What Bible translation(s) do you prefer?

SeekerOfChrist94

Grandma ♡ June 26, 1942 - January 10, 2017 5:32 pm
Apr 21, 2013
Texas
✟54,920.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I really like the New Living Translation a lot. I prefer KJV and NIV for very specific verses, such as KJV for John 14:27 and NIV for Jeremiah 29:11.

Reactions: psalms 91
Upvote 0

GraceC

Jul 16, 2013
✟7,688.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My church uses the NKJV so I was using that along with the ESV. I've recently began reading the NLT and really love it. I have a high reading comprehension so the NKJV and ESV aren't difficult for me per se but I love reading the NLT and just "getting it" the first time I read. For example, vestments in the NKJV and ESV is robes in the NLT. That's what it must have been like for the 1st century Christians when a letter was read to them, they just got it and immediately understood what was being said because the letter was written in their common everyday language. Anyway, long story short, I'm now considering making my NLT my primary bible and referring to my NKJV and ESV when doing in-depth study.

Upvote 0

SeekerOfChrist94

Grandma ♡ June 26, 1942 - January 10, 2017 5:32 pm
Apr 21, 2013
Texas
✟54,920.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I grew up with the KJV Bible, and I still love it, but it can be hard to understand sometimes. I also like the NIV and ESV. I just started reading the GNT and it's so easy to understand, I understand what I'm reading very well.

Reactions: psalms 91
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ALoveDivine

Saved By Grace
Jun 25, 2010
Detroit, MI
✟11,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The NASB is my favorite. It is clear and straightforward, translated into contemporary English, and is perhaps the most literally accurate word-for-word translation into the English language.

The ESV is good too but is not, in my view, on par with the NASB.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
for seekers of Yhvh, realize that Hebrew, Arabic and Greek Word Studies open up a whole new and more accurate picture or many things throughout Scripture (as long as you find objective, not denominational, word studies) . Denominational studies may drive a soul even further from the truth while they thing they are learning simple truths hidden from the public. Test any and all, stay in prayer, don't trust some things from the same author just because previous things tested out truthful - again, test everything; praying always, and perhaps Yhvh will delight to instruct and reveal the truth.

Word studies aren't 'needed', per se, for a persons faith, but there aren't many ways nor places a person can go and trust the instructors,
while Yhvh is always reliable and trustworthy,
and the 'simple' original Word is much more life-giving (literally) in Yahshua than
the later (any) translations (in english). Be prepared though - as Yahshua said plainly and simply, members of your own family and group may reject you and may be your worst enemy. (not necessarily, if they love truth; but not everyone loves truth, as many have found out painfully).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums