Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
At my vocational school in high school, I always thought typing was for girls. Boy was I wrong. :(

Yeah I didn't learn typing either and I'm a woman (born in '68), simply because I wasn't getting into secretarial work...

Hahaha. I didn't have much foresight when I was younger.

Kids that type 170 wpm these days just make me a little jealous... Lol

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There was a moral underlayment that is almost gone now... we see the effect on everything:preach:
I wasn't brought up religious but I never liked Heckle and Jeckle or the Roadrunner (a couple of others?) cartoons because the characters were mean in my opinion. I viewed my son-in-law as Eddie Haskel in Leave it to Beaver. lol Does anyone remember Threes Company, as a young person, my thoughts weren't pure. Looking back I recognize how media shaped my thinking. And today, now I know what my parents were thinking.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Standing. Along the side of the road waiting for President Kennedy to go by in his white limo. We waved and he waved back. Typing this tears came. I can still see it in my mind. He was sure special.
You showing your age lol. This is the first remembrance of trauma. I was 3 years old and my mom was balling her eyes out and confused I was wondering why the TV was making my mom cry. I can still remember the image.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The op isn’t really a Christian, the owner of this forum, through many accounts on here he runs, he wants you to ‘CHANGE’. He wants you to be a pro lgbt antichrist like him, I know him and he ain’t Christian. Good luck at the judgment don’t fall for it anyone.
Look, Dude try not to be too legalistic. All I see here is people giving past experiences and seeing how they relate to my own. Now that I'm older I kind of like reminiscing on the past.

Upvote 0

MForbes

Rejoining Member
Oct 12, 2023
Georgia
✟28,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The op isn’t really a Christian, the owner of this forum, through many accounts on here he runs, he wants you to ‘CHANGE’. He wants you to be a pro lgbt antichrist like him, I know him and he ain’t Christian. Good luck at the judgment don’t fall for it anyone.
jibber jabber.....

Upvote 0

MForbes

Rejoining Member
Oct 12, 2023
Georgia
✟28,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Walt Disney every Sunday for me.
Yup....Wonderful World of Color (later changed to Wonderful World of Disney) was our favorite show Sunday evenings. What I didn't care for was Lawrence Welk....sometimes us kids had to sit through that if we wanted to watch our Disney show.

• Haha
Reactions: Laodicean60
Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yup....Wonderful World of Color (later changed to Wonderful World of Disney) was our favorite show Sunday evenings. What I didn't care for was Lawrence Welk....sometimes us kids had to sit through that if we wanted to watch our Disney show.
I guess Lawrence was a thing back then for our parents. I hid out in my room. Learn something new every day "Wonderful World of Color ", and I forgot the name "Wonderful World of Disney",

Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

MForbes

Rejoining Member
Oct 12, 2023
Georgia
✟28,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I guess Lawrence was a thing back then for our parents. I hid out in my room. Learn something new every day "Wonderful World of Color ", and I forgot the name "Wonderful World of Disney",
It was Wonderful World of Color from '61 to '69, and then changed to Wonderful World of Disney. We never saw the "color" though. We had a black and white TV set until around '72.

1706447250614.png

Upvote 0

MForbes

Rejoining Member
Oct 12, 2023
Georgia
✟28,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Same here, our kids don't know how hard we had it.
We had it hard.....our parents had it even harder....and our grandparents were in the Great Depression.

It's incredible to think back now. Our black and white TV set was 13"....and all 5 of us sat around watching it. Didn't think twice about how small it was. When we finally got our color set, it was 19"....HOLY COW it was BIG to us!

And nowadays....well, I don't think I need to explain, do I?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟48,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It was when The Lawrence Welk Show was in syndication, but they did cover One Toke Over the Line. I kid you not. I guess they were being current.
It's interesting to think about the old shows, because we had limited TV reception, and it seems one station changed affiliates.

I can't nail down the earliest show I can recall due to syndication. That mixes things up. The earliest one I can pin down to an exact date is when Jack Ruby shot Lee Harvey Oswald on live TV. Can close my eyes and still see it. Can remember bits of JFK's funeral. The boots backward in the stirrups really stands out, as does the drum cadence. Can remember a theme for The Huntley-Brinkley Report. I had to look it up. It's Beethoven's Symphony No. 9, 2nd Movement.

For whatever reason, I could always remember music. I don't recall watching The Ed Sullivan Show, but must have at one point for when I watched a rerun one night, immediately recognized the theme.

There was a syndicated program we watched Sunday mornings while getting ready for church. It was called Jubilee, and was gospel singing. That show ran over a long span of years.

Upvote 0

MForbes

Rejoining Member
Oct 12, 2023
Georgia
✟28,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There was a syndicated program we watched Sunday mornings while getting ready for church. It was called Jubilee, and was gospel singing. That show ran over a long span of years.
I remember that show.

Jubilee (Jubilee)
Jubilee (Jubilee)
You're invited to this Happy Jubilee!
Jubilee (Jubilee)
Jubilee (Jubilee)
You're invited to this Gospel Jubilee!

Of course, who can forget the Davey and Goliath cartoon on Sunday morning?

I can also remember when JFK was shot. My mom was bawlin' her eyes out....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟48,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Okay, how many of us remember using slide rules and log tables? Taught myself how to use a slide rule I bought from the drug store, but a few years later transitioned to a scientific calculator. Some teachers and professors required us to use the then ubiquitous logarithm tables in the back of math and science text books. But a coworker who was just a year behind me in school had never used a slide rule.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We had it hard.....our parents had it even harder....and our grandparents were in the Great Depression.
I didn't realize it till I was older, can you imagine how our kids are going to think about their youth 20-30 years from now? I still remember the 36" TV I had and it was a two-man lift.

Upvote 0

MForbes

Rejoining Member
Oct 12, 2023
Georgia
✟28,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I didn't realize it till I was older, can you imagine how our kids are going to think about their youth 20-30 years from now? I still remember the 36" TV I had and it was a two-man lift.
There are times when I wish we knew what we know now when we were kids. I would've been the "perfect" son, and would've understood what my parents went through and were going through. I sometimes lament what I put my parents through.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Okay, how many of us remember using slide rules and log tables? Taught myself how to use a slide rule I bought from the drug store, but a few years later transitioned to a scientific calculator. Some teachers and professors required us to use the then ubiquitous logarithm tables in the back of math and science text books. But a coworker who was just a year behind me in school had never used a slide rule.
You must have been a nerd. jk I never used slide rule but I remember asking for a TI calculator and boy was it expensive. Did any of your moms have to work? When my mom started working it was a shock to me.

Upvote 0

MForbes

Rejoining Member
Oct 12, 2023
Georgia
✟28,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Did any of your moms have to work? When my mom started working it was a shock to me.
My mom started working after I graduated high school and joined the Army. Not sure if she needed to work, or just wanted to work.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My mom started working after I graduated high school and joined the Army. Not sure if she needed to work, or just wanted to work.
My mom started working around 75-76. I tried to join the Navy in 78 but I had a hearing problem with too much rock and roll. Then in 81, I cheated at MEP and was able to get into the Army. I pulled back the curtain and pressed the button when I saw the guy next to me pressing. I had to take the hearing test twice. I was desperate to join the service because I knew where I was headed because friends were going to jail at that time.

• Informative
Reactions: enoob57
Upvote 0