Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
No man can keep the commandments, we all fall at the first one to love God with all our heart soul etc, it is "the ministry of death and condemnation" (2 Cor. 3:7, 9).
The law is there to show man that there is something missing in him, he needs a new heart.

Jesus' giving his life made a difference, a huge difference, anyone that doesn't see it (by receiving the Life that all the disciples got at Pentecost, and living it) is either not regenerated themselves or they, like the Galatians are turning back to the weak and beggardly elements. So, Hedrick, have you received what Peter said was promised to all who he is now calling? - see Acts 2:4, 33 for details.
But Jesus never expected that we’d keep the commandments perfectly. That’s why he spent so much time talking about forgiveness. And also why he emphasized that the commandments were more about an attitude — love, which means caring about others. The idea that righteousness is an impossible perfection is great Lutheran theology but bad exegesis. Scripture speaks of righteous people all the time, and it doesn’t mean perfection. It means people who care, who show it in what they do, and who repent when they fail. Even if it’s seven times a day in the same way.

And no, I'm not a Pentecostal, though that doesn't mean that the Holy Spirit isn't with me.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟754,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

NJA

Jan 9, 2004
Near London
Visit site
✟48,657.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But Jesus never expected that we’d keep the commandments perfectly. That’s why he spent so much time talking about forgiveness.
They had forgiveness in the old covenant and before, Jesus came to bring power over sin a new and living way.

Scripture speaks of righteous people all the time, and it doesn’t mean perfection.

They did what God asked them to do at that time, righteousness was imputed by this faith.

Now he commands the gospel directives given in Acts 2 onwards.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Lord, I can't save myself but because You came and died on Calvary that means that I can have eternal life and Lord I just ask that You will help me to just trust in You and in You alone for that salvation. It is only threw You that i can have eternal life, none of this worlds "gods" can save me only You Jesus only You. So Lord my prayer is just that You will help me to trust in You alone so that I may have eternal life in You.
Amen.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Lord, I can't save myself but because You came and died on Calvary that means that I can have eternal life and Lord I just ask that You will help me to just trust in You and in You alone for that salvation. It is only threw You that i can have eternal life, none of this worlds "gods" can save me only You Jesus only You. So Lord my prayer is just that You will help me to trust in You alone so that I may have eternal life in You.
CA, how are you doing? Have you been continuing praying this way? Have you felt any different?

Upvote 0

Jordan Kurecki

Separated unto the Gospel of God
Sep 1, 2014
✟15,613.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
1) You don't do anything to be saved. Salvation isn't something you can achieve by trying hard enough, doing the right things, thinking the right things, or believing the right things. Salvation is God graciously saving you, by sending His Son, the Lord Jesus, who suffered death on the cross for all our sins, and who rose from the dead as victor over sin, death, hell, and the devil. It is only Christ who is our salvation. Salvation is therefore by grace alone, that is, by the abundant kindness and generosity of God which He has for us. God acts upon us to grant us faith, faith to trust in Christ, and we receive this faith as a gift from God, not of ourselves, through the preaching of the Word and the Sacraments.

This is heresy, and basically code word for works. There is not a single verse in the bible that teaches the sacraments are necessary for salvation, sacraments would fall under works which do not save according to Eph 2:8-9.
It is through simple faith, Acts 16:30-31 says FAITH is what saves, Faith is something in your heart, and has nothing to do with a sacrament.
1 Cor 15:1-4 mentions nothing about sacraments saving us, the Gospel saves.
Martin Luther claimed Baptism brought forgiveness of sins, but 1 Cor 15:1-4 says the Gospel is what saves us..
And Paul said that he was sent not to baptize but to preach the Gospel. Water Baptism is not part of the Gospel.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Please be careful about accusing others of heresy.

ViaCrucis hasn’t said that baptism is necessary for salvation as some kind of legal requirement. He has mentioned it as a means that God uses to reach us, much as he uses preaching of the Word.

I would argue that the sacraments aren’t even separate from the Word. Both are mandated by Scripture. I think they’re the Word acted out, for key parts of the Gospel. Baptism seals and makes visible the regeneration which God gives us freely, without merit on our part, and Communion makes visible and applies to us Christ’s death.

It’s true that Paul baptized only a few people. But Rom 6:4 says that Christ’s atonement is applied to us via Baptism. 1 Cor 12:13 and Gal 3:27 both associate Baptism with being jointed with Christ.

This doesn’t mean that baptism is magic, nor that it’s a legal requirement so that if someone comes to faith and isn’t able to be baptized they aren’t saved. But it is a means that God normally uses.

