What are your opinions on The Prosperity Doctrine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fotios

Jan 11, 2006
✟7,770.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
JimfromOhio said:
In Luke 8:13, Jesus said:

"The seeds in the gravel are those who hear with enthusiasm, but the enthusiasm doesn't go very deep. It's only another fad, and the moment there's trouble it's gone." (The Message)

They on the rock are they, which, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, which for a while believe, and in time of temptation fall away. (KJV)

Those on the rock are the ones who receive the word with joy when they hear it, but they have no root. They believe for a while, but in the time of testing they fall away. (NIV)

13The rocky soil represents those who hear the message with joy. But like young plants in such soil, their roots don't go very deep. They believe for a while, but they wilt when the hot winds of testing blow. (NLT)

Prosperity and motivational preaching has become major theologies in the Christian world. The heart is where God meets us because that is where we make our decisions. Our hearts are where our desires and motives are located. It is important to understand that our hearts are the state of our "flesh". Our flesh search for pleasure, pride, passions and selfish motives. Our hearts are like a garden with beautiful flowers and plants. As with all gardens, the hearts must be kept free from weeds and insects. In Proverbs 4:23, "Above all else, guard your heart, for it affects everything you do." (NLT). Jesus said in Matthew 6:21, "Wherever your treasure is, there your heart and thoughts will also be." (NLT). Throughout the Bible, God have warned people to be careful of idolatry because we could slip into it almost without noticing it. Idolatry is an excessive devotion or reverence to an object or objects (i.e. prosperity, self-motivation, healing and etc). Idolatry is being used as an instrument of worship which is a false notion that causes spiritual errors in thinking or reasoning.

We need to shake the dust off our sandals.
Wrong Thread...Meant for the other one.

Upvote 0

BUTTERS

Jul 25, 2005
south park colorado
✟280.00
Faith
Christian
Fotios said:
We need to shake the dust off our sandals.
Wrong Thread...Meant for the other one.

You could shake the dust off your sandals if you had some.
Dust on them that is.
You have to advocate an element of faith and have it rejected in order to have dust on your sandals. If you shake you sandals and leave... nobody will be the worse. In fact, they will be better off. No more poverty preaching!
You don't
^_^ ^_^ ^_^ ^_^ ^_^

Upvote 0

moses916

Lord have mercy
Mar 31, 2005
✟9,945.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
BUTTERS said:
You could shake the dust off your sandals if you had some.
Dust on them that is.
You have to advocate an element of faith and have it rejected in order to have dust on your sandals. If you shake you sandals and leave... nobody will be the worse. In fact, they will be better off. No more poverty preaching!
You don't
^_^ ^_^ ^_^ ^_^ ^_^

its good that we leave, we will leave you to corrupt yourself with money. :)

Upvote 0

justinstout

Teaching God's Goodness
Feb 20, 2005
Georgia, USA
✟1,843.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
moses916 said:
its good that we leave, we will leave you to corrupt yourself with money. :)

Prosperity only destroys a FOOL!

Guess that tells us something about most of the poverty-minded religious folks in here. They fear prosperity because it may expose the wickedness of their hearts.

Upvote 0

cristoiglesia

Veteran
Jul 20, 2005
Alapan, Imus, Cavite, Philippines
✟16,550.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
JimfromOhio said:
In Luke 8:13, Jesus said:

"The seeds in the gravel are those who hear with enthusiasm, but the enthusiasm doesn't go very deep. It's only another fad, and the moment there's trouble it's gone." (The Message)

They on the rock are they, which, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, which for a while believe, and in time of temptation fall away. (KJV)

Those on the rock are the ones who receive the word with joy when they hear it, but they have no root. They believe for a while, but in the time of testing they fall away. (NIV)

13The rocky soil represents those who hear the message with joy. But like young plants in such soil, their roots don't go very deep. They believe for a while, but they wilt when the hot winds of testing blow. (NLT)

Prosperity and motivational preaching has become major theologies in the Christian world. The heart is where God meets us because that is where we make our decisions. Our hearts are where our desires and motives are located. It is important to understand that our hearts are the state of our "flesh". Our flesh search for pleasure, pride, passions and selfish motives. Our hearts are like a garden with beautiful flowers and plants. As with all gardens, the hearts must be kept free from weeds and insects. In Proverbs 4:23, "Above all else, guard your heart, for it affects everything you do." (NLT). Jesus said in Matthew 6:21, "Wherever your treasure is, there your heart and thoughts will also be." (NLT). Throughout the Bible, God have warned people to be careful of idolatry because we could slip into it almost without noticing it. Idolatry is an excessive devotion or reverence to an object or objects (i.e. prosperity, self-motivation, healing and etc). Idolatry is being used as an instrument of worship which is a false notion that causes spiritual errors in thinking or reasoning.

Jim, I think your post shows a lot of wisdom. I think that the prosperity gospel is just a movement in the US. I can not imagine it spreading to other countries. I am certain it will have no success in the Philippines. People in the Philippines know the Scriptures and will not fall for this false teaching. I am shocked at the lack of love, charity, avarice and covetous displayed by those promoting this theological error. I am glad that this kind of attacks on the Church are something I do not have to deal with in my ministry. I have enough problems with the false teaching of the Iglesia ni Cristo, Jehovah Witnesses and Ang Dating Daan. I pray that Christian ministers can come together to combat this particular theological error in the US before it has a chance to further steal souls from Christ. IMO, the people in the US have become too worldly and carnal in their thinking and this is starting to be reflected theologically. I think that much of this mindset comes from the humanist education that most people in the US are exposed to creating a false sense of self to accomplish all things instead of depending on God and respecting His sovereignty. God has promised us eternity but these people believe that even this is not enough and are demanding of God to give it to them now in their time instead of His. The devil could not have designed a better snare to draw people away from Christ than to appeal to the carnality and depravity of man to separate them from God.

