• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

What happened?

Harley.

Jul 5, 2022
Us
✟43,870.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So I have OCD, growing up I had the typical "If you dont do that 4 more times X will happen" kind. But over the years it has morphed its way through many different styles.
However something weird happened today. I looked over at my second screen and saw somebody in my contacts and had a instant thought "if you dont do X before they message you Y will happen". I decided to follow through for some reason and attempted to do X, but literally 10 seconds later I get a message from them. OUT OF NOWHERE. There was no way I could have known they were messaging me or anything, just out of NOWHERE. What even happened? Was this demons trying to mess with me knowing they were messaging me? Coincidence? Like what was this???

• Prayers
Reactions: AlexB23

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟81,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So I have OCD, growing up I had the typical "If you dont do that 4 more times X will happen" kind. But over the years it has morphed its way through many different styles.
However something weird happened today. I looked over at my second screen and saw somebody in my contacts and had a instant thought "if you dont do X before they message you Y will happen". I decided to follow through for some reason and attempted to do X, but literally 10 seconds later I get a message from them. OUT OF NOWHERE. There was no way I could have known they were messaging me or anything, just out of NOWHERE. What even happened? Was this demons trying to mess with me knowing they were messaging me? Coincidence? Like what was this???
You have posted this before, but I will try to help you. Harley, I'm sorry to hear that you have experienced Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) for a long time, and it has taken different forms throughout your life. I have a different type of OCD, and it can be a struggle sometimes. It's essential to understand that OCD is a mental health condition characterized by recurring and intrusive thoughts, images, or urges that cause distress and anxiety. These thoughts can lead to compulsive behaviors as an attempt to alleviate the discomfort.

Regarding your recent experience, it's important not to jump to conclusions about supernatural or demonic influences based on a single event. Instead, let's consider some possible explanations from both a secular psychological perspective and relevant Bible verses.

From a psychological standpoint, the experience you described may be related to the OCD thought pattern of "if-then" or "what if" thinking. These thoughts can lead to compulsive behaviors as an attempt to prevent imagined negative consequences. The unexpected message from your contact may have reinforced the belief that following through with X prevented Y, further perpetuating the cycle of OCD thoughts and behaviors.

Now, let's turn to some Bible verses that might provide comfort and guidance in dealing with anxiety and fear:

1. Philippians 4:6-7 – "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

2. 1 John 4:4 – "You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world."

3. Matthew 6:25-34 – "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life? “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

4. Isaiah 41:10 – "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."

Remember, Harley, that you're not alone in dealing with anxiety and fear. Seek professional or pastoral help if needed, and lean on your faith and the support of your community. God is always with you, and His peace will help guard your heart and mind during challenging times.

Upvote 0

Harley.

Jul 5, 2022
Us
✟43,870.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You have posted this before, but I will try to help you. Harley, I'm sorry to hear that you have experienced Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) for a long time, and it has taken different forms throughout your life. I have a different type of OCD, and it can be a struggle sometimes. It's essential to understand that OCD is a mental health condition characterized by recurring and intrusive thoughts, images, or urges that cause distress and anxiety. These thoughts can lead to compulsive behaviors as an attempt to alleviate the discomfort.

Regarding your recent experience, it's important not to jump to conclusions about supernatural or demonic influences based on a single event. Instead, let's consider some possible explanations from both a secular psychological perspective and relevant Bible verses.

From a psychological standpoint, the experience you described may be related to the OCD thought pattern of "if-then" or "what if" thinking. These thoughts can lead to compulsive behaviors as an attempt to prevent imagined negative consequences. The unexpected message from your contact may have reinforced the belief that following through with X prevented Y, further perpetuating the cycle of OCD thoughts and behaviors.

Now, let's turn to some Bible verses that might provide comfort and guidance in dealing with anxiety and fear:

1. Philippians 4:6-7 – "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

2. 1 John 4:4 – "You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world."

3. Matthew 6:25-34 – "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life? “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

4. Isaiah 41:10 – "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."

Remember, Harley, that you're not alone in dealing with anxiety and fear. Seek professional or pastoral help if needed, and lean on your faith and the support of your community. God is always with you, and His peace will help guard your heart and mind during challenging times.
Idk how you keep finding my posts, but I tend to write them when im in a state of panic, and then look back later and think about how stupid it was. What I listed above is very obviously not how God works. It is either a coincidence or at worst, just the devil having some fun with me.

That being said, you still took the time to read and then send a detailed response to my question.

I hope to shake your hand one day on the new earth, sir. God bless you.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟81,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Idk how you keep finding my posts, but I tend to write them when im in a state of panic, and then look back later and think about how stupid it was. What I listed above is very obviously not how God works. It is either a coincidence or at worst, just the devil having some fun with me.

That being said, you still took the time to read and then send a detailed response to my question.

I hope to shake your hand one day on the new earth, sir. God bless you.
Well, to be honest, I check the new posts, and look for your name, as I want to help you through your OCD. Man, we should be friends bro. And yes, I would love to shake your hand when we meet in Heaven, whenever that may be. No matter what, I will always try to respond to your questions. I did have to ask a software installed on my laptop to find the right verses though, cos I am not good with all the verses.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟81,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If u got insta, heck yeah! Or discord! I can dm u my handles!
I have discord. I use it with my few friends that I have, cos my friends play video games. I do not, except classics at the local $15 arcade from time to time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟455,420.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Maybe you could seek help from some minister. Or at least go to a good church were they do deliverance.
If we are a child of God, is a 'crime' and a waste of time we let the devil mistreat us without trying to get the freedom Jesus bought us.
Its a tricky subject even in a christian forum, but i was free of 'hammering intrusive thoughts' that disturbed me greatly with deliverance.

Upvote 0