Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Can someone please explain to me what dispensationalism is? :confused:

A good question, it is a person who

1. Employs a consistent literal hermeneutic
2. Maintains a distinction between Israel and the Church
3. Recognizes that the chief activity in which God is engaged is glorifying Himself.

If you practice these, you are a dispensationalist.

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

3. Recognizes that the chief activity in which God is engaged is glorifying Himself.

Ok, I guess I am probably a dispensationalist then. Though I admit, I am not sure what you mean by #1. Could you explain that please? :confused:

Upvote 0

Terral

Sep 5, 2004
Visit site
✟21,357.00
Faith
Christian
Hi PaladinGirl:

Can someone please explain to me what dispensationalism is?

The best way to learn about Dispensationalism is to plug the keyword into the Google search engine, or to consult the Wiki Online Encyclopedia, as professing Dispy’s have many different sects and definitions of things. :0) I am a ‘Dispy’ according to the dictionary definition, but not according to the manmade interpretations invented by many calling themselves Dispensationalists. I was trained under a congregation of professing “Scofield KJV Only” Dispensationalists back in the 1980s, but have since outgrown them to realize many of their attempts to ‘rightly divide’ (2Tim. 2:15 is a favorite of many professing Dispy’s) the Word of Truth broke the rules of interpreting God’s Living Word. Therefore, while my teaching here includes identifying the many different ‘dispensations’ (Vine’s definition), there is no Dispy sect on earth that holds to my interpretations. That being said, I do recognize many professing Dispy’s as my brothers and sisters IN Christ Jesus, even if we shall continue to disagree over the way Scripture is to be ‘rightly divided.’ Let’s consult Wiki to establish a basis for understanding what many consider to be Dispensationalism:

Wiki = Dispensationalism

Dispensationalism is a Christian theological view of history and Biblical interpretation that became popular during the 1800s and early 1900s and is held today by many conservative Protestants. It supplies an interpretive grid for understanding the flow of the Bible as a whole, and it is frequently contrasted with opposing views such as Covenant Theology, where the fundamental difference is the relationship between the nations of Israel and Judah on the one hand and the Christian church on the other.
Some folks consider Dispensationalism to be a stand alone ‘denomination’ ("
There is no way to make a few "Dispensational denominations" . . .) while others hold the opposing notion this is only a ‘theological view’ and means of interpreting Scripture. Many Roman Catholic, Greek Orthodox and particularly Baptists hold some hostility to professing “Dispys,” because many of their members leave those denominations to assume positions in pews beside other professing Dispy’s in what they describe as nondenominational churches. One of the best professing Dispy’s to highlight the differences between our Mystery Body of Christ (Church #1 here) and the Prophetic Kingdom Bride is Cornelius Stam in his book entitled “Things That Differ” (link). I have handed out this book to more professing Christians around the world than all the others combined, even if Stam continued to be off on many things up to his death. Stam begins with “The Principles And Dispensations Of God” to begin chapter 1 here, if you want a bird’s eye view from one of the most famous professing Dispy’s anywhere. Wiki continues,

Dispensationalism advocates a form of premillennialism (link) in which it sees the past, present, and future as a number of successive administrations, or "dispensations" (Eph 3:2, KJV), each of which emphasizes aspects of the covenants between God and various peoples at various times. Consequently, it places a heavy emphasis on prophecy and eschatology, the study of the "end times."
This “Premillennial” interpretation of Scripture is held by most professing Dispy’s I know, but this single error in their dogma represents just one reason I cannot EVER (in a million years) be numbered among them. Their Premillennial interpretation says,

