What Bible translation(s) do you prefer?

ingridz

May 9, 2013
✟7,767.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

ProudMomxmany

slightly insane mom of many
Jul 6, 2013
✟17,163.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My bro and I both read and love the ESV. The language is accessible without some of the more glaring errors of the NIV. Also it's published by Crossway, as opposed to Zondervan, who's parent company publishes some really disgusting stuff.

Crossway bibles are manufactured in China...I wonder if they're taking advantage of "slave" labor.

Reactions: HonestTruth
Upvote 0
A

Allectus

Crossway bibles are manufactured in China...I wonder if they're taking advantage of "slave" labor.

Is this supposed to be a critique? We don't know their system of labour.

Crossway's parent company is Good News Publishing out of Illinois and is very selective in their publications. Crossway is producing and distributing 60,000 Chinese-English Bibles for the Chinese mainland as well as a Chinese study Bible. They also subsidize study Bibles for all over the world.

Zondervan's parent company HarperCollins is a conglomerate that to this day publishes in compliance with Chinese government censors. They also publish the Satanic Bible and gay sex books.

Upvote 0

ProudMomxmany

slightly insane mom of many
Jul 6, 2013
✟17,163.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Is this supposed to be a critique? We don't know their system of labour.

Crossway's parent company is Good News Publishing out of Illinois and is very selective in their publications. Crossway is producing and distributing 60,000 Chinese-English Bibles for the Chinese mainland as well as a Chinese study Bible. They also subsidize study Bibles for all over the world.

Zondervan's parent company HarperCollins is a conglomerate that to this day publishes in compliance with Chinese government censors. They also publish the Satanic Bible and gay sex books.

I just find it funny that a "Christian" company would outsource its publishing to a communist country where they have no safety requirements, minimum wages that are SIGNIFICANTLY lower than in the US, and make one whale of a profit off each bible sold in the USA. Seems a bit contradictory to me...

Reactions: HonestTruth
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
A

Allectus

I just find it funny that a "Christian" company would outsource its publishing to a communist country where they have no safety requirements, minimum wages that are SIGNIFICANTLY lower than in the US, and make one whale of a profit off each bible sold in the USA. Seems a bit contradictory to me...

Yeah, that's fair enough. I dunno if you've heard of Local Church Bible Publishers. They pretty much make Bibles at cost, but only a few people work there, and they're really good quality. I think their Bibles start at $40. They're also only KJV. But when I received mine, it came with like 30 gospel tracts and a whole bunch of stuff.. Pretty impressive.

Upvote 0

JHM

Sep 19, 2007
✟15,773.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
First let me say that my reading comprehension has been tested and found to be in the 99.997th Percentile, or one of the top 3 in an average group of 100,000 people.

Second, I had my I.Q. tested by the "Four Sigma Society", (who only accept 1 in 30,000 people, -- I didn't qualify), but I did come in in the 99.96th Percentile, which is to say one of the top 4 in an average group of 10,000 people.

idiotsheet001.jpg

I first read the Bible, (Revised Standard Version), cover to cover in 1973. I concluded it was real, because someone, a very long time ago, knew far more about the future than any human being could have possibly known. I then read it cover to cover again, (Jerusalem Bible), this time taking notes, wherein any topic that raised my interest got a heading at the top of a blank page in my notebook, and any further references to that topic, or any related topic, got their chapter, verses, and subject entered on that same page. In this way I collected all references to any given subject that got my attention.

Having done that, I then read the Bible cover to cover yet again, this time comparing seven different versions, (King James Version, Jerusalem Bible, Revised Standard Version, New Revised Standard Version, Ryrie Study Bible - NASV, New International Version, and Darby Translation), on a verse by verse basis to see if any one version was more accurate than others at any given point.

I found the Jerusalem Bible to be the most accurate overall, with the New Revised Standard Version coming in second most accurate, and the Darby Translation coming in third most accurate, though all of the others had some points at which they were most accurate.

I then began to study and research those points which had caught my interest.
E.G. That is how I found the "Lilith Code", "The Nicolaitanes Code" "The Fallen Angels Code" - and others.

