• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

"vowing" to sin

gracealone

Apr 5, 2007
Michigan
✟18,349.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Are you just asking that if you don't follow through on the vow that you are sinning? The wording is a bit confusing.
Anyhow you know your main obsessional fear is that you will make a vow and not keep it, which means that your brain is going drum up a bunch unwanted and intrusive statements with the attached feeling that you are vowing them. Always remember that with OCD if you don't want to think it - you WILL think it. Whenever there is extreme fear associated with the idea of ignoring the pressure to follow though on these intrusive vows that needs to be your clue that you need to ignore them no matter how scary or risky it feels.
Praying for you. Mitzi

Ok, so I know we can't vow to sin, but my OCD has latched on to something else recently. Can we vow something, with the alternative to be a sin?

For example:

I "vow" to do something, if not then it's (insert sin).

Upvote 0

LynaeC

Loved By God
Sep 2, 2013
California
✟7,632.00
Faith
Christian
Hello. I used to struggle with the same exact thing!! OK this is not going to sound encouraging at first but stick with me I promise it will be encouraging! :) haha - but because I was so scared of making a vow the vows just kept getting scarier to me.. because I was so afraid of making a vow and it becoming a sin. But I promise you that God cares and loves you SO MUCH that He see's your struggles and He says give it to me, son.. I paid for it. You don't mean to make those vows, they are struggles that God wants you to just cast on Him! Scripture (1 Peter 5:7) Cast all your cares(anxiety) on Him for He cares(loves) for you!

Before I really understood God's love I would try to ignore the vows but I would be SO scared after! And repeat and repeat forgive me. Well, the encouraging part is that God loves you so much and He is not a God who wants you to be afraid of vows that you don't even want to make... You are FREE. Whom the Son sets free is FREE INDEED. You are LOVED by your Father in heaven. He sent His Holy Spirit to you.. a Helper.. I hope I am getting this across good, I hope I am putting all I want to say together OK enough, haha.

What helped me was to meditate on His love (which is to ponder outloud the scriptures in the bible) Like the scriptures of His love and goodness and forgiveness towards me.
I hope I helped! Be encouraged that you can break free from OCD. :)
And that God is a loving Father who doesn't want you to be afraid..
Have an awesome day, if you would like to talk more about it, I will be happy to talk!
God is your Father, Healer, Savior, Friend. :)

Upvote 0

gtp40

May 14, 2006
✟15,248.00
Faith
Christian
Thanks for the replies!

I wanted to clarify what I am worried about, looks like I didn't do too good a job of explaining it.

Ok, so, when I first started having issues with vows, I would seem to make very simple vows, and of course I was worried that not doing them was a sin. An example:

• Vowing to buy a product at the store
If you don't do this vow, then you are sinning by not doing what you vowed to God.

What I am worried about now is different. I know we can not vow to sin, so for example, these vows would not be binding:

• A vow to hurt somebody
  • A vow to worship the devil if you did or didn't do something
I'm not worried about those, because I know those vows are sins in the first place, and God will not hold you to sin.

So, now what I am worried about, is something similar to the second one above, for example:

• A vow to paint the walls, and if you don't you worship the devil
So basically, you "vow" to do something which isn't a sin (for example painting the walls) but if you DON'T do what you "vowed" by not painting, then you are worshiping the devil. Now, I'm assuming that it is the same thing of God not holding you to sin, but I am still having anxiety about it.

Upvote 0

LynaeC

Loved By God
Sep 2, 2013
California
✟7,632.00
Faith
Christian
Don't worry, God does not hold you to any of those vows because you don't mean it and you don't like it. Rest in this love and freedom from your Father. :)

And you can simply say, "No, My Father loves me and knows that I do not mean that, He does not hold me to that vow. I am free!!" :)

He loves you so much. It will be a process to get to know His love and get rid of all of the fears but it is so worth it. You are loved.

Upvote 0