What are your opinions on The Prosperity Doctrine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cristoiglesia

Veteran
Jul 20, 2005
Alapan, Imus, Cavite, Philippines
✟16,550.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Fotios said:
I'm sure you love repeating/reposting stuff, but it's getting tedious my friend.

It seems to be an epidemic of that lately in GT. Remember in the old days with vinyl records when they would get stuck, Very annoying.

In Christ:crossrc:
Fr. Joseph

Upvote 0

cristoiglesia

Veteran
Jul 20, 2005
Alapan, Imus, Cavite, Philippines
✟16,550.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
justinstout said:
Why is it that sin abounds in poverty-stricken areas? Hmm... Violence, murder, teen-pregnancy... you name it... it all abounds where there's poverty! Why is it that the crime rate is so much higher in those areas? Seems like people could put two and two together. Either poverty produces sin or sin produces poverty. Either way, poverty is a curse!

It's not the poverty that causes the crime but greed just like the greed that you are promoting. Is this part of your teaching, to look down on those that are not as worldly as you and more Spiritual?

Fr. Joseph

Upvote 0

JimfromOhio

Life of Trials :)
Feb 7, 2004
Central Ohio
✟60,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
cristoiglesia said:
Is this part of your teaching, to look down on those that are not as worldly as you and more Spiritual?

Fr. Joseph

Yes... They are focusing on appearance of wealth and health when God never looks on appearances and told us not to look on appearances. I just want to add that Word of Faith also looks down on those who are not healthy (Not healed) as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JimfromOhio

Feb 7, 2004
Central Ohio
✟60,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I found it.....

Jeremiah 49:16
The terror you inspire and the pride of your heart have deceived you, you who live in the clefts of the rocks, who occupy the heights of the hill. Though you build your nest as high as the eagle's, from there I will bring you down," declares the LORD.

Upvote 0

calidog

Veteran
Nov 1, 2005
shhhhhh
✟1,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

seekthetruth909

Veteran
Dec 14, 2005
✟16,813.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
justinstout said:
Prosperity only destroys a FOOL!

Guess that tells us something about most of the poverty-minded religious folks in here. They fear prosperity because it may expose the wickedness of their hearts.

justinstout said:
Prosperity only destroys a FOOL!

Guess that tells us something about most of the poverty-minded religious folks in here. They fear prosperity because it may expose the wickedness of their hearts.

By your reasoning if poverty makes you wicked then the apostles would have to have been wicked.
[BIBLE] 1 Corinthians 4

8 Already you have all you want! Already you have become rich! You have become kings—and that without us! How I wish that you really had become kings so that we might be kings with you! 9 For it seems to me that God has put us apostles on display at the end of the procession, like men condemned to die in the arena. We have been made a spectacle to the whole universe, to angels as well as to men. 10 We are fools for Christ, but you are so wise in Christ! We are weak, but you are strong! You are honored, we are dishonored! 11 To this very hour we go hungry and thirsty, we are in rags, we are brutally treated, we are homeless. 12 We work hard with our own hands. When we are cursed, we bless; when we are persecuted, we endure it; 13 when we are slandered, we answer kindly. Up to this moment we have become the scum of the earth, the refuse of the world.

2 Corinthians 6:4-5

4Rather, as servants of God we commend ourselves in every way: in great endurance; in troubles, hardships and distresses; 5in beatings, imprisonments and riots; in hard work, sleepless nights and hunger;

Hebrews 11:36-38

36Some faced jeers and flogging, while still others were chained and put in prison. 37They were stoned[a]; they were sawed in two; they were put to death by the sword. They went about in sheepskins and goatskins, destitute, persecuted and mistreated— 38the world was not worthy of them. They wandered in deserts and mountains, and in caves and holes in the ground.

Acts 3:6 6Then Peter said, "Silver or gold I do not have, but what I have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk."

Luke 12:15-21 15Then he said to them, "Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions."[/BIBLE]

But the apostles wrote the New Testament in the bible. Where does that leave us?

Upvote 0

TasManOfGod

Untatted Saint
Sep 15, 2003
Tasmania
✟26,515.00
Faith
Word of Faith
A rich man and a prosperous man are two different things
as is richness and prosperity
There are worldly people on TV who tell people how to be rich
However it is God's people on TV who tell people how to be prosperous
We tend to think it is the worlds people's job to tell us how to be prosperous -but they cant
They can only tell us how to be rich or poor.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JimfromOhio

Feb 7, 2004
Central Ohio
✟60,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
TasManOfGod said:
A rich man and a prosperous man are two different things
as is richness and prosperity
There are worldly people on TV who tell people how to be rich
However it is God's people on TV who tell people how to be prosperous
We tend to think it is the worlds people's job to tell us how to be prosporous -but they cant
They can only tell us how to be rich or poor.

This statement is really interesting.
how to be rich and how to be prosperous

Depends on the "doctrine of Prosperity" of someone's teachings. Many churches offer courses on Financial Stewardship. The denominations I have been involved never used the word "Prosper or Prosperity" because the words give out the wrong message of stewardship. Jesus never preached how to be earthly prosperity. The Apostles surely didn't either. Why should Pastors preach Wealth and Prosperity? True Pastors preaches the right attitude of wealth and prosperity from God's point of view rather than the world's point of view. Everything belongs to God, who calls the Church (Christians) to live in faithful stewardship of all that God has entrusted to us. As I said in the past, Christians' view of money and material possessions is an effective barometer of our spirituality. As Jesus said, "Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also" (Matthew 6:21). On the topic of "Prosperity", depending on what kind of prosperity you are looking for and what kind of spiritual desires do you hunger for. When someone uses the word "Prosperity" as "one of their primary" topics, they are using it to encourage people have strong desires for pleasures and wealth more than spiritual. My main problem with Word of Faith preachers are using "prosperity" to attract people with itching ears so they will be motivated to do something for themselves rather than sound spiritual docrine.
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. — 2 Timothy 4:3

Upvote 0

TasManOfGod

Untatted Saint
Sep 15, 2003
Tasmania
✟26,515.00
Faith
Word of Faith
JimfromOhio said:
This statement is really interesting.

Depends on the "doctrine of Prosperity" of someone's teachings. Many churches offer courses on Financial Stewardship. The denominations I have been involved never used the word "Prosper or Prosperity" because the words give out the wrong message of stewardship. Jesus never preached how to be earthly prosperity. The Apostles surely didn't either. Why should Pastors preach Wealth and Prosperity? True Pastors preaches the right attitude of wealth and prosperity from God's point of view rather than the world's point of view. Everything belongs to God, who calls the Church (Christians) to live in faithful stewardship of all that God has entrusted to us. As I said in the past, Christians' view of money and material possessions is an effective barometer of our spirituality. As Jesus said, "Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also" (Matthew 6:21). On the topic of "Prosperity", depending on what kind of prosperity you are looking for and what kind of spiritual desires do you hunger for. When someone uses the word "Prosperity" as "one of their primary" topics, they are using it to encourage people have strong desires for pleasures and wealth more than spiritual. My main problem with Word of Faith preachers are using "prosperity" to attract people with itching ears so they will be motivated to do something for themselves rather than sound spiritual docrine.
Perhaps Jim the ones that you think do it right should be the one's teaching prosperity on TV instead. Jim -have you ever considered the possibility that they would but they aren't yet prosperous enough to do so

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.