saving faith?

Keeping in mind that in Greek the exact same word is used to mean "save" and "heal" or "be made well", perhaps we could meditate on the following:

And behold, a woman who had suffered from a hemorrhage for twelve years came up behind him and touched the fringe of his garment;for she said to herself, “If I only touch his garment, I shall be made well.”Jesus turned, and seeing her he said, “Take heart, daughter; your faith has made you well.” And instantly the woman was made well.
(Matthew 9:20–22)

And they came to Jericho; and as he was leaving Jericho with his disciples and a great multitude, Bartimaeus, a blind beggar, the son of Timaeus, was sitting by the roadside.And when he heard that it was Jesus of Nazareth, he began to cry out and say, “Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!”And many rebuked him, telling him to be silent; but he cried out all the more, “Son of David, have mercy on me!”And Jesus stopped and said, “Call him.” And they called the blind man, saying to him, “Take heart; rise, he is calling you.”And throwing off his mantle he sprang up and came to Jesus.And Jesus said to him, “What do you want me to do for you?” And the blind man said to him, “Master, let me receive my sight.”And Jesus said to him, “Go your way; your faith has made you well.” And immediately he received his sight and followed him on the way.
(Mark 10:46–52)

One of the Pharisees asked him to eat with him, and he went into the Pharisee’s house, and took his place at table.And behold, a woman of the city, who was a sinner, when she learned that he was at table in the Pharisee’s house, brought an alabaster flask of ointment,and standing behind him at his feet, weeping, she began to wet his feet with her tears, and wiped them with the hair of her head, and kissed his feet, and anointed them with the ointment.Now when the Pharisee who had invited him saw it, he said to himself, “If this man were a prophet, he would have known who and what sort of woman this is who is touching him, for she is a sinner.”And Jesus answering said to him, “Simon, I have something to say to you.” And he answered, “What is it, Teacher?”“A certain creditor had two debtors; one owed five hundred denarii, and the other fifty.When they could not pay, he forgave them both. Now which of them will love him more?”Simon answered, “The one, I suppose, to whom he forgave more.” And he said to him, “You have judged rightly.”Then turning toward the woman he said to Simon, “Do you see this woman? I entered your house, you gave me no water for my feet, but she has wet my feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair.You gave me no kiss, but from the time I came in she has not ceased to kiss my feet.You did not anoint my head with oil, but she has anointed my feet with ointment.Therefore I tell you, her sins, which are many, are forgiven, for she loved much; but he who is forgiven little, loves little.”And he said to her, “Your sins are forgiven.”Then those who were at table with him began to say among themselves, “Who is this, who even forgives sins?”And he said to the woman, “Your faith has saved you; go in peace.”
(Luke 7:36–50)​

The Apostles once beseeched the Lord, Increase our faith! (Luke 17:5). Jesus did not give them a direct answer, but said rather:

“Will any one of you, who has a servant plowing or keeping sheep, say to him when he has come in from the field, ‘Come at once and sit down at table’?Will he not rather say to him, ‘Prepare supper for me, and gird yourself and serve me, till I eat and drink; and afterward you shall eat and drink’?Does he thank the servant because he did what was commanded?So you also, when you have done all that is commanded you, say, ‘We are unworthy servants; we have only done what was our duty.’”
(Luke 17:7–10)​

From this we can conclude perhaps that the Lord will give us the faith that we need when we have done all that is commanded us (Luke 17:10).

Upvote 0

Countryangel707

Sep 29, 2015
✟17,970.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Essentially it's very, very simple. Jesus said we must come as a child. It's that simple.

The key lies in acknowledging the fact that we cannot save ourselves. That there is nothing we can do to save ourselves. It follows then, that salvation is a free gift. It has to be, or we cannot be saved at all, because we cannot earn it.

If you can accept that, then the next step is to trust Jesus to save you right where you are, "just as I am", even if you can't clean yourself up, even if you can't jump through umpteen religious hoops.

