Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟492,782.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
In considering that ~10% number, one can't ignore the aspect of other added safety features that have been added to cars in the last two decades as well.
The 10% are after accounting for these.

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Although I note your attempt to minimize the problem, I agree with your assertion that frequently gunowners are not held accountable for what happens with the weapons they own.

You don't have to minimize a small problem. You can only
blow it out of all proportion, like the anti-gun crowd do on
a regular basis.

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
You will recall that the NRA vehemently opposes and uses Congressional resources (sympathetic legislators) to keep real data about gun violence out of the discussion. The CDC is expressly forbidden studying this matter as a public health issue so it can, as you do, that no "reliable data" is available.

They oppose real data, reliable data or biased data?
And what does a disease center have to do with
firearms? You don't get measles from guns, just vaccines.

Reactions: civilwarbuff
Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
They oppose real data, reliable data or biased data?
And what does a disease center have to do with
firearms? You don't get measles from guns, just vaccines.
Try following the thread and links next time.

Reactions: Hetta
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,473,800.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
...because our laws make it unnecesssary.

I found that interesting. You are asserting that it doesn't happen because your laws prevent occurrences. Your laws should therefore make police unnecessary.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,473,800.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are challenges, though, like when you send your children to play at another house where they may have a gun around. Do they have a right to keep guns in the open around their kids? Do they have a right not to share that information with me?

I would suggest--no, I would assert--that if you let your children visit other houses with any frequency, it's a near certainty some of them are going to have illegal narcotics in the house. Your daughter will never sell her body for a box of ammunition, but she might sell it for heroin.

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

aieyiamfu

Nov 13, 2015
✟27,924.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36270215

Apparently shootings by toddlers of themselves and others are on the rise in the US. They find guns in drawers and under carseats, easily accessable.

What I really find shocking though is that only 28 states can prosecute the gun owner if a child finds such a gun and hurts themselves or others.

Also, if you have children or are babysitting, its common sense to lock away the bleach, bugspray or oven cleaner and keep them away from knives and so forth, but people are keeping loaded guns lying around everywhere? Do we really need to tell people that to baby proof their house involves locking away their guns?
Some of those shootings must have more to them than kid finds gun shoots self. I have owned a lot of guns I my life (hundreds) and not a one of them could a one year old chamber a round take off the safe and pull the trigger without help.

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I would suggest--no, I would assert--that if you let your children visit other houses with any frequency, it's a near certainty some of them are going to have illegal narcotics in the house. Your daughter will never sell her body for a box of ammunition, but she might sell it for heroin.
Not really sure what you are trying to say here.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,473,800.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not really sure what you are trying to say here.

That you should be more concerned about parents letting you know they have narcotics in the house--which will be a near certainty--and that narcotics are a greater danger than guns.

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
That you should be more concerned about parents letting you know they have narcotics in the house--which will be a near certainty--and that narcotics are a greater danger than guns.
I would phrase it in a way that doesn't imply that my children are in any way likely to become drug addicted prostitutes.
Maybe instead back it up with data showing your point that attending a birthday party at a home with narcotics is more likely to lead to addiction and prostitution than attending a birthday party at a house with unsecured guns could lead to an accidental shooting. It's much less offensive and a better witness, perhaps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,473,800.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would phrase it in a way that doesn't imply that my children are in any way likely to become drug addicted prostitutes.
Maybe instead back it up with data showing your point that attending a birthday party at a home with narcotics is more likely to lead to addiction and prostitution than attending a birthday party at a house with unsecured guns could lead to an accidental shooting. It's much less offensive and a better witness, perhaps.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/survey-reveals-shocking-levels-of-teen-drinking-drug-abuse/

When it came to drug use, 81 percent of teens said they had the opportunity to use illicit substances, with 42.5 percent actually tried them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
42.5 percent of teens trying illicit substances, while concerning, does not prove your point. I also think you might be equating narcotics/heroin with illicit substances and small children with teens. But whatever, the discussion started off in such a way (my daughter might sell her body . ..) that I can't imagine you were after serious discussion, but rather taking a shot at an opponent.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/survey-reveals-shocking-levels-of-teen-drinking-drug-abuse/

When it came to drug use, 81 percent of teens said they had the opportunity to use illicit substances, with 42.5 percent actually tried them.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟492,782.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,473,800.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are challenges, though, like when you send your children to play at another house where they may have a gun around. Do they have a right to keep guns in the open around their kids? Do they have a right not to share that information with me?

Do they have a right not to share whether they have illegal drugs in their house with you?

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Do they have a right not to share whether they have illegal drugs in their house with you?
You're a bit all over the map here, between illicit substances, narcotics. heroin and now illegal drugs. You're also missing the point about secured vs. unsecured. If you're talking about heroin left out around small children, yes. I would expect parents to share that info, but I don't think it's unlikely. But an illicit substance could include a beer in the fridge for an underage kid, or a prescription painkiller, or even a legal marijuana edible. Often parents in possession of these legal substances secure them to keep them safe from kids, just like they do with firearms. I would assume that they would also do that if they had illegal drugs, not only out of a desire to keep children safe but to keep attention away that would come if a child accidentally consumed the drug.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Disease Control="Gun Violence"......yep, those 2 are definitely connected....
I'd lecture you on epidemiology but the time would be wasted. It doesn't matter what agency would be involved anyway as the NRA, et al, would do evrything possible to thwart the research so that it can complain that no research supports whatever criticism occurs.

Upvote 0