✟22,982.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Constitution
I_are_sceptical said:
Okay, let's train our kids to not even have the desire to commit a violent act. That way nothing will be made into a weapon.
Lets train their kids first, ours are not brought up to be suicide bombers.

Upvote 0

erin74

Ministry is about people not structures.
Feb 8, 2005
rural australia
✟26,267.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
eldermike said:
Weapons make peace possible. Without them the biggest and strongest you will have to call "master", they will own you.

You do realise that is why so many countries don't like the US so much. Because at the moment the US is the biggest and strongest, and they have to call it 'master'. In your words they are 'owned' by the US.
I am not condoning any attacks on the US of course, but am pointing out one reason why there is so much hostility.

just a thought

Upvote 0

SpaceProg

Renegade Time Lord
Jan 27, 2004
Here and there. Mostly there.
✟10,195.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Politics
US-Others
Peacefulness is not in human nature. You can train and train until you're blue in the face, but deep down all humans are selfish beasts that want what they want and are willing to fight to get it. That's all there is to it. The sad, stark reality.

At least, that's my opinion.

Upvote 0

ACougar

U.S. Army Retired
Feb 7, 2003
Arizona
Visit site
✟37,952.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Happy Birthday SpaceProg

SpaceProg said:
Peacefulness is not in human nature. You can train and train until you're blue in the face, but deep down all humans are selfish beasts that want what they want and are willing to fight to get it. That's all there is to it. The sad, stark reality.

At least, that's my opinion.

I agree that we start out that way, not good or evil but programed to fight for survival. However people change, they grow and die to thier old selves and are reborn. Cultures change, societies change, and people can change.

Eldermike said:
Weapons make peace possible. Without them the biggest and strongest you will have to call "master", they will own you.

Having the biggest, baddest weapons doesn't necessarily insure peace.. what it insures is that your enemies will never challenge you on the conventional battlefield (at least not the smart ones.)

Upvote 0

eldermike

Pray
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2002
NC
Visit site
✟20,209.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Having the biggest, baddest weapons doesn't necessarily insure peace.. what it insures is that your enemies will never challenge you on the conventional battlefield (at least not the smart ones.)

In this fallen world that's called peace.

Reactions: PACKY
Upvote 0

Psalms34

◄♫♪♫ תהלים ♫♪♫►
Nov 20, 2004
Southern Calif
✟22,982.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Constitution
Ecclesiastes 9:3This is an evil in all that is done under the sun, that there is one fate for all men Furthermore, the hearts of the sons of men are full of evil and insanity is in their hearts throughout their lives. Afterwards they go to the dead.

We who have new hearts in Christ should take note of this. I think man's natural condition really shows in this day and age. They say peace but their hearts are full of insanity. We may know what peace is since having received a new heart in Christ, but ultimately their peace is of another nature; being destruction of their enemy by any means necessary even under the guise of peace.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Psalms34

◄♫♪♫ תהלים ♫♪♫►
Nov 20, 2004
Southern Calif
✟22,982.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Constitution
ACougar said:
I wouldn't call it peace, it solves nothing. Nor does it mean we are safe, 9/11 and Oklahoma City should be enough evidence of that.
Well I don't recall my Church being forced to shut down so they can use the building to pray towards Mecca three times a day. Soooo... feelin kinda safe, myself.

Upvote 0

eldermike

Pray
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2002
NC
Visit site
✟20,209.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
ACougar said:
I wouldn't call it peace, it solves nothing. Nor does it mean we are safe, 9/11 and Oklahoma City should be enough evidence of that.

Safety is a whole other issue. I think safety is a personal issue. The rule of law has limits due to issues of freedom. Nut's are free until they do something terrible, that fact limits safety. To be totally safe we would have to give up freedom. That's not going to happen.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Psalms34

◄♫♪♫ תהלים ♫♪♫►
Nov 20, 2004
Southern Calif
✟22,982.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Constitution
Yep, peace is not necessarily synonymous with safety. To relate peace and safety in this world only means one thing which is a single mind set. Who's mind set would you like to adopt as your own? If such thought does not align with God's way of thinking then it will only result in sudden destruction.

1st Thess 5:3For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape.

Upvote 0

I_are_sceptical

Senior Veteran
May 21, 2004
✟19,271.00
Faith
Other Religion
Faith_Warrior said:
Who's mind set would you like to adopt as your own? If such thought does not align with God's way of thinking then it will only result in sudden destruction.
My beliefs about peace are based on the teachings of the religion I profess. Which is, by the way, not Christianity.

Upvote 0

SpaceProg

Renegade Time Lord
Jan 27, 2004
✟10,195.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Politics
US-Others
I_are_sceptical said:
My beliefs about peace are based on the teachings of the religion I profess. Which is, by the way, not Christianity.

For the simple reason that I'm a curious sort, I ask what religion do you profess?

Upvote 0

SpaceProg

Renegade Time Lord
Jan 27, 2004
✟10,195.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Politics
US-Others
Ah, I've heard of it. Read a little about it. I thought we had a Baha'i Icon here. *shrugs* I've had a friend in the past who was Baha'i. Your religion has very high hopes for humanity as a whole. Some would say unrealistic hopes, but hey... I'd like to see peace reign too someday. Maybe after we've grown a bit more as a species.

Upvote 0