Wiki = Premillennialism

Premillennialism in Christian eschatology is the belief that Christ will literally reign on the earth for 1,000 years at his second coming. The doctrine is called premillennialism because it views the current age as prior to Christ’s kingdom. It is distinct from the other forms of Christian eschatology such as amillennialism or postmillennialism, which view the millennial rule as either figurative and non-temporal, or as occurring prior to the second coming. Premillennialism is largely based upon a literal interpretation of Revelation 20:1-6 in the New Testament which describes Christ’s coming to the earth and subsequent reign at the end of an apocalyptic period of tribulation. It views this future age as a time of fulfillment for the prophetic hope of God’s people as given in the Old Testament.
Christ proclaims very boldly that “My Kingdom is NOT of this world” or even of “this realm”! John 18:36. Paul affirms that the believers in our gospel have ‘citizenship IN HEAVEN’ (Phil 3:20) and a place in “His HEAVENLY Kingdom.” 2Tim. 4:18 (my thread = The Lord's Throne is HEAVEN). Jesus Christ says that Elijah will come first and restore all things (Matt. 17:10-11) as the “prophet” of Acts 3:19-26, but professing Dispy’s call our Lord a LIAR and misinterpret a few words (Matt 17:12-13) to eliminate Elijah from the equation entirely. Most professing Dispy’s fail to realize the Great Tribulation (Matt. 24:21, Rev. 7:14-16) is still 1000 Years IN THE FUTURE (diagram = in dark blue) and that the 1000 Year Day of the Lord is only about to ‘begin’ (diagram). :0) Jesus Christ has just ‘one’ literal glorious return (Matt. 24:30-31) AND Paul teaches that ‘we’ shall be revealed WITH HIM.

“Therefore if you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth. For you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is our life, is revealed [Matt 24:30-31], then you also will be revealed with Him IN GLORY.” Colossians 3:1-4.
Professing Dispy’s think Christ is returning to ‘start’ a temporary 1000 Year earthly reign, because they fail to realize Satan is chained (Rev. 20:2) way back in Revelation 1:10 with the ‘trumpet’ sounding off behind John with ‘our’ Rapture (1Cor. 15:51-53, 1Thes. 4:16-17) AND that we rule WITH CHRIST in heaven throughout the entire 1000 Year Day of the Lord (another diagram). Why should Paul tell us to keep our eyes fixed on things above where Christ is at the right hand of God and NOT on things of this earth, IF we are to rule from mere earthly thrones for the 1000 years? :0) My point is that you will find many professing Dispy’s holding to many different interpretations, because as a sect/denomination of Christianity they are in love with ‘dividing’ things correctly and very much incorrectly (like everyone else). :0) All of that being said, again, over three decades of debating professing Christians on all these Bible Topics find the professing Dispy’s to stand head and shoulders above practically all the other denominations willing to simply toss everything into a single pot for their ‘one gospel’ and their ‘one church’ misinterpretations of God’s Living Word IMHO. That is the reason over 90 percent of my CF posts are drafted for this Dispensationalism Forum for my brothers and sisters IN Christ Jesus and the reason I sometimes find myself defending them against attacks from members of other denominations, even if we shall continue to air out our differences in these Dispensationalism Debates.

God bless you and thank you for the opportunity to explain what Dispensationalism means to this member of Christ’s Body,

In Christ Jesus,

Terral

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jerrysch

Senior Veteran
Apr 13, 2005
✟4,104.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ok, I guess I am probably a dispensationalist then. Though I admit, I am not sure what you mean by #1. Could you explain that please? :confused:

Sure, by the way when I discovered that I too am a dispensationalist... I wasn't happy, I thought they were all old with long beards with dust upon them... well I was wrong! But having said that... I never set out to be one, I did not wake up one morning and say, "I thin I will become a .... dispensationalist today, after coffee, that is". (an attempt at humor).

A consistent literal hermeneutic means that ones understanding of any passage does not waver from the literal without valid grounds. For instance in Mt 1:1 The record of the genealogy of Jesus the Messiah, the son of David, the son of Abraham:

A literal understanding indicates that this verse is speaking of Jesus, who is the Messiah...

Some have suggested that dispies engage in "wooden literalism" yet this is not the case, in that a dispy does recognize that the Bible does employ figures of speech, a classic is to be found here: Joh 10:7 So Jesus said to them again, "Truly, truly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep.

Here Jesus refers to himself as a door, the dispy recognizes this to be a figure of speak, not a suggestion that somehow Jesus has become a plank of wood to plug a hole in a wall.

