Unpardonable Sin...

Oct 6, 2014
✟7,710.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I figured this might be better in the advice section, but I imagine I would get better answers here. Also, this might bring about some interesting theological discussion. I just wanted to see what the people here might have to say, as it's really been bothering me. I'm just going to copy and paste what I posted to a Christian board on Reddit:

I can't believe I'm here asking about this on reddit yet again.

I was once enlightened and experienced the goodness of God for a very short while (a few months) and then went back to my old sinful ways and continued on (now for 4 years almost). There's been plenty of times when I could have repented, but didn't. I've come to the internet no telling how many times seeking advice. And when I do I hear some powerful and encouraging words which make me feel better for a while, but then I'm immediately back to living like a heathen and back to seeking out advice. Do you honestly think God should save me after that sort of rejection?

I've spent lengthy times pushing the idea of God out of my head with worldly things because the pain that comes with the fear of going to Hell is beyond unbearable. Food loses it's taste, nothing has meaning, and the whole world around me seems to violently unravel. I'm in a place where I just hate being alive. I'm not suicidal, but I think at times it would be better to just die and go to Hell than to live another day anticipating it.

I don't know why I even continue to come to places like this and ask for help. It's not like I get bad advice or anything. But I know I must be driving people crazy with these issues. And it's so terrifying for me to talk to my pastor in person. I can't communicate well at all. I say something, but it often gets misunderstood, or I begin to stumble over my words so that no one can really understand what I'm saying anyhow. And I'm not sure what I expect to hear differently than I've heard many times already. "If you fear you've committed it then you haven't!" My fear primarily (if from anything else) comes from the likelihood of me going to Hell. I know God uses it as a tool to bring people closer to him, but I can't say my main reason (again, if there is any other reason) is out of love for God.

I am more convinced now than ever that God simply has given to me what I asked for and has left me for good. He will no longer strive with me, and my only purpose in life now is to tell others not to do what I've done - like Bunyan's man in the iron cage.

Where on Earth do I go from here...?
Here is the original post.

I'm not expecting any words of hope at this point. I think the best example I can find of my situation is Pharaoh in Exodus. After every warning he had an attitude of "ok, THIS time I'll change". But he never did. And God eventually just hardened his heart for him. That's where I fear I am.

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
Well, you're not totally dead on the inside since you have a fear of hellfire, something that God must have placed in your heart.
Thing is, if you come to God and Christ in faith, believing in your heart that He died personally for your sins and rose again from the dead to give you an inheritance of eternal life with Him in heaven with God and all the saints, He will abundantly pardon you all your offenses. God certainly will not hold your past offenses against your account regarding having eternal life. He may require of you as He did with the Apostle Paul for the deeds you have done in the body, but your spirit will be made eternally alive together with Christ when you entrust yourself to His care for your soul.

Paul said he was one of the worst sinners of all time, and God had chosen Paul to show His patience as an example for ALL who will believe in Christ for eternal life.
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+Timothy+1:12-20&version=NKJV

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts+9:10-22+&version=NKJV
Acts 9:10-22 New King James Version (NKJV)

10 Now there was a certain disciple at Damascus named Ananias; and to him the Lord said in a vision, “Ananias.”

And he said, “Here I am, Lord.”

11 So the Lord said to him, “Arise and go to the street called Straight, and inquire at the house of Judas for one called Saul of Tarsus, for behold, he is praying. 12 And in a vision he has seen a man named Ananias coming in and putting his hand on him, so that he might receive his sight.”

13 Then Ananias answered, “Lord, I have heard from many about this man, how much harm he has done to Your saints in Jerusalem. 14 And here he has authority from the chief priests to bind all who call on Your name.”

15 But the Lord said to him, “Go, for he is a chosen vessel of Mine to bear My name before Gentiles, kings, and the children of Israel.
16 For I will show him how many things he must suffer for My name’s sake.”

17 And Ananias went his way and entered the house; and laying his hands on him he said, “Brother Saul, the Lord Jesus, who appeared to you on the road as you came, has sent me that you may receive your sight and be filled with the Holy Spirit.” 18 Immediately there fell from his eyes something like scales, and he received his sight at once; and he arose and was baptized.

