USA
✟284,152.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've never seen powdered Vanilla, and I used to do a lot of baking. (For health reasons, not so much now.) But whenever I think of powdered anything (outside of the "normal" version), powdered eggs and milk come to mind - uggh!! Not very appetizing!
Hi Yedida, No this stuff is not like that. It's really good and high quality. Sometimes it is mixed with a little bit of sugar. It's usually sold in packets. In special recipes like ice cream, cutting the vanilla bean in half length-wise and scraping the insides and adding the scrapings is wonderful too. Over here I always get the high quality stuff. The better the quality the better the flavor lol. I'm not big on refined foods.

I pray you are well or as I sometimes say for myself, as well as can be expected.

:groupray:

Shalom

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Many candies aren't kosher. One of the main reasons besides the flavorings, are releases ( like in the production of Maple syrup some factories use lard to keep the syrup from sticking), and also shellac.

Yes, that's right, I said shellac. Sure it was something used to make a nice shiny coat on your furniture but it is also used in many candy operations, specifically the final action in the tumbler. It is used to make the candy nice and shiny.

And shellac comes from insects, non kosher ones, it's called a lac beetle and it's like it's spit it uses to glue it's cocoons to tree branches.

That is the reason that Skittles aren't kosher, but other candies too.
Thanks for letting me know on that one. Yes, I am fully grossed out in finding out my beloved Skittles and other things had those products within them...especially as it concerns the lac beetle. Amazing how they won't explicitly place the sources of ingrediants on the back of the bags so that people know exactly where their food comes from.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Easy G (G²);60678653 said:
Thanks for letting me know on that one. Yes, I am fully grossed out in finding out my beloved Skittles and other things had those products within them...especially as it concerns the lac beetle. Amazing how they won't explicitly place the sources of ingrediants on the back of the bags so that people know exactly where their food comes from.
LOL, if they did their stock of (candies) would go way up as their stock (stock-market) plummeted!

It is a good example, or analogy how we can swallow anything if it's made to taste good and look good without really knowing what it contains. Brings us back to the scene at the Garden of Eden. ;)

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I've never seen powdered Vanilla, and I used to do a lot of baking. (For health reasons, not so much now.) But whenever I think of powdered anything (outside of the "normal" version), powdered eggs and milk come to mind - uggh!! Not very appetizing!
Yeah, I know what you mean about powdered milk. It's fine if that is all you've ever known about milk but if you have the fresh to compare to..........:sick:

My Grandmother was the permanent babysitter for me. So I lived and ate at her house more times than at home. She had fresh milk delivered every day from the dairy up the road, put into a little door my grandfather had made through the wall right next to the refrigerator. This milk was pasteurized, but not homogenized. When you took of the foil cap from the bottle there was a thick cream coating on it. Granny used to let me lick it off sometimes. I loves eating cereal with that milk on it, even if it was just plain corn flakes. Or glasses of cold milk and homemade cookies.

But when I was at home my mother would only have either non fat milk or **gag** powdered milk. Sometimes she mixed them together. ..:sick:

Nowadays I do have powdered milk in the cupboard, but only for baking. I drink organic milk and usually 1-2% as the whole milk is too rich for me, though I like my 1/2 and 1/2 in my coffee. :yum:

I think as far as the vanilla it would be different, as the real taste comes from the seeds of the vanilla orchid plant. Think of it as like spices, cinnamon (bark) allspice (a berry) and you wont' get that gagging picture of the milk or powdered eggs. ;):D

I will have to look online for this, I have a bottle of very expensive Madagascar Vanilla in my baking cupboard right now, but as Sacredote said, the powdered variety can lend itself to new applications the liquid can't. Also the powdered kind would not contain any alcohol either.

For those using what is called 'Vanillian' FYI it comes from wood, a byproduct of the pulp industry.

Upvote 0

Chaplain David

CF Chaplain
Nov 26, 2007
USA
✟284,152.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi Ani, I basically am trying to root all the garbage out of my food.It would be so nice to just be able to get everything Kosher but it would not be affordable. Like one of the things I've switched (my wife just kind of follows my lead because she doesn't know a lot about it) is we buy organic milk and eggs now. They're also antibiotic free and the cows and chickens were raised on good feed. It's expensive though. My good milk costs $5.50 a gal as opposed to the $3.49 for the mass market stuff. The eggs are $4.00 a dozen and the mass market eggs can be under a dollar a dozen. I'm going to keep on plugging away though on little by little, trying to have better products in our larder.

When I was in the military one of the things I was trained for and did for a number of years is quality control on large contracts destined for our troops. We had good standards and it was like pulling teeth to get the various slaughterhouses and other vendors to comply. I can't think of the name of the guy who produced it but there's been a video out for some time called "Food Inc" which gives some pretty good glimpses about how mass production treats the animals, poultry and food we see in the supermarkets.

I hope you and everyone are well (or getting there). God bless you.

Shalom

Upvote 0

xDenax

Jewish
Jul 20, 2009
United States
✟13,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi Ani, I basically am trying to root all the garbage out of my food.It would be so nice to just be able to get everything Kosher but it would not be affordable.

