Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I want to learn and get better at the following crafts:
  • Creating original characters for storytelling purposes
  • Sewing (so I can make my own clothes)
  • Knitting
  • Crocheting (so I can make baby blankets)
  • Writing stories
  • Swimming
This is a good beginning list of crafts I'd like to do. How about you? Do you have any hobbies or crafts you'd like to begin or get better at?
Lots.
But as I'm trying to complete 3 wedding photos in cross stitch and have another one to start; they'll have to wait.

Here is one I made earlier.

TomXstitch.jpg

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,431.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I used to have a laundry list of things I wanted to learn. But I've pruned it over the years and opted for specialization instead. I do less but the quality is better as is the outcome. Lifestyle design was a big influence as were ideas like 10,000 hours and so on. Slow living compels me to evaluate my interests and make adjustments when needed. I don't have to do it all and that's very liberating.

I make no distinction between hobbies and work. They're one in the same. I've incorporated them into my livelihood and lifestyle to the degree where proficiency increases naturally. As I work I learn and become more adept at the things I love. That's the goal.

Categorization is helpful. It provides a visual depiction of how they build upon the other and intersect. Which allows me to make tweaks or add something to the mix to round things out.

Textiles and design are my primary focus. Which includes fashion and interiors. I like garden design and may dabble in it at some point. But not to the degree where I could call myself the same.

In respect to the other, sewing is my primary medium. I contemplated knitting but I'm concerned about the long-term impact it would have on my hands and I need them. Nevertheless, machines are a possibility. I enjoy patternmaking and historical pieces including costumes. Couture utilizes techniques found in each and will be a lifelong pursuit and tailoring is the other aspect I'll explore.

I'd like to learn millinery and how to construct handbags and shoes. I've contemplated jewelry-making but it strains the eyes more than I prefer. And the others will keep me busy.

I'm a music aficionado and wanted to play the piano or violin. But in light of my work the Lord advised me to focus on art instead. So art it is! Drawing and painting are certainties. I like sculpture and may delve into it a bit. I enjoy photography and videography will continue to pursue them both.

On the domestic front, I love gardening and self-sufficiency. I have an eco-friendly lifestyle that's ever increasing. My ideal setting is in the countryside with lush soil, livestock, a thriving garden, orchard, olive grove and vines of course. Add in a body of water and nut trees and I might call it utopia. That's what I'm working towards.

As expected home is a central theme. Decor, homemaking, organization, cooking, baking, bread making, preserving and so on. I'd like to learn butchering and cheesemaking. They're useful skills. I enjoy herbalism and want to increase my aptitude. While I like woodworking its taken a back seat for practical reasons. I expect I'll learn to fish at some point. And I wouldn't have land without horses. I've loved them since childhood and riding will probably become my favorite past time.

Winemaking is a possibility. I've made my own liqueurs and plan to do the same with ciders. I have a strange affinity for spinning wheels. There's something relaxing about them. I envision quiet evenings by the fire with a needle in hand or at the wheel. I didn't mention embroidery earlier but it belongs with the others. I'd be remiss if I didn't include candles and soap.

On the physical end there's golf and shooting. I know how to play but I don't do it enough and that needs to change. And I'd like to try my hand at archery. While I hasten to call it a hobby, my commitment to heritage breeds and crops has a place in the list.

Flower arranging and hand lettering are a must. And I want to learn how to cook on a hearth. Publishing is a long-term goal. I want to write books about food, home, personal improvement and devotionals for the marketplace and a life handbook for my loved ones.

French is a certainty and some degree of Italian for musical enjoyment. I'm debating whether the next will be Mandarin or Arabic. The latter seems probable. Travel is a priority but we've adopted a less is more approach. Trains, smaller vessels and so on. Short and long escapes where we soak up the culture and enjoy the experience.

I'd like to explore cathedrals in different areas while they're here. And attend live events around the world. Most notably opera, theater (tasteful productions), symphony and ballet. I don't know if 'slow entertainment' is a term. But I'd include books in that group.

And philanthropy of course. Whether it's the harvest, small gathering, or charitable entity. It must have a place in my life as a testament of character, faith, and familial ethos. I endeavor to glorify Him in all that I do.

God willing, I will through my pursuits.

~bella

Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0