The most accurate version of the story of the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah was the Darby Translation, with the Jerusalem Bible being second most accurate. The ONLY accurate translation of Zechariah 6 : 1 - 6 is the Jerusalem Bible. Re Lilith the three most accurate versions, of the seven I have, are the Jerusalem Bible, the Darby Translation, and the New Revised Standard Version.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, The most accurate version of "THE LORD'S PRAYER" is in my opinion, The New Revised Standard Version, with the Jerusalem Bible being second most accurate, and ALL OF THE OTHER FIVE VERSIONS I HAVE being out and out WRONG, unless you want to address your prayers to the Devil as being "Your father in heaven".

Upvote 0

JHM

Sep 19, 2007
✟15,773.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Re "The Lord's Prayer" See :
Matthew 6 : 9 - 13 (Darby Translation)
Thus therefore pray ye : Our Father who art in the heavens, let thy name be sanctified, let thy kingdom come, let thy will be done as in heaven so upon the earth; give us to-day our needed bread, and forgive us our debts, as we also forgive our debtors, and lead us not into temptation, but save us from evil.

Matthew 6 : 9 -13 (New International Version)
This then is how you should pray. Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us today our daily bread. Forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And
lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.

Matthew 6 : 9 - 13 (King James Version)
After this manner therefore pray ye : Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. And
lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil : For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

Matthew 6 : 9 - 13 (Revised Standard Version)
Pray then like this : Our Father who art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done, On earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread; And forgive us our debts, As we also have forgiven our debtors; And
lead us not into temptation, But deliver us from evil.

Matthew 6 : 9 - 13 (Ryrie Study Bible - NASV)
Pray, then in this way : Our Father who art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, On earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our
debts, as we have forgiven our debtors. And
do not lead us into temptation, but deliver us from evil. [For Thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever. Amen.] - Though this may have been added later.

Matthew 6 : 9 - 13 (Jerusalem Bible)
So you should pray like this : Our Father in heaven, may your name be held holy, your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as in heaven. Give us today our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we have forgiven those who are in debt to us. And
do not put us to the test, but save us from the evil one.

Matthew 6 : 9 - 13 (New Revised Standard Version)
Pray then in this way : Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name. Your Kingdom come. Your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And
do not bring us to the time of trial, but rescue us from the evil one.

Note that there are two different meanings put forth in these seven versions of the "Lord's Prayer".

One urges GOD not to lead mankind into temptation, and the other urges GOD not to "Put us to the test" or "Bring us to the time of trial"

Now See :
James 1 : 13 (Darby Translation)
Let no man, being tempted, say, I am tempted of God. For God cannot be tempted by evil things, and himself tempts no one.

James 1 : 13 (New International Version)
When tempted, no one should say, "God is tempting me." For God cannot be tempted by evil,
nor does he tempt anyone.

James 1 : 13 (King James Version)
Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God : for God cannot be tempted with evil,
neither tempteth he any man.

James 1 : 13 (Revised Standard Version)
Let no one say when he is tempted, "I am tempted by God", for God cannot be tempted with evil
and he himself tempts no one;

James 1 : 13 (Ryrie Study Bible - NASV)
Let no one say when he is tempted, "I am being tempted by God"; for God cannot be tempted by evil,
and He Himself does not tempt anyone.

James 1 : 13 (Jerusalem Bible) Temptation
Never, when you have been tempted, say, 'God sent the temptation'; God cannot be tempted to do anything wrong,
and he does not tempt anybody.

James 1 : 13 (New Revised Standard Version)
No one, when tempted, should say, "I am being tempted by God"; for God cannot be tempted by evil
and he himself tempts no one.

Note that the seven versions of James 1 : 13 are consistant in their meaning. GOD DOES NOT TEMPT ANYBODY.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JHM

Sep 19, 2007
✟15,773.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Now See Matthew 13 : 24 - 30 (King James Version)
Matthew 13 24-30: The kingdom of heaven is likened unto a man which sowed good seed in his field: But while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares13.25 among the wheat, and went his way. But when the blade was sprung up, and brought forth fruit, then appeared the tares also. So the servants of the householder came and said to him, Sir, didst not thou sow good seed in thy field? From whence then hath it tares? He said unto them, An enemy hath done this. The servants said unto him, Wilt thou then that we go and gather them up? But he said, Nay; lest while ye gather the tares, ye root up also the wheat with them. Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of the harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.

See Note 13 :.25 Ryrie Study Bible (NASV) : 13.25 :tares. Weeds, in this case probably darnel, which in the blade resembles wheat but which can be distinguished from wheat when fully ripe.

