Update on Fr. John Corapi

Status
Not open for further replies.

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
That may be the case, but in Corapi's case there is just too much that is fishy for him to be innocent. His refusal to co operate with the investigation, his living on his own outside of community or church discipline, his payment of $100,000 to keep the woman (and other employees) quiet, his running a for profit enterprise that has brought him great wealth, his refusal to obey his religious superiors and most of all his public renunciation of his priestly ministry---all this is too much.​

EXACTLY

I know.

Reactions: isshinwhat
Upvote 0

JoabAnias

Steward of proportionality- I Cor 13:1, 1 Tim 3:15
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
He wasn't the abused one. His order has ordered him back into community under obedience.

Though it doesn't look good, there is no way to know that for sure yet. He could very well be a victim of calumny by a disgruntled and hostile false witness. We have no irrefutable proof either way yet.

Upvote 0

JoabAnias

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But I don't believe John Corapi......for a second. IT was really obvious he's a liar when the SOLT statement came out.

I thought that too, at first. Then I read his answer, and it made sense.

What specifically did he say that was a lie? Please support your impression with some form of reasoning.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JoabAnias

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is a truth that is unholy, though it be perfectly true, depending upon whose lips it comes from. As we know, Satan quoted truth from the scriptures when he tempted Jesus. Yesterday's gospel was a timely reminder, where Our Lord told the apostles that if a house did not receive their words, to shake the proverbial dust and get their boots a-walking! ;) By way of teaching discernment, He said their peace would return to them if the house was unworthy.

Truly spiritual persons can detect the serpent's tail with an ease and frequency that is remarkably accurate. Truth being narrated is not the requisite for belief, as if words alone had power to influence. Rather, the narrator's tone is evident underlying the words.

Father Michael Scanlon spoke so beautifully to end the Franciscan University presentation yesterday. It is the Holy Spirit bearing witness in our hearts and lifting us to realms of inspiration that bring light, peace, wisdom, comfort, joy. When the words we encounter bring the spirit into disgust as we touch upon their condescension, arrogance, condemnation, and contempt, although they be written in truth, it is the unmistakable mark of the enemy.

Its become clearly apparent in all the opinions that the author of lies is a master of deception and many fall for them. He uses us to tear each other down. He will take what ever disorder he can muster. Every time I see someone tricked into a "presumption" (which leads to rash judgment and then detraction and calumny) of lies or deceit without any concrete solid evidence I see the enemies nastiness at work. Adversely, I believe I already see one good fruit God will allow from this catastrophe, and that will be the edification of the faithful to a better discernment of spirits. Hopefully a little prudence over rash judgment and caution against presumption as well.

I read a scripture this morning that reminded me of this mess:

Jesus said to his Apostles:
“Behold, I am sending you like sheep in the midst of wolves;
so be shrewd as serpents and simple as doves.
But beware of men,
for they will hand you over to courts
and scourge you in their synagogues,
and you will be led before governors and kings for my sake
as a witness before them and the pagans.
When they hand you over,
do not worry about how you are to speak
or what you are to say.
You will be given at that moment what you are to say.
For it will not be you who speak
but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you.
Brother will hand over brother to death,
and the father his child;
children will rise up against parents and have them put to death.
You will be hated by all because of my name,
but whoever endures to the end will be saved.
When they persecute you in one town, flee to another.
Amen, I say to you, you will not finish the towns of Israel
before the Son of Man comes.”

Upvote 0

St_Barnabus

Secular Carmelite OCDS
Jun 6, 2008
Midwest USA
✟54,616.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Joab,

Were you aware that this scripture was the gospel reading today? Very timely - truly, God is speaking. Thanks for printing it.

These boots are made for walkin' ..... (Nancy Sinatra)

One scripture jumped out at me this morning at mass. God told Jacob that He would bring his family back to the land after Joseph closed his eyes. Yet we know that promise, while true, was not fulfilled for 400 years through Moses.

Not only will I go down to Egypt with you;
I will also bring you back here, after Joseph has closed your eyes.”

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JoabAnias

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Joab,

Were you aware that this scripture was the gospel reading today? Very timely - truly, God is speaking. Thanks for printing it.

These boots are made for walkin' ..... (Nancy Sinatra)

Yes, the daily Gospel and the office of readings are part of my waking holy hour.

They never fail to speak in the spirit to every aspect of life, from recent days, to dreams, to current events. ;)

You know, the one thing I find most disturbing about this whole situation, is even if it does turn out that Corapi is fallen, (which is how it looks because it appears SOLT believes its so) there are way to many already condemning or chomping at the bit to condemn the man. No one has a right to cast stones and condemn anyone for sin. We are all in the same boat.

Lest we forget, there but for the grace of God, go I.

The noon reading:

Baruch 4:28-29
As by your will you first strayed away from God, so now turn back and search for him ten times as hard; for as he brought down those disasters on you, so will he rescue you and give you eternal joy.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,674,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Corapi case: what was said, and what wasn't...
There's been a lot of back-and-forth over the last several hours about John Corapi's response yesterday to the SOLT statement of 5 July, summarizing the order's findings and directing him, under obedience, to return to the order and live in community. It might be useful for all who are interested to see what exactly was said — and what wasn't.