There is more, we can speak at greater length if you like. :)

Upvote 0

Dispy

Veteran
Jan 16, 2004
South Dakota
✟4,680.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Can someone please explain to me what dispensationalism is? :confused:

I'm pretty much in agreement with what Jerrysch posted.

The word "dispensation" comes from the Greek word "oikonomia" -oy-kon-om-ee'-ah. From G3623; administration (of a household or estate); specifically a (religious) “economy”: - dispensation, stewardship.

Not being a Greek scholar, I've been told that our english word "dispensary" is also derived from this word.

In Biblical time a rich land holder would have one overseer to see that his command were adhered to. He would be the enforcer of the "house laws." Those house laws could change from time to time. Therefore, we can derive that there can be changes in the house laws (dispensation) from time to time.

We know that God never changes. He is the same today as He was Yesterday, and will still be the same tomarrow. However, the way that God has dealt with man has changed over time. God dealt differently with Adam and Eve before the fall then after the fall. Nowhere do we find that God required Adam and Eve to offer sacrifices as He did with Cain and Able. Noah was required to preach and build an Ark. Abram was told to look in the heavens and count the stary. Abraham was required to offer his son Isaac. Moses was given the Law for instructions in righteousness for the children of Israel. So just from what I just wrote, one should be able to see that the "house laws" (dispensations) have changed, but the atributes of God never changed.

Many say that dispensationalism began in the 1800's. However, I find that Paul speaks of 3 dispensations in Ephesians 2. He speaks of TIMES PAST in vss. 11, 12. BUT NOW in vs. 13, and AGES TO COME in vs. 7.

There are three major groups of dispensationialists - Acts 2, Acts9/mid-Acts, and Acts 28:28.

The main points of Act 2 dispies are, but not exclusive, that the Church, the Body of Christ, began at Pentecost, and and water baptism is still a requirement. However, they cannot all agree on as to WHEN, WHY, or HOW it is to be administered. Also they partake of the Lord's Supper.

The Acts 9/mid-Acts dispies (which I profess to be) believe that the Church, the Body of Christ, began after the conversion of Saul/Paul with the ushering in this present dispensation of Grace, and the formation of "the one new man" (a new creation), now known as "the Body of Christ," Jew and Gentile on equal footing, without distinction, and not under the Law. That this dispensation is a "(parenthetical)" period within the dispensation of the Law. Also this group does partake of the Lord's Supper, but not as an ordinance, and do not believe that water baptism is for this dispensation. Also, they believe that the Tribulation began in Acts 2:16-20, as opposed to the Church, the Body of Christ, beginning there.

The Acts 28:28 dispies believe the Church, the Body of Christ, began after Paul was given the full knowledge of the mystery while in prison in Rome. Therefore they believe only Paul's prision Epistles are for the Church, the Body of Christ. They do not partake of the Lords Supper, or believe that water baptism is for this present dispensation of Grace.

Hope this is helpful.

Upvote 0

MrPibb000

Nov 4, 2005
Idaho
✟15,522.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi,

I am trying to get a grip on dispensationalism and was reading through this thread.

Why do you include #3 as a distinctive for dispensationalism?

Upvote 0

MrPibb000

Nov 4, 2005
Idaho
✟15,522.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I too would call myself a dispensationalist, but don't know what exactly others would consider that to mean so I am researching to see what is out there.

I like you analogy of the house laws. I also like that you emphasize that
We know that God never changes. He is the same today as He was Yesterday, and will still be the same tomarrow.
, as any definition could be misconstrued that way.

I have not seen that separation of different dispensational views based on Acts.

I personally would have think that the "law" or house rules changed at Pentecost (Feast of weeks in the old testament, a celebration of the giving of the law). The Pentecost in Acts is where the "law" was written on our hearts through the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

Where do the distinctions between recognizing baptism and/or the Lords supper come from in relation to dispsentations? I personally think both are good things to do but not a requirement for salvation or even spiritual growth.

Where does that put me in the three major groups?

Upvote 0

Dispy

Veteran
Jan 16, 2004
South Dakota
✟4,680.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I too would call myself a dispensationalist, but don't know what exactly others would consider that to mean so I am researching to see what is out there.

