John MacArthur, please remove the plank from your eye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What happened to Scripture: "... born dead in sin and trespasses..." (I don't remember exactly, but people basically are born spiritually blind, and usually stay blind, according to Scripture.)
Right, the sin of Adam was passed down upon every man, woman, and child in existence. This is why we need to be born again spiritually. This new birth can only happen through Jesus Christ. We must believe the gospel in that Christ died for our sins, He was buried, and risen the third day (1 Corinthians 15:1-4), and we then must seek forgiveness with the Lord Jesus Christ of our past life of sin (Romans 10:9, Romans 10:13), which is based upon hearing God’s holy words (Scripture) (Romans 10:17).

Reactions: Aaron112
Upvote 0

Aaron112

Dec 19, 2022
TULSA
✟53,912.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
As for Lot: To my knowledge, while he did go through hardships, there is no mention of him going insane or becoming mentally ill. He may have used poor judgment, but that is not exactly equate with mental illness.
KJV
And delivered just Lot, vexed with the filthy conversation of the wicked:
AKJV
and delivered just Lot, vexed with the filthy conversation of the wicked:
LSB
and if He rescued righteous Lot, oppressed by the sensual conduct of unprincipled men
LEB
and rescued righteous Lot, worn down by the way of life of lawless persons in licentiousness
TLB
But at the same time the Lord rescued Lot out of Sodom because he was a good man, sick of the terrible wickedness he saw everywhere around him day after day.
MSG
God decreed destruction for the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah. A mound of ashes was all that was left—grim warning to anyone bent on an ungodly life. But that good man Lot, driven nearly out of his mind by the sexual filth and perversity, was rescued. Surrounded by moral rot day after day after day, that righteous man was in constant torment.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
KJV
And delivered just Lot, vexed with the filthy conversation of the wicked:
AKJV
and delivered just Lot, vexed with the filthy conversation of the wicked:
LSB
and if He rescued righteous Lot, oppressed by the sensual conduct of unprincipled men
LEB
and rescued righteous Lot, worn down by the way of life of lawless persons in licentiousness
TLB
But at the same time the Lord rescued Lot out of Sodom because he was a good man, sick of the terrible wickedness he saw everywhere around him day after day.
MSG
God decreed destruction for the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah. A mound of ashes was all that was left—grim warning to anyone bent on an ungodly life. But that good man Lot, driven nearly out of his mind by the sexual filth and perversity, was rescued. Surrounded by moral rot day after day after day, that righteous man was in constant torment.
The word “vexed” is defined as, “Teased; provoked; irritated; troubled; agitated; disquieted;”

Source:

The Message Bible (MSG), often characterized by its paraphrased and thought-for-thought translation approach, is not considered a precise rendering of the original text's word-for-word form. Consequently, many Christians (such as myself) find it less trustworthy as a source, even though it may accurately convey certain concepts on occasion. In contrast, I personally believe that the King James Version (KJV) offers a more accurate and reliable translation. Therefore, I believe the word “vexed” conveys the more accurate reading here, and not “nearly out of his mind.”

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,466.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The word “vexed” is defined as, “Teased; provoked; irritated; troubled; agitated; disquieted;”

Source:

The Message Bible (MSG), often characterized by its paraphrased and thought-for-thought translation approach, is not considered a precise rendering of the original text's word-for-word form. Consequently, many Christians (such as myself) find it less trustworthy as a source, even though it may accurately convey certain concepts on occasion. In contrast, I personally believe that the King James Version (KJV) offers a more accurate and reliable translation. Therefore, I believe the word “vexed” conveys the more accurate reading here, and not “nearly out of his mind.”
I find Peterson's interpretation of a particular verse helpful at times. But I think he uses too many colloquialisms like "nearly out of his mind".

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Jesus said that the rain falls and the sun shines on the just and unjust alike - in other words, stuff happens to us all, both the good and the bad.
The interesting thing here is that in a semi-arid climate the “rain” was the “blessing”; this idiom can be lost on us if we are not careful.

Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.