What are some logical, alternative interpretations or ways of understanding...

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Then how do you explain grass and fruit trees before the sun?

The sun was ancient as was the earth. God removed the 'darkness' that 'obscured' the sun: "Let there be light......". It's the first thing he did. Later he 'appointed' (set) the preexisting celestial bodies as timepieces.

Upvote 0

RickG

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 1, 2011
Georgia
✟83,873.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
The sun was ancient as was the earth. God removed the 'darkness' that 'obscured' the sun: "Let there be light......". It's the first thing he did. Later he 'appointed' (set) the preexisting celestial bodies as timepieces.
No, that is not what Genesis says. "He" MADE two great lights.

Gen 1:16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.

Another question, concerning Gap theory, the time between Gen 1:1 and 1:2. Is this where all the geological structure and stratigraphy came into place?

Upvote 0

Jimmy D

Dec 11, 2014
✟268,799.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Well, it's not essential to know, it is really our own vanity to have to know how everything came to be, be it religious oriented or scientifically oriented... It does tend to pull us away and distract us from matters that we maybe should maybe be focusing on more anyway, especially now, considering the nature and condition of our world right now...

That's your opinion. I personally think scientific enquiry and advancement is a good thing though. I also think the 'condition of our world' is more likely to be improved by scientific advancement than by clinging to bronze age myths and hoping that your God will help us.

I would like to say though that I wonder why it is that there are plenty of fossils for various different kinds of a particular kind of animal, different breeds and species, but hardly any "transitional" ones that would show and prove how a say a fish, or sea serpent, became an amphibian, or an amphibian became a reptile, so on and so forth... There's plenty in the fossil record of different "kinds of a kind", but hardly any, or next to none, of how one kind, became another kind... And, in Genesis it says that God created or made, each one according to it's "kind"... Strange to me...?

Wonder why that is...?

That's an easy one, it's explained by your ignorance of paleontology and biology.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No, that is not what Genesis says. "He" MADE two great lights.

Gen 1:16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.

Another question, concerning Gap theory, the time between Gen 1:1 and 1:2. Is this where all the geological structure and stratigraphy came into place?

The word "made" and "set" can be translated "appointed", and makes more sense.

Yes, the time span between Gen 1:1 and 1:2 accounts for the entire geologic record of 'ruin/restoration'. Although the bible alludes to some events during this period the main focus of the story is on man's history, not that of the angels and the preAdamic world.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Yes, the time span between Gen 1:1 and 1:2 accounts for the entire geologic record of 'ruin/restoration'. Although the bible alludes to some events during this period the main focus of the story is on man's history, not that of the angels and the preAdamic world.
Which would make even less sense.

Reactions: RickG
Upvote 0

RickG

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 1, 2011
Georgia
✟83,873.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
All bible versions I've seen, and I just checked several different ones, all say "made". What version says appointed? I think it is more than evident that when something is being created it is made, not appointed.

Well then, that's an even bigger problem. There was no life before Genesis 1:2. How did all those fossils get into all those layers of strata with specific ages and distribution?

Frankly, I think Gap theory is a nice concept and I even entertained it for a while myself until I begin evaluating it. It failed miserably as I described above.

Additionally I ask, how do you verify the authenticity of scripture and for that matter, what is scripture and what is not scripture? And don't quote scripture, "circular reasoning". Independent sources are needed.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
All bible versions I've seen, and I just checked several different ones, all say "made". What version says appointed? I think it is more than evident that when something is being created it is made, not appointed.

Well then, that's an even bigger problem. There was no life before Genesis 1:2. How did all those fossils get into all those layers of strata with specific ages and distribution?

Frankly, I think Gap theory is a nice concept and I even entertained it for a while myself until I begin evaluating it. It failed miserably as I described above.

Additionally I ask, how do you verify the authenticity of scripture and for that matter, what is scripture and what is not scripture? And don't quote scripture, "circular reasoning". Independent sources are needed.

Remember that the early writers translated according to their prior understanding, so it's 'translation by interpretation', and, 'interpretation by translation'. Every new version has honored those original translations. So it's sort of a scholarly echo chamber.

God placed his word in the hands of the common man for a reason. Perhaps the religious leaders of that day missed something, or hid something, that God wanted revealed.

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Remember that the early writers translated according to their prior understanding, so it's 'translation by interpretation', and, 'interpretation by translation'. Every new version has honored those original translations. So it's sort of a scholarly echo chamber.

God placed his word in the hands of the common man for a reason. Perhaps the religious leaders of that day missed something, or hid something, that God wanted revealed.
Kind of like a copy, of a coppie, of a conpie, of a conspie, of a conspiracy? Like that?

Upvote 0

MasonP

Sep 11, 2016
United Kingdom
✟16,015.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Just the opposite.
It's obvious you will spin it all to make it believable to you, all that matters is that you are able to fool yourself into believing the myth, why you bother doing it I have no idea.

Reactions: tyke
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It's obvious you will spin it all to make it believable to you, all that matters is that you are able to fool yourself into believing the myth, why you bother doing it I have no idea.

Works for me. :D

Upvote 0

MasonP

Sep 11, 2016
United Kingdom
✟16,015.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Works for me. :D
Just as long as you're happy.

The happiest person in the world is an idiot sat in a corner smiling and sucking his thump, I'm just glad that idiot is not me.
While ignorance is bliss it's folly to be wise.
For some the lure of ignorance is overwhelming.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Just as long as you're happy.

The happiest person in the world is an idiot sat in a corner smiling and sucking his thump, I'm just glad that idiot is not me.
While ignorance is bliss it's folly to be wise.
For some the lure of ignorance is overwhelming.

