Views on the Eastern and Western Catholic Churches?

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
ArmyMatt, just wondering if so, then why do they stay? Cultural? Why not just become Orthodox?

that is a good question, and I would ask them. personally, and I mean this as no offense, I have yet to get an answer from my EC friends as to why they are EC and not EO that makes any sense to my alleged noggin.

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,430.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
As I always say - I'm not ready to 'dox :)

Something - that inexplicable 'something' holds me back - and I'm pretty certain that ECs who were originally RC [ Latin Catholic] will say something along the lines of , they wish to remain in Communion with the Holy Father.

What will be interesting to see is , should the unimaginable happen in Ukraine and the UGCC is either wiped out or goes underground again, what our Hierarchs will do.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
As I always say - I'm not ready to 'dox :)

Something - that inexplicable 'something' holds me back - and I'm pretty certain that ECs who were originally RC [ Latin Catholic] will say something along the lines of , they wish to remain in Communion with the Holy Father.

Which is what I originally said...if in communion with the Roman pope, you are a member of the church of Rome. :)

Upvote 0
S

Soma Seer

I'm NOT - I am a member of the UGCC which is in Communion with the Catholic Church.

And frankly this is not going to take us anywhere

Oh, no... I did not intend for my OP to cause an discord amongst EO and EC believers. :(

Together, we experience this crazy school-house of a world and must have a meeting of the minds if we're to bring forth Heaven on earth. Please, be at peace with one another. :groupray:

SS

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,430.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
SS - you are not to blame for this - don't worry :)

I can't answer for what was originally known as the Ruthenian Catholic Church [ which has now renamed itself the Byzantine Church of America ] but they also are Greek Catholic . It is often understood that because the UGCC was forced underground in Ukraine for some years [ sadly this is a very dark time in the history of Ukraine ] and many people were forced into Orthodoxy , it is possible that at some time in the future we will possibly return to our roots - the Orthodox Church.

Upvote 0

GoingByzantine

Seeking the Narrow Road
Site Supporter
Jun 19, 2013
✟92,845.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I have to jump into this one.

I constantly try to tell people that Roman Catholicism and Eastern Orthodoxy are not the same. Protestants especially, are guilty of making this association. I believe Eastern Orthodox are correct in their assertion that mainline Protestantism and Roman Catholicism are closer to each other than Eastern Orthodoxy and Roman Catholicism. The Eastern way is much different, the theology has developed much differently. Eastern Catholics and Orthodox are notably much closer to each other.

There seems to be much bad blood between EO and ECC. I don't necessarily want to comment on this, because it will simply lead to fighting. The Eastern Orthodox on this forum have all been very kind to me, even praying for me when I had a health scare. What is often forgotten in these spats is that both Eastern Orthodox and Eastern Catholics have been suppressed by Western Christianity, and in that we have a commonality with each other. Many Latin Catholics view us as an interesting little quirk, even though we should be treated as equals with Roman Catholics. Even today, many Eastern Catholic Churches are forbidden to have married priests in the United States...because the Latin bishops think it would cause confusion.

All that being said, I still chose to remain in communion with Rome, because I still believe in the oneness of the Catholic Church.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I'm NOT - I am a member of the UGCC which is in Communion with the Catholic Church.

And frankly this is not going to take us anywhere

If you are in communion with the church of Rome then you adhere to its theology and follow their tenets. You must remember that the Orthodox church is Catholic and has always been. The church of Rome was but one patriarchate within it until the schism when it expanded its reach beyond its borders.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I have to jump into this one.

I constantly try to tell people that Roman Catholicism and Eastern Orthodoxy are not the same. Protestants especially, are guilty of making this association. I believe Eastern Orthodox are correct in their assertion that mainline Protestantism and Roman Catholicism are closer to each other than Eastern Orthodoxy and Roman Catholicism. The Eastern way is much different, the theology has developed much differently.

All that being said, I still chose to remain in communion with Rome, because I still believe in the oneness of the Catholic Church.

The church of Rome was IMO the first protestant church...with all other s springing forth from their mother, the church of Rome. If anyone has preserved the oneness of the Church, it is the Orthodox Church!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Yeshua

I understand far more than you think I do about Orthodoxy . Please do not try and tell me how I should practice and what I should believe as a member of the UGCC .

I do not need to, you have already said that you are in communion with Rome...

Upvote 0

GoingByzantine

Seeking the Narrow Road
Site Supporter
Jun 19, 2013
✟92,845.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
If you are in communion with the church of Rome then you adhere to its theology and follow their tenets. You must remember that the Orthodox church is Catholic and has always been. The church of Rome was but one patriarchate within it until the schism when it expanded its reach beyond its borders.

If I were you I would look up the theological differences between the RCC and the UGCC. Then you will see that it is not the same.

Start with the Union of Brest, and work from there.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
If I were you I would look up the theological differences between the RCC and the UGCC. Then you will see that it is not the same.

Start with the Union of Brest, and work from there.

I do not need to, she has already stated that she is in communion with Rome. She is not in communion with the Orthodox Catholic Church...

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,430.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Let this be very very clearly understood Yeshua

I have never stated , and I will never state, that I am in Communion with Orthodoxy.

I am NOT a member of the Latin Church and never have been. I am a member of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church .

TAW has been my home forum ever since I joined CF in 2005.

I respect Orthodoxy too much to post anything against the Orthodox Churches and their beliefs and praxis and I never will .

Upvote 0

GoingByzantine

Seeking the Narrow Road
Site Supporter
Jun 19, 2013
✟92,845.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I do not need to, she has already stated that she is in communion with Rome. She is not in communion with the Orthodox Catholic Church...

Just because there is a communion between two groups does not mean we agree with each other on all things. This is evident within the Orthodox Communion as well, does the Russian Orthodox Church agree 100% with the Church of Constantinople?

Upvote 0