Not in Heaven yet
✟145,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
I didn't know you were a mental health counselor. Have you met with this man to diagnose him?
I have ASD and I'm Schizoaffective. Knowing what that's like, and having read all the information given to me by my doctors, therapists etc etc, and having gone through so much therapy that I might as well have a cot at the place, I can say it SOUNDS like Schizophrenia. And I base that off the article I posted. People that knew of him say he moved to a cabin in the back of the woods, would go on rants, and when you tried to talk to him, he would be all over the place with different topics and none of it would make sense. That's typical of a schizophrenic, and combined with this rampage, I see nothing wrong with saying what I think it sounds like. That's not me diagnosing him so get off my back.

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I didn't know you were a mental health counselor. Have you met with this man to diagnose him?

C'mon Hetta, there's nothing wrong with taking what we know of a person's statements or actions and saying they "sound" like they might have a condistion that we are familiar with. If you posted that your infant was crying, running a temp and tugging at his ear, I'd say it sounds like he has an ear infection. I am not a Doctor and cannot diagnose, but there's no crime in a little educated speculation.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
C'mon Hetta, there's nothing wrong with taking what we know of a person's statements or actions and saying they "sound" like they might have a condistion that we are familiar with. If you posted that your infant was crying, running a temp and tugging at his ear, I'd say it sounds like he has an ear infection. I am not a Doctor and cannot diagnose, but there's no crime in a little educated speculation.
There is a rule on this forum about not dispensing medical advice, so if you told me that you suspected your child had an ear infection, I would suggest that you check with a doctor to obtain a proper diagnosis. How much more true is that of mental health diagnosis? There is a wide variety of mental health problems, and to diagnose a person from just reading about them is astonishing to me - although not surprising, because many of us have predicted for days that this would end up being the "diagnosis" rather than the other option that the guy is a stone cold terrorist, murdering people because he disagrees with some aspect of their lives. My Bachelor's degree is in Psychology, and my Master's degree is in mental health counseling, and I still would not even pretend that I could diagnose a person from a brief police or journalist's report of what he has supposedly said.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I have ASD and I'm Schizoaffective. Knowing what that's like, and having read all the information given to me by my doctors, therapists etc etc, and having gone through so much therapy that I might as well have a cot at the place, I can say it SOUNDS like Schizophrenia. And I base that off the article I posted. People that knew of him say he moved to a cabin in the back of the woods, would go on rants, and when you tried to talk to him, he would be all over the place with different topics and none of it would make sense. That's typical of a schizophrenic, and combined with this rampage, I see nothing wrong with saying what I think it sounds like. That's not me diagnosing him so get off my back.
Having a condition makes you an expert only on your own condition, not that of anyone else. He sounds like an extremist terrorist to me, and that's from reading all of the information given to me by experts in the field of terrorism.

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Having a condition makes you an expert only on your own condition, not that of anyone else. He sounds like an extremist terrorist to me, and that's from reading all of the information given to me by experts in the field of terrorism.
I'm not dispensing medical advice as you cited above. I'm saying what a lunatic sounds like he has. Also, the rule is about giving other members medical advice. Is he a member here and I just don't know it?

He is a terrorist. He's likely a terrorist with a mental illness, which sounds like Schizophrenia.

I know you so, so badly want this to be a perfectly sane white male who is a right-wing, pro-gun, pro-life Christian to feed your agenda, but he is also said to not have spoken of religious beliefs by people that knew him, and they noted his odd behaviors.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I know you so, so badly want this to be a perfectly sane white male who is a right-wing, pro-gun, pro-life Christian to feed your agenda ..
That is your classification. I merely referred to him as a terrorist.
.. but he is also said to not have spoken of religious beliefs by people that knew him, and they noted his odd behaviors.
No doubt the same kind of people who will after an event say of other killers "but he was so quiet. "

Upvote 0

S.ilvio

Jul 16, 2011
Dublin
✟342,032.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
If he's discovered to be sound of mind, I'll eat my hat.

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Well, he did have a cross prominently displayed on his crazy-guy shack, so it isn't unreasonable to speculate that he was a Christian. We'll all know more soon enough.

One thing I'm fairly certain of, our news media and partisan blogosphere's constant, obsessive coverage of certain issues does feed the crazed thoughts of some people who suffer from mental health issues and result in some people resorting to acts of violence who wouldn't have otherwise.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Does anyone consider the mental health issues of the individuals who carried out the Paris attacks or is that just filed under "Islam"?

I suspect that most terrorists suffer from some underlying mental health issue to one extent or another. Of course, the vast majority of people who suffer from mental health issues are not violent and we should all work to destigmatize mental health problems.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I suspect that most terrorists suffer from some underlying mental health issue to one extent or another.
I wondered whether anyone would ever actually come to the point of saying this, or whether Muslims are just assumed to be either "born evil" or "made evil" by their religion. That seems to me to be the overwhelming view of the majority.
Of course, the vast majority of people who suffer from mental health issues are not violent and we should all work to destigmatize mental health problems.
Well of course. That's a vital and major part of my career.

Upvote 0

S.ilvio

Jul 16, 2011
Dublin
✟342,032.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Does anyone consider the mental health issues of the individuals who carried out the Paris attacks or is that just filed under "Islam"?
They could very well be disturbed or drugged, manipulated by those Islamists who convince them to carry out their evil deeds...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Or you could ask that question about the Boston bombers. But I think they never showed any sign of mental illness. According to the news reports, they were college students who were popular and who everyone said seemed normal. One of them even made it onto the cover of RollingStone Magazine. Here's what that cover looked like:

does-rolling-stone-cover-glorify-tsarnaev.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Or you could ask that question about the Boston bombers. But I think they never showed any sign of mental illness. According to the news reports, they were college students who were popular and who everyone said seemed normal. One of them even made it onto the cover of RollingStone Magazine. Here's what that cover looked like:

does-rolling-stone-cover-glorify-tsarnaev.jpg
Neighbors of a few of the Paris attackers said it's scary because the Islamists seemed like completely normal young people. They were all about the party life, booze, and drugs, and the female was big with social media and posted provocative pictures of herself. But they fell to radical Islam.

This man has been described exactly the opposite of the Paris attackers in terms of how people viewed him.

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
This is all exactly why I said that "people who know them said ..." should be completely discredited. Exactly. Everyone is an armchair detectives/psychiatrist these days.
The point is that, according to media reports, there is never any sign of mental illness with the Islamic terrorists before they do an attack. But when it's a non-Muslim act of terror they typically show a lot of warning signs for mental illness beforehand. It doesn't take a detective or psychiatrist to see the obvious.

Upvote 0