To paraphrase Forrest Gump, "Ignorant is what ignorant does". ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MasonP

Sep 11, 2016
United Kingdom
✟16,015.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
To paraphrase Forrest Gump, "Ignorant is what ignorant does". ;)
I guess that just about sums religion up because ignorance plays a big part in religion and the ignorant countries do a lot of religion, the more illiterate the more religion, for an educated religious person that fact must really hurt.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Synonyms for made, meanings...

cause (something) to exist or come about; bring about. (or cause them to come or bring about light through the darkness.)

compel (someone) (or compel or cause something) to do something. (Like to compel or cause them to serve as luminaries, by removing the darkness)

What's the Hebrew word for made mean...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Synonyms for made, meanings...

cause (something) to exist or come about; bring about. (or cause them to come or bring about light through the darkness.)

compel (someone) (or compel or cause something) to do something. (Like to compel or cause them to serve as luminaries, by removing the darkness)

What's the Hebrew word for made mean...?

God Bless!

Take your pick.

Strong's Hebrew Definition for # 06213

mhcsepr.gif

06213 // hse // `asah // aw-saw' //

a primitive root; TWOT - 1708,1709; v

AV - do 1333, make 653, wrought 52, deal 52, commit 49, offer 49,
execute 48, keep 48, shew 43, prepare 37, work 29, do so 21,
perform 18, get 14, dress 13, maker 13, maintain 7, misc 154; 2633

1) to do, fashion, accomplish, make
1a) (Qal)
1a1) to do, work, make, produce
1a1a) to do
1a1b) to work
1a1c) to deal (with)
1a1d) to act, act with effect, effect
1a2) to make
1a2a) to make
1a2b) to produce
1a2c) to prepare
1a2d) to make (an offering)
1a2e) to attend to, put in order
1a2f) to observe, celebrate
1a2g) to acquire (property)
1a2h) to appoint, ordain, institute
1a2i) to bring about
1a2j) to use
1a2k) to spend, pass
1b) (Niphal)
1b1) to be done
1b2) to be made
1b3) to be produced
1b4) to be offered
1b5) to be observed
1b6) to be used
1c) (Pual) to be made
2) (Piel) to press, squeeze

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Take your pick.

Strong's Hebrew Definition for # 06213

mhcsepr.gif

06213 // hse // `asah // aw-saw' //

a primitive root; TWOT - 1708,1709; v

AV - do 1333, make 653, wrought 52, deal 52, commit 49, offer 49,
execute 48, keep 48, shew 43, prepare 37, work 29, do so 21,
perform 18, get 14, dress 13, maker 13, maintain 7, misc 154; 2633

1) to do, fashion, accomplish, make
1a) (Qal)
1a1) to do, work, make, produce
1a1a) to do
1a1b) to work
1a1c) to deal (with)
1a1d) to act, act with effect, effect
1a2) to make
1a2a) to make
1a2b) to produce
1a2c) to prepare
1a2d) to make (an offering)
1a2e) to attend to, put in order
1a2f) to observe, celebrate
1a2g) to acquire (property)
1a2h) to appoint, ordain, institute
1a2i) to bring about
1a2j) to use
1a2k) to spend, pass
1b) (Niphal)
1b1) to be done
1b2) to be made
1b3) to be produced
1b4) to be offered
1b5) to be observed
1b6) to be used
1c) (Pual) to be made
2) (Piel) to press, squeeze
So, It could be very well the way you said in post # 141, or it might not, and there's really no way to know for sure then...?

I guess it's gonna depend on the whole "Is the glass half-full" thing, when it come to some of these matters about God, or "is the glass half-empty" thing, when it comes to some things about God... In other words, are you looking to "see" him in "things", or are you looking in order to "not see" him in "things", kinda "thing" then...? When it comes to some stuff... It still will take "faith", right...?

I don't see the logic in flat out denying that God "could be" so, or true, though, at all...? The very fact is that the truth is that it is, at the very least "might be" or "could very well be"...? Anyways, I don't see how anyone can logically be a strict, strong, Atheist... "Agnostic" perhaps, but not Atheist...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So, It could be very well the way you said in post # 141, or it might not, and there's really no way to know for sure then...?

I guess it's gonna depend on the whole "Is the glass half-full" thing, when it come to some of these matters about God, or "is the glass half-empty" thing, when it comes to some things about God... In other words, are you looking to "see" him in "things", or are you looking in order to "not see" him in "things", kinda "thing" then...? When it comes to some stuff... It still will take "faith", right...?

I don't see the logic in flat out denying that God "could be" so, or true, though, at all...? The very fact is that the truth is that it is, at the very least "might be" or "could very well be"...? Anyways, I don't see how anyone can logically be a strict, strong, Atheist... "Agnostic" perhaps, but not Atheist...

God Bless!

When God inspired (or allowed) the publishing of his word to the masses He ran the 'risk' of some coming to different conclusions than the early scholars. The fact that the Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic can still be studied leads to all sorts of opportunities to reinterpret some scriptures. Science has certainly opened some doors through their study of the creation.

Upvote 0

Doveaman

Re-Created, Not Evolved.
Mar 4, 2009
✟77,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Gap 'Theory' borrows a title that it has neither a right or claim to wear. It really should be renamed as Gap Conjecture, Gap Supposition, Gap Assumption, or at best, Gap Hypothesis.

The term theory, when applied in the sciences, is a body of explanation that has been confirmed via repeated verification against the available evidence.
If only that was true about the Big Bang theory.

But it isn't:

An Open Letter to the Scientific Community

Upvote 0

Doveaman

Re-Created, Not Evolved.
Mar 4, 2009
✟77,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If they are truly committed to a naturalist view then they will not care how old the Earth is and will accept any age determined by science.
It's not that simple. Not all scientists agree on the age of the earth.

Upvote 0