In Christ:crossrc:
Fr. Joseph

Upvote 0

cristoiglesia

Veteran
Jul 20, 2005
✟16,550.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
justinstout said:
Poverty is selfish.

It helps no one.

If it wasn't for prosperity, you wouldn't own a Bible!

LOL!! Some of your statements appear so ridiculous I have to believe you are speaking tongue-in-cheek. I pray that you are just trying to illustrate how corrupt the prosperity doctrine is with your sarcasm and unsupported musings.

You know Bibles are nice to have but they are not necessary for faith. Christians did quite well without them for many centuries and the Church prospered under the guidance of the Spirit. If Bibles were banned and destroyed tomorrow the gates of hell still would not prevail against the Church.

Are you speaking of those impoverished disciples of Jesus who spread the Gospel and healed the sick, as being selfish and helping no one? If you are for real, have you thought through what you teach and tested it by Scriptures? Do you realize how short it falls from being sound doctrine? Have you had any training in hermeneutics?

Fr. Joseph

Upvote 0

Girly3302

Jan 1, 2006
✟894.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
justinstout said:
I never said that I "seek wealth", so quit saying that. I seek my heavenly Father and He adds wealth unto me.

I am blessed to be a blessing. A poor man can't help a poor man, the same way that a sinner can't help a sinner. A lost man can't help a lost man. A dead man can't help a dead man and a blind man can't help a blind man.

Poverty corrupts. I don't see you "warning" people about that. Why is it that sin abounds in poverty-stricken areas? Hmm... Violence, murder, teen-pregnancy... you name it... it all abounds where there's poverty! Why is it that the crime rate is so much higher in those areas? Seems like people could put two and two together. Either poverty produces sin or sin produces poverty. Either way, poverty is a curse!

Now be know all the rich people in the world are blessed. The tobacco company execs,the illegal arms dealers,the drug dealers,[only the big rich ones of course] Saddam before he messed with the US.
I never realized Mother Theresa was corrupt!
Saint Donald Trump?

Upvote 0

cristoiglesia

Veteran
Jul 20, 2005
✟16,550.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Girly3302 said:
Now be know all the rich people in the world are blessed. The tobacco company execs,the illegal arms dealers,the drug dealers,[only the big rich ones of course] Saddam before he messed with the US.
I never realized Mother Theresa was corrupt!
Saint Donald Trump?

These rich people can just give to their prosperity pastor and ensure eternal life and God's favor. Of course, Mother Teresa is selfish and worthless because if she was just a good enough Christian she would be rich. I think I am starting to catch on to this theology. Thanks for the help Girly.

Fr. Joseph

Upvote 0

justinstout

Teaching God's Goodness
Feb 20, 2005
Georgia, USA
✟1,843.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
cristoiglesia said:
LOL!! Some of your statements appear so ridiculous I have to believe you are speaking tongue-in-cheek. I pray that you are just trying to illustrate how corrupt the prosperity doctrine is with your sarcasm and unsupported musings.

You know Bibles are nice to have but they are not necessary for faith. Christians did quite well without them for many centuries and the Church prospered under the guidance of the Spirit. If Bibles were banned and destroyed tomorrow the gates of hell still would not prevail against the Church.

Are you speaking of those impoverished disciples of Jesus who spread the Gospel and healed the sick, as being selfish and helping no one? If you are for real, have you thought through what you teach and tested it by Scriptures? Do you realize how short it falls from being sound doctrine? Have you had any training in hermeneutics?

Fr. Joseph

Do YOU preach the Gospel AND heal the sick just as the apostles did?
I sure hope you do that because your poverty sure won't help a soul!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

justinstout

Teaching God's Goodness
Feb 20, 2005
Georgia, USA
✟1,843.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Why is it that sin abounds in poverty-stricken areas? Hmm... Violence, murder, teen-pregnancy... you name it... it all abounds where there's poverty! Why is it that the crime rate is so much higher in those areas? Seems like people could put two and two together. Either poverty produces sin or sin produces poverty. Either way, poverty is a curse!

Upvote 0

JimfromOhio

Life of Trials :)
Feb 7, 2004
Central Ohio
✟60,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
justinstout said:
Why is it that sin abounds in poverty-stricken areas? Hmm... Violence, murder, teen-pregnancy... you name it... it all abounds where there's poverty! Why is it that the crime rate is so much higher in those areas? Seems like people could put two and two together. Either poverty produces sin or sin produces poverty. Either way, poverty is a curse!

Prime examples of Word of Faith doctrines

Upvote 0

justinstout

Teaching God's Goodness
Feb 20, 2005
Georgia, USA
✟1,843.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Bible is quite clear about how a person can become poor....

Proverbs 24:33-34
Yet a little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to sleep:
So shall thy poverty come as one that travelleth; and thy want as an armed man.

Knock yourself out!

Upvote 0

Fotios

Jan 11, 2006
✟7,770.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
justinstout said:

Proverbs 1:32 says that prosperity destroys a fool.

I guess we now understand why many people advocate poverty.

I'm sure you love repeating/reposting stuff, but it's getting tedious my friend.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JimfromOhio

Life of Trials :)
Feb 7, 2004
Central Ohio
✟60,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
justinstout said:
The Bible is quite clear about how a person can become poor....

Proverbs 24:33-34
Yet a little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to sleep:
So shall thy poverty come as one that travelleth; and thy want as an armed man.

Knock yourself out!

I wonder if you know what is the interpretation of those verses? :D

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.