Upvote 0

Jordan Kurecki

Sep 1, 2014
✟15,613.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Please be careful about accusing others of heresy.

ViaCrucis hasn’t said that baptism is necessary for salvation as some kind of legal requirement. He has mentioned it as a means that God uses to reach us, much as he uses preaching of the Word.

I would argue that the sacraments aren’t even separate from the Word. Both are mandated by Scripture. I think they’re the Word acted out, for key parts of the Gospel. Baptism seals and makes visible the regeneration which God gives us freely, without merit on our part, and Communion makes visible and applies to us Christ’s death.

It’s true that Paul baptized only a few people. But Rom 6:4 says that Christ’s atonement is applied to us via Baptism. 1 Cor 12:13 and Gal 3:27 both associate Baptism with being jointed with Christ.

This doesn’t mean that baptism is magic, nor that it’s a legal requirement so that if someone comes to faith and isn’t able to be baptized they aren’t saved. But it is a means that God normally uses.
1. Sacraments being a means of saving grace is a concept that is found nowhere in scripture.

2. Baptism absolutely does not seal, in fact the scripture teaches in Ephesians that we are sealed by the holy Spirit, and if you read through there are several occasion of people receiving the Holy Spirit BEFORE baptism. The bible teaches that those who have the Spirit of God are children of God, therefore you become a child of God before baptism.

3. Paul said in one of his epistles, I came not baptized, but to preach the Gospel, so obviously there is a separation between Baptism and the Gospel.

4. I will agree with you that Baptism does indeed picture the Gospel, because scripture refers to it as the "likeness of his death" in Romans 6:5

5. Romans 6:3 absolutely does not teach that Christ atonement is applied by the ordinance and rite of water baptism, the word Baptized simply means to dip or immerse, in fact the Greek Orthodox church only does Baptism by immersion as opposed to sprinkling because they understand the meaning of the word Baptizo. So it Romans 6:3 could mean and many as were immersed and dipped into Jesus Christ, this moment of us being "baptized" into Christ takes the place at the moment we place our faith in the Gospel and receive Christ by faith, Acts 16:30-31 makes no mention of Baptism, neither does John 3:16, or John 3:36, or Romans 10:9-13, nor do any other scriptures teach regeneration happens through WATER baptism. While Water Baptism identifies us with Christ as a public declaration it does not enjoin us to Christ Spiritually in any sense of atonement.

6. Ironically 1 Cor 12:13 proves exactly what I was saying about Romans 6:3, we are immersed into the Christ, by the Holy Spirit. This is something that happens the moment you are saved. Galatians 3:27 is also meaning the Spirit baptizing or immersing or placing one down into Christ.

The problem here is WATER is being assumed and placed where it does not belong, the word Baptizo does not always mean the ordinance of Baptism as we know it today. Baptism not a means of washing away sin or of applying the atonement of Christ to the sinner.

In fact there was a thief who was crucified next to Jesus who was not able to get Baptized but Jesus told him he would be with him in paradise.

Galatians 1:7-9 condemns those who would preach a false gospel, The Gospel is described it as the death burial and resurrection of Christ for our sins, no mention of Baptism, but Paul did not talk about "receiving the Gospel, by which ye are saved"

in the Gospel of Mark Jesus said Repent ye and Believe the Gospel.
Salvation is attained the moment you receive the Gospel, Romans 10 says with the heart man believes unto righteousness, salvation happens in one's heart, not in the tub of water.

YOU ARE ADDING TO THE GOSPEL AND TEACHING A FALSE GOSPEL.
I would note also the example of Abraham in Romans 4:

9Cometh this blessedness then upon the circumcision only, or upon the uncircumcision also? for we say that faith was reckoned to Abraham for righteousness. 10How was it then reckoned? when he was in circumcision, or in uncircumcision? Not in circumcision, but in uncircumcision. 11And he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had yet being uncircumcised: that he might be the father of all them that believe, though they be not circumcised; that righteousness might be imputed unto them also:

Basically here this is saying that before Abraham was given the rite of circumcision, he was righteous by his FAITH, this righteousness was not given to him through circumcision, but by his FAITH, circumcision was a symbol and testimony of the righteousness he ALREADY had BY FAITH.

We could easily change this to Baptism and Apply it to the Apostle Paul.

Cometh this blessedness upon the baptized only? or upon the unbaptized also? For we say that faith was reckoned to Paul for righteousness. How was it then reckoned? when he was baptized, or unbaptized? Not in baptism, but before baptism. and he received the sign of baptism, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had yet being unbaptized...