Note : The Jerusalem Bible substitutes "darnel" for "tares" each time they appear in both the foregoing and the following passages. Discussing these passages with someone more knowledgeable than I regards agriculture, I was informed that "Darnel" is a weed which is indistinguishable in appearance from "Wheat" until such time as the wheat bears fruit.

The Meaning of Matthew 13 : 24-30 is made explicitly clear by Matthew 13 : 36-43 which follows

See Matthew 13 : 36-43 Ryrie Study Bible.
Matthew 13 : 36-43 : Then he left the multitude, and went into the house. And his disciples came to Him saying, "Explain to us the parable of the tares in the field." And He answered and said, "The one who sows the good seed is the Son of Man,a and the field is the world; and as for the good seed, these are the sons of the kingdom; and the tares are the sons of the evil one; and the enemy who sowed them is the devil, and the harvest is the end of the age; and the reapers are angels." "Therefore just as the tares are gathered up and burned with fire, so shall it be at the end of the age." "The Son of Man will send forth His angels, and they will gather out of His kingdom all stumbling blocks, and those who commit lawlessness, and will cast them into the furnace of fire; in that place there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth." "Then THE RIGHTEOUS WILL SHINE FORTH AS THE SUN in the kingdom of their Father. He who has ears, let him hear."

Note : The foregoing two passages make it perfectly clear that there ARE "Children of the Devil" on earth NOW, and there have been for a very long time, (Since the days of Jared) .That being the case, there are also TWO "Fathers in heaven", i.e. GOD, and the Devil. Further it would seem to me that "Leading people into temptation" is more the Devil's sort of work.

I pointed all this out to Jeremy Chance Springfield, (an expert translator of the ancient Biblical scripts), and he checked both the Aramaic and the Greek and found : I quote verbatim including highlights :

"Concerning what you pondered over about "temptations/trials," you may be surprised (as I was) to find out that in BOTH Aramaic and Greek, the word used in each can mean EITHER temptation or trial/test!"

So it would appear that the Bible was arranged to allow people to pray to the "Father" of their choice. Which "Father" do you pray to ?

All this is just ONE example of why I find the Jerusalem Bible to be the most accurate translation overall, though in this specific case the "New Revised Standard Version" is slightly better.

Upvote 0

JHM

Sep 19, 2007
✟15,773.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Here is Jeremy Chance Springfield's translation of "THE LORD'S PRAYER" from the Aramaic "Peshitta" which his studies indicate predates the Greek versions.

MATTHEW 6 VERSION:
Awan d'washmaya / Our Father who is in the heavens
neethqadash sh’makh / Your Name shall be set-apart
teehteh malkuthakh / Your kingdom shall come
nehweh tzewyanakh / Your desire shall be
aykana d'washmaya ap b'araa / as of in the heavens, even so in the earth
hawlan lakhma d'sunqanan yawmana / Give us our needed bread today
w'ashwuq lan khaubayn / and forgive for us our debts
aykana d'ap akhnan / as even we have been
shwaqan l'khayawayn / forgiving to our debtors
w'la talan l'nesyuna / and do not bring us to trials,
ela patzan meeyn beesha / but set us free from evil
metol d'deelakh hee malkutha / because Your own is the Kingdom
w'khayla w'teshbukhta / and the power and the glory
l'alam almeeyn Ameeyn / for eternity everlasting, Amen

LUKE 11 VERSION:
ayk d'washmaya ap b'araa / as of in the heavens, even so in the earth
hawlan lakhma d'sunqanan kulyum / Give us our needed bread every day
ap akhnan ger shwaqan / for even we have been forgiving
l’kul d’khayaweeyn lan / to all of our debtors
ela p’ruqan men beesha / but rescue us from evil

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

random person

1 COR. 10:11; HEB. 1:2; HEB. 9:26,28; 1 PET. 1:20
Dec 10, 2013
Riverside California
✟14,087.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Here is Jeremy Chance Springfield's translation of "THE LORD'S PRAYER" from the Aramaic "Peshitta" which his studies indicate predates the Greek versions.

