Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Were buildings named with that quote? Statues erected to its honor and remembrance? Those who thought that a bad idea said to be erasing history?
Just as I thought, justifying a racist statement. Hypocrites.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟326,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Then it can also be said that it is not your right to forgive or not forgive. That right has always been with those who experienced it.
I never said that I forgave them (or didn't). All I said is that we should not be naming things after them or memorializing them with statues.
We even kept some relics from the Portuguese like the A Famosa in present day Malacca. In fact we are proud to have it around and we maintain it well.
And we keep quite a few relics around from the Civil War. For example, most of the major battlefields are historic parks with memorials to soldiers on both sides of the conflict (largely placed by veterans and their families). That's an appropriate place for such things.

The statues that people object to, the schools that were named after Confederate generals, that was mostly done in the early to mid 20th century (1920s-1960s) as a reflection of the racism existing in society at the time. There's no cultural or historical relevance to it - at least nothing worth celebrating.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

May 12, 2011
PA
✟326,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Just as I thought, justifying a racist statement. Hypocrites.
No, pointing out the problems with your attempt at whataboutism.
I just thought of something. I know the real reason for the outrage is because the buildings and monuments are in red states.
Uh, no. Try again.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,277,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
But it happened, statues were built. Why not destroy everything from our horrid past all the way to Columbus, so today's kids can make themselves feel better about themselves?

Why keep statues just to make racists feel better?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟35,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

May 12, 2011
PA
✟326,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Don't call me a racist Please! Because I don't believe the way you do. That happens a lot these days.
I did not call you a racist. Unless you were calling me one and took my reflection of your comment as reciprocation?

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,209,213.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Don't call me a racist Please! Because I don't believe the way you do.
But you get to call everyone else hypocrites for having the temerity to disagree with you?

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟35,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟35,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But you get to call everyone else hypocrites for having the temerity to disagree with you?
No It's not about disagreeing with me. The whole conversation is about our racist ancestors and the outrage because of it. When a person in the 21st century makes a racist comment there is no outrage. That is being a hypocrite.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,209,213.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
No It's not about disagreeing with me. The whole conversation is about our racist ancestors and the outrage because of it. When a person in the 21st century makes a racist comment there is no outrage. That is being a hypocrite.
In what way is it hypocritical to oppose naming public schools in the US after those who made war on the US? Where’s the double standard?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟35,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In what way is it hypocritical to oppose naming public schools in the US after those who made war in the US? Where’s the double standard?
Those people in the South who made war with the North were people racists who desired slavery. Then a 21st-century candidate makes a racist comment with no outrage. That is the double standard.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟35,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I did not call you a racist. Unless you were calling me one and took my reflection of your comment as reciprocation?
Play word games. You did not disagree with Fire so what am I to think? You jumped on his bandwagon.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

May 12, 2011
PA
✟326,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Since I think statues should be kept, I'm called a racist by Fire, I laughed. Then you say I have to think about it. I did.
I don't think he was calling you a racist either - you made a sweeping, somewhat insulting, generalization by claiming that the only reason why people want the statues removed was so that "kids can feel better about themselves". He flipped your assertion around. That's what I wanted you to think about.

Upvote 0