Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hello. What is required to join an LCMS or WELS church as an adult member? I know a person would need to be baptized at some point in his or her life, and I'm sure he or she would have to be a confessing Christian who believes in the essentials of the faith, like the Creeds. But what else is required?

A Lutheran in the LCMS once told me that in order to become a member, a person must accept everything in the Small Catechism. Another Lutheran told me that's not correct, however.

Just to be clear, we're talking about church membership only, not becoming a pastor/bishop or anything like that.

Thank you in advance!

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟403,321.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Hello!

I should first of all say that, as with any church, everyone is welcome! To become a member of a local confessional Lutheran church such as the LCMS and WELS, and to be able to receive God's gift of the Eucharist, there is a process because we want to be able to believe and confess the same faith in Christ with a clear conscience. This involves catechesis and Baptism in accordance with the words of our Lord, who has instructed us to baptise and teach in His name.

So, how does this work out? It depends on people's background, so the first step is to speak with the Pastor of the local congregation. Let me give you a few scenarios:

If the person is a Christian but not baptised, he would need to be catechised and baptised. If the person is a Christian convert and is baptised in a non-trinitarian religion (Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons, Oneness Pentecostal, Unitarian etc.), again, he would need to be catechised and baptised. If he is Christian and baptised in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, the Pastor may take a view on his understanding of the Christian faith. If the Pastor finds that he has a good understanding of God's Word, he may not need full-on catechesis, but a summary and a confirmation may be appropriate. This is common with people who are members of different denominations but have studied Lutheran doctrine and finally wish to become a member of a Lutheran church. Or if a Pastor finds that a baptised Christian could benefit from catechesis, then again, catechesis would be appropriate. This is often the case with Christians from other denominations who are interested in the Lutheran church, but may have questions or confusion about some parts of God's Word.

This is all to say that catechesis and Baptism are not mechanical things and our goal is not to achieve a mere outward membership. Rather, we recognise that people come from a variety of backgrounds and have different needs, and those needs must be met appropriately. So we welcome new members with joy but also with the reverence that it deserves. In short, we recognise that church membership should echo Mark 16:16: Whoever believes and is baptised will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned. So faith and Baptism in accordance with God's Word are what we wish to bestow on all members, by the grace of God.

God bless!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟748,024.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I've been moving in Reformed and Baptistic circles for almost 25 years but made the move to Lutheran (LCMS) the beginning of Lent this year 2023. To take part in Communion I had to watch a lesson that explained and stressed the True Body and Blood of our Lord Jesus Christ. You must be able to discern the Body and Blood before partaking. Now that I'm seriously considering becoming a member I'm finishing the rest of the lessons in the catechism class. At the end of the classes I'll decide if I want to be a member or hold off. I'm not sure if I need to be confirmed but I have been readily accepted as a fellow believer holding to the (small F) fundamentals of the faith.

Yours in the Lord,

jm
PS: this is the course I'm working through.
20231002_112820.jpg

Attachments

• 20231002_112824.jpg
    20231002_112824.jpg
    358.5 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: Daniel9v9
Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟157,138.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I've been moving in Reformed and Baptistic circles for almost 25 years but made the move to Lutheran (LCMS) the beginning of Lent this year 2023. To take part in Communion I had to watch a lesson that explained and stressed the True Body and Blood of our Lord Jesus Christ. You must be able to discern the Body and Blood before partaking. Now that I'm seriously considering becoming a member I'm finishing the rest of the lessons in the catechism class. At the end of the classes I'll decide if I want to be a member or hold off. I'm not sure if I need to be confirmed but I have been readily accepted as a fellow believer holding to the (small F) fundamentals of the faith.

Yours in the Lord,

jm
PS: this is the course I'm working through. View attachment 337098
We don’t have Confirmation at my church anymore.

• Wow
Reactions: JM
Upvote 0