✟15,137.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
...where to start?

I've got close to no experience of playing any musical instrument, but I really fancy playing the guitar.

So

- what kind should I get? What should I look for in a guitar?
- can I teach myself easily? Or should I get lessons?

and also any tips, advice or warnings would be helpful.

Nov 16, 2008
✟15,112.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Well, it depends what kind of guitar you're looking for.

Electric? Acoustic? Electric Acousic?

Are you going to be playing through a sound system (such as in a worship band) or are you going to just be teaching yourself?

For Electric Acoustic/Acoustic: I would invest in an Ovation. I play in my youth group's worship band, and it is AMAZING sounding when played through a system. Also sounds good acoustically. Don't cheap out, invest in one that is around $400-$600

Electric: I really can't help you. I use my youth pastor's old electric guitar, but I have heard good things about Gibsons.

Upvote 0

liftmeup

May 12, 2009
✟15,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
first off I would recommend getting a very cheap classical guitar, or even better finding someone that has one that they aren't using. Because:

a) the strings are wider spaced and easier to finger
b) you might not stick to the hobby so there's no point investing a lot of money.

As for learning, there are many resources on the web nowadays for learning guitar. That includes video tutorials and tab/chord sites where you can get the music for favourite songs. However a good old fashioned teach yourself guitar book is still best IMO, even if you do have lessons at some points. You must get the basic chords in the bag first out and be able to freely switch between them. No point getting lessons to achieve this part.

Upvote 0

BroBarry

Help Me To See Clearly O Lord
Jun 10, 2006
Southern U.S.
✟15,418.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If you want to play folk music, I would personally go with any kind of cheap steel string guitar(just a regular acoustic). You could go to any music store and get a peavy or squire beginner guitar kit. Lessons are great if they are an option for you. If not, then get yourself a chord book and learn your basic chords. From there you can move on to songs, tabs and all that good stuff.

Upvote 0

SwiftShadowFox00

swift shadow fox
Jul 23, 2009
Pasadena - California
✟15,144.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
well, generally you should get a cheaper guitar to start off with. then you need to start practicing the simple chords first such as G, C, D, E, Em
(try a C#)(instead of stretching your fingers like the regular C)
(play a G and then move those top two fingers down one set of strings and WALAAHH!!! other C!)
(much easier than regular C at first). not to scare you either but as a warning. when you start guitar your fingers will sometimes hurt when playing. i did not really have too much of that problem when i started, but some people complain about it like they just went to hell or something. pick out an ok classical guitar, dont make it too expensive because as that other guy said, you might decide its not your instrument.

but other than that. im sure you will do awesome. dont compare yourself to other people because that just puts you down. there are a couple of really easy worship songs that you could start off with. (just message me and ill give you the list and ill throw in a couple lessons to help you start out)

SHadowFOX-

Upvote 0

graphite412

Eastern Orthodox Neophyte
Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
✟30,318.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
ya take someone experience with you. Depending on how hard a guitar is to play will determine what sort of playing experience you will have. Some cheaper guitar will have string that are high off the neck or that have frets that stick out. These can be painful. I would also recommend learning how to read music. I would recommend Frederick Noad's solo guitar 1 or Christopher Parkenings 1st book. These can be found at alibirs or amazon for dirt cheap. These are for classical style. Do a book like this and then do chords, and scales. Practice jammin with cds and other music. Practice solos. Software like Band in a Box can also help. Feel free to ask me any questions. I've taught guitar for a couple years and it was my major instrument in my music tech degree.

Upvote 0

Skilletdude

Aug 20, 2006
California
✟8,495.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The only advice I got prior to buying a guitar was: Buy one that sounds good to you. If you don't like the sound, you're not gonna stick with it.

I just bought a guitar the other day to learn how to play. I had no clue what to get going in. Just what sound I liked and I was pretty set on an acoustic guitar. Looked up a bunch of videos on youtube of songs I was familiar with to get an idea for different sounds and the classical was my favorite. So I just went to the nearest Guitar Center, asked someone to help me out. Told him I was a complete noob, know nothing about them but I'd like to learn. He showed me a bunch of stuff in my price range, explained the quality of guitars, strings blah blah.. had him play a couple for me to get idea of the sounds etc. Finally after about 45 minutes, picked out a nice classical Cordoba guitar and came with a guitar bag too.

Anyway, then I bought a book for beginners on playing Classical Guitar style (Fredrick Noads Solo Guitar Playing #1), and a nice electric tuner.

I love it though. I've just been doing finger exercises on it the last two days. Get bored, pull that out and practice.... even during a movie I was just sitting there playin with it. I dunno but I really like it. It's small, light, perfect for my size and I love the sound ^_^

Upvote 0