How would I accurately write a (historical) character with a Christian background?

CampbellSD

Mar 9, 2024
Southern California
✟3,271.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Hello, and I hope you're having a wonderful day.

To preface, I am not a religious individual. I am a writer that is looking to learn, after searching around for some way to do research for this specific subject. Additionally, I am aware that Christians as a whole aren't a monolithic group. Therefore, even if you aren't a writer, I'd definitely appreciate your input as to how I can approach this.

I'll also give a short summary up top, for anyone who wants a quick run-down.

In summary, my goal is to accurately (and respectfully) write a story involving an American Christian protagonist from the 1850s. The story will be a portal fantasy/isekai genre; for those reading who do not know what that is, a few classical examples would be Alice in Wonderland, The Wizard of Oz, and A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court. It's a particularly popular genre so there are countless examples that are more modern, but if you are aware of them it's likely you are already familiar with the genre.

What I don't want to do is to lay out what happens to the character in the story, and ask a Christian how the character might make his decisions. I would prefer to create a distinct character, and then be able to insert myself into his worldview to logically craft his decision-making and interactions within the story. In essence, I want to learn how to think like a person who grew up a Christian, whereas I have not.

As a foreward to the main body of the more specific questions, I'm not necessarily doing this research solely for this one story I am writing. Some of my future premises, two of them, will very likely involve some religious characters: A Civil War historical fiction, and a story set in Southern California, 1990s. While I will need to do my own research for those stories once I get to them, I figured it would be best to be somewhat proactive. It never hurts to gather information that I could use multiple times, for future books I plan to write.

Since I don't know what I don't know, I'm going into this research with the assumption that my current knowledge may be inaccurate, incomplete, or otherwise incorrect. My mind is completely open, feel free to correct or criticize any of my methodologies. I'll also give a broad overview of my character's background, for the history-inclined folk who might be interested.

The protagonist was born to a rural family in the New England region in the 1850s. Based primarily on the demographics of the region, I'll likely have this character be a Congregationalist Protestant. He had not been old enough to enlist by the Civil War, but had older brothers who fought and died. By the time he does enlist, the war is over. However, he is involved in the 1871 Korean Expedition. After leaving the military, he proceeds to start his own firearms manufacturing company, with aspirations to become a big name in industry, like Andrew Carnegie or John Rockefeller. In this aspect, this character is a slight hypocrite; while he holds strong feelings about the Civil War and chattel slavery in general, he is also the type of individual to refer to the Pinkertons for help if his own employees act up over pay or working conditions.

The above information will basically not ever be directly stated in the story itself; readers could probably parse this through his internal monologue and musings as they read.

Now, I did say that this story will be a portal fantasy. Given the above, my ultimate question would be the following:
How might an individual with a Christian background navigate a situation that is, to them, seemingly nonsensical, unexpected, or fantastical? My story, being a portal fantasy, is not only focusing on the protagonist but also going the setting that he will find himself in. While his time period is a little too late for him to have read any of Tolkien's works (The Hobbit was published in 1937), I'd imagine the idea of fantastical worlds and magic as fictional settings wasn't too alien of an idea. But reading about a weird setting in a novel, versus actually finding oneself in it, are two entirely different situations.

I've got a multitude of other related questions, such as:
How might a Christian continue practicing if they find themselves in a situation with no scripture or records, only their memory?
How would one try to preach in a setting that's never heard of the Bible?

But I recognize those questions are heavily a case-to-case basis, and the latter won't necessarily apply to this character I plan to write. While Christianity was a major aspect of his upbringing, he is not so incredibly devout as to be a missionary, nor does he really have the skills for it. But there definitely will be instances where his personal beliefs and the world he is now in are at odds. One example is that he'll find himself involuntarily subjected to worship from the local inhabitants due to their own religions; he is obviously going to shut that down immediately, because of idolatry.

Now, there is one specific theme/subject that will be a major part of the story's premise. The main character being a Christian is a major factor in this theme, and how he conducts himself. However, I am hesitant to bring it up. My friends have, understandably, warned me that there's potential for it to become messy if I don't go at it with the right approach. The reason I want to use it is that it is such an inherently interesting starter for a story, it certainly attracts attention from readers, and I've never been satisfied with the way it's been done in so many other stories. I don't plan to steer the story into any contentious or controversial waters, but the mere fact that it brushes up against certain modern-day identity politics means I'll have to be cautious with it.