I like you analogy of the house laws. I also like that you emphasize that , as any definition could be misconstrued that way.

I have not seen that separation of different dispensational views based on Acts.

I personally would have think that the "law" or house rules changed at Pentecost (Feast of weeks in the old testament, a celebration of the giving of the law). The Pentecost in Acts is where the "law" was written on our hearts through the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

Where do the distinctions between recognizing baptism and/or the Lords supper come from in relation to dispsentations? I personally think both are good things to do but not a requirement for salvation or even spiritual growth.

Where does that put me in the three major groups?

Sorry to have taken so long to respond. I have been down in Missouri for a Bible conference, and had too many things to do yesterday to spend any time on my computer.

When I study the book of the Acts I see a dispensational change from the dispensation of the Law to the dispensation of Grace.

The majority view is that the dispensation of Grace (Church age) began at Pentecost. However, I fail to see that. I see Pentecost as a fulfillment of OT prophecy to Israel. Peter is quoting Joel 2:28-32 in Acts 2:16-20. Joel isn't prophesing concerning Pentecost, but is speaking of Daniel 9, the Tribulation. Peter is saying that the things that are happening are the signs of the beginning of the Tribulation.

The Church, the Body of Christ, consists of Jew and Gentile one equal footing, without distinction, and not under the Law. There was no such church at Pentecost. Peter was addressing Jews and proselytes who came to Jerusalem to celebrate the feast of the Passover. Peter knew exactly where he was in the timetable of prophecy because prior to Jesus returning to heaven, He opened the understanding of the Scriptures (OT) to His disciples. Further, at Pentecost, Peter, and the 11, were speaking "...as the Spirit gave them utterance" (Acts 2:4).

As we begin studying the book of Acts, we find that God was still dealing with Israel as His favorite people, and the Law was still in effect. Peter is the main character, and the disciples are carrying out the "so called" great commission, and are still preaching "the gospel of the kingdom". We still find them going to the Jews only, as according to Act 1:8, the order of the commission to to Jerusalem first, then Judeah, then Samaria, and then to the utter most parts of the earth. Even in Acts 11:19 we find the apostles still going to the Jews only.

It is in Acts 7 that we find that the leaders of Israel stoned Stephen who was filled with the Holy Ghost. Israel, as a nation, had previously rejected God the Father, as Paul says in Romans 10:3, that they went about trying to establish their own righteousness. Then then rejected God the Son when they demanded that Jesus be crucified. So, with Israel's rejection of the Trinity, God raised up Saul/Paul, in Acts 9, to usher in this present dispensation of Grace. Then in Acts 10 God gave Peter the vision that he was no longer to consider ones of another nation (Gentiles) no longer common or unclean (cf. vs. 28). Prior to that time there was still a "middle wall of partition" between the Jew and Gentile.

When God gave Peter that vision, He was not telling Peter that the Gentiles were not be elevated to Israel's position as God's special people, but he was telling Peter that the Jews, because of their rejection of the Trinity, were not in the same "set aside boat" that He had placed the Gentiles in back at the Tower of Babel, in Genesis 11.

When we get to Acts 15, the coucil at Jerusalem, we find that James, Cephes (Peter), and John giving the righthand of fellowship to Paul and Barnabas. They they (Paul and Barnabas) should go to the heathen (Gentiles), and that they would stay with the circumcision (Jews). After Acts 15 we no longer find the 12 going to all the world, as their commission demanded. They stayed with those who were saved under the preaching of "the gospel of the kingdom" (gospel of circumcision), and scattered due to the presecussion. After that meeting at Jerusalem the disciples learned that the "so called" great commission could not be carried out as originally stated.

After that meeting in Jerusalem we find Paul preaching "...Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began." It is what we call "the Gospel of the Grace of God." From Acts 15 to the rest of the book of Acts we find that Paul is the main character, and "the gospel of the kingdom no longer being preached, and the Law no longer in effect.

Yes, I do see a dispensation change in the book of the Acts.