Can you do that? Can you say to Him, "Lord, I cannot save myself. I ask You to save me. I ask You to come in and guide me the way You want me to go. I am going to believe in Your goodness (Heb 11.6), that You want to save me, just as the Bible says. I am going to begin to trust You, day by day, moment by moment."

Can you do that? That is a transfer of spiritual sovereignty from yourself to the Lord. You've handed over the keys, given Him the driver's seat. And with that, the responsibility is now off you and on Him, where it belongs. He can handle it, because Jesus already paid the price.

If Jesus said a child could get it, what then is our problem? We complicate things with our fears and doubts. It doesn't have to be so. It helps to understand the problem, so we can cast the fears and doubts down when they come. Because they really are a waste of time. God is holy. That means He is untainted by the corruptions of this world.

God is love, 1Jn says, and He is greater than both our understanding and our sin (Jesus overpaid the price of our sin). Rom 10 assures us that no one who puts his trust in Him will be ashamed.
i do believe that. i guess i just have trouble with trusting i guess.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Ok. I am so confused by all the different websites I read online. So I am asking here.
2. What is saving faith?
Repent and be baptized for the forgiveness of sins, and confess that Jesus has died, is risen, and will come again. Begin to walk in his ways and in obedience to his commandments.

A saving faith that initially forgives your sins is one that cries out help to God and receives his Grace. OTOH saving grace that will direct your life as you walk with God, is a working faith -- good works means that your faith is not dead. Actions speak louder than words. It means confessing Christ. And it means obeying him and doing good works. Jesus said the greatest two commandments are loving God and loving your neighbor as yourself. He said what separates the sheep from the goats is that the sheep feed the hungry, visit the sick, clothe the naked, do unto the least of these his children.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

NJA

Jan 9, 2004
Near London
Visit site
✟48,657.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
2. What is saving faith?

1) There is 1 gospel, the same as at the start of the church!
The Spirit was given causing all the disciples to be born again (Acts 2v4).
Others heard speaking in tongues and Peter's explanation that what they could "see and hear" was the outpouring of the Holy Spirit on all flesh in these "last days" and asked:

what shall we do? (v37)

The answer was, and is:
Repent
be baptised
receive the Holy Spirit (vv38-39)

Then live that NEW live by being in fellowship with others who have it - vv39-42
(I'm with these).

2), 3) a man-made term.
Just believe the God-made directives and you will get salvation!
If, like Abraham you have faith, you will do as he says.

Interestingly, "praying in the Holy Spirit" ("in tongues") ministers God's faith! - Jude 20-21, 1 Corinthians 14:2, 4, 14-18.

God will bare independant witness withe signs following (Mark 16:15-20)
That's how it was known precisely when people had received God's (invisible) Spirit - Acts 10:44-46.

Upvote 0

paul1149

Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
i do believe that. i guess i just have trouble with trusting i guess.

Speaking frankly, CA, I asked a couple of questions in my post, and you did not answer them. Can you consider the questions through carefully and give a response would help pinpoint the problem?

Upvote 0

Countryangel707

Sep 29, 2015
✟17,970.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Speaking frankly, CA, I asked a couple of questions in my post, and you did not answer them. Can you consider the questions through carefully and give a response would help pinpoint the problem?
i belieive that Christ died on the cross and i believe that He rose again on the third day.

Upvote 0

paul1149

Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I understand that, CA. But several times now I've tried to help you, and all I keep getting back is one line answers. I detailed what I think is a way forward for you in my post here, and I have no evidence that you carefully considered what I wrote. There's not much more I can do unless I have your thoughtful reflections on it, including specific answers to the questions I asked.

Upvote 0

Countryangel707

Sep 29, 2015
✟17,970.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican

Well I do believe that it is impossible for me to save myself and that the only way to Heaven is through what Christ did on the cross of Calvary. I believe that I am a sinner by birth and In need of a Savior. I do trust that He is the only way. I guess I am just kinda in a rut and not feeling much . Maybe I am saved but I'm just in a slow part of my faith.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.