Canada
Visit site
✟3,880.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Ok ok I'm late. Sorry :cry:

THESE QUESTIONS ARE FOR BAPTIST/ANABAPTIST MEMBERS ONLY.

LAST WEEKS WINNERS (SEE QUESTION (7) THREAD) ARE NOT ELIGIBLE TO ANSWER THIS WEEKS UNTIL I OPEN IT UP.

ANYONE WHO HAS SUCCESSFULLY ANSWERED A QUESTION TWO (FOR OLDER CHRISTIANS) CAN NOT ANSWER QUESTION ONE (FOR YOUNGER CHRISTIANS).

QUESTION ONE (FOR THE YOUNGER CHRISTIANS)

What were the urim and the thummim?
(there are a couple of different ideas that I will accept you probably won't find an answer directly in the Bible.. you might need a Bible dictionary for this one)

Answer = 150 blessings

QUESTION TWO (FOR THE OLDER CHRISTIANS)

What cult claimed to have the urim and thummim, and what did they claim that they were? What did they use them for?

Answer = 200 blessings

Bonus Question ONE (for any Baptist - Anabaptist)

If I wanted to find twelve stones of varied colors in the OT days where would I look within the walls of Jerusalem?

Answer 100 blessings

Bonus Question TWO (for any Baptist - Anabaptist)

Name the four stipulations for cannonization of a NT book.

Answer 150 blessings

(***Thanks Pastor George for this question!!!***)

OK git!

BT

Fanatic
Jan 29, 2003
Canada
Visit site
✟3,880.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
GEL has the question ALMOST answered.

What cult claimed to have the urim and thummim, and what did they claim that they were? What did they use them for?

She has the bolded portion answered. You can make her split the blessings if you answer the rest:

"and what did they claim that they were?"

Upvote 0

@@Paul@@

The Key that Fits:Acts 28
Mar 24, 2004
Seattle
✟11,081.00
Faith
Baptist
BT said:

She has the bolded portion answered. You can make her split the blessings if you answer the rest:

Man!! I watched the documentary on Mormons (regarding proof that Indians are not Hebrews) a few months ago... It covered all that :doh:

Upvote 0

mesue

Love all, trust a few. Do wrong to none.
Aug 24, 2003
Visit site
✟32,662.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
IMHO (and a little Bible studying)

Leviticus 8:8 And he put the breastplate upon him: also he put in the breastplate the Urim and the Thummim.

Ephesians 6:1: Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;

1Thessalonians 5:8: But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation.

Urim- Lights, fires

We are to wear the breastplate of righteousness and let our light shine unto men that they may see our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Matthew 5:16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

Thummim perfection, truth

We need to be in the word very day

John 17:17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

Jesus tells us to be perfect. We can only be perfect in Him, saved.

Matthew 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

We are not to squander what the Holy Spirit gives each of us to bring people to the Lord, do the Lord’s work, and to edify each other.

Ephesians 4:11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

Ephesians 4:12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

Above all, we are to love one another as Christ loved us.

John 13:34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

John 13:35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

John 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

:hug: :hug: :hug:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BT

Fanatic
Jan 29, 2003
Canada
Visit site
✟3,880.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
mesue said:
IMHO (and a little Bible studying)

Leviticus 8:8 And he put the breastplate upon him: also he put in the breastplate the Urim and the Thummim.

Urim- Lights, fires

Thummim perfection, truth
GOOD GOOD GOOD, but not done

He put them in the breastplate...but what were they?

KEEP LOOKIN!!! DIG DIG DIG!

Upvote 0

BT

Fanatic
Jan 29, 2003
Canada
Visit site
✟3,880.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
mesue said:
What? I missed the word judgements? That's what they are.
hrmm this is tricky, I want to make sure that I'm not asking the question in the wrong way.

What are the urim and thummim? They weren't "judgments" though they were put in the breastplate of judgment.

Look at it again, you'll get it.

Upvote 0

mesue

Aug 24, 2003
Visit site
✟32,662.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
BT said:
hrmm this is tricky, I want to make sure that I'm not asking the question in the wrong way.

What are the urim and thummim? They weren't "judgments" though they were put in the breastplate of judgment.

Look at it again, you'll get it.
Exodus 28:30 And thou shalt put in the breastplate of judgment the Urim and the Thummim; and they shall be upon Aaron's heart, when he goeth in before the LORD: and Aaron shall bear the judgment of the children of Israel upon his heart before the LORD continually.

Easton's Bible Dictionary: said:
\Thummim\
perfection (LXX., "truth;" Vulg., "veritas"), Ex. 28:30; Deut.33:8; Judg. 1:1; 20:18; 1 Sam. 14:3,18; 23:9; 2 Sam. 21:1. Whatthe "Urim and Thummim" were cannot be determined with any certainty. All we certainly know is that they were a certain divinely-given means by which God imparted, through the high priest, direction and counsel to Israel when these were needed.The method by which this was done can be only a matter of mere conjecture. They were apparently material objects, quitedistinct from the breastplate, but something added to it after all the stones had been set in it, something in addition to the breastplate and its jewels. They may have been, as some suppose, two small images, like the teraphim (comp. Judg. 17:5; 18:14,17, 20; Hos. 3:4), which were kept in the bag of the
breastplate, by which, in some unknown way, the high priest could give forth his divinely imparted decision when consulted. They were probably lost at the destruction of the temple by Nebuchadnezzar. They were never seen after the return from captivity.
Hosea 3:4 For the children of Israel shall abide many days without a king, and without a prince, and without a sacrifice, and without an image, and without an ephod, and without teraphim:

How's that? Thank you for a cool Bible study :hug:

Upvote 0

BT

Fanatic
Jan 29, 2003
Canada
Visit site
✟3,880.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
mesue said:
Exodus 28:30 And thou shalt put in the breastplate of judgment the Urim and the Thummim; and they shall be upon Aaron's heart, when he goeth in before the LORD: and Aaron shall bear the judgment of the children of Israel upon his heart before the LORD continually.

