Salt Lake City
✟2,992.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The separating of sheep and goats applies to the Church. The nations are not nation-states, but peoples. The Church is comprised of people from all nations or ethne.

The judgment described in Matthew 25 is part of a series of things Jesus says concerning being a faithful servant in the Olivet Discourse. It begins earlier in Matthew 24:45, this goes on to include two parables, the Parable of the Ten Virgins and the Parable of the Talents, both involve being watchful and faithful concerning the Lord's return. The description of Judgment follows this; the ones being judged are those who call Christ Lord, when we as Christians stand before our Lord's Throne the Lord is going to ask us how we treated the least of these. How we treat the least of these is central to what it means to be a faithful servant of Christ.

If you haven't, I'd encourage you to read these things in context. Because your interpretations do not follow the context of the Scriptures you reference.

Again, in St. John's Apocalypse which you refer to, it is part of the message given to the Church in Thyatira,

"But to the rest of you in Thyatira, who do not hold this teaching, who have not learned what some call the deep things of Satan, to you I say, I do not lay on you any other burden. Only hold fast what you have until I come. The one who conquers and who keeps My works until the end, to him I will give authority over the nations, and he will rule them with a rod of iron, as when earthen pots are broken in pieces, even as I myself have received authority from My Father." - Revelation 2:24-27

The context is the troublesome preaching of a false prophet, simply named "Jezebel" here, whom many have been swayed into following in Thyatira. However, those who have not, those who remain faithful and keep on enduring, Jesus promises what all who are His are promised: To rule and reign with Him.

There's absolutely nothing about Jesus choosing good countries and bad countries, and giving special blessings to good countries. This is about the Day of Judgment, when you and I, who profess faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, must stand and give answer to the way we lived our lives; for not all who say "Lord, Lord" are His. As those called, summoned by Christ, to take up our cross, to suffer in and with and for Him as His disciples, we have a sworn obligation to follow the Lord, and to follow and abide in Him and what He has said and given us.

So, we are taught, that how we treat the least of these shall be regarded with so great a priority on the Day of Judgment. We cannot rest on our laurels thinking we are good and righteous because we merely call Jesus Lord; faith is not empty words, but a life of contrition, devotion, and confession. We have nothing to offer God except the empty hands of a beggar, and God having so immensely blessed us with the very righteousness of Christ, that in His super-abundance of grace He saves us, redeems us, and set upon us the work of sanctification. For having nothing to offer, God so loves us, and saves us, and grants us faith to trust and believe. And having received these things, we are called with a singular calling: to follow Jesus Christ, toward the cross. And to aim ourselves toward that cross, taking that journey step-by-step, we are invited through myriad opportunities to show faithfulness:

Aa person curses me, I shall bless in return; a person injures me, I shall forgive and love them; a person persecutes me, I shall pray for them, not only shall I pray for their repentance, I shall pray for good fortune upon them that they may be blessed. When I am struck on the one cheek, I shall not respond in kind; but rather turn and offer the other cheek, remembering that Christ, when struck and beaten, did not retaliate but rather endured with patience, humility, and love for His suffering was for our sake and God is found not in power but weakness. Our lives shall be, as St. Paul taught, as living sacrifices that our every activity with our body shall be pleasing to God, offered in sacrifice and servant-hood in love toward others. That we shall not be, as St. Paul also says, conformed to the ways of this present fallen disorder of a world, harboring and loving the power and glory of this disordered mess; but instead be transformed by the renewing of our mind; to therefore take upon ourselves the mind of Christ, His disposition and way: even though He was very and true God, did not exploit His equality with God but instead gave Himself up entirely, taking on the form of a slave, bearing every weakness of being human, and even enduring the total humiliation and shame of the cross.

For to live is Christ and to die is gain.
I am, therefore, sworn to total and unyielding allegiance to Jesus Christ and His cross. And no other power or glory is permitted any part of me, for I am entirely and wholly the property of Jesus Christ the Son of God.

-CryptoLutheran
I have trouble completely believing in this. I believe it is up to the individual, but nation by nation judgement is delivered. It's everyone's responsibility to help their country in righteousness as much as they can. If your whole nation sins, then I guess the alternative is to leave it. This can be seen throughout history as Israel became guilty of killing Jesus, America and the Civil War, the French Revolution, Germany and the Holocaust, Russia and the Communist Revolution, etc. All of these nations had a government, and this government rests on the shoulders of Jesus Christ. Which types of governments will be worthy for the next world?

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I have trouble completely believing in this.

Is there somewhere in my reasoning or exegesis that you find I have erred?

I believe it is up to the individual, but nation by nation judgement is delivered. It's everyone's responsibility to help their country in righteousness as much as they can. If your whole nation sins, then I guess the alternative is to leave it. This can be seen throughout history as Israel became guilty of killing Jesus, America and the Civil War, the French Revolution, Germany and the Holocaust, Russia and the Communist Revolution, etc. All of these nations had a government, and this government rests on the shoulders of Jesus Christ. Which types of governments will be worthy for the next world?

I want you to consider this fact: Almost all of the New Testament was written when Nero was emperor in Rome. Read the New Testament with that in mind.

And, just so there's full clarity, Nero was the guy who covered us in pitch, and hung us in his imperial gardens--lit on fire to light up said gardens; and who is reportedly someone who took pleasure in hearing the sounds of agony from those tortured and killed. And in a great deal of likelihood, Nero is also Mr. 666 himself as mentioned in the Revelation.

And just to answer the final question, no governments are worthy of the next world. Thank God.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Laeomis

Site Supporter
Feb 25, 2024
Salt Lake City
✟2,992.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is there somewhere in my reasoning or exegesis that you find I have erred?

I want you to consider this fact: Almost all of the New Testament was written when Nero was emperor in Rome. Read the New Testament with that in mind.

And, just so there's full clarity, Nero was the guy who covered us in pitch, and hung us in his imperial gardens--lit on fire to light up said gardens; and who is reportedly someone who took pleasure in hearing the sounds of agony from those tortured and killed. And in a great deal of likelihood, Nero is also Mr. 666 himself as mentioned in the Revelation.

And just to answer the final question, no governments are worthy of the next world. Thank God.

-CryptoLutheran
Yes, I disagree with your view but I don't think it matters. As long as you are sincere for your love of God, then all things will work out no matter our differences in interpretation (Romans 8:28).

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Were also not looking for a war with China.
Nor are they looking for one with us. It would be an economic Pearl Harbor for them if we stopped trading with them.

• Agree
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

7thKeeper

Scion of the Devonian Sea
Jul 8, 2006
Finland
✟108,803.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Nor are they looking for one with us. It would be an economic Pearl Harbor for them if we stopped trading with them.
Especially during a time when their construction industry is in the manure that it is in right now.

Upvote 0