I can bring it up, if any of you are interested in hearing it. But, knowing where I am, I do not want to offend, so I'll stay on the safe side.

As a final note, one that I almost forgot to add, I'm also definitely open to any novel recommendations that involve a Christian protagonist in the first person, ones that you think would help me figure out how to 'get into that mindset'.

Thank you for reading, and I look forward to your answers.

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,828.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

To preface, I am not a religious individual. I am a writer that is looking to learn, after searching around for some way to do research for this specific subject. Additionally, I am aware that Christians as a whole aren't a monolithic group. Therefore, even if you aren't a writer, I'd definitely appreciate your input as to how I can approach this.

In summary, my goal is to accurately (and respectfully) write a story involving an American Christian protagonist from the 1850s. The story will be a portal fantasy/isekai genre; for those reading who do not know what that is, a few classical examples would be Alice in Wonderland, The Wizard of Oz, and A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court. It's a particularly popular genre so there are countless examples that are more modern, but if you are aware of them it's likely you are already familiar with the genre.

What I don't want to do is to lay out what happens to the character in the story, and ask a Christian how the character might make his decisions. I would prefer to create a distinct character, and then be able to insert myself into his worldview to logically craft his decision-making and interactions within the story. In essence, I want to learn how to think like a person who grew up a Christian, whereas I have not.

As a foreward to the main body of the more specific questions, I'm not necessarily doing this research solely for this one story I am writing. Some of my future premises, two of them, will very likely involve some religious characters: A Civil War historical fiction, and a story set in Southern California, 1990s. While I will need to do my own research for those stories once I get to them, I figured it would be best to be somewhat proactive. It never hurts to gather information that I could use multiple times, for future books I plan to write.

Since I don't know what I don't know, I'm going into this research with the assumption that my current knowledge may be inaccurate, incomplete, or otherwise incorrect. My mind is completely open, feel free to correct or criticize any of my methodologies. I'll also give a broad overview of my character's background, for the history-inclined folk who might be interested.

The protagonist was born to a rural family in the New England region in the 1850s. Based primarily on the demographics of the region, I'll likely have this character be a Congregationalist Protestant. He had not been old enough to enlist by the Civil War, but had older brothers who fought and died. By the time he does enlist, the war is over. However, he is involved in the 1871 Korean Expedition. After leaving the military, he proceeds to start his own firearms manufacturing company, with aspirations to become a big name in industry, like Andrew Carnegie or John Rockefeller. In this aspect, this character is a slight hypocrite; while he holds strong feelings about the Civil War and chattel slavery in general, he is also the type of individual to refer to the Pinkertons for help if his own employees act up over pay or working conditions.

The above information will basically not ever be directly stated in the story itself; readers could probably parse this through his internal monologue and musings as they read.

Now, I did say that this story will be a portal fantasy. Given the above, my ultimate question would be the following:
How might an individual with a Christian background navigate a situation that is, to them, seemingly nonsensical, unexpected, or fantastical? My story, being a portal fantasy, is not only focusing on the protagonist but also going the setting that he will find himself in. While his time period is a little too late for him to have read any of Tolkien's works (The Hobbit was published in 1937), I'd imagine the idea of fantastical worlds and magic as fictional settings wasn't too alien of an idea. But reading about a weird setting in a novel, versus actually finding oneself in it, are two entirely different situations.

How might a Christian continue practicing if they find themselves in a situation with no scripture or records, only their memory?

But I recognize those questions are heavily a case-to-case basis, and the latter won't necessarily apply to this character I plan to write. While Christianity was a major aspect of his upbringing, he is not so incredibly devout as to be a missionary, nor does he really have the skills for it. But there definitely will be instances where his personal beliefs and the world he is now in are at odds. One example is that he'll find himself involuntarily subjected to worship from the local inhabitants due to their own religions; he is obviously going to shut that down immediately, because of idolatry.

