May 28, 2015
✟614,057.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I'd lecture you on epidemiology but the time would be wasted. It doesn't matter what agency would be involved anyway as the NRA, et al, would do evrything possible to thwart the research so that it can complain that no research supports whatever criticism occurs.
ep·i·de·mi·ol·o·gy

ˌepəˌdēmēˈäləjē/

noun

the branch of medicine that deals with the incidence, distribution, and possible control of diseases and other factors relating to health.

Nope, no "gun" violence.....

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
the branch of medicine that deals with the incidence, distribution, and possible control of diseases and other factors relating to health.

See bolding above. Thanks.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You must be a gymnist bcause that is quite a stretch. Now had it said safety....you might have had something....
It's only a stretch to the uninformed. I've worked in healthcare 40 years, so I am well acquainted with the CDC. Now, which agency would you want to fund to do the research? Oh, wait. I know the answer: None.

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Bottom line, parents should secure guns, prescription meds, cleaning supplies, illegal drugs, swimming pools, matches, etc.
The challenge is with guns, securing them properly makes them useless for self defense for the most part. Our guns are in a gun safe that besides being far away frim where i sleep requires me to put on my glasses to open it. Not much use in a home invasion scenario but impossible for kids to access.
I imagine some of these high tech things like guns that can only be shot by the owner could fix that problem for those who feel safer with a gun underneath their pillow or in the nightstand (with the exemption of accidentally shooting your spouse when they come home late and startle you). Yet it seems that the NRA opposes things like that from what I've read.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Bottom line, parents should secure guns, prescription meds, cleaning supplies, illegal drugs, swimming pools, matches, etc.
The challenge is with guns, securing them properly makes them useless for self defense for the most part. Our guns are in a gun safe that besides being far away frim where i sleep requires me to put on my glasses to open it. Not much use in a home invasion scenario but impossible for kids to access.
I imagine some of these high tech things like guns that can only be shot by the owner could fix that problem for those who feel safer with a gun underneath their pillow or in the nightstand (with the exemption of accidentally shooting your spouse when they come home late and startle you). Yet it seems that the NRA opposes things like that from what I've read.
The NRA opposes any limitation, regardless. Period. End of discussion. Yes, securing the weapon means securing it. There is no perfect solution.

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟614,057.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
It's only a stretch to the uninformed. I've worked in healthcare 40 years, so I am well acquainted with the CDC. Now, which agency would you want to fund to do the research? Oh, wait. I know the answer: None.
The FBI would be far more appropriate; they have the personnel, the homicide experience, the investigating experience, the laboratories, the state reporting.....etc.....

Upvote 0

Mudinyeri

May 4, 2016
Nebraska
✟11,923.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The challenge is with guns, securing them properly makes them useless for self defense for the most part.

As a strong supporter of the Second Amendment (obviously), I disagree that proper security renders firearms useless. I show my students a variety of ways to properly secure their firearms while keeping them ready should there be an urgent need.

Yes, a traditional safe is a poor choice to fill the "urgent need" category. I could tell you a horrific story of a home invasion where the homeowner had several firearms in a traditional safe that were of no use (to the homeowner) during the invasion. It happened to a close, childhood friend of my administrative assistant at the time.

If someone wants to start another thread (minus the bashing of the NRA and firearms owners in general) discussing safe/urgent firearms "storage," I would be happy to chime in.

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Mudinyeri

May 4, 2016
Nebraska
✟11,923.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The FBI would be far more appropriate; they have the personnel, the homicide experience, the investigating experience, the laboratories, the state reporting.....etc.....

Actually, the FBI produces statistics related to firearms homicides every year. They are a sub-segment of the FBI's annual Uniform Crime Reporting. To my knowledge, the NRA has never lobbied to reduce funding for the UCR.

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
As a strong supporter of the Second Amendment (obviously), I disagree that proper security renders firearms useless. I show my students a variety of ways to properly secure their firearms while keeping them ready should there be an urgent need.

Yes, a traditional safe is a poor choice to fill the "urgent need" category. I could tell you a horrific story of a home invasion where the homeowner had several firearms in a traditional safe that were of no use (to the homeowner) during the invasion. It happened to a close, childhood friend of my administrative assistant at the time.

If someone wants to start another thread (minus the bashing of the NRA and firearms owners in general) discussing safe/urgent firearms "storage," I would be happy to chime in.
I'd be happy to hear of at least one way to keep firearms easily accessible and yet safe in a house full of small kids or struggling teens

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mudinyeri

May 4, 2016
Nebraska
✟11,923.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'd be happy to hear of at least one way to keep firearms easily accessible and yet safe in a house full of small kids or struggling teens

A biometric safe. Avoid the ones that require fingerprints, however.

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

When my kids were young, I carried my gun in a pocket holster. The kids couldn't access it (they would have to pick my pocket without my feeling it), but it was always available. Worked when they were teenagers too.

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
When my kids were young, I carried my gun in a pocket holster. The kids couldn't access it (they would have to pick my pocket without my feeling it), but it was always available.
What did you do when you slept, showered, etc.

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
At bedtime, my gun went under my pillow, and stayed there until next morning. When I showered, it went into the master bathroom with me.

When we moved into this house, I made certain changes that I have found useful. One of these changes was to install a locking doorknob on the master bedroom door (like most people have on their exterior doors). This made it easy to lock the kids out of the bedroom and bath when necessary, but my wife could still come and go. Making safety and security a habit helps a lot.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And zero experience in epidemiology. However their data would be available for research.

BTW would you actually support such research?

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Actually, the FBI produces statistics related to firearms homicides every year. They are a sub-segment of the FBI's annual Uniform Crime Reporting. To my knowledge, the NRA has never lobbied to reduce funding for the UCR.
Because the FBI has never done the type of research the CDC could do.

Upvote 0

Mudinyeri

May 4, 2016
Nebraska
✟11,923.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
And zero experience in epidemiology. However their data would be available for research.

The FBI's UCR? As much as I would support anything done by government. You may have noticed my libertarian political stance. In my mind, Rule #1 - as pertains to government - is "Less is better." Rule #2 is "See Rule #1."

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟614,057.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution

You might want to go to the prepper forum and start that thread.....I think you would have an attentive and appreciative audience.....

edit....you beat me to it. I will look for it....:oldthumbsup:

Last edited:
Reactions: Mudinyeri
Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟614,057.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution

Absolutely, I have no issue with research in making firearms safer; rendering them useless in the wrong hands....I want to see the politics taken out of it....therefore my suggestion of the FBI; there is good resources available and minimal political pressure.

Reactions: Mudinyeri
Upvote 0