19 So when he had received food, he was strengthened. Then Saul spent some days with the disciples at Damascus.

Saul Preaches Christ
20 Immediately he preached the Christ in the synagogues, that He is the Son of God.

21 Then all who heard were amazed, and said, “Is this not he who destroyed those who called on this name in Jerusalem, and has come here for that purpose, so that he might bring them bound to the chief priests?”

22 But Saul increased all the more in strength, and confounded the Jews who dwelt in Damascus, proving that this Jesus is the Christ.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 6, 2014
✟7,710.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Well, you're not totally dead on the inside since you have a fear of hellfire, something that God must have placed in your heart.
Thing is, if you come to God and Christ in faith, believing in your heart that He died personally for your sins and rose again from the dead to give you an inheritance of eternal life with Him in heaven with God and all the saints, He will abundantly pardon you all your offenses. God certainly will not hold your past offenses against your account regarding having eternal life. He may require of you as He did with the Apostle Paul for the deeds you have done in the body, but your spirit will be made eternally alive together with Christ when you entrust yourself to His care for your soul.

Paul said he was one of the worst sinners of all time, and God had chosen Paul to show His patience as an example for ALL who will believe in Christ for eternal life.

Thank you for your response.

I've willfully sinned and knowingly taken advantage of the mercy of God many, many times over. If he is still willing to pardon me, then he is immeasurably patient and merciful.

You say if I believe Christ died for me personally, then I will be saved. I'd like to say I genuinely believed this at one point. When God and the scriptures became a reality to me, I was terrified of my spiritual state. But after a little while (and I don't know where it came from) I started having a peace of mind in Christ. I started experiencing some other worldly sense of Joy and relief. I would spend all day and night praying, reading the word, and thanking God continuously. If I was able to resist the temptation to sin, I'd feel good about myself, but I'd always bring it back to Christ and thank him for giving me strength to do that. I was just overwhelmed with Joy for what Christ did for me.

But after a few months went by, I started slipping back to more and more of my sin until I started looking like I did before. The only difference now was I was aware of what I was doing, and I had this gnawing fear of going to Hell. I think back to what happened back then, and I'm just not sure what to make of it anymore.

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
Thank you for your response.

I've willfully sinned and knowingly taken advantage of the mercy of God many, many times over. If he is still willing to pardon me, then he is immeasurably patient and merciful.

You say if I believe Christ died for me personally, then I will be saved. I'd like to say I genuinely believed this at one point. When God and the scriptures became a reality to me, I was terrified of my spiritual state. But after a little while (and I don't know where it came from) I started having a peace of mind in Christ. I started experiencing some other worldly sense of Joy and relief. I would spend all day and night praying, reading the word, and thanking God continuously. If I was able to resist the temptation to sin, I'd feel good about myself, but I'd always bring it back to Christ and thank him for giving me strength to do that. I was just overwhelmed with Joy for what Christ did for me.

But after a few months went by, I started slipping back to more and more of my sin until I started looking like I did before. The only difference now was I was aware of what I was doing, and I had this gnawing fear of going to Hell. I think back to what happened back then, and I'm just not sure what to make of it anymore.

Do not keep company with immoral and evil people, or say people who are on that same road to hell. You're just falling into the same temptations they are by going along with them. What you should do is change your mindset about whether God can or will save you, and start to do the things Christ and scripture tell you to do.
Those who are Christ's have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.
And you really need to study the word of God which can make you wise unto salvation.
2 Timothy 3:15
and that from childhood you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

The only way to know the scriptures is to actually study the scriptures. If you are wise you will do that and come to know and believe that Christ came to give us an understanding and to know that you have eternal life.
John 20:30-31 New King James Version (NKJV)
That You May Believe
30 And truly Jesus did many other signs in the presence of His disciples, which are not written in this book; 31 but these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name.

AND note v3

1 Peter 4New King James Version (NKJV)
4 Therefore, since Christ suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves also with the same mind, for he who has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin,
2 that he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh for the lusts of men, but for the will of God.
3 For we have spent enough of our past lifetime in doing the will of the Gentiles—when we walked in lewdness, lusts, drunkenness, revelries, drinking parties, and abominable idolatries.

