LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.
Most of the time gangs get guns illegally. Everyone knows that.

Edit:
Sometimes they get guns because the US government gave them the guns.

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Those guns will never be retrieved. How do thugs get guns? That's where your energy should be spent.

That's easy to answer. They either steal them from legal gun owners or a legal gun owner sells or gives them to them.

So, how do we keep them out of thugs hands?

That's something that people who love their guns are going to have to answer. I don't deal guns.

Reactions: MikeK
Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
You're not being realistic and you speak as if you're out of touch with what the streets are really like in these neighborhoods. We will never rid the streets of guns and frankly, you are literally clueless to what urban street gang gun violence is. It happens so often here, daily, several shootings a day here. Stronger gun control on those who look to buy legally will do nothing getting guns away from thugs. They don't come by guns legally. The problem here is not locking up the criminals that shoot innocent kids and getting the people who live in these neighborhoods to come forward with information. They are too afraid and they do not trust the police. They handle thecrime themselves by going after the thugs themselves. More violence. These are the issues, not the gun itself but a culture of death on the streets of poor urban neighborhoods. Poverty, illness, ect. These are the issues, not gun ownership.

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
That's easy to answer. They either steal them from legal gun owners or a legal gun owner sells or gives them to them.

That's something that people who love their guns are going to have to answer. I don't deal guns.

Great question! The way that we can keep guns out of thugs' hands is to pass the sweeping gun control legislation out Bishops have been calling for. Unfortunately, as you can see from following this thread, there are Catholics who side with our Bishops and there are Catholics who waffle and refuse to call for the life-saving gun control laws that our Church favors. These laws will not end gun violence, but they are a necesarry step toward establishing the most peaceful society possible.

Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

I don't own a gun and would never. There has never been a gun in my home, ever and won't. So who are you talking to? I recognize --because I'm not an idiot --what the real problem is and its not the gun, its the people. Deal with the real issues if you want it to stop. You will never get guns off the street from thugs.

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

So do you think gangs would not have guns if owning them legally were illegal?

Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Great question! The way that we can keep guns out of thugs' hands is to pass the sweeping gun control legislation out Bishops have been calling for. Unfortunately, as you can see from following this thread, there are Catholics who side with our Bishops and there are Catholics who waffle and refuse to call for the life-saving gun control laws that our Church favors. These laws will not end gun violence, but they are a necesarry step toward establishing the most peaceful society possible.
List what the bishops want that is not laws already on the books. Go ahead, I'll wait...

Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
So do you think gangs would not have guns if owning them legally were illegal?

No, I think that every gun in a criminals hands first found itself in the hands of a legal gun owner.

This is a riddle the pro gun lobby has to answer. I divorced myself from gun culture some time ago.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
List what the bishops want that is not laws already on the books. Go ahead, I'll wait...

You can look up their various proposals for yourself, but among them are mandatory background checks on all sales, mandatory registration of all firearms, safe storage laws for legal gun owners, and stronger controls on those firearms most likely to be used in crime or most effective for use in mass shootings.

Unfortunately, some Catholics who worship Earthly politics over the moral teachings of Christ's Church prefer to waffle rather than call for these life-saving pieces of legislation.

Reactions: thehehe
Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I can't help but wonder why people waffle instead of vocally stand with our Church on issues like this. Distract, distract, distract, waffle, waffle, waffle. Why not just vocally demand the pro-life legislation that our Bishops have been calling for?
Do you believe that gangs won't have guns if owning them legally were illegal?

Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There's a black market supplying the guns. These people are delusional.

Nonsense. Anyone can walk into a gun show in Arizona and buy a gun. No questions asked.

Where do you think these guns originated. Black market gun manufacturers?

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Nonsense. Anyone can walk into a gun show in Arizona and buy a gun. No questions asked.

Where do you think these guns originated. Black market gun manufacturers?
How would making guns illegal for everyone to own take the guns out of the hands of gangs? They already have a lot of guns.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
No, I think that every gun in a criminals hands first found itself in the hands of a legal gun owner.

This is a riddle the pro gun lobby has to answer. I divorced myself from gun culture some time ago.

I admire your stance. As you know, I still elect to own firearms, but I also choose to call for stronger gun control laws. Some dishonest people choose to frame the argument as gun rights vs all-out gun bans. We should all rally around our Bishops and their moral position.

Reactions: tadoflamb
Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I admire your stance. As you know, I still elect to own firearms, but I also choose to call for stronger gun control laws. Some dishonest people choose to frame the argument as gun rights vs all-out gun bans. We should all rally around our Bishops and their moral position.
Don't Baltimore and Chicago have strong gun control laws?

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Do you believe that gangs won't have guns if owning them legally were illegal?

I didn't call for making "owning them legally..illegal". I called for the legislation our Church supports. Your argument is with Christ's Holy Bishops, not me.

Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
How would making guns illegal for everyone to own take the guns out of the hands of gangs? They already have a lot of guns.

The legal gun owners from whom they originated from are going to have to answer that one. It's their mess, they can clean it up.

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I didn't call for making "owning them legally..illegal". I called for the legislation our Church supports. Your argument is with Christ's Holy Bishops, not me.
When did I disagree with the bishops? I've only been asking questions about this.

Upvote 0