Views on the Eastern and Western Catholic Churches?

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,733.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Yeshua

I really really am getting very tired of this - this is harassment .

Precisely what you are hoping to achieve by your constant selective quoting of my posts , I do not know.

You keep harping back to post #39 where I posted [ and I'm quoting this in full to remind people of what I said and the way I said it ] This is not in a quote box as I do not wish there to be any change in the way it was originally posted. Please note also that unlike your post above [#59] it has never been edited in any shape or form.
Let this be very very clearly understood Yeshua

I have never stated , and I will never state, that I am in Communion with Orthodoxy.

I am NOT a member of the Latin Church and never have been. I am a member of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church .

TAW has been my home forum ever since I joined CF in 2005.

I respect Orthodoxy too much to post anything against the Orthodox Churches and their beliefs and praxis and I never will .

That post actually does not state that either I am , or am not , in Communion with Orthodoxy - it does however state that I have never said that I am .

Now will you please stop telling me what you think I am. No-one here ,other than yourself, seem to be labouring under any misconceptions about my religious affiliation. To my knowledge all TAW members know and realise that I am a member of the UGCC - that is written under my user name for all to see.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
right, which shows a lack of dogmatic consistency. this shows how much sway one man has unfortunately, and many RC just pretend whatever the Pope has said is what the RC Church has always taught. the past number of Popes have been very East friendly, which is great. however, that has not always been the case.

what happens when/if a Pope comes along who reverts back to the Orthodox being heretical and such?
Due to the issue of honor for the See of Rome becoming over-emphasized to the point where it can often be a matter of going with the trend, the danger of changing seas in treatment is ever-present.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Yeshua

I really really am getting very tired of this - this is harassment .

Precisely what you are hoping to achieve by your constant selective quoting of my posts , I do not know.

You keep harping back to post #39 where I posted [ and I'm quoting this in full to remind people of what I said and the way I said it ] This is not in a quote box as I do not wish there to be any change in the way it was originally posted. Please note also that unlike your post above [#59] it has never been edited in any shape or form.
Let this be very very clearly understood Yeshua

I have never stated , and I will never state, that I am in Communion with Orthodoxy.

I am NOT a member of the Latin Church and never have been. I am a member of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church .

TAW has been my home forum ever since I joined CF in 2005.

I respect Orthodoxy too much to post anything against the Orthodox Churches and their beliefs and praxis and I never will .

That post actually does not state that either I am , or am not , in Communion with Orthodoxy - it does however state that I have never said that I am .

Now will you please stop telling me what you think I am. No-one here ,other than yourself, seem to be labouring under any misconceptions about my religious affiliation. To my knowledge all TAW members know and realise that I am a member of the UGCC - that is written under my user name for all to see.

I am sorry you feel I am "harassing" you. It was my understanding from what you wrote that the UGCC was not in communion with the Orthodox Church but was in communion with the church of Rome. Is this correct or not? This all started when you asked why I was asking an Orthodox christian a question instead of an EC, so I asked you. I am just trying to clarify your position and my understanding of it.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
"She noted directly where she was NOT a member of the Latin Church - but you came to insist she was in communion with the Church of Rome."

I guess some people can and do define "member" and "in communion" differently? Point taken.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Gxg (G²);66332573 said:
Due to the issue of honor for the See of Rome becoming over-emphasized to the point where it can often be a matter of going with the trend, the danger of changing seas in treatment is ever-present.

that's not the issue, the issue is that the dogmas have been changed. that Eastern Catholics and Orthodox in certain councils are condemned, but since the words of modern Popes say otherwise, it's as if those councils never existed, even though to my knowledge, there has been no refutation of those councils, which a Pope can easily do (although it would kinda throw the whole infallibility thing and that Rome is the unchanging Church out the window).

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
that's not the issue, the issue is that the dogmas have been changed. that Eastern Catholics and Orthodox in certain councils are condemned, but since the words of modern Popes say otherwise, it's as if those councils never existed, even though to my knowledge, there has been no refutation of those councils, which a Pope can easily do (although it would kinda throw the whole infallibility thing and that Rome is the unchanging Church out the window).
It actually isn't the dogma so much as remembrance of what has already been said - seeing that condemnation was reversed at differing points and many did not keep up with the updates. When modern Popes speak counter to the condemnation, it is not (nor has it ever been) as if they alone had the power to change the way people see things. The lack of awareness among the lay people often influences a lot of things - and for many who stay because they wish to honor the See of Rome, it is indeed an issue.

As another noted elsewhere on the issue (for verification):
What would your opinions be of a Roman Catholic, who decided to switch rites to that of an Eastern Catholic Church?

When I tell people I am currently in that process I get some odd looks, and some disapproving comments. What are your thoughts on this? Sometimes I almost feel like an outcast, especially when I am away at school (I'm probably the only Eastern Catholic on campus).
If you're switching because of some kind of hatred for the modern day Roman Rite, then that would be something unacceptable. If you're switching because of your undeniable love for the liturgical style and way of doing things in the various Eastern Rites, then that's something else.

Anyone who derides you for it due to their sense of superiority of the Roman Rite is in direct contradiction to the various Papal Bulls which declared that all the Rites of the Catholic Church were equal in grace and authenticity as such none are superior nor inferior.

I myself have been wanting to switch to the ones associated with the See of Antioch, unfortunately, the country I currently reside do not have any Eastern Rites at all so I'm out of luck. I was actually going to join the Catholic Church through the Byzantine Rite, but ended up with the Roman Rite due to the proximity of the Church at the time (Canada).

I have no hatred towards the Western Rites, I just went to a Eucharistic Adoration and am joining a Roman Catholic bible study....things that someone bitter towards the latin rite would not do. The main reason I am in the process of "going byzantine" is because of my love for the Eastern Traditions, and what I feel is a worship style that connects with me much more spiritually.
Though the truth of the matter is that I love the Eastern traditions, I love the way that the faith is practiced.

I also love the Catholic Church, the church of my forefathers, and a beacon of light in our ever secularizing world

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It actually isn't the dogma so much as remembrance of what has already been said - seeing that condemnation was reversed at differing points and many did not keep up with the updates. When modern Popes speak counter to the condemnation, it is not (nor has it ever been) as if they alone had the power to change the way people see things. The lack of awareness among the lay people often influences a lot of things - and for many who stay because they wish to honor the See of Rome, it is indeed an issue.

As another noted elsewhere on the issue (for verification):

they do not have the power to change the way people see things. they do, however, have the power to define Catholic dogma (according to Papal Infallibility). Rome also claims to be the unchanging Church, who has been free from dogmatic errors. if they are free of dogmatic errors, there can be no dogmatic contradictions. if the Eastern Churches (both EO and EC) are considered correct, then there are dogmatic errors.

Upvote 0