4 In regard to these, they think it strange that you do not run with them in the same flood of dissipation, speaking evil of you. 5 They will give an account to Him who is ready to judge the living and the dead. 6 For this reason the gospel was preached also to those who are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.

Galatians 5
Walking in the Spirit
16 I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. 17 For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

19 Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, 21 envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. 24 And those who areChrist’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another.

Upvote 0
Oct 6, 2014
✟7,710.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
And you really need to study the word of God which can make you wise unto salvation.

What does this mean exactly? I understand that scripture is a means of grace for Christ to sort of move through. Is that what you mean?

Also, and I probably shouldn't ask, but what about what I described? That is, when I described my past experiences, what did you make of that?

Upvote 0

singpeace

Site Supporter
Oct 21, 2009
U.S.
✟40,147.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Resisting temptation begins with knowing that Satan is the supreme “tempter” (Matthew 4:3; 1 Thessalonians 3:5) who has been tempting mankind since our Creator placed His first two children in the Garden of Eden

Satan’s power over Christians has been effectively destroyed as the war has already been won through our Savior’s death and resurrection which conquered the power of sin and death forever. Nonetheless, Satan still prowls the earth looking to drive a wedge between God and His children, and his temptations are unfortunately a daily part of our lives (1 Peter 5:8). Yet with the power of the Holy Spirit and the truth of God’s Word to help us, we will find ourselves effectively resisting temptations.

The apostle Paul encourages us with these words: “No temptation has seized you except what is common to man” (1 Corinthians 10:13). Indeed, every one of us faces temptations of some kind; even Jesus was not immune as He was “tempted in every way, just as we are” (Hebrews 4:15). Although Satan may be the dark force ultimately behind the tempting, it is our fallen and corrupted human nature that allows these temptations to take root and causes us to act on them, thereby “giving birth to sin” (James 1:15). But it is the power of the Holy Spirit that enables us to free ourselves from the sin and temptations we struggle with in our daily lives. Thus, if we have the Spirit of Christ residing in our hearts, we already have what it takes to resist the flaming arrows the devil sends our way. As Paul told the Galatians, “live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature” (Galatians 5:16).

I would say to you as a true sister in Christ, that God has a calling and a plan for your life just as He has for every one of his children. You are to let your light shine; plant seeds of righteousness in others; love others and show them the awesome mercy of Jesus Christ so that they too might be saved. Grow up and RESIST these temptations. Stop allowing Satan to drive a wedge between you and the Lord. Think of all He gave up and went through because of his infinite love for you. If you don't stop this and start seriously resisting, eventually you will become desensitized to sinning, and no matter how many times you confess, the guilt will wither away and you will be no witness to the coming of Jesus Christ, which is your honor and treasure.

Reactions: Jesus First
Upvote 0

Jesus First

Lover of Jesus Christ
Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
✟8,884.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi brother/sister Critically Red,

Thanks for sharing some intimate details on your struggle with assurance. Most true believers in this forum have surely struggled with this at some time in their life. I'm no exception.

If we had to be sinless after salvation –who would be saved? I'm not speaking lightly of the seriousness of sin, but being realistic. It's not that we won't sin, but we will sin. 1 John 1:9 is written to believers,
as we all sin.

The best place to find assurance of salvation is in the pages of Scripture. God doesn't lie. There are many promises in Scripture with the word "whosoever". Your name can be placed there. Don't believe the five point Calvinist untruth that Jesus only died for a select few and this includes them. Believe the Bible and claim the many promises conditional on ongoing belief.

John 3:16 is a good candidate to memorize and meditate on (of many salvation verses). Eternal life is conditional on one key word "believes". While one "believes" he/she "has" (a present reality) eternal life. The verb "believes" is more than acknowledging some facts that are true. Real belief results in obedience of the faith. It follows Jesus Christ!

I'll be praying for you. Please respond if I can be of further assistance. Jesus is called a Saviour because He saves people. Trust in Jesus and His Word!

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
What does this mean exactly? I understand that scripture is a means of grace for Christ to sort of move through. Is that what you mean?

