May 21, 2004
NC, USA
✟21,162.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Spaceman_Spiff said:
Not to sound Star Trekish but how about we master our own world (aka: global peace)before we try and conquor space so in the event there is another intelligence we won't be divided.
Well even in Star Trek and Star wars it's war between other beings that makes these show interesting. So far there have been 6 Star Wars movie compared to 0 Star Peace movies.
Sadly one of the biggest driving force of science is war/military. We probably be surprised of how many scientists we have working on more weapons of war.

The trip to the moon was nothing but an ego trip will no real benefit to mankind. the statement should have been "One small step for man, one huge debt to mankind". In some ways space has become almost an American religion with the government spend tax dollars to space programs that are IMHO totally worthless. What real difference does it make how many rings Saturn has? if Mars had life or not, makes no difference now that it's nothing but a big dead rock.... boring! Exactly how does it help us knowing how much ice in a comet or where they come from? so what if there a 10th planet which is no doubt as dead as the other 8?

I like to add that depending too much on space (satellites) can be our downfall since satellites can be taken out.

Upvote 0

winglovesall

Apr 26, 2005
✟18,968.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think though -- I mean, it's about "lining up" -- at the moment, the US has dominated the world in culture, in its power and leadership and it's just a matter of who comes next and that will be China.

I mean -- it's about "taking turns" -- if you know what I mean -- Britain had its powerful days, the US is currently having powerful days and soon, China will be.

But I disagree highly on Monoculturalism and rather, Multiculturalism is important because we are able to learn about acceptance -- and see differences --

Upvote 0

erin74

Ministry is about people not structures.
Feb 8, 2005
rural australia
✟26,267.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Smidlee said:
The trip to the moon was nothing but an ego trip will no real benefit to mankind. the statement should have been "One small step for man, one huge debt to mankind". In some ways space has become almost an American religion with the government spend tax dollars to space programs that are IMHO totally worthless.

So the space shuttle is to the US what the royal family is the the UK!;)

Upvote 0

mnphysicist

Have Courage to Trust God!
May 11, 2005
South East Minnesota (east of Rochester)
Visit site
✟57,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
I think you are missing the benefits of all the spin off technology. Much of it would not have happend if not for the space program. This is apart from the quest for knowledge in and off itself.

Upvote 0

Psalms34

◄♫♪♫ תהלים ♫♪♫►
Nov 20, 2004
Southern Calif
✟22,982.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Constitution
Article goes on to say: "The United States thus far has managed to hold a military advantage in space without putting Star Wars-type weapons on geostational platforms."

But this won't last much longer if we do not take measures to defend what we do have in space. We don't need to be multi-nuked on our soil to have the US taken out. All we need are a bunch of satellite killers to strike and we are in the stone age for a long time to come. You may smirk at this but it's true. How incredibly naive so many are in this day :doh:

Upvote 0

PACKY

Contributor
Dec 24, 2004
✟24,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Faith_Warrior said:
Article goes on to say: "The United States thus far has managed to hold a military advantage in space without putting Star Wars-type weapons on geostational platforms."

But this won't last much longer if we do not take measures to defend what we do have in space. We don't need to be multi-nuked on our soil to have the US taken out. All we need are a bunch of satellite killers to strike and we are in the stone age for a long time to come. You may smirk at this but it's true. How incredibly naive so many are in this day :doh:

Your right about the Satellite killers...All a nation needs is a satellite of their own that releases a projectiles that zeroes in and either destroys or knocks out of orbit our Communications, GPS, Military, Weather satellites...its a scary thought,..whats even scarier is that it would be relatively cheap to do this...
look at teh deep impact space craft...it was able to hit a metorite on target ...a satellite moves much slower and lower....

Upvote 0

I_are_sceptical

Senior Veteran
May 21, 2004
✟19,271.00
Faith
Other Religion
Faith_Warrior said:
But this won't last much longer if we do not take measures to defend what we do have in space.
How about promoting the idea of world peace? And I'm not talking about peace secured by military strength, but secured by everyone loving and trusting one another. Perhaps we could teach such ideas to schoolchildren in every country on the planet, so that they will grow up ignorant of the very concept of war.

Can you imagine a world like that?

Upvote 0

PACKY

Contributor
Dec 24, 2004
✟24,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I_are_sceptical said:
How about promoting the idea of world peace? And I'm not talking about peace secured by military strength, but secured by everyone loving and trusting one another. Perhaps we could teach such ideas to schoolchildren in every country on the planet, so that they will grow up ignorant of the very concept of war.

Can you imagine a world like that?

You may say I am adreamer but I am not the only one...someday I hope youll join us and the world can live as one.. John Lennon :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

I_are_sceptical

Senior Veteran
May 21, 2004
✟19,271.00
Faith
Other Religion
Faith_Warrior said:
Suuuuuuuuure. We give up our weapons, they blow us up, blow themselves up, no one left, world peace. :help:
No, no, no, no. I'm saying we all give up our weapons, and the hatred that created those weapons and the desire to use them.