I would also note that the word seal as used above is being used in the sense expressing the genuineness of something.basically the circumcision was a sign and showed the approval Abraham already had with God because of his faith.

Baptism is the same way, Baptism does not provide or apply the atonement of Christ for ANYONE, Faith and Faith alone does that, and this made very clear in TONS of verses in the bible, to make Baptism a means of regeneration requires taking a small handful of text and ignoring their context and reading Baptismal Regeneration into the text. And please don't bring up ACts 2:38 because I will also dissect that verse as well and it is easy to show how that does not mean be baptized to receive forgiveness of sins.

The Scriptures are clear, you must repent of your false belief in sacraments having any sort of regenerative or atoning power, Faith alone in Christ saves, not faith plus baptism, or faith plus communion, or anything else

Acts 16:31 "believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved"

and B.T.W. Martin Luther in his own words taught that Baptism is the means whereby the atonement of Christ to individuals. And unless the Lutheran Church has changed and the Lutherans that I have met are dumb or ignorant, that's what the Lutheran Church teaches today. It's a false Gospel.

Upvote 0

Jordan Kurecki

Sep 1, 2014
✟15,613.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
"the Bible says all blessings of salvation are received through personal faith in Jesus Christ (Acts 15:8-11; 16:30-31; Eph. 2:8-10; 2 Tim. 3:15). We receive eternal life by personal faith (Jn. 3:16). We become children of God by personal faith (Jn. 1:12). We receive justification and peace with God through personal faith (Rom. 5:1). We receive the Holy Spirit by personal faith (Eph. 1:12-14). Scriptural baptism does not impart anything. It is, rather, a public testimony of one’s faith in Christ and it is a picture of the Gospel, the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ and the believer’s spiritual identification with Him in this. "

http://www.wayoflife.org/database/infant_baptism.html

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
This is heresy, and basically code word for works. There is not a single verse in the bible that teaches the sacraments are necessary for salvation, sacraments would fall under works which do not save according to Eph 2:8-9.
It is through simple faith, Acts 16:30-31 says FAITH is what saves, Faith is something in your heart, and has nothing to do with a sacrament.
1 Cor 15:1-4 mentions nothing about sacraments saving us, the Gospel saves.
Martin Luther claimed Baptism brought forgiveness of sins, but 1 Cor 15:1-4 says the Gospel is what saves us..
And Paul said that he was sent not to baptize but to preach the Gospel. Water Baptism is not part of the Gospel.

This isn't a debate board.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
While that may not be the intention of this board, it still doesn't negate the truth of what I said.

Nor does what you said become truth simply because you asserted it. Something isn't heresy simply because it doesn't agree with your personal opinions or the traditions of your denomination. To be heresy it must be in opposition to the historic teaching of the Church, specifically as laid out in the Creeds.

The heterodox position is one that rejects the meaning and significance of the Sacraments as they are taught in Scripture, confessed throughout the last two thousand years, etc. Not one that is in agreement with two thousand years of Christian teaching.

So your accusation of me teaching heresy is objectively false.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Truly1999

Jan 23, 2013
England
✟16,882.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
Hi Country Angel, welcome to the forum. There is a great battle for your soul, between the forces of good and the forces of evil. You are so precious to God that he sent his son to die on a cross, so that for all time children, men and women no longer had to do anything to gain salvation.

All you have to do is accept that the only way to gain eternal life is to accept Jesus as your Saviour and then seek to be like him in your daily life.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
1. Sacraments being a means of saving grace is a concept that is found nowhere in scripture.
Not if you reject all references to it.

A passage that I didn’t mention but maybe should have is Eph 1:13

“In him you also, when you had heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and had believed in him, were marked with the seal of the promised Holy Spirit;”

Many see the seal of the Holy Spirit as baptism. In the early Church, baptism was done with the laying on of hands and the gift of the Holy Spirit. Hence calling it the seal of the Holy Spirit would make sense. I didn’t cite it because not all commentators agree, but many do, maybe even the majority.

In fact there was a thief who was crucified next to Jesus who was not able to get Baptized but Jesus told him he would be with him in paradise.

Well, obviously baptism wasn’t practical. Remember, I said that it was a means that God uses to make the Gospel visible, and a means of grace. Not the only means of grace, and not a legalistic requirement.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

True Blu

Sep 8, 2015
✟8,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Ok. I am so confused by all the different websites I read online. So I am asking here.
1. What must I do to be saved and spend an eternity in Heaven with Jesus Christ?
2. What is saving faith?
3. How do you get or have saving faith?

