✟37,738.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello Everyone
We all know, Christians and non-Christians that we have a soul but what is a soul?
Why do we need it?
What is the purpose of the soul?
Is the soul an actual body or not?
How is the soul influencing us?
what is the difference between soul and spirit?
May God Bless You

• Optimistic
Reactions: CoreyD

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟456,320.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi afaik, the soul has your feelings, spiritual heart (the center of your person) the bible talks how people 'thought this and that in their heart' also mind and intelligence, reasoning etc, it also makes the body function, "it gives life to the body". We are not just a body/brain like science proposes.
The spirit some say is what connects us to God.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟908,970.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello Everyone
We all know, Christians and non-Christians that we have a soul but what is a soul?
Why do we need it?
May God Bless You
Depends on ones view. Here they are :

"A triconomist is someone who believes that the human being is composed of three parts: body, soul, and spirit. A biconomist, on the other hand, believes that the human being is composed of two parts: body and soul."

Jury is out for me at the moment.

Blessings.

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟177,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
The soul is basically the thing that gives you breath. Different than the Spirit as the Spirit is the supernatural part of you and the thing that makes your earthly body alive.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟908,970.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello Everyone
Why do we need it?
May God Bless You
This is helpful. Jewish Encyclopedia

• Soul: The Hebrew word for soul is "nephesh" (נפש), which can be translated as "life," "breath," or "being." The soul is the animating principle of the human being, and it is what gives us life. It is also the part of us that survives death and goes on to eternal life.
  • Spirit: The Hebrew word for spirit is "ruach" (רוח), which can be translated as "wind," "breath," or "spirit." The spirit is the part of us that is in union with God. It is the part of us that allows us to experience God's presence and to connect with him.

Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟85,931.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello Everyone
Why do we need it?
May God Bless You

What is the human soul?​

renderTimingPixel.png

The Hebrew word "nephesh" (soul) and the Greek words "phyches" (soul) and "pneumatos" (spirit) and the English word 'soul" are polysemantic. For the sake of disambiguity and argumentation, here, I define soul more precisely as the faculties of conscience, volition, intellect, emotion, memory, and DNA information. This definition is based on Watchman Nee's The Spiritual Man. It somewhat corresponds to functions of the frontal lobe.
Let me compare a human to a computer/robot. The body is analogous to the physical hardware. The soul is the software code plus the data. The non-physical spirit provides the electricity supply.
English Revised Version, Genesis 2:
7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground,
i.e., the hardware
and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life;
i.e., animation power
and man became a living soul.
When the breath of life contacted the body, Adam's soul was formed and he became conscious. His soul grew gradually in terms of functions and subroutines and memories on a daily basis. The programs/codes/neural networks in your brain change and develop dynamically based on your experiences/inputs. Your soul uniquely identifies you. It is your personality.
The human soul + the human spirit = the inner man
Berean Literal Bible Ephesians 3:
16 that He might give you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power by His Spirit in the inner man
What happens when the human spirit departs?
Acts 7:
59 While they were stoning him, Stephen prayed, “Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.” 60 Then he fell on his knees and cried out, “Lord, do not hold this sin against them.” When he had said this, he fell asleep.
When Stephen's spirit left his body, it went to Jesus' care. His soul was deactivated and his body died. His soul was zipped up and stored or saved (pardon the computer pun) at home with the Lord, 2 Corinthians 5:
8 We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord.
Job 14:
12 so he lies down and does not rise; till the heavens are no more, people will not awake or be roused from their sleep.
The soul has a definite temporal beginning. Its animation life (consciousness) depends on the breath of God. It develops from its experience. Its life can be suspended. Without the breath of God, it becomes unconscious, until the last day, John 6:
40 For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.
On the last day, your body will be reconstructed based on your stored soul data/information.