Also, and I probably shouldn't ask, but what about what I described? That is, when I described my past experiences, what did you make of that?
The way we learn is by study of a subject, and by revelation knowledge from God into our spirits, He teaches us and leads us to Christ.
If we believe God used men to write to us of how He saves us, then we should learn from Him in the testimony of the men God used to write down His words to us. Any experiences separate from the written word are subjective, they might be good or they might be bad, but we have in scriptures, a sure prophetic Word about God and Christ, one that others also have experienced for millennia.

About your own experiences, sure they may have been very negative, or positive (your not physically dead yet), but what you need to do is get your eyes off of yourself and your issues, and cast your cares on Him who cares for you. If you are one that has tasted that the LORD has been gracious towards you, then you need to respond to Him in faith believing in what He has said to you through your experiences and in the written Word of God.

1 Peter 2 New King James Version (NKJV)
2 Therefore, laying aside all malice, all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and all evil speaking, 2 as newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the word, that you may grow thereby, 3 if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is gracious.

So then desire the Word of God, Christ, and learn of Him, spend time with Him in His Word, meditate on the Word of God and pray.

And realize that your testimony to God's faithfulness as you have said, he has been gracious to you so far, is a good encouragement to other people.

Upvote 0

brotherjerry

Apr 28, 2006
✟9,581.00
Faith
Baptist
Red,

Let me start by saying thank you for sharing your testimony with us. It is never easy to admit failures and even harder to find help for the problems we have. But you are on the right track.

Let me also say that I am and will take time to pray for you during this time. I understand the difficult journey you seem to be on.

Let me give you a little of my testimony so you know where I am coming from. I was saved when I was 18. I was on fire for the Lord and incredibly active with my church for about a year. I too fell into some of my old habits and even picked up a few more. I fell away from the church, and my fellowship with God was terrible. I joined the Navy at 21 and was a very typical drunken sailor.

I later met my wife and we became active in church again. For several years we were pretty active in our church. But I had found a new habit. I started gambling online. I gambled our house payments away and ultimately lost our house. And I did not tell my wife until days before they were going to come kick us out of the house. One night I felt the need to pray and open my Bible. God led me to the book of James and then broke me.

I learned that while I was saved, I had never submitted. I was like the Israelite's wandering in the wilderness for 40 years. I was saved but I kept grumbling to God and kept trying to do everything myself. My wife and I both learned through that that I was not being the husband that God wanted me to be, and she was not the wife that God had desired her to be. We did not know what Biblical marriage was truly about. Well 23 years later we are still at it and have a stronger relationship with each other now than we ever had. (just to make certain you knew there was a happy ending there).

You have been given some good advice here about reading the Bible...and they are all correct that it has to start there. But God does not intend us to be an island sitting there on our own. No matter how powerful the Word is, God wants us to fellowship with others and to learn from others. Christ is called a teacher, He had disciples. You need to read your Bible but you need to be involved in a church and to have someone discipling you and showing you what it means to be a follower of Christ. This is something I did not have when I was saved. I was at an age that I did not fit in with the youth and there were not "college" age classes in my church so I was left without and real guidance. Kind of like being given a detailed model of an airplane with no instructions on how to put it together...I know what it is, I just don't know what pieces may go where.

And discipleship programs are not group programs that talk about how to handle your finances...you need life on life experience...Christ spent a year working with 12 individuals before they were ready to even go out without Christ in teams of two. It was another 2 years later that they were ready to handle things on their own. But you may have to start off in small groups...Sunday School classes or whatever your church calls them is always a good start. You may go for a while before you get to the point you feel comfortable to speak your feelings, but that is OK. But learn and listen and try and find people you feel you might be able to talk to one on one and ask questions. Maybe get together outside of church at the coffee shop to talk about the Bible, God, Christ, the church, the Mets, football, or anything else.. as long as you can build a relationship in which you feel you can talk and trust.

I know a pastor that has a great discipleship program and I am sure he would be more than willing to go over things with your pastor and get programs like that started in your church. Feel free to PM me and we take things offline to discuss further. Or if you ever have questions or just want to chat, PM me and maybe we can get together in a chat or something and work out any questions you may have.