Now, there is one specific theme/subject that will be a major part of the story's premise. The main character being a Christian is a major factor in this theme, and how he conducts himself. However, I am hesitant to bring it up. My friends have, understandably, warned me that there's potential for it to become messy if I don't go at it with the right approach. The reason I want to use it is that it is such an inherently interesting starter for a story, it certainly attracts attention from readers, and I've never been satisfied with the way it's been done in so many other stories. I don't plan to steer the story into any contentious or controversial waters, but the mere fact that it brushes up against certain modern-day identity politics means I'll have to be cautious with it.

I can bring it up, if any of you are interested in hearing it. But, knowing where I am, I do not want to offend, so I'll stay on the safe side.

As a final note, one that I almost forgot to add, I'm also definitely open to any novel recommendations that involve a Christian protagonist in the first person, ones that you think would help me figure out how to 'get into that mindset'.

There is a Christian movie called
" The Shift". This may help. Be blessed.

Reactions: CampbellSD
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,828.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Welcome to CF!

Reactions: CampbellSD
Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟48,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

To get an idea of how your character sees things from a religious perspective, a good place to start would be to learn what Congregationalists in mid 19th Century New England believed. There might be public domain sources at archive. org. It would be good to read what they themselves wrote at that period of time. You might also want to read about their order of service. Both denominational beliefs and order of service can change over time, and what holds true now may not hold true then.

There is also the issue of how a person can go to church and yet not be a staunch believer. There is one notorious figure in US history who is recorded having attended at least one camp meeting service, but apparently he didn't take what he heard to heart. In any Christian denomination you can have members that are Christian in name only, or nominal believers, or staunch believers, or anything in between. If the character is a nominal believer, what he encounters might make him uneasy about his own level of faith, or the lack thereof. On the other hand, if he's simply a church member and not a Christian, he might behave the same way an an unchurched non-believer. Then again, he might cling to what he was taught in his denomination while not really believing any part of it. A staunch believer might find himself troubled to find he's not as staunch as he thought he was. There's all sorts of things depending on the character.

Since you mentioned the U.S. Civil War, you may want to look for a book by Bell Wiley, The Life of Billy Yank. In his The Life of Johnny Reb, Wiley details religion among the Confederate soldiers and he may have done the same for Union soldiers in The Life of Billy Yank.

Something you may want to do is to look for a Congregationalist of the same period who is roughly like your character and base your character on him, especially where it concerns compromises in religious belief. Keep in mind the adage, "The past is another country; they do things differently there." How a mid-19th Century New Englander thinks is going to be different that a 21st Century New Englander.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟76,573.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Hey bro. It is awesome that you have a desire to accurately represent a Christian protagonist in your story. We need more Christian protagonists in stories. I had to Google a lot of stuff for you, cos I do not know how to write good stories.

First off, Christianity is a diverse religion with many denominations, practices, and beliefs. Your character's experiences and perspectives may vary widely depending on factors such as his specific church community, regional customs, and personal relationship with faith. That said, here are some insights that may help you understand how a Christian from the 1850s might navigate a fantastical situation:

• Many Christians believe in a loving, benevolent God who has a plan for their lives. They trust that God is guiding them, even in difficult circumstances. If your character finds himself in a strange new world, he may see it as an opportunity to serve God and fulfill His purposes, rather than as a random or senseless occurrence.
  • Prayer and meditation are essential practices for many Christians. Your character may turn to prayer for guidance, comfort, and strength. He may seek to discern God's will for his actions and choices, relying on his faith to guide him through unfamiliar territory.
  • Scripture is another source of wisdom and inspiration for Christians. Although your character may not have access to physical copies of the Bible, he may remember key passages or teachings that provide insight and encouragement. For example, he may recall verses such as "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding" (Proverbs 3:5) or "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" (Philippians 4:13). These verses may inspire courage and perseverance in the face of adversity.
  • Community and fellowship are also vital aspects of Christian life. Even though your character is physically separated from his home community, he may still seek connections with others who share his values and beliefs. This may lead him to form relationships with individuals from different cultures and traditions, which could broaden his perspective and deepen his empathy.
  • Finally, it's worth noting that Christians come in all shapes and sizes, just like people from any other religious tradition. Your character may be deeply faithful, questioning, skeptical, or something in between. He may struggle with doubts and fears, or he may feel confident and assured in his beliefs. Ultimately, his spiritual journey will be unique and complex, shaped by his personality, experiences, and cultural context.