• Winner
Reactions: CoreyD
Upvote 0

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟24,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

What is the human soul?​

renderTimingPixel.png

The Hebrew word "nephesh" (soul) and the Greek words "phyches" (soul) and "pneumatos" (spirit) and the English word 'soul" are polysemantic. For the sake of disambiguity and argumentation, here, I define soul more precisely as the faculties of conscience, volition, intellect, emotion, memory, and DNA information. This definition is based on Watchman Nee's The Spiritual Man. It somewhat corresponds to functions of the frontal lobe.
Let me compare a human to a computer/robot. The body is analogous to the physical hardware. The soul is the software code plus the data. The non-physical spirit provides the electricity supply.
English Revised Version, Genesis 2:

i.e., the hardware

i.e., animation power

When the breath of life contacted the body, Adam's soul was formed and he became conscious. His soul grew gradually in terms of functions and subroutines and memories on a daily basis. The programs/codes/neural networks in your brain change and develop dynamically based on your experiences/inputs. Your soul uniquely identifies you. It is your personality.
The human soul + the human spirit = the inner man
Berean Literal Bible Ephesians 3:

What happens when the human spirit departs?
Acts 7:

When Stephen's spirit left his body, it went to Jesus' care. His soul was deactivated and his body died. His soul was zipped up and stored or saved (pardon the computer pun) at home with the Lord, 2 Corinthians 5:

Job 14:

The soul has a definite temporal beginning. Its animation life (consciousness) depends on the breath of God. It develops from its experience. Its life can be suspended. Without the breath of God, it becomes unconscious, until the last day, John 6:

On the last day, your body will be reconstructed based on your stored soul data/information.
Excellent!
I was about to start a discussion on the soul, when I saw this.
You nailed it!
judges-10.gif

I love this so much! Can I borrow it - that is, can I link this to death :D?

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟217,332.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Not sure I know the difference. There is this though. Paul prayed that our whole spirit soul and body be preseved unto the coming of the Lord. I have a hard time accepting that spirit and soul are the same for why wouldn't Paul just stay with the one.....I pray that your whole sprit and body.

Here's something else. In Prov 3: 5 it states, "We trust in the Lord with all of your hearts and we lean not to our own understanding" Could the understanding or the natural way we view the world be the soul, or it would go this way.....You are a spirit that's what you are.....you have a soul or mental capacity which is tied to the natural man and we live in a physical body. Further evidence....it seems to say our souls are saved in the process of sanctification......BUT....we know our Spirits are saved when we receive Christ. So what's it talking about? Perhaps as we renew our minds (our soul) with the word of God even our mind develops into the peace God wants us to have.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟284,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It depends on who you ask but it seems to me that the "soul' is a spiritual entity, spirit being a non physical substance.

My soul is the essence of who I am, my individuality.
My spirit is what gives substance and life to my soul.

Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟619,624.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 17, 2016
macon ga.
✟17,239.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello Everyone
Why do we need it?
May God Bless You
Genesis 2:7 clearly teaches us that God took dust from the ground and formed a flesh and blood human body, then God blew the breath/spirit of life into the flesh and blood human body and the flesh and blood human body became a living soul or living person. So no, there are some of us, who believe the scriptures, that teach, human beings are living souls or living persons, and not that human being have, living souls or living persons in their flesh and blood human bodies.

Upvote 0

A servant of the Kings

Dec 28, 2023
Gotland
✟1,417.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi beloved sister,

I must protest against some of the answers you have received so far in this thread, we are light in the Lord:

8 For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light

To know we are light in the Lord we must see with the eye that can see the light of God, it is the lamp of the body:

21For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. 22The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eyes are good, your whole body will be full of light. 23But if your eyes are bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light within you is darkness, how great is that darkness!…

It is very dangerous to follow the blind:

14Disregard them! They are blind guides. If a blind man leads a blind man, both will fall into a pit.

That is the pit of fire, as Jesus has told me it is.

If you wish I will ask for the guidance of Jesus about your, questions, I would be happy to serve, your questions are very good:

7Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and the door will be opened to you. 8For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.…

I would be happy to serve

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟107,344.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi beloved sister,

I must protest against some of the answers you have received so far in this thread, we are light in the Lord:

8 For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light

To know we are light in the Lord we must see with the eye that can see the light of God, it is the lamp of the body:

21For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. 22The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eyes are good, your whole body will be full of light. 23But if your eyes are bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light within you is darkness, how great is that darkness!…

It is very dangerous to follow the blind:

14Disregard them! They are blind guides. If a blind man leads a blind man, both will fall into a pit.

That is the pit of fire, as Jesus has told me it is.

