Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Easy G (G²);60665256 said:
How would Lollipops be non-kosher?
They can contain non-kosher ingredients. I don't know what lollipops consist of, but let's just say there could be gelatin or food dyes (red dye is made from crushed insect shells).

Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
The visual imagery boggles the mind..., somewhere out in the farm lands of america is a farmer milking the beaver glands and selling the excretions for $$$$$$ an ounce... In the help wanted section of the local paper in the job section is ... Help Wanted... Milking beaver butts $45 per hour... part-time work ... once every three months... please call 000-000-0000
LOL.......I wonder what the beavers would think about the whole thing.

Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
You mean like imitation vanilla (to put in baking)?? Uh, cuz I use that...
I don't know how commonly
used BB is anymore....vanillas frequently have an OU on them, so no
worry in that case.

Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
My biggest question is how was this “discovered?” Who was the first one to sniff the behind of a beaver and say, “ya know what? that ain’t bad.. I wonder what it would taste like on toast.”

I've wondered that before about other things.....like who in their right mind would ever think of using this stuff? Especially knowing the purpose that beavers have that little gland....eeeewwwwwww.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
there is a flavoring that comes from "beaver butt", LOL.....some kind of oil that comes from the anal glands of beavers (yuck!). It's used in some vanilla flavorings.

If people only knew the half of what they put in their mouth....
I thought it was a beaver, thanks!

The secretions from the anal glands of beavers is called castor or castoreum. I just don't know of any beaver farms where they are harvesting the secretions from these glands.
Castoreum, that's it! I looked all over the internet and couldn't find it. I could have sworn we discussed this way back years ago on this very forum but couldn't find anything there, thanks for finding that!

The visual imagery boggles the mind..., somewhere out in the farm lands of america is a farmer milking the beaver glands and selling the excretions for $$$$$$ an ounce... In the help wanted section of the local paper in the job section is ... Help Wanted... Milking beaver butts $45 per hour... part-time work ... once every three months... please call 000-000-0000
:D Hilarious!

Although I think I would prefer milking beaver gland as to milking a rattlesnake or cobra for it's venom! :o

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I've wondered that before about other things.....like who in their right mind would ever think of using this stuff? Especially knowing the purpose that beavers have that little gland....eeeewwwwwww.
The only thing I can think of is that someone was skinning one for the pelts (which used to bring very high prices, especially in Lincoln's day when a Beaver hat was a big deal) and maybe hit the sac with the knife and it squirted them and some landed on their lips and they licked and and said, Yum, that pert near taste like Vanilli ice cream! :yum:

:sick::swoon:

:D

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Easy G (G²);60665256 said:
How would Lollipops be non-kosher?
Many candies aren't kosher. One of the main reasons besides the flavorings, are releases ( like in the production of Maple syrup some factories use lard to keep the syrup from sticking), and also shellac.

Yes, that's right, I said shellac. Sure it was something used to make a nice shiny coat on your furniture but it is also used in many candy operations, specifically the final action in the tumbler. It is used to make the candy nice and shiny.

And shellac comes from insects, non kosher ones, it's called a lac beetle and it's like it's spit it uses to glue it's cocoons to tree branches.

That is the reason that Skittles aren't kosher, but other candies too.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I looked it up and from this site that review scents for perfumes, Castoreum by at least one of the reviewers was said to smell like root beer. Scroll down to Asha's review.

I also found this

However, beaver anal juice (castoreum) is not (yet) able to be synthesized and it is still used in foodstuffs. It is most commonly found as a flavor enhancer in raspberry products – apparently it adds a nice rounded flavor. It is also found in chewing gum and cigarettes.

Here

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I looked it up and from this site that review scents for perfumes, Castoreum by at least one of the reviewers was said to smell like root beer. Scroll down to Asha's review.

I also found this

However, beaver anal juice (castoreum) is not (yet) able to be synthesized and it is still used in foodstuffs. It is most commonly found as a flavor enhancer in raspberry products – apparently it adds a nice rounded flavor. It is also found in chewing gum and cigarettes.

Here

Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican

I also found this

Here

Cigarettes? I wonder why they use it in them....you would think there wouldn't be much flavor to enhance. Another reason not to take up smoking.

Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
The only thing I can think of is that someone was skinning one for the pelts (which used to bring very high prices, especially in Lincoln's day when a Beaver hat was a big deal) and maybe hit the sac with the knife and it squirted them and some landed on their lips and they licked and and said, Yum, that pert near taste like Vanilli ice cream! :yum:

:sick::swoon:

:D

Yep, them's good eats!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Chaplain David

CF Chaplain
Nov 26, 2007
USA
✟284,152.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
:)

For those using Vanilla products, this just in from OU, newly certified

Vanilla Products, Inc.
Lancaster, PA

Brand: Vanilla Products Product(s): Exhausted Vanilla Bean Powder, OU
Exhausted Vanilla Bean Seeds, OU
Exhausted Vanilla Beans, OU

Seems like it would taste even better if it wasn't "exhausted" lol.

Reactions: Lulav
Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I found this:

Exhausted vanilla beans are the ground residue of the extraction process. They may still hold some flavor and are added to commercial vanilla ice creams.
So actually it is exhausted, not much left but a bit of flavor, kinda like used coffee grounds? :o

Upvote 0

Chaplain David

CF Chaplain
Nov 26, 2007
USA
✟284,152.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, I don't know what that means, it was just in my email that way, guess I'll have to look it up, the powdered variety sounds good to this gourmet cook. :)
Yeah, several of the countries I've lived in sell Vanilla for cooking primarily in the powdered form. (Denmark, Germany, Italy)

Upvote 0

yedida

Ruth Messianic, joining Israel, Na'aseh v'nishma!
Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yeah, several of the countries I've lived in sell Vanilla for cooking primarily in the powdered form. (Denmark, Germany, Italy)

I've never seen powdered Vanilla, and I used to do a lot of baking. (For health reasons, not so much now.) But whenever I think of powdered anything (outside of the "normal" version), powdered eggs and milk come to mind - uggh!! Not very appetizing!

Upvote 0