Hosea 3:4 For the children of Israel shall abide many days without a king, and without a prince, and without a sacrifice, and without an image, and without an ephod, and without teraphim:

How's that? Thank you for a cool Bible study :hug:
[/size]
Perfect!!! You nailed it that time. Yes they were either "small objects like the teraphim" or the other acceptable answer was that they were some kind of jewels (some believe diamonds). Either answer was acceptable as long as you included that they were used for making decisions etc. and that they were eventually lost.

Smith's Bible Dictionary said:
Urim and Thummim
U'rim and Thum'mim

(light and perfection). When the Jewish exiles were met on their return from Babylon by a question which they had no data for answering, they agreed to postpone the settlement of the difficulty till there should rise up "a priest with Urim and Thummim."

The inquiry what those Urim and Thummim themselves were seems likely to wait as long for a final and satisfying answer. On every side we meet with confessions of ignorance. Urim means "light," and Thummim "perfection." Scriptural statements. --The mysterious words meet us for the first time, as if they needed no explanation, in the description of the high Priest's apparel. Over the ephod there is to be a "breastplate of judgment" of gold, scarlet, purple and fine linen, folded square and doubled, a "span" in length and width. In it are to be set four rows of precious stones, each stone with the name of a tribe of Israel engraved on it, that Aaron "may bear them on his heart." Then comes a further order. In side the breastplate, as the tables of the covenant were placed inside the ark, are to be placed "the Urim and the Thummim," the light and the perfection; and they too are to be on Aaron's heart when he goes in before the Lord.

Not a word describes them. They are mentioned as things-already familiar both to Moses and the people, connected naturally with the functions of the high priest as mediating between Jehovah and his people. The command is fulfilled.

They pass from Aaron to Eleazar with the sacred ephod and other pontificalia.

Nu 20:28

When Joshua is solemnly appointed to succeed the great hero-law-giver he is bidden to stand before Eleazar, the priest, "who shall ask counsel for him after the judgment of Urim," and this counsel is to determine the movements of the host of Israel.
Nu 27:21
In the blessings of Moses they appear as the crowning glory of the tribe of Levi: "thy Thummim and thy Urim are with thy Holy One."
De 33:8-9
In what way the Urim and Thummim were consulted is quite uncertain. Josephus and the rabbins supposed that the stones gave out the oracular answer by preternatural illumination; but it seems to be far simpler and more in agreement with the different accounts of inquiries made by Urim and Thummim,

1Sa 14:3,18-19; 23:2,4,9,11-12; 28:6; Jg 20:28; 2Sa 5:23

etc., to suppose that the answer was given simply by the word of the Lord to the high priest comp.

Joh 11:51

when, clothed with the ephod and the breastplate, he had inquired of the Lord. Such a view agrees with the true notion of the breastplate.
My Manners and Customs Textbook said:
... Connected with this breastplate where the Urim and Thummim - Lights and Perfections - but precisely what these were no one knows. They were used as a means of consulting the LORD in case of doubt (Numbers 27:21; 1 Samuel 28:6). How they were used is not known. Some think that the twelve stones were the Urim and Thummim, the stones themselves being the Urim, or Lights, and the names of the tribes engraved on them being the Thummim, or Perfections, because they represented the tribes in their tribal integrity. From the fact that the Urim and Thummim are said to be in the breastplate, others think they were seperate from the twelve stones and were put into the pocket behind them. Some believe them to have been three precious stones that were placed in this pouch of the breastplate to be used for casting lots to decided questions of doubts; and that on one of the stones was engraved YES, on another NO, the third being without inscription. The stone drawn out by the high priest would indicate the answer: affirmative, negative, or no answer to be given. This may be so, but there is no proof of it. Someone further suggested that the Urim and Thumminm was a diamond, kept in the pocket of the breastplate, and having the ineffable name of the Deity inscribed on it. This one believed that this is the "white stone" referred to in Revelation 2:17. Again, there is no proof of this, and all such things are only speculations best left until the LORD clarifies it all in the ages to come.

AWESOME ANSWER!!!

Glad you got something out of the Question of the Week!!!

Blessings coming up!!

Congratulations Mesue!!

:clap:

Reactions: mesue
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mesue

Aug 24, 2003
Visit site
✟32,662.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
BT said:
Perfect!!! You nailed it that time. Yes they were either "small objects like the teraphim" or the other acceptable answer was that they were some kind of jewels (some believe diamonds). Either answer was acceptable as long as you included that they were used for making decisions etc. and that they were eventually lost.

AWESOME ANSWER!!!

Glad you got something out of the Question of the Week!!!

Blessings coming up!!

Congratulations Mesue!!

:clap:
Hey, thanks for the opportunity to study the word. :D It was awesome. :thumbsup:
you would make a great teacher, you're a good motivator.

Upvote 0

BT

Fanatic
Jan 29, 2003
Canada
Visit site
✟3,880.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
YOU'RE ALMOST THERE!!!

BT said:

Upvote 0

BT

Fanatic
Jan 29, 2003
Canada
Visit site
✟3,880.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
mesue said:
okay, do I get to answer another one? I don't want a prize, I just want to answer :D

or, should I wait?
Hi Mesue!

You can still answer the other bonus question, and if GEL or someone else doesn't get the rest of the Question Two I'll make it open for everyone (including you) tomorrow.

You have to take the blessings! It's the rule! :D

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.