Reactions: GillDouglas
Upvote 0

Mister_Al

Jun 9, 2005
✟9,656.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Jesus said that blasphemy against the Holy Spirit would not be forgiven, and in 1 John 5:16 John speaks of a sin unto death so we know there is an unforgivable sin. But, have you ever noticed there isn't even one mention of a Christian that committed such a sin in the Bible? That's because it's virtually impossible for a Christian that is filled with--and led by--the Holy Spirit to sin such a sin.

The Holy Spirit was given to you to guide you around obstacles like this and He does a very good job of it. You also have Jesus, and the Father, watching over you as well.

John 10:28-30 Amplified Bible (AMP)
28 And I give them eternal life, and they will never, ever [by any means]perish; and no one will ever snatch them out of My hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater and mightier than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand. 30 I and the Father are one.

Blessings,

Alan

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GillDouglas

Reformed Christian
Dec 21, 2013
USA
Visit site
✟29,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Red,

Let me start by saying thank you for sharing your testimony with us. It is never easy to admit failures and even harder to find help for the problems we have. But you are on the right track.

Let me also say that I am and will take time to pray for you during this time. I understand the difficult journey you seem to be on.

Let me give you a little of my testimony so you know where I am coming from. I was saved when I was 18. I was on fire for the Lord and incredibly active with my church for about a year. I too fell into some of my old habits and even picked up a few more. I fell away from the church, and my fellowship with God was terrible. I joined the Navy at 21 and was a very typical drunken sailor.

I later met my wife and we became active in church again. For several years we were pretty active in our church. But I had found a new habit. I started gambling online. I gambled our house payments away and ultimately lost our house. And I did not tell my wife until days before they were going to come kick us out of the house. One night I felt the need to pray and open my Bible. God led me to the book of James and then broke me.

I learned that while I was saved, I had never submitted. I was like the Israelite's wandering in the wilderness for 40 years. I was saved but I kept grumbling to God and kept trying to do everything myself. My wife and I both learned through that that I was not being the husband that God wanted me to be, and she was not the wife that God had desired her to be. We did not know what Biblical marriage was truly about. Well 23 years later we are still at it and have a stronger relationship with each other now than we ever had. (just to make certain you knew there was a happy ending there).

You have been given some good advice here about reading the Bible...and they are all correct that it has to start there. But God does not intend us to be an island sitting there on our own. No matter how powerful the Word is, God wants us to fellowship with others and to learn from others. Christ is called a teacher, He had disciples. You need to read your Bible but you need to be involved in a church and to have someone discipling you and showing you what it means to be a follower of Christ. This is something I did not have when I was saved. I was at an age that I did not fit in with the youth and there were not "college" age classes in my church so I was left without and real guidance. Kind of like being given a detailed model of an airplane with no instructions on how to put it together...I know what it is, I just don't know what pieces may go where.

And discipleship programs are not group programs that talk about how to handle your finances...you need life on life experience...Christ spent a year working with 12 individuals before they were ready to even go out without Christ in teams of two. It was another 2 years later that they were ready to handle things on their own. But you may have to start off in small groups...Sunday School classes or whatever your church calls them is always a good start. You may go for a while before you get to the point you feel comfortable to speak your feelings, but that is OK. But learn and listen and try and find people you feel you might be able to talk to one on one and ask questions. Maybe get together outside of church at the coffee shop to talk about the Bible, God, Christ, the church, the Mets, football, or anything else.. as long as you can build a relationship in which you feel you can talk and trust.

I know a pastor that has a great discipleship program and I am sure he would be more than willing to go over things with your pastor and get programs like that started in your church. Feel free to PM me and we take things offline to discuss further. Or if you ever have questions or just want to chat, PM me and maybe we can get together in a chat or something and work out any questions you may have.
Brother Jerry,

Thank you for sharing your testimony while providing some great advice to a fellow brother in need. You've impacted more than just the OP with your powerful words. God bless!

Reactions: brotherjerry
Upvote 0

nobdysfool

The original! Accept no substitutes!
Feb 23, 2003
Home, except when I'm not....
✟21,146.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Blaspheming the Holy Spirit is rejecting the grace that God has offered....so the unpardonable sin is never accepting Christ in your life time.