MATTHEW 6 VERSION:
aykana d'washmaya ap b'araa / as of in the heavens, even so in the earth
hawlan lakhma d'sunqanan yawmana / Give us our needed bread today
aykana d'ap akhnan / as even we have been
shwaqan l'khayawayn / forgiving to our debtors
ela patzan meeyn beesha / but set us free from evil
metol d'deelakh hee malkutha / because Your own is the Kingdom
w'khayla w'teshbukhta / and the power and the glory
l'alam almeeyn Ameeyn / for eternity everlasting, Amen

LUKE 11 VERSION:
ayk d'washmaya ap b'araa / as of in the heavens, even so in the earth
hawlan lakhma d'sunqanan kulyum / Give us our needed bread every day
ap akhnan ger shwaqan / for even we have been forgiving
l’kul d’khayaweeyn lan / to all of our debtors
ela p’ruqan men beesha / but rescue us from evil

That is quite beautiful. And who is Jeremy Chance Springfield?

I read KJV and NASB.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I used to use the NIV but now prefer the NET. It's a very good translation with 60,932 translators' notes on every aspect of translation and exegetical comments.

BTW, those who criticize the NIV and other modern translations by saying that they're not close to the Hebrew or Greek (or Aramaic) don't know what they're talking about.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Now See Matthew 13 : 24 - 30 (King James Version)
Matthew 13 24-30: The kingdom of heaven is likened unto a man which sowed good seed in his field: But while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares13.25 among the wheat, and went his way. But when the blade was sprung up, and brought forth fruit, then appeared the tares also. So the servants of the householder came and said to him, Sir, didst not thou sow good seed in thy field? From whence then hath it tares? He said unto them, An enemy hath done this. The servants said unto him, Wilt thou then that we go and gather them up? But he said, Nay; lest while ye gather the tares, ye root up also the wheat with them. Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of the harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.

See Note 13 :.25 Ryrie Study Bible (NASV) : 13.25 :tares. Weeds, in this case probably darnel, which in the blade resembles wheat but which can be distinguished from wheat when fully ripe.

Note : The Jerusalem Bible substitutes "darnel" for "tares" each time they appear in both the foregoing and the following passages. Discussing these passages with someone more knowledgeable than I regards agriculture, I was informed that "Darnel" is a weed which is indistinguishable in appearance from "Wheat" until such time as the wheat bears fruit.

The Meaning of Matthew 13 : 24-30 is made explicitly clear by Matthew 13 : 36-43 which follows

See Matthew 13 : 36-43 Ryrie Study Bible.
Matthew 13 : 36-43 : Then he left the multitude, and went into the house. And his disciples came to Him saying, "Explain to us the parable of the tares in the field." And He answered and said, "The one who sows the good seed is the Son of Man,a and the field is the world; and as for the good seed, these are the sons of the kingdom; and the tares are the sons of the evil one; and the enemy who sowed them is the devil, and the harvest is the end of the age; and the reapers are angels." "Therefore just as the tares are gathered up and burned with fire, so shall it be at the end of the age." "The Son of Man will send forth His angels, and they will gather out of His kingdom all stumbling blocks, and those who commit lawlessness, and will cast them into the furnace of fire; in that place there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth." "Then THE RIGHTEOUS WILL SHINE FORTH AS THE SUN in the kingdom of their Father. He who has ears, let him hear."

Note : The foregoing two passages make it perfectly clear that there ARE "Children of the Devil" on earth NOW, and there have been for a very long time, (Since the days of Jared) .That being the case, there are also TWO "Fathers in heaven", i.e. GOD, and the Devil. Further it would seem to me that "Leading people into temptation" is more the Devil's sort of work.

I pointed all this out to Jeremy Chance Springfield, (an expert translator of the ancient Biblical scripts), and he checked both the Aramaic and the Greek and found : I quote verbatim including highlights :

"Concerning what you pondered over about "temptations/trials," you may be surprised (as I was) to find out that in BOTH Aramaic and Greek, the word used in each can mean EITHER temptation or trial/test!"

So it would appear that the Bible was arranged to allow people to pray to the "Father" of their choice. Which "Father" do you pray to ?

All this is just ONE example of why I find the Jerusalem Bible to be the most accurate translation overall, though in this specific case the "New Revised Standard Version" is slightly better.

Satan has been cast out of heaven along with many other angels. It is blasphemy to say that he is also a "Father in Heaven". Also, I doubt you'll find too many who pray to Satan on this Christian forum.

Upvote 0