Hey, hey! I have something to say! I haven't dug through all the comments yet to see what's already been said yet... But I learned something new today and I thought I'd share it since I've been asking the same question forever! (A little excited, can't you tell?)

I've been to many people with this question, "how do you know you are saved?" It's always the same unclear response, you know, a few common bible quotes, pray this prayer, and BOOM, your saved and moved on. That is an unsettling answer to a serious question! (I don't mean to bash anyone's answers, like I said, haven't read the comments. I'm sure you all are marvelous people here to help!)

I don't have a huge momentous answer, but this changed my views tremendously, since how I profess Christian while still unsure of salvation.

Today at church, (small details, you can skip everything in these parenthesis if you want: I go to a pretty small Baptist church, the band is usually just two people or so singing hymns, and the congregation is mostly old folks, but I love 'em all bunches. Hugs everyday. Just so you get an idea where I come from, I'm not from some huge mega-church where we have rockstar concerts every Sunday or anything!) my pastor was wrapping up his rather moving sermon, and he ended off saying that most people tend to think that salvation is a one-time big event, but really it's a life-time journey.

That really helped me. He was also saying that once saved always saved, because if that weren't so, then your salvation would be up to you to maintain, and every time you sinned, you would need another sacrifice to cover that sin, and over and over again. But Jesus said "it is finished," meaning exactly that, so once your His, you're always His. He paid the price once and for all.

Oh, but back to that other statement. It helped me because I was always looking for that sign that shows I am saved, kind of like a big and sudden change, but it isn't always like that! It's a learning process where God is leading you and guiding you to Him, and well, this part's still unclear to me, but somewhere along those lines, you know you are covered under the blood and you belong to God.

Really I'm just sharing a bit about something I learned along those lines. It isn't much but I thought I'd pitch in here! It really takes a load off you to know that God's got your back and you don't need to worry about keeping up with finding your salvation. I hope that helps!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear Countryangel. In Luke 10: 25-28: Jesus is asked: " Master, what must I do to have eternal life?"
Jesus answered: " You read in Matthew 22: 35-40: " The first and great Commandment is: Love God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. The second is like it: love thy neighbour as thyself." In verse 40 we are told: On these two Commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets." God is Love, and God wants loving sons and daughters. In Matthew 7: 7-10: we are told: " ask and you shall receive," ask God for Love and Joy, then thank God and share all love and joy with your neighbour. ( neighbour is all we know and all we meet, friends and not friends)
Keep asking and receiving, then thank God and share all love and joy with your neighbour. God will see your loving efforts, and God will bless you.
The Bible tells us: " Repent and be Born Again," change your selfish attitudes to loving and caring, and God will approve. When Jesus is asked in Luke: what must I do to have eternal life? Jesus reminds him: " what is asked of you in Matthew 22: 40? DO THIS AND YOU SHALL LIVE, be saved and follow me to Heaven." The Holy Spirit will help and guide you, and Jesus our Saviour will lead you all the way: JESUS IS THE WAY.
What must I do to be saved? Love God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind, AND love your neighbour as yourself. ( do unto others as you would others do unto you) I say this with love, Countryangel.
Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, it is essential.

Therefore we need to know what the born again experience is!

Do you know when the disciples received it?

Is it the same today?

Are you sure it's an "experience?" A lot of is would say that we're born from water and the Spirit when we become followers of Jesus, typically via baptism (the water part).

I would say that the point of Jesus' statement wasn't that we need to have an "experience" but that we are born from above, i.e. called and regenerated by God through the activity of the Holy Spirit. Normal life comes from a human father. Eternal life comes from God.

The Greek word means both "again" and "from above." Nicodemus misunderstands Jesus as meaning again when he actually meant from above. That's clear from the fact that our birth is from the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

ALoveDivine

Saved By Grace
Jun 25, 2010
Detroit, MI
✟11,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Repent and believe the Gospel, then go get baptised. It's pretty simple really.

To repent means to turn from your sins, to surrender to God. Look at it this way. You are a rebel, having been in rebellion against God all you're life. First, you must recognize your rebellion. Then you must give up, hoist the white flag, surrender. That is true repentance, and such a surrender will over time bear fruit in your life.

You must believe the Gospel. What is the gospel?

"Now I would remind you, brothers, of the gospel I preached to you, which you received, in which you stand, and by which you are being saved, if you hold fast to the word I preached to you—unless you believed in vain.
For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures,"
- 1 Corinthians 15:1-4

Christ died and rose again to reconcile us to God. Repent and believe this and you will be saved, after that, your first step of obedience is to be baptized if you have not been already. Repent----believe the gospel----be baptized.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.