I'm sorry, but I must disagree with you on this. Here's why:

(20) Then he went home, and the crowd gathered again, so that they could not even eat. (21) And when his family heard it, they went out to seize him, for they were saying, "He is out of his mind." (22) And the scribes who came down from Jerusalem were saying, "He is possessed by Beelzebul," and "by the prince of demons he casts out the demons."

(23) And he called them to him and said to them in parables, "How can Satan cast out Satan? (24) If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. (25) And if a house is divided against itself, that house will not be able to stand. (26) And if Satan has risen up against himself and is divided, he cannot stand, but is coming to an end. (27) But no one can enter a strong man's house and plunder his goods, unless he first binds the strong man. Then indeed he may plunder his house.

(28) "Truly, I say to you, all sins will be forgiven the children of man, and whatever blasphemies they utter, (29) but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin"-- (30) for they were saying, "He has an unclean spirit."

Mat 12:22-37 Then a demon-oppressed man who was blind and mute was brought to him, and he healed him, so that the man spoke and saw. (23) And all the people were amazed, and said, "Can this be the Son of David?" (24) But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, "It is only by Beelzebul, the prince of demons, that this man casts out demons."

(25) Knowing their thoughts, he said to them, "Every kingdom divided against itself is laid waste, and no city or house divided against itself will stand. (26) And if Satan casts out Satan, he is divided against himself. How then will his kingdom stand? (27) And if I cast out demons by Beelzebul, by whom do your sons cast them out? Therefore they will be your judges. (28) But if it is by the Spirit of God that I cast out demons, then the kingdom of God has come upon you. (29) Or how can someone enter a strong man's house and plunder his goods, unless he first binds the strong man? Then indeed he may plunder his house. (30) Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters. (31) Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven people, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. (32) And whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.

These two passages make it very clear exactly what Jesus was saying, and what He meant. He was accused of casting out demons by the power of Beelzebub, aka Satan. Jesus' response was pointed, direct, and certain. He identified blasphemy against the Holy Spirit as a sin which would never be forgiven. What was that blasphemy? Calling the power of the Holy Spirit to be the power of Satan.

That is not simple unbelief. The Pharisees knew what Jesus was doing, and by what power He was doing it. They themselves occasionally performed exorcisms, and none of them would have invoked the power of Satan to do so. So, they knew whose power it was, and they deliberately and knowingly said it was the power of Satan, as part of their desire to discredit Jesus.

That shows us several things: first, a person can speak against the Son of God, and it will be forgiven. Jesus said so. A person can speak against the Father, and it will be forgiven. But, if someone knowingly calls the power of the Holy Spirit to be the power of Satan, they will NEVER be forgiven. EVER. Jesus said so.

Now, for some reason, people want to turn the unforgivable sin into anything but what Jesus called it. They want to call it unbelief. And in the same breath they will argue that Jesus died for all the sins of all the people. Is unbelief a sin? Then Jesus died to pay its debt. If He did not die for the sin of unbelief, then He did not die for all sins.

Who is guilty of unbelief? Everyone who is not saved. If unbelief were the unforgivable sin, then no one could be saved, because they could never be forgiven of the unforgivable sin.

Jesus did not put conditions or limitations on the bounds of the unforgivable sin. He said the one who commits this sin will not be forgiven in this world, or the next. Period. Jesus identified exactly what this sin is: Attributing the power of the Holy Spirit to Satan. One cannot do so unless one knows the difference. Therefore an unsaved person cannot really commit this sin, because it is committed with knowledge of what one is doing and saying. The Pharisees knew
There is so much false teaching about this subject, and it doesn't even make sense. Jesus addressed this, and as I have shown, identified exactly what this sin was, and is. It is NOT rejecting Christ, for we all rejected Him before we received Him. It is not even rejecting the God's Grace via Holy Spirit, for we all resisted Him before we yielded to Him.

The unforgivable sin has always and only been to attribute the works and power of the Holy Spirit to Satan, to say that the works of the Holy Spirit were done by the power of Satan.

That action, which cannot be done in ignorance, is a one-way ticket to Hell.