Upvote 0

St_Barnabus

Secular Carmelite OCDS
Jun 6, 2008
Midwest USA
✟54,616.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Joab, I agree. The derision here is appalling.

You mentioned "recent events, dreams" - I had a forewarning a few weeks ago as I walked through the experience of trying to get bad seeds to germinate. I think I know the "who" of the message now. No matter how much water, light, warmth, good soil, doing everything right ... the bad seed just will not germinate! When God walked Jeremia through his different experiences, ["Go to the potter's house", etc.] the message was given to him afterwards as to what the experience meant.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JoabAnias

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Joab, I agree. The derision here is appalling.

I should have been more clear that I was speaking of reactions everywhere in general, not just here. They aren't nearly as disheartening here as they are in other places. If you think this thread is bad, go look at whats said on blogs and places like Face Book. Much much worse. I think most folks here make good sense in charity. And lets face it, to some degree, most of us have had some emotional investment in this issue as it pertains to clergy, the Church and her teachings as rightly presented by Corapi for decades now. Its taken some time to deal with those "feelings" and come to a more objective assessment of the facts as they unfold.

I have learned to straddle the fence on issues like this as they do continue to unfold. Its one thing to say all the current evidence points one way or another. Its quite another to make a rash conclusion based on a piece of the picture. I guess I believe everyone always deserves every shadow of the doubt. There is yet a long way to go in this case. If I were to guess, at this point I think there is enough blame to go around and pointing fingers aren't a help in understanding where this situation goes from here.

Upvote 0

isshinwhat

Pro Deo et Patria
Apr 12, 2002
Visit site
✟13,555.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Lord have mercy.

Neal,

Inquisitive minds would like to know:

If that letter were to have been kept in confidence, then how did Corapi obtain a copy and then put it in his complaint? Who leaked it to Corapi?

I really do not know. I will IM if you are interested.

Upvote 0

isshinwhat

Pro Deo et Patria
Apr 12, 2002
Visit site
✟13,555.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox

And where does it say explicitly that she was the prostitute? According to what I read elswhere, she functioned something like a personal secretary . .

PM sent.

Disregard... I tried to send one but your PM is full. Check your rep.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

isshinwhat

Pro Deo et Patria
Apr 12, 2002
Visit site
✟13,555.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Its become clearly apparent in all the opinions that the author of lies is a master of deception and many fall for them. He uses us to tear each other down. He will take what ever disorder he can muster. Every time I see someone tricked into a "presumption" (which leads to rash judgment and then detraction and calumny) of lies or deceit without any concrete solid evidence I see the enemies nastiness at work. Adversely, I believe I already see one good fruit God will allow from this catastrophe, and that will be the edification of the faithful to a better discernment of spirits. Hopefully a little prudence over rash judgment and caution against presumption as well.

I read a scripture this morning that reminded me of this mess:

Jesus said to his Apostles:
“Behold, I am sending you like sheep in the midst of wolves;
so be shrewd as serpents and simple as doves.
But beware of men,
for they will hand you over to courts
and scourge you in their synagogues,
and you will be led before governors and kings for my sake
as a witness before them and the pagans.
When they hand you over,
do not worry about how you are to speak
or what you are to say.
You will be given at that moment what you are to say.
For it will not be you who speak
but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you.
Brother will hand over brother to death,
and the father his child;
children will rise up against parents and have them put to death.
You will be hated by all because of my name,
but whoever endures to the end will be saved.

Another solid post.

Upvote 0

isshinwhat

Pro Deo et Patria
Apr 12, 2002
Visit site
✟13,555.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Yes, the daily Gospel and the office of readings are part of my waking holy hour...

Lest we forget, there but for the grace of God, go I.

The noon reading:

Baruch 4:28-29
As by your will you first strayed away from God, so now turn back and search for him ten times as hard; for as he brought down those disasters on you, so will he rescue you and give you eternal joy.

Beautiful Scripture, thank you for sharing. I'm going to pass it along...

Upvote 0

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
Though it doesn't look good, there is no way to know that for sure yet. He could very well be a victim of calumny by a disgruntled and hostile false witness. We have no irrefutable proof either way yet.
Unless the SOLT is lying through its teeth, we absolutely do have such from the Church Herself.

I do not believe the SOLT has any reason to lie . . they have a lot to lose by coming out and revealing these facts. They have much more to gain by supporting Corapi . . .their order has garnered international attention because of the popularity of Fr Corapi. Because of Fr Corapi, they order has probably grown and would continue to grow.

Given Fr Corapi's strange behavior already delineated several times in this thread, there is no reason not to trust their words and every reason to distrust his.

It is only wishful thinking now on the part of diehard supporters that holds out any hope that the leadership of an Order, and Bishops, are the bad guys here and that Fr Corapi is a martyr of some kind.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.