Upvote 0

youdahman

Jul 20, 2006
✟7,841.00
Faith
SDA
it is a false doctrine that is currently being used as an excuse for the illegal occupation of the palestinian state, against international Law. Its a self-fulfilling prophecy so that a Jewish State can be established so that the Jews will be saved as a nation and harbor in a 1000 years of peace with Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

A Brother In Christ

Senior Veteran
Mar 30, 2005
Royal city, washington
✟5,985.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

dispensationalism is God teaching man about man

Upvote 0

Charis kai Dunamis

χάρις καὶ δύναμις
Dec 4, 2006
Chicago, Illinois
✟12,654.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Dispensationalism leads to many of the beliefs that have been spoken of, but it is not necessarily defined by them.

Specifically, dispensationalists see time periods where God dealt differently with different groups of people. We call these "economies", or "stewardships", or more appropriately - "dispensations". The reason we say we disagree with all other types of theology (specifically, covenant theology) is that we assert that one is always saved by faith, but the object of that faith changes with each economy. While we are currently in the dispensation of grace, where one must place faith in Jesus Christ, it is absurd to think that Abraham was also saved by faith in Jesus Christ - when Jesus Christ wasn't to come to earth until much later. Even more absurd is the belief that the average Jew under the Mosaic law understood the promise of the Messiah, and placed their faith in Him. While Covenant theologians must eventually concede that all people since the beginning of creation were/are saved only by belief in Jesus Christ (since they believe Israel and the Church are one and the same, and the Church are those in the body of Christ), we dispensationalists disagree and see the Israel and the Church as two distinct entities, since we employ a literal hermeneutic, not one based on typology and symbolism.

Further, dispensationalism is the only system of theology which incorporated eschatology into itself at its developing stages, not as an afterthought like covenant theology. Proof of this is the in-depth analysis of eschatology given by dispensationalists (ex. John Walvoord, Charles Ryrie, J. Dwight Pentecost, etc.). Point-by-point analysis of eschatology is offered by most of the major proponents of dispensationalism, while other views seem to be lacking in sufficient evidence, including irreconcilable contradictions that have yet to be answered. This is done by interpretting prophecy with the same, consistent literal hermeneutic unless the context warrants otherwise.

In my opinion, dispensationlism offers a greater understanding of the Scriptures and is the most complete system of theology to date.

Upvote 0

Charis kai Dunamis

χάρις καὶ δύναμις
Dec 4, 2006
Chicago, Illinois
✟12,654.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Christ proclaims very boldly that “My Kingdom is NOT of this world” or even of “this realm”! John 18:36.

"World" being gr. "kosmos", "realm" being gr. "enteuthen".

I hope this isn't your best proof text for such a belief - the greek denotes that Christ's kingdom wasn't for that generation. Kosmos can very well have the idea of a "time period", the world "at that time", "goverment", "order", etc. Even if it does mean "world" or "universe", does Jesus necessarily speak of His millennial kingdom? Does He not also have power and authority and omnipotence in heaven?

Paul affirms that the believers in our gospel have ‘citizenship IN HEAVEN’ (Phil 3:20) and a place in “His HEAVENLY Kingdom.” http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2Tim 4:18;&version=49;

Yes, we do.

Jhn 14:2 "In My Father's house are many dwelling places; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you.
Jhn 14:3 "If I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself, that where I am, {there} you may be also.

2Tim. 4:18
(my thread = The Lord's Throne is HEAVEN).

Very true. We have Jesus called YHWH in Isaiah 6 (John 12:41). How this proves that Jesus' does not have an earthly kingdom, I don't know.

Jesus Christ says that Elijah will come first and restore all things (Matt. 17:10-11) as the “prophet” of Acts 3:19-26, but professing Dispy’s call our Lord a LIAR and misinterpret a few words (Matt 17:12-13) to eliminate Elijah from the equation entirely.

How do we misinterpret???

Mat 17:13 Then the disciples understood that He had spoken to them about John the Baptist.

Where is Elijah in Acts 3? Certainly you don't mean v. 26?