Reactions: sdowney717
Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
I suppose people trying to understand what the unforgivable sin is from a natural pov, being that after someone dies, comes the judgement and no further chance for repentance, so they rejecting Christ in this life, are not forgiven their sins, so then the unforgivable sin they have committed.
That makes logical sense, but it is not what scriptures says is the unforgivable sin that Christ talks about as nobdysfool tells us.
Telling Christ or say testifying that Christ performs His miracles by the power of Satan or associating Christ with Satan's power is the unforgivable sin.

A born of God believer will not do such a thing, so it is not theirs to worry of committing that sin, but for unbelievers it is a sin they can commit. Regardless, all unbelievers also are not forgiven their sins anyway. Jesus is emphasizing the sin of rejecting Himself as the Son of God come with God's power into their community, the Day of His visitation to them who are saying Christ is Satan. The have committed an unforgivable sin.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mister_Al

Jun 9, 2005
✟9,656.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My apologies for posting my quick thought on the unpardonable sin. I did not intend to derail this serious thread of someone seeking guidance.

I don't see a problem with what you said. In fact, I totally agree with your post.

Alan

Upvote 0

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟62,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I figured this might be better in the advice section, but I imagine I would get better answers here. Also, this might bring about some interesting theological discussion. I just wanted to see what the people here might have to say, as it's really been bothering me. I'm just going to copy and paste what I posted to a Christian board on Reddit:

I can't believe I'm here asking about this on reddit yet again.

I was once enlightened and experienced the goodness of God for a very short while (a few months) and then went back to my old sinful ways and continued on (now for 4 years almost). There's been plenty of times when I could have repented, but didn't. I've come to the internet no telling how many times seeking advice. And when I do I hear some powerful and encouraging words which make me feel better for a while, but then I'm immediately back to living like a heathen and back to seeking out advice. Do you honestly think God should save me after that sort of rejection?

I've spent lengthy times pushing the idea of God out of my head with worldly things because the pain that comes with the fear of going to Hell is beyond unbearable. Food loses it's taste, nothing has meaning, and the whole world around me seems to violently unravel. I'm in a place where I just hate being alive. I'm not suicidal, but I think at times it would be better to just die and go to Hell than to live another day anticipating it.

I don't know why I even continue to come to places like this and ask for help. It's not like I get bad advice or anything. But I know I must be driving people crazy with these issues. And it's so terrifying for me to talk to my pastor in person. I can't communicate well at all. I say something, but it often gets misunderstood, or I begin to stumble over my words so that no one can really understand what I'm saying anyhow. And I'm not sure what I expect to hear differently than I've heard many times already. "If you fear you've committed it then you haven't!" My fear primarily (if from anything else) comes from the likelihood of me going to Hell. I know God uses it as a tool to bring people closer to him, but I can't say my main reason (again, if there is any other reason) is out of love for God.

I am more convinced now than ever that God simply has given to me what I asked for and has left me for good. He will no longer strive with me, and my only purpose in life now is to tell others not to do what I've done - like Bunyan's man in the iron cage.

Where on Earth do I go from here...?
Here is the original post.

I'm not expecting any words of hope at this point. I think the best example I can find of my situation is Pharaoh in Exodus. After every warning he had an attitude of "ok, THIS time I'll change". But he never did. And God eventually just hardened his heart for him. That's where I fear I am.
I like James chapter 4 verse 12
It says there is only one law giver and judge the one who is able to save or destroy.
I don't know who told you your going to hell.
But here is all I believe you have to do to get gods approval. No one obeys the law, and love covers many sins.

Matthew chapter 25 verses 31-46
When the Son of Man comes" in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory. All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. he will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left. Then the King will say to those on his right, Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me. then the righteous will answer him, Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and got visit you? The King will reply, I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me. Then he will say to those on his left, Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.They also will answer, Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you? He will reply, I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me. Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.

Upvote 0
Oct 6, 2014
✟7,710.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
The way we learn is by study of a subject, and by revelation knowledge from God into our spirits, He teaches us and leads us to Christ.
If we believe God used men to write to us of how He saves us, then we should learn from Him in the testimony of the men God used to write down His words to us. Any experiences separate from the written word are subjective, they might be good or they might be bad, but we have in scriptures, a sure prophetic Word about God and Christ, one that others also have experienced for millennia.