Regarding your request for book recommendations, here are a few novels featuring Christian protagonists that may help you explore these themes further:

1. Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan: This classic allegory follows a man named Christian as he travels through various trials and temptations on his way to the Celestial City. Along the way, he encounters various characters who symbolize different aspects of human nature.
  2. The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis: Written as a series of letters from a senior demon to a junior tempter, this satirical work explores the nature of evil, faith, and redemption. The protagonist, a young Christian man named Mark Studdock, struggles to maintain his integrity amidst external pressures and internal doubts.
  3. Peace Like a River by Leif Enger: This novel tells the story of a family living in rural Minnesota during the Great Depression. The father, Jeremiah Land, is a devoted Christian who performs miracles and inspires faith in those around him. As the family faces challenges and dangers, they rely on their faith to sustain them.
  4. Silence by Shusaku Endo: Set in 1600s Japan, this novel tells the story of two Jesuit priests who travel to Japan to spread the Gospel and search for their missing mentor. Along the way, they confront intense persecution and doubt, forcing them to reckon with their faith and its implications for their lives.
  5. The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak: Told from the perspective of Death, this novel recounts the story of Liesel Meminger, a German girl growing up in Nazi Germany. Despite the oppressive regime surrounding her, Liesel discovers the power of words and literature to inspire hope and resist tyranny. Her adoptive father, Hans Hubermann, is a gentle and compassionate man who shares his love of the Bible with her, instilling in her a sense of morality and justice.
Anyways, God bless, and I wish you luck on your writing endeavor sir. By the way, if you ever get stuck on anything, I recommend downloading an AI on to your computer, so you can bounce ideas off of it. Do not use the AI to write your stories (that is laziness), but ask it for plot recommendations or have it generate cool character names. Mistral 7B is pretty awesome, and it runs locally on your computer (free, no ads, and is private).

Upvote 0

Christoph Maria

Dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return...
Sep 10, 2022
Göteborg, Sweden
✟66,727.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
I can second Alex's recommenation of:

Pilgrim's Progress
Silence
The Book Thief

...and would like to add:

The Scarlet letter
(Hawthorne)
Faust (Goethe)

Will check out The Screwtape Letters
myself... Thanks for the tip! :thumbsup:

GOD bless! :amen:

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟76,573.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I can second Alex's recommenation of:

Pilgrim's Progress
Silence
The Book Thief

...and would like to add:

The Scarlet letter
(Hawthorne)
Faust (Goethe)

Will check out The Screwtape Letters
myself... Thanks for the tip! :thumbsup:

GOD bless! :amen:
You are welcome. I haven't read it, but I used an AI to recommend books and I checked the description of each book.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,863.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
How might an individual with a Christian background navigate a situation that is, to them, seemingly nonsensical, unexpected, or fantastical?
You've been given good advice above about checking contemporary (to the time period you're interested in) sources, so I won't labour that point.

I think this is a really interesting question, and the response is likely to hinge on, how does that individual make sense of their situation? Do they decide that they are dreaming? Or that they are in the midst of some sort of vision (from God or another source)? Or something else? How do their perceptions of their situation change over time? And so on.

In that vein, you might - as well as other works recommended - look at something like the Divine Comedy, and the process the main character goes through in orienting himself to what he is experiencing.
This probably depends on what their practice was like beforehand. If, for example, someone already had a strong habit of praying in the morning, they might continue doing that. They might, in the absence of other more tangible outward aspects of faith, invent small rituals for themselves that make sense in a new setting. You might draw inspiration from the practices of people in a largely pre-literate era, where many small rituals and symbols were more significant than they tend to be now, where almost everyone can read.

As for preaching in a setting that's never heard of the Bible, that's probably more complicated, and is probably going to depend on where they think they are.

Upvote 0