Most professing Dispy’s fail to realize the Great Tribulation (Matt. 24:21, Rev. 7:14-16) is still 1000 Years IN THE FUTURE (diagram = in dark blue) and that the 1000 Year Day of the Lord is only about to ‘begin’ (diagram). :0) Jesus Christ has just ‘one’ literal glorious return (Matt. 24:30-31) AND Paul teaches that ‘we’ shall be revealed WITH HIM.

Tell me how this reconciles with Daniel's vision-

Dan 2:35 "Then the iron, the clay, the bronze, the silver and the gold were crushed all at the same time and became like chaff from the summer threshing floors; and the wind carried them away so that not a trace of them was found. But the stone that struck the statue became a great mountain and filled the whole earth.

How that doesn't fit with this, I do not know-

Rev 20:4 Then I saw thrones, and they sat on them, and judgment was given to them. And I {saw} the souls of those who had been beheaded because of their testimony of Jesus and because of the word of God, and those who had not worshiped the beast or his image, and had not received the mark on their forehead and on their hand; and they came to life and reigned with Christ for a thousand years.

Rev 20:7 When the thousand years are completed, Satan will be released from his prison,

Further, why is Israel blessed during the millennial kingdom when they haven't turned to Christ yet? The picture you have is entirely backwards; the Jews must first repent during the trib, then receive the kingdom.

Further, you have the idea of the "the day of the Lord" mixed up - it is based on the Jewish concept of one day - first evening and then morning (lit. chaos/order, see Gen. 1). Thus the tribulation is chaos, and the millennium is order, making one day.

Professing Dispy’s think Christ is returning to ‘start’ a temporary 1000 Year earthly reign, because they fail to realize Satan is chained (Rev. 20:2) way back in Revelation 1:10 with the ‘trumpet’ sounding off behind John with ‘our’ Rapture (1Cor. 15:51-53, 1Thes. 4:16-17) AND that we rule WITH CHRIST in heaven throughout the entire 1000 Year Day of the Lord (another diagram).

Why should Paul tell us to keep our eyes fixed on things above where Christ is at the right hand of God and NOT on things of this earth, IF we are to rule from mere earthly thrones for the 1000 years?

Because Christ is in heaven now... Not on earth...

It seems like you sure read into a lot of passages.

Upvote 0

winsome

English, not British
Dec 15, 2005
England
✟19,011.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm pretty much in agreement with what Jerrysch posted.

The word "dispensation" comes from the Greek word "oikonomia" -oy-kon-om-ee'-ah. From G3623; administration (of a household or estate); specifically a (religious) “economy”: - dispensation, stewardship.

Not being a Greek scholar, I've been told that our english word "dispensary" is also derived from this word.

In Biblical time a rich land holder would have one overseer to see that his command were adhered to. He would be the enforcer of the "house laws." Those house laws could change from time to time. Therefore, we can derive that there can be changes in the house laws (dispensation) from time to time.

We know that God never changes. He is the same today as He was Yesterday, and will still be the same tomarrow. However, the way that God has dealt with man has changed over time. God dealt differently with Adam and Eve before the fall then after the fall. Nowhere do we find that God required Adam and Eve to offer sacrifices as He did with Cain and Able. Noah was required to preach and build an Ark. Abram was told to look in the heavens and count the stary. Abraham was required to offer his son Isaac. Moses was given the Law for instructions in righteousness for the children of Israel. So just from what I just wrote, one should be able to see that the "house laws" (dispensations) have changed, but the atributes of God never changed.

Many say that dispensationalism began in the 1800's. However, I find that Paul speaks of 3 dispensations in Ephesians 2. He speaks of TIMES PAST in vss. 11, 12. BUT NOW in vs. 13, and AGES TO COME in vs. 7.

There are three major groups of dispensationialists - Acts 2, Acts9/mid-Acts, and Acts 28:28.

The main points of Act 2 dispies are, but not exclusive, that the Church, the Body of Christ, began at Pentecost, and and water baptism is still a requirement. However, they cannot all agree on as to WHEN, WHY, or HOW it is to be administered. Also they partake of the Lord's Supper.