Kosher doesn't grantee there isn't junk in it. ;)

Like one of the things I've switched (my wife just kind of follows my lead because she doesn't know a lot about it) is we buy organic milk and eggs now. They're also antibiotic free and the cows and chickens were raised on good feed. It's expensive though.

Ugh, yeah. I spend about $600-$700 a month at the grocery store for only two adults. I think I'm going to go visit a nearby Farmers Market this evening (plenty of time to shop when Shabbat starts so late) to see what they have and their prices. I know they at least have produce and eggs.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hi Ani, I basically am trying to root all the garbage out of my food.It would be so nice to just be able to get everything Kosher but it would not be affordable. Like one of the things I've switched (my wife just kind of follows my lead because she doesn't know a lot about it) is we buy organic milk and eggs now. They're also antibiotic free and the cows and chickens were raised on good feed. It's expensive though. My good milk costs $5.50 a gal as opposed to the $3.49 for the mass market stuff. The eggs are $4.00 a dozen and the mass market eggs can be under a dollar a dozen. I'm going to keep on plugging away though on little by little, trying to have better products in our larder.

When I was in the military one of the things I was trained for and did for a number of years is quality control on large contracts destined for our troops. We had good standards and it was like pulling teeth to get the various slaughterhouses and other vendors to comply. I can't think of the name of the guy who produced it but there's been a video out for some time called "Food Inc" which gives some pretty good glimpses about how mass production treats the animals, poultry and food we see in the supermarkets.

I hope you and everyone are well (or getting there). God bless you.

Shalom

I do know what you mean. I usually buy Egglands eggs, and the organic milk I bought last night was 3.59 for a half gallon. Thankfully we have a Farmer's market nearby on Sundays that has locally grown veggies that for the most part are organic.

It's even harder when you try to buy food that is Kosher, organic AND gluten free!

Example - regular loaf of bread Store brand white for 22oz is 99c

A loaf of kosher, all natural gluten free white bread for 12 oz is $4.99

Regular white bread is 4 and 1/2cent per oz

VS

Gluten free white bread is .42c per oz

That's roughly 10 times as much!

Last night I was looking for some sliced turkey but they didn't have any. But that kosher lunch meat costs 12.00 a pound. I was happy though when I found a whole cut up chicken that was reduced and on special for $1.99 lb. I got a whole chicken for only 56cent more than I would have paid for 1/2 lb of sliced turkey. Sure I have to cook it, but a pretty big savings. And this chicken I have at my stores (Kosher of course) is also Gluten free, so I don't have to worry about that.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don't bother with the bread. It's too expensive, it's hard as a rock and it doesn't do me any favors nutritionally.
Yes, that used to be the case, but nowadays there's many choices out there, besides making your own, Bob's Red mill carries a wide variety of GF mixes which are kosher.

And then there's my new love, Udi's. GF, and Kosher naturally, their GF products are really tasty. They are the best I've tasted of any GF products.

They make bagels which are better than others, not hard, but crusty and a bit chewy.

Muffins, all their muffins are good, blueberry, lemon, chocolate and cinnamon bun with icing you put on yourself.

Then they have various kinds of breads, all good, especially the Omega Flax and Fiber one, which does have decent nutrition.

But I think the best they do are their rolls.

Hamburger and hot dog rolls that not only taste almost like the real thing but look that way too. I don't know how they figured out how to get that browning crust like a regular roll but they did. They toast up great and really make a hamburger a hamburger and a hot dog a hot dog.

Check them out. Udi's Gluten free they even make granola too. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chunkofcoal

Messianic Christian
Sep 30, 2004
✟83,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I looked it up and from this site that review scents for perfumes, Castoreum by at least one of the reviewers was said to smell like root beer. Scroll down to Asha's review.

I also found this

However, beaver anal juice (castoreum) is not (yet) able to be synthesized and it is still used in foodstuffs. It is most commonly found as a flavor enhancer in raspberry products – apparently it adds a nice rounded flavor. It is also found in chewing gum and cigarettes.

Here

A flavoring? Can you imagine? Little boys would probably eat things containing beaver anal juice just to gross out their sisters! ^_^

"Beaver Butt Juice Gum - the choice of rambunctious boys everywhere!"

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
A flavoring? Can you imagine? Little boys would probably eat things containing beaver anal juice just to gross out their sisters! ^_^

"Beaver Butt Juice Gum - the choice of rambunctious boys everywhere!"
Yup! the grosser the better, all depends on how you market it and to whom your target audience is.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
LOL, if they did their stock of (candies) would go way up as their stock (stock-market) plummeted!

It is a good example, or analogy how we can swallow anything if it's made to taste good and look good without really knowing what it contains. Brings us back to the scene at the Garden of Eden. ;)
Alot of it has gotten darker nowadays, though. For even with others seeking to watch what they eat, companies trying to make that money know that people are looking for certain things...and thus, they'll change the labels of what they have or use differing language that seems similar to what others are used to. It's why many have often complained that many of the products noted to be "organic" as many against the Food Industry say are not really such (more discussed here, here, etc).

Upvote 0