About your own experiences, sure they may have been very negative, or positive (your not physically dead yet), but what you need to do is get your eyes off of yourself and your issues, and cast your cares on Him who cares for you. If you are one that has tasted that the LORD has been gracious towards you, then you need to respond to Him in faith believing in what He has said to you through your experiences and in the written Word of God.

Sorry to revive an old thread. I don't mean to take up much of your time. If you see this, I'd like to ask one more thing.

I think I've come to terms with the fact that it is indeed not too late for me. But I don't know where that leaves me. Am I saved? Am I not? The only evidence of it I have had the past four years is that 'spiritual experience' (for lack of a better word) I had for a few months before slipping back in to sin again. I have at one point tasted that the lord is good and merciful, and I would say I'm tasting it now. But is he being/will he be merciful to me? He is big enough to cover my sins - I understand this. But will he? I haven't hid anything from him. If I am feeling numb and apathetic, I tell him that and ask for zeal. In an earlier post you mentioned he cares for my soul. Do you know this for certain? I want it to be so, but I feel hesitant at this point to say "yes, I know for certain Christ made a sacrifice for my sins personally."

Upvote 0

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟62,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sorry to revive an old thread. I don't mean to take up much of your time. If you see this, I'd like to ask one more thing.

I think I've come to terms with the fact that it is indeed not too late for me. But I don't know where that leaves me. Am I saved? Am I not? The only evidence of it I have had the past four years is that 'spiritual experience' (for lack of a better word) I had for a few months before slipping back in to sin again. I have at one point tasted that the lord is good and merciful, and I would say I'm tasting it now. But is he being/will he be merciful to me? He is big enough to cover my sins - I understand this. But will he? I haven't hid anything from him. If I am feeling numb and apathetic, I tell him that and ask for zeal. In an earlier post you mentioned he cares for my soul. Do you know this for certain? I want it to be so, but I feel hesitant at this point to say "yes, I know for certain Christ made a sacrifice for my sins personally."
Hebrews chapter 7 verses 11,12 If perfection could have been attained through the Levitical priesthood for on the basis of it the law was given to the people why was there still need for another priest to come one in the order of Melchizedek, not in the order of Aaron? For when there is a change of the priesthood, there must also be a change of the law.
John chapter 15 verse 12 My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you.
Galatians chapter 5 verse 14 The entire law is summed up in a single command love your neighbor as your self.

And like I said love covers many sins.

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian

I do believe God is being gracious to you (v3), reading what you have said, so then this should apply to you from Apostle Peter,

1 Peter 2 New King James Version (NKJV)
2 Therefore, laying aside all malice, all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and all evil speaking,
2 as newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the word, that you may grow thereby,
3 if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is gracious.

So you should definitely not give up any hope for your situation, in due time you will be rewarded for seeking after Christ. God is a rewarder of all those who diligently seek Him. No one seeks for God unless God begins His work inside of them, so your seeking Him should be a sign to you that He is at work within you. And if God be for you, then who can be against you?

Actually you can read His words and pray asking Him to help you, and wait then on God for Him to awaken within you inside your soul that feeling you are seeming to be missing that He does care for your soul.

Matthew 10
Jesus Teaches the Fear of God
27 “Whatever I tell you in the dark, speak in the light; and what you hear in the ear, preach on the housetops.
28 And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
29 Are not two sparrows sold for a copper coin? And not one of them falls to the ground apart from your Father’s will.
30 But the very hairs of your head are all numbered.
31 Do not fear therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows.

Confess Christ Before Men
32 “Therefore whoever confesses Me before men, him I will also confess before My Father who is in heaven.
33 But whoever denies Me before men, him I will also deny before My Father who is in heaven.

Galatians 6
7 Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.
8 For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption, but he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life.
9 And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart.
10 Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all, especially to those who are of the household of faith.

1 Peter 5
5 Likewise you younger people, submit yourselves to your elders. Yes, all of you be submissive to one another, and be clothed with humility, for

“God resists the proud,
But gives grace to the humble.”

6 Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time,
7 casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.

8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour.
9 Resist him, steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same sufferings are experienced by your brotherhood in the world.
10 But may the God of all grace, who called us to His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after you have suffered a while, perfect, establish, strengthen, and settle you.
11 To Him be the glory and the dominion forever and ever. Amen.

Upvote 0