What do you say? Is it worth a try?

Upvote 0

I_are_sceptical

Senior Veteran
May 21, 2004
✟19,271.00
Faith
Other Religion
INFALLIBLE said:
You may say I am adreamer but I am not the only one...someday I hope youll join us and the world can live as one.. John Lennon :)
Yes, I agree with that. But when we come to the line "and no religion, too" the late Mr. Lennon and I part philosophical company.

Upvote 0

eldermike

Pray
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2002
NC
Visit site
✟20,209.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I_are_sceptical said:
No, no, no, no. I'm saying we all give up our weapons, and the hatred that created those weapons and the desire to use them.

Weapons make peace possible. Without them the biggest and strongest you will have to call "master", they will own you.

Upvote 0

I_are_sceptical

Senior Veteran
May 21, 2004
✟19,271.00
Faith
Other Religion
eldermike said:
Weapons make peace possible.
How about peace based on love instead of fear?

Without them the biggest and strongest you will have to call "master", they will own you.
As I said in an earler post, what if nobody has any weapons?

You are assuming a situation in which some do not have weapons but others do possess them. That is not what I am proposing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Psalms34

◄♫♪♫ תהלים ♫♪♫►
Nov 20, 2004
Southern Calif
✟22,982.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Constitution
I_are_sceptical said:

You are talking about fairy tales and not the cold reality of this world. There is no "all" but only us. Once we disarm you destroy us. That's the cold hard facts, dude.

Upvote 0

I_are_sceptical

Senior Veteran
May 21, 2004
✟19,271.00
Faith
Other Religion
Faith_Warrior said:
You are talking about fairy tales and not the cold reality of this world. There is no "all" but only us. That's the cold hard facts, dude.
I think that my religion is a new Revelation from God, and it teaches "The utterance of God is a lamp, whose light is these words: Ye are the fruits of one tree, and the leaves of one branch. Deal ye one with another with the utmost love and harmony, with friendliness and fellowship. He Who is the Day Star of Truth beareth Me witness! So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth. The one true God, He Who knoweth all things, Himself testifieth to the truth of these words."

and "The Earth is but one country and mankind it's citizens."

So to me it's not a fairy tale. It is the power of the Holy Spirit changing our hearts and bringing about the unity of the entire human race.

Once we disarm you destroy us.
Good point. Let's all disarm together, and each country have full rights to inspect any other country to make sure everyone fully complies.

Upvote 0

Psalms34

◄♫♪♫ תהלים ♫♪♫►
Nov 20, 2004
Southern Calif
✟22,982.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Constitution
I_are_sceptical said:
I think that my religion is a new Revelation from God, and it teaches "The utterance of God is a lamp, whose light is these words: Ye are the fruits of one tree, and the leaves of one branch. Deal ye one with another with the utmost love and harmony, with friendliness and fellowship. He Who is the Day Star of Truth beareth Me witness! So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth. The one true God, He Who knoweth all things, Himself testifieth to the truth of these words."

and "The Earth is but one country and mankind it's citizens."

So to me it's not a fairy tale. It is the power of the Holy Spirit changing our hearts and bringing about the unity of the entire human race.

Good point. Let's all disarm together, and each country have full rights to inspect any other country to make sure everyone fully complies.

And my God said:
Luke 22:35 And Jesus said to them, “When I sent you without money bag, knapsack, and sandals, did you lack anything?”
So they said, “Nothing.”
36 Then Jesus said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one. 37 For I say to you that this which is written must still be accomplished in Me: ‘And He was numbered with the transgressors.’ For the things concerning Me have an end.”
38 So they said, “Lord, look, here are two swords.”
And He said to them, “It is enough.”

What happened here? It was the end of God's ministry here on earth and God [Jesus] foretold of his death. Now it was time for them (us) to pick up their swords and defend themselves when it was required of them to do so.

This is a simple thing to understand that once the US disarms, it will be destroyed. Also Israel is in the same position, once Israel disarms it will be destroyed. This is the contempt of this world and I will never succeed to it in the least.

Upvote 0

PACKY

Contributor
Dec 24, 2004
✟24,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
ptsf_patches_02.jpg

hera ya go....

Upvote 0

revolutio

Apatheist Extraordinaire
Aug 3, 2003
R'lyeh
Visit site
✟6,762.00
Faith
Atheist
INFALLIBLE said:
ptsf_patches_02.jpg

hera ya go....
Si vis pacem, para bellum (If you want peace, prepare for war!) -- Flavius Vegetius Renatus (ca 390 AD) in Epitoma rei Militaris

We have been taking that approach for 1600 years or more. If it worked we would already be at peace, I would think.

Reactions: ScottishJohn
Upvote 0