The Acts 9/mid-Acts dispies (which I profess to be) believe that the Church, the Body of Christ, began after the conversion of Saul/Paul with the ushering in this present dispensation of Grace, and the formation of "the one new man" (a new creation), now known as "the Body of Christ," Jew and Gentile on equal footing, without distinction, and not under the Law. That this dispensation is a "(parenthetical)" period within the dispensation of the Law. Also this group does partake of the Lord's Supper, but not as an ordinance, and do not believe that water baptism is for this dispensation. Also, they believe that the Tribulation began in Acts 2:16-20, as opposed to the Church, the Body of Christ, beginning there.

The Acts 28:28 dispies believe the Church, the Body of Christ, began after Paul was given the full knowledge of the mystery while in prison in Rome. Therefore they believe only Paul's prision Epistles are for the Church, the Body of Christ. They do not partake of the Lords Supper, or believe that water baptism is for this present dispensation of Grace.

Hope this is helpful.

Am I understanding you right that you are saying that the Letters of Peter & John (for example) in the NT are not actually part of the NT Scripture, or is that just the third group?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Biblewriter

Site Supporter
May 15, 2005
Ocala, Florida
Visit site
✟531,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Further, dispensationalism is the only system of theology which incorporated eschatology into itself at its developing stages, not as an afterthought like covenant theology. Proof of this is the in-depth analysis of eschatology given by dispensationalists (ex. John Walvoord, Charles Ryrie, J. Dwight Pentecost, etc.). Point-by-point analysis of eschatology is offered by most of the major proponents of dispensationalism, while other views seem to be lacking in sufficient evidence, including irreconcilable contradictions that have yet to be answered. This is done by interpretting prophecy with the same, consistent literal hermeneutic unless the context warrants otherwise.

Actually, the men you mention were far from the founders of the Dispensational movement.

We know very little of the positions of the earliest church leaders after the Apostles, so we simply do not know what they taught except for the denunciations of their positions found in later writings. But in modern times, dispensationbalism was first taught by John Nelson Darby, the man who coined the term rapture in regard to our Lord's coming to take His own to heaven. He had a close associate named William Kelly. These two theologians expounded at length on eschatology, writing mainly in the period between 1830 and 1880. The teachings are so completely intertwined that it is impossible to discuss their eschatology without taking account of their dispensationalism, and it is impossible to discuss their dispensationalism without taking into account their eschatology.

Upvote 0

Biblewriter

Site Supporter
May 15, 2005
Ocala, Florida
Visit site
✟531,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Um... I've never heard it put quite that way.

You imply that dispensationalism doesn't believe the differences between covenants were intentional, but accidental. That's not really an accurate assessment.

This strikes me as like saying it would take more than a day to row a boat across the Atlantic Ocean.

Far beyond not being an accurate assessment of dispensational doctrine, the claim you were responding to is a gross misreprentation of our basic views. Dispensationalists do not think God performed a series of experiments, and that every time an experiment didn't work he tried a new tack with different rules.

Dispensationalists think that God is performing a series of demonstrations (not experiments) to prove beyond any shadow of doubt that man will fail under any situation.

He first put man in innocence, giving him only one rule. Man broke that only rule, and God expelled him from the garden.

He then left man up to his conscience. But after a time every imagination of the thought of their hearts was only evil continually, and God sent the flood to wipe out all but one rigjhteous family.

Then God set up human government. But man only united in rebellion against him and God confused their languages so they could no longer communicate.

Then God took a single righteous man and gave him a wonderful promise. But his descendants forgot the promise and were reduced to abject slavery.

Then God gave man a perfect law, but they never kept that law and finally crucified the only one who ever kept it.

Then God offered free salvation in grace, but man has not followed the instructions he has given the church. He has told us this will end in general apostascy.

Finally, God will rule man in perfect righteousness for a thousand years, until there is no one living who has any memory of a time when things were not perfect. But God has told us that this will also end in rebellion.

Thus, when God is finished, He will have demonstrated that man fails under every conceivable situation. The point of all this is to magnify his grace in forgiving us and saving through faith all who trust Him.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.