If you wish I will ask for the guidance of Jesus about your, questions, I would be happy to serve, your questions are very good:

7Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and the door will be opened to you. 8For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.…

I would be happy to serve
you said quote: That is the pit of fire, as Jesus has told me it is.

the scrip makes no mention of a "pit of fire" ... the bottomless pit and the lake of fire are not one and the same ...

you have added/subtracted to the book ... here a warning ⚠ Revelation 22:18-19

Upvote 0

A servant of the Kings

Dec 28, 2023
Gotland
✟1,417.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well the lake of fire kind of looks like a pit, it is kind of round, like some lakes on earth also are, and like a pit usually is, if it is the same as the bottomless pit you are referring to I do not know, here you may read about the lake of fire described as a pit:

"Topheth has long been prepared; it has been made ready for the king. Its fire pit has been made deep and wide, with an abundance of fire and wood; the breath of the LORD, like a stream of burning sulfur, sets it ablaze."

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟107,344.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well the lake of fire kind of looks like a pit, it is kind of round, like some lakes on earth also are, and like a pit usually is, if it is the same as the bottomless pit you are referring to I do not know, here you may read about the lake of fire described as a pit:

"Topheth has long been prepared; it has been made ready for the king. Its fire pit has been made deep and wide, with an abundance of fire and wood; the breath of the LORD, like a stream of burning sulfur, sets it ablaze."
the word in your provided verse is medurah which translates "pile of fire" and so not aplicable to the word shuchah which translates to pit

the bottomless/deep pit and the lake of fire speak to the two deaths/baptisms

the fisrt death in picture as to what this pit is

The mouth of an adulteress/harlot/immoral woman is a deep pit; he who is under the wrath of the LORD will fall into it. ( mystrey Babylon we are called out of ... you should know the verses }

the second death in picture to what the first is and the second in relation to it

Then Death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death—the lake of fire.

For also, our God is a consuming fire.

Upvote 0

A servant of the Kings

Dec 28, 2023
Gotland
✟1,417.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It is very dangerous for you if you are consciously lying about what is written, for your own sake, it is not advisable, below are two other translations where it become obvious that the Lord has made it deep and large, and that that pit is for a fire.

That said I am not sure that we are in disagreement, Jesus told me that the blind leading the blind will lead them all into the pit of fire.

It may also be the bottomless pit you are referring to. I certainly did not see the bottom of the lake of fire when I saw it from above. Below are two more translations:

About baptism you are wrong, there are three baptisms, the baptism in water, the baptism in spirit, and the baptism in fire, but that fire is the white fire of Father, it is His white light, that baptism is performed in the second heaven by God himself.

The true second baptism will lead us to heaven, and if we are trusted and get past the angels guarding the higher heavens, and if it is the wish of Father He may baptize us in His white fire

The lake of fire is a totally different thing, that fire is not white, it is as I remember it red, yellow and orange.

Here below are two more translations of the bible quotes mentioned above:

For Topheth has long been prepared; it has been made ready for the king. Its funeral pyre is deep and wide, with plenty of fire and wood. The breath of the LORD, like a torrent of burning sulfur, sets it ablaze.

For a Topheth is prepared of old; yea, for the king it is made ready; he hath made it deep and large; the pile thereof is fire and much wood; the breath of Jehovah, like a stream of brimstone, doth kindle it.

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟107,344.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is very dangerous for you if you are consciously lying about what is written, for your own sake, it is not advisable, below are two other translations where it become obvious that the Lord has made it deep and large, and that that pit is for a fire.

That said I am not sure that we are in disagreement, Jesus told me that the blind leading the blind will lead them all into the pit of fire.

It may also be the bottomless pit you are referring to. I certainly did not see the bottom of the lake of fire when I saw it from above. Below are two more translations:

About baptism you are wrong, there are three baptisms, the baptism in water, the baptism in spirit, and the baptism in fire, but that fire is the white fire of Father, it is His white light, that baptism is performed in the second heaven by God himself.

The true second baptism will lead us to heaven, and if we are trusted and get past the angels guarding the higher heavens, and if it is the wish of Father He may baptize us in His white fire

The lake of fire is a totally different thing, that fire is not white, it is as I remember it red, yellow and orange.

Here below are two more translations of the bible quotes mentioned above:

For Topheth has long been prepared; it has been made ready for the king. Its funeral pyre is deep and wide, with plenty of fire and wood. The breath of the LORD, like a torrent of burning sulfur, sets it ablaze.

For a Topheth is prepared of old; yea, for the king it is made ready; he hath made it deep and large; the pile thereof is fire and much wood; the breath of Jehovah, like a stream of brimstone, doth kindle it.

the words in the verses you provide pyre and pile as in a heap and a heap is not a pit...

the scrip makes no mention of a third baptism ...

Upvote 0