ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
Originally posted by Evangelion
See here.

And just for the record, I do support a war on Iraq.

A regime change is definitely in order. :cool:

And the US has such a good record of overthrowing a governement of another country and establishing a better government for them, huh?

Upvote 0

Doctrine1st

Official nitwit
Oct 11, 2002
Seattle
Visit site
✟12,523.00
Faith
Politics
US-Others
The situation in Afghanistan is far from settled, as usual we have liberated them from one group of nuts, to our "nuts of the moment" and per history destined to be our, "future pain in the ___" As we did with both Osama and Saddam.

It's kind of like when the police depends on one rat to help them do away with another rat, but soon, that rat they helped then soons become the pain and they again seek the help of another rat, and the cycle continues.

Happy Holidays, Doctrine1st

Upvote 0

fin

Oct 20, 2002
Visit site
✟609.00
Germany and Japan are excelent examples of what the US can do when it tries to be helpful. In third world countries, however, the US doesn't try and assist the economy and the average person. It is much easier for the US to support another dictator who assists the US in turn for its support.

Someone gave the example of Afghanistan. It is too early to determine if the US has helped, but the short term affects on the poor have been negative. The poor have come out of the war in a worse position than they were in before.

Vietnam would be another great example of US military involvment. I am speaking of before the Vietnam war. Vietnam was then a colony of France and was fighting for independence. The US sided with France, of course. When France was beaten, the US supported a man named Diem, one of the most brutal dictators in the world. Later, during the Vietnam war we supported a General who had fought with the French against Vietnam in its battle for independence. The General was even quoted as saying that Hitler was a great hero.

I have no confidence that US involvment in Iraq will help the people of that country.

Upvote 0

David Gould

Pearl Harbor sucked. WinAce didn't.
May 28, 2002
Canberra, Australia
Visit site
✟29,118.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
AU-Labor
I hope that it will turn out well, although I have my fears. I hope that the aid promised finally gets through to the people in full so that the rebuilding can begin in earnest. This winter in Afghanistan, even in the capital Kabul, looks as though it will be pretty grim, though.

I think that Germany and Japan are excellent models for the way that any post invasion Iraq government should be set up.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Doctrine1st

Official nitwit
Oct 11, 2002
Seattle
Visit site
✟12,523.00
Faith
Politics
US-Others
Originally posted by seebs
Yeah, I mean, look at how much trouble we've had with Germany and Japan since WWII. Those meddling idiots! The Americans will never learn.

I guess in such a short time frame you forgot why we were in Afghanistan? That rat we propted up and supported in power, Bin Laden and the Taliban is still around, it was not our goal to liberate those of Afghansitan, we meant to exterminate those in power and much of his organization is still intact, including the ones still here someplace in America.

Happy holidays, D1st

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Originally posted by seebs
Yeah, I mean, look at how much trouble we've had with Germany and Japan since WWII. Those meddling idiots! The Americans will never learn.

Not that I necessarily disagree with this, but I thought I'd point out that Germany and Japan, while wearied by war, were both modernized, urban, and industrial powerhouses. They were quickly able to adapt to a new system because of this. Iraq is neither modern or industrialized to the same extent, so they might face more trouble. Hence we get the difference between helping out a first world country and helping out a third world country. The former is easy, while the